Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dunno, maybe it will die down over time. I wouldnt want a change.

It does suck though, It feels like you cant fly the flag without someone thinking it might be a political statement. 

I'm not thinking anything drastic, more something similar to when Toronto changed their logo from the 80s/90s one to their current logo. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not thinking anything drastic, more something similar to when Toronto changed their logo from the 80s/90s one to their current logo. 

I'm hearing ya but what stops another political group from just adopting that new version too down the road?

We just gotta take it back over time.

The flag is for all of us. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

It has a meaning for fallen law enforcement, but that usually has a blue line.

It is also used as low-vis for military applications. 

For those reasons, if a person doesn't have ties to people that serve, I would hope they dont use that version of our flag. Just imo.

There has been so much use of our flag for things that a lot of Canadians dont agree with, I can understand people being wary of seeing it now. 

Sad that it is such, our flag should unify us. Canada rules. 

Yeah usually the blue strip indicates support fallen law enforcement and not having bright red on military uniforms makes sense. In this case just on some ones truck you cant assume its for any of those reasons, if its upside down or something silly then yeah. He may just be proud of his country.   

Edited by Bure_Pavel

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Its just a black and white version of our flag as it probably just looks better on his white and black truck, its not super uncommon. Some people think everything is a big conspiracy or look for deeper meanings. 

Normally true but in this case it is for their personal ideology branding 

Before the klown Konvoy few vehicles other than those who may frequently be crossing the border had the maple leaf full time on their trucks. Prior to the Konvoy it normally happened during international sporting events Canada participated in and Canada Day.  It's the new fake hanging balls the 3/4 tons displayed ..... 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/this-is-a-success-jasper-mayor-defends-parks-canada-over-wildfire-management/ar-BB1qQ5Sn?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f4701634f36c47049e9f9c0b01253f49&ei=53

'

Jasper’s mayor said Monday he rejects any suggestion that Parks Canada failed in its management of Jasper National Park against the risk of wildfire, saying their efforts resulted in 70 per cent of the town remaining intact.

Richard Ireland  whose own home was burned  said he’s heard criticism against the federal department coming from residents of Jasper, who he acknowledged are reeling from seeing a third of the town’s structures being destroyed by an out-of-control wildfire last week.

“For anyone who might see this as a failure, I reject that premise,” he told reporters during a briefing Monday. “This is a success.”

He said people are asking why more of the forest was not cleared, particularly of pine-beetle dead trees, which critics suggest may have fed the wildfire. While officials say they played a factor, Ireland said it is simply not feasible to have cleared the area.

“We’re talking about a stretch of land, a valley that’s kilometres wide and 30 kilometres long and it is absolutely full of pine-beetle dead trees,” said Ireland. “There is no conceivable way to remove all of them, so we had to prepare for the eventuality of fire.”

Parks Canada President and CEO Ron Hallman said heavy winds and dry temperatures caused the inferno to grow quickly, adding that firefighters had to battle a fast-moving wall of flames that towered high above the trees that foiled regular fire-fighting techniques.

Hallman also defended the work Parks Canada had done to date to manage the park, saying he understands people have questions and that there will be a time and place to seek answers.

Destruction caused by pine beetles has been an issue Alberta and British Columbia have faced for years, he said, adding it is that one that Parks Canada already uses prescribed burns to help remove.

“I’m well aware that there’s a debate out there and I’ll leave that to those who are interested in having that,” Hallman said.

Over the past decade, he says Parks Canada has lit 15 prescribed burns in Jasper burning “thousands of hectares” in the park alone.

Hallman added that over his 30 year career as a public servant, where he has worked for 12 different ministers under four different prime ministers, the issue around the risks posed by pine beetles has never been politicized.

“We take (the) safety of everyone very seriously,” he said.

No injuries or fatalities were reported from the blaze which entered the town last Wednesday, with officials saying 70 per cent of its structures were saved.

Ireland underscored how all visitors and residents of the town were able to be brought to safety.

“I reject entirely any suggestion that there is a failure here,” he said. “Most of our town was spared.”

Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault says all fires in the community have been extinguished and that crews are working to return power to the town and are planning a “staged re-entry” for its residents, but have no timelines yet.

Planning for re-entry must be done carefully given officials warn that upcoming weather conditions create a heightened fire risk and the fact there are wildfires burning within the park which threaten the community, the minister added.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/this-is-a-success-jasper-mayor-defends-parks-canada-over-wildfire-management/ar-BB1qQ5Sn?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f4701634f36c47049e9f9c0b01253f49&ei=53

'

Jasper’s mayor said Monday he rejects any suggestion that Parks Canada failed in its management of Jasper National Park against the risk of wildfire, saying their efforts resulted in 70 per cent of the town remaining intact.

Richard Ireland  whose own home was burned  said he’s heard criticism against the federal department coming from residents of Jasper, who he acknowledged are reeling from seeing a third of the town’s structures being destroyed by an out-of-control wildfire last week.

