Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

58 minutes ago, bolt said:

Yes I admitted my bias to the Conservatives but you and others have no bias in favor of Justin? 

I'm pretty sure if Jasper burnt down during PPs time as PM you would be all over him but yeah if you have to say you have no bias to your echo chamber..

I'm all over the moron Premier of Alberta over their blame in this.  As Hip has pointed out over and over blaming the Feds on this is a fools errand. 

I've made it clear that I have zero faith in CONs.  That doesn't mean I'm 100% in JTs favour.  But I'll vote Liberal over CON or the People's party of Crazy any day of the week that ends in Y.

• ThereItIs 1

Seeing all this political gamesmanship bullshit going on, and the related tribalism that follows, makes me wonder if the UBC AMS (student society) had it right back in the late '90s, early 2000s.  At that time, a motion was made to kill all political slates from entering the AMS elections.  I can't remember the rationale behind it, but I think in retrospect it would make for a better Parliament and better Legislative Assemblies in all the Provinces.

As it stands now, if you strip away the veneer of polished political party platforms and supposedly shared ideals, you'll find that it's not the ideals, vision, leadership qualities, or sense of representation that drives who gets elected into the House.  At its very core, it's about fundraising.  Who can fundraise the most, who can capture financial support from people of influence, who can convince people to shell thousands of dollars to attend some bullshit dinner with other bigwigs.

What I'd like to see is that all parties get abolished, and all candidates run as independents.  No national support team.  No party-owned public relations crew.  No sworn allegiances that end up being worth less than the toilet paper used to wipe their ass once something politically expedient compels them to shift their allegiance elsewhere.

Each candidate for each riding should run based on their own merits, and each candidate should aim to reach the House with their voters' mandate in hand.

How does one choose a PM then?  And how do ministers get chosen?

Simple, majority vote of the House.  The PM would then appoint their ministers either from the members in the House, or (as we might see with Carney) brought in from outside the House on the basis of their expertise.  

This would be the true and purest form of proportional representation, and it would also make the member beholden to their constituents that elected them to the position.  It would also ensure that there would be meaningful debate from different perspectives representative of the different parts of the country from coast to coast to coast.

7 hours ago, bolt said:

They should if the truely cared about climate change.  Nothing is stopping them from investing in a National park fire service

7 hours ago, Satchmo said:

You are really grasping at straws with this one Bolt.  I'm not sure you care how weak an argument is as long as there is a chance to blame the left for something.

No, he might have something here…

We’ll do away with “Axe the Tax” and go with “Max the Tax” to pay for it.

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

image.jpeg.7538cdd040b8f5926ef5aff3c71541b0.jpeg

I’ve noticed this black flag symbol around Vancouver but didn’t really think much of it. Was out in Chilliwack and they seemed to be on every second pickup. Drivers had the obligatory shitty beards and ball caps. I now assume this is some trucker/anti-vax brotherhood symbol. Anyone know if that is the case?

51 minutes ago, Grocery Stick said:

I’ve noticed this black flag symbol around Vancouver but didn’t really think much of it. Was out in Chilliwack and they seemed to be on every second pickup. Drivers had the obligatory shitty beards and ball caps. I now assume this is some trucker/anti-vax brotherhood symbol. Anyone know if that is the case?

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/07/27/controversial-version-of-canadian-flag-displayed-at-opp-union-building/

45 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The flag in the OP has no blue horizontal stripe so it might not mean fallen officer.   I looked around a bit and could not find what this flag means.  I did see you can buy them for 2.80 on Amazon.

Soldiers in Afghanistan wore black and grey:

The Black and grey flag on their uniforms was from a type of ink that could be seen through night vision so that they could be identified by allied forces and our own forces, thus reducing friendly fire casualties.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

The flag in the OP has no blue horizontal stripe so it might not mean fallen officer.   I looked around a bit and could not find what this flag means.  I did see you can buy them for 2.80 on Amazon.

Soldiers in Afghanistan wore black and grey:

The Black and grey flag on their uniforms was from a type of ink that could be seen through night vision so that they could be identified by allied forces and our own forces, thus reducing friendly fire casualties.

Maybe but based on the vehicles I have seen they sure don’t look like veterans or police sympathizers…….could be wrong and shouldn’t judge a book by its cover I suppose. I like a good conspiracy theory so I am going it’s a sanitized version of the f’Trudeau sticker. I really don’t know though.

I still remember giving basically Pro-Russian (in respect of the war in Ukraine) comments which was politically quite stupid given the large amount of people with Ukrainian ancestry in that province.  She's the right of center version of Justin Trudeau.  All style and no substance (just like Junior).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

23 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Jesus H.....this is so fucking weak.....:picard:

Trudeau is not obligated to give time to every idiot who pretends to be a journalist, but is just trying to score political points.....and when he is on vacation, he isn't obligated to answer anyone's questions....

The fact that you think you scored something by posting this garbage says everything about you.....

It actually made me sympathize with Trudeau, and I don’t even like him.