“For anyone who might see this as a failure, I reject that premise,” he told reporters during a briefing Monday. “This is a success.”

He said people are asking why more of the forest was not cleared, particularly of pine-beetle dead trees, which critics suggest may have fed the wildfire. While officials say they played a factor, Ireland said it is simply not feasible to have cleared the area.

“We’re talking about a stretch of land, a valley that’s kilometres wide and 30 kilometres long and it is absolutely full of pine-beetle dead trees,” said Ireland. “There is no conceivable way to remove all of them, so we had to prepare for the eventuality of fire.”

Parks Canada President and CEO Ron Hallman said heavy winds and dry temperatures caused the inferno to grow quickly, adding that firefighters had to battle a fast-moving wall of flames that towered high above the trees that foiled regular fire-fighting techniques.

Hallman also defended the work Parks Canada had done to date to manage the park, saying he understands people have questions and that there will be a time and place to seek answers.

Destruction caused by pine beetles has been an issue Alberta and British Columbia have faced for years, he said, adding it is that one that Parks Canada already uses prescribed burns to help remove.

“I’m well aware that there’s a debate out there and I’ll leave that to those who are interested in having that,” Hallman said.

Over the past decade, he says Parks Canada has lit 15 prescribed burns in Jasper burning “thousands of hectares” in the park alone.

Hallman added that over his 30 year career as a public servant, where he has worked for 12 different ministers under four different prime ministers, the issue around the risks posed by pine beetles has never been politicized.

“We take (the) safety of everyone very seriously,” he said.

No injuries or fatalities were reported from the blaze which entered the town last Wednesday, with officials saying 70 per cent of its structures were saved.

Ireland underscored how all visitors and residents of the town were able to be brought to safety.

“I reject entirely any suggestion that there is a failure here,” he said. “Most of our town was spared.”

Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault says all fires in the community have been extinguished and that crews are working to return power to the town and are planning a “staged re-entry” for its residents, but have no timelines yet.

Planning for re-entry must be done carefully given officials warn that upcoming weather conditions create a heightened fire risk and the fact there are wildfires burning within the park which threaten the community, the minister added.

Next thing you know they'll be looking to tuck durfope and his libtards for their houses still standing and unscathed. :classic_rolleyes:

• Vintage 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Next thing you know they'll be looking to tuck durfope and his libtards for their houses still standing and unscathed. :classic_rolleyes:

Survivor's guilt?

Or just an automatic fall back position?

• Upvote 1

https://www.thestar.com/politics/political-opinion/dont-like-justin-trudeau-youre-not-alone-heres-why-canadians-say-the-prime-minister-is/article_e08d024a-4ab9-11ef-b449-dfee3d7bc6c7.html

It looks like based on polling Trudeau is becoming more unpopular by the day, by the time the election rolls I dont think he has a chance. Based on the charts the only people that don't dislike him are liberal fan boys and to a lesser extent the NDP and Quebec. He is at an all time personal high of negative impressions at 59%.

29 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/political-opinion/dont-like-justin-trudeau-youre-not-alone-heres-why-canadians-say-the-prime-minister-is/article_e08d024a-4ab9-11ef-b449-dfee3d7bc6c7.html

It looks like based on polling Trudeau is becoming more unpopular by the day, by the time the election rolls I dont think he has a chance. Based on the charts the only people that don't dislike him are liberal fan boys and to a lesser extent the NDP and Quebec. He is at an all time personal high of negative impressions at 59%.

People should turn to the NDP.

Seems like the only choice.

That party gets stuff done even when they dont have the power. 

Pretty good at working with the cards they are dealt. 

The Libs have lost the room and the Cons have lost their mind. 

• Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That party gets stuff done even when they dont have the power. 

Pretty good at working with the cards they are dealt. 

The Libs have lost the room and the Cons have lost their mind. 

I don't think many have the confidence in the NDP being able to run the country, they still have a lot of work to do. Until recently have been a small fish in a big pond. Not sure NDP would align with the current issues of government over spending and the housing crisis as well. 

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

I don't think many have the confidence in the NDP being able to run the country, they still have a lot of work to do. Until recently have been a small fish in a big pond. Not sure NDP would align with the current issues of government over spending and the housing crisis as well. 

I'm tired of the other two.

We're already acting like the states. Binary and divisive.

Maybe time for something new. 

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

OK I am open to listening.

One thing i would need to see is proof that the traditional "us vs them" stance on industry and development changes.

I'm troubled by what I perceive as a no to everything stance on development.

Imo that stance is just as harmful (in different ways ) than the CPC "red tape" bs.

Id be very concerned that Jag would drive our economy into the ground.

But maybe I don't see what you see, so id love to hear your thoughts on that.

Edited by Bob Long

30 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

OK I am open to listening.

One thing i would need to see is proof that the traditional "us vs them" stance on industry and development changes.

I'm troubled by what I perceive as a no to everything stance on development.