• Cheers 3

16 hours ago, Grocery Stick said:

It's more a case of being cheaper to produce and standing out more 

It's absolutely being used in the same manor as the bells angels wearing their items ... It's a delusional fantasy that they are the true hero's of the country and want to play pretend soldiers and have the flag for personal use

The basteredization of the maple leaf for the klown Konvoy patriots Klub has made a complete mockery of the flag and is why many don't feel the maple leave represents Canada anymore 

Just like the thin blue line flag. I have no issue with it being modified for personal use but the OPP flying it shows a fundamental lack of any professionalism or respect for the flag and Canada 

These extremist zealots need to create their own flag and leave the Canadian flag out of personal politics...... Then again these actions are intentional and designed to normalize extreme radicalized behaviors and hate as being patriotic 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/25/2024 at 2:26 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sadly, detractors of the climate change reality will state that it's just a normal part of the earth's environmental cycle, that humans won't be able to impact it much... :picard:

.......and then maybe claim god's will as part of their argument, saying that if we had been a little more pious, we'd have been spared the growing cataclysm that their god will use to cleanse the world of sinners.  :classic_rolleyes:

Well, we keep having wildfires, so I guess he isn’t praying hard enough.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Sapper said:

The basteredization of the maple leaf for the klown Konvoy patriots Klub has made a complete mockery of the flag and is why many don't feel the maple leave represents Canada anymore 

Don't give these tools that much power, they don't own our flag. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

16 minutes ago, Sapper said:

It's absolutely being used in the same manor as the bells angels wearing their items ... It's a delusional fantasy that they are the true hero's of the country and want to play pretend soldiers and have the flag for personal use

Just like the thin blue line flag. I have no issue with it being modified for personal use but the OPP flying it shows a fundamental lack of any professionalism or respect for the flag and Canada 

These extremist zealots need to create their own flag and leave the Canadian flag out of personal politics...... Then again these actions are intentional and designed to normalize extreme radicalized behaviors and hate as being patriotic 

Sapper, I think you nailed it.

also, this guy as well

“One of the great attractions of patriotism – it fulfills our worst wishes. In the person of our nation we are able, vicariously, to bully and cheat. Bully and cheat, what’s more, with a feeling that we are profoundly virtuous.”

Aldous Huxley

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Did she really think people are stupid and wouldn’t notice?

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think she has dumb staff. 

I think Jimmy has the right of it here....

As much as I don't believe Danielle Smith will ever be a returning champion on Jeopardy, I doubt that she spends her time doing stuff like this. The quote might be hers, but it was probably someone on her staff who searched for the image and then put out the tweet.

Had to chuckle a bit about this letter to the Editor in the Edmonton Sun.....seems like not everyone in 'Berta is a complete partisan hack:

BLAME TRUDEAU

As I watched in horror the terrible events from Jasper, I wondered what had happened that brought about the conditions that made a catastrophe like the fires possible. Then I listened to the evacuees on the national news and read the Postmedia columnists and learned that all the blame lay squarely at the feet of Justin Trudeau. If only we could go back to the way the park was in November 2015 when there was no chance of a disaster like this.

What was really funny is that the response from the Sun didn't make it clear that they knew this was sarcasm.....:classic_rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Had to chuckle a bit about this letter to the Editor in the Edmonton Sun.....seems like not everyone in 'Berta is a complete partisan hack:

BLAME TRUDEAU

As I watched in horror the terrible events from Jasper, I wondered what had happened that brought about the conditions that made a catastrophe like the fires possible. Then I listened to the evacuees on the national news and read the Postmedia columnists and learned that all the blame lay squarely at the feet of Justin Trudeau. If only we could go back to the way the park was in November 2015 when there was no chance of a disaster like this.

What was really funny is that the response from the Sun didn't make it clear that they knew this was sarcasm.....:classic_rolleyes:

It's too subtle for the province with a multigenerational victim complex. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/27/2024 at 12:40 PM, Sapper said:

Its just a black and white version of our flag as it probably just looks better on his white and black truck, its not super uncommon. Some people think everything is a big conspiracy or look for deeper meanings. 

26 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Its just a black and white version of our flag as it probably just looks better on his white and black truck, its not super uncommon. Some people think everything is a big conspiracy or look for deeper meanings. 

It has a meaning for fallen law enforcement, but that usually has a blue line.

It is also used as low-vis for military applications. 

For those reasons, if a person doesn't have ties to people that serve, I would hope they dont use that version of our flag. Just imo.

There has been so much use of our flag for things that a lot of Canadians dont agree with, I can understand people being wary of seeing it now. 

Sad that it is such, our flag should unify us. Canada rules. 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

It has a meaning for fallen law enforcement, but that usually has a blue line.

It is also used as low-vis for military applications. 

For those reasons, if a person doesn't have ties to people that serve, I would hope they dont use that version of our flag. Just imo.

There has been so much use of our flag for things that a lot of Canadians dont agree with, I can understand people being wary of seeing it now. 

Sad that it is such, our flag should unify us. Canada rules. 

I'm not opposed to changing the flag slightly.  I'm not sure the current one can recover from the amount of disgrace the neo-Nazis have brought to it.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not opposed to changing the flag slightly.  I'm not sure the current one can recover from the amount of disgrace the neo-Nazis have brought to it.

I dunno, maybe it will die down over time. I wouldnt want a change.

It does suck though, It feels like you cant fly the flag without someone thinking it might be a political statement. 

• Upvote 1