Imo that stance is just as harmful (in different ways ) than the CPC "red tape" bs.

Id be very concerned that Jag would drive our economy into the ground.

But maybe I don't see what you see, so id love to hear your thoughts on that.

Oh, they had me at "tax the rich" 🙂

Isn't that all you need? a good slogan? ( they do support heavier taxes on financial institutions.)

Ok, I do like the pharmacare and dental stuff but really i just mean what I said...  

'Time for something new, instead of the big two!' ( hey, maybe that rhyme can be their new slogan?)

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Isn't that all you need? a good slogan? ( they do support heavier taxes on financial institutions.)

Ok, I do like the pharmacare and dental stuff but really i just mean what I said...  

'Time for something new, instead of the big two!' ( hey, maybe that rhyme can be their new slogan?)

The Pharmacare and dental stuff would be nice but will cost a pretty penny. Tax the rich is a good very short term solution but will likely slow economic growth. Their answer would likely be increased immigration which is again a short term solution with negative long term effects. Who ever gets elected needs to find a path to long term economic growth and increased productivity without taking shortcuts. As we are already facing a world of hurt in the future due to our aging population. AI might come in and save the day but we have all seen terminator as well.   

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The Pharmacare and dental stuff would be nice but will cost a pretty penny. Tax the rich is a good very short term solution but will likely slow economic growth. Their answer would likely be increased immigration which is again a short term solution with negative long term effects. Who ever gets elected needs to find a path to long term economic growth and increased productivity without taking shortcuts. As we are already facing a world of hurt in the future due to our aging population. AI might come in and save the day but we have all seen terminator as well.   

But does tax cuts for the rich boost the economy?   We're always promised that tax cuts will pay for themselves because of all the boosted economic activity.  In reality, it leads to budget cuts due to drops in revenue.  Brownback's Kansas is proof positive in this.  Harper's GST cut another.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I love the bobbles too. No issue at all with bobbles. But who pays is actually not an easy thing to solve. 

If you run the numbers, you can't tax the rich or big companies enough to pay for all the bobbles, unless you really go extreme on the taxation and make Canada an outlier. So thats a development killer right out of the gate. 

So.. is that the idea?

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

how is immigration a short term solution?

29 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

But does tax cuts for the rich boost the economy?   We're always promised that tax cuts will pay for themselves because of all the boosted economic activity.  In reality, it leads to budget cuts due to drops in revenue.  Brownback's Kansas is proof positive in this.  Harper's GST cut another.

Harpers early GST cut was purely political, but you can argue that people do save a little on everyday items. Of course you can get the same deal with the right money back credit card. We do appear to have some room to move on GST but that would be a political killer now. 

Taxation has to be balanced or you drive out business, its just a fact. Thats not good for "the worker" either if there's no place to find a good job, which from what I can tell is pretty much the NDP economic platform, saving as many union jobs as they can (https://www.ndp.ca/economy).

We're already considered on the high side for corporate and personal taxes:

Relative to the OECD average, the tax structure in Canada is characterised by:

» Substantially higher revenues from taxes on personal income, profits & gains, and higher revenues from taxes on corporate income & gains; payroll taxes; and property taxes.

» A lower proportion of revenues from value-added taxes and goods & services taxes (excluding VAT/GST), and substantially lower revenues from social security contributions.

https://www.oecd.org/content/dam/oecd/en/topics/policy-sub-issues/global-tax-revenues/revenue-statistics-canada.pdf

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think more tax for the rich in general. Wealth hoarding is one of the biggest problems on our planet.

Increased immigration is great for the economy. There's a housing problem but no party seems to be able to get that sorted....yet.

Due to our aging population, the NDP with their dental and pharmacare seem like the best party for that demographic. 

53 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Its essential taking a hit in short term revenue to grow long term revenue. Almost like offering a sale to attract new business. Need to cut wasteful spending prior to any tax cuts though or its gets messy like in Kansas. Any business tax cuts must be incentivized towards investments in infrastructure and technology in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

how is immigration a short term solution?

Because unstainable levels of immigration leads to unstable housing markets and major strain on what will be an already very strained medical system due to an aging population. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Because unstainable levels of immigration leads to unstable housing markets and major strain on what will be an already very strained medical system due to an aging population. 

And if that immigration leads to bringing in qualified professionals whose barriers to practicing in their field of expertise are addressed, as well as bringing in labourers who are able to help build the necessary housing to accommodate the influx of people in addition to those in need of cost-appropriate housing?

The aging population thing is going to be a thing across the world; it won't be specific to Canada.  Asia will probably feel the most severe consequences of it, due to a system-driven low birth rate in the prc and unrelated reasons for low birth rate in Japan, but North America and Europe will commiserate with them (Canada being the most severe of the western world).

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Could we hope that some of those immigrants are in the medical world? bring in the talents we need?

I know at my job we are hiring a lot of folks new to the country, people that have just got their PR.

Out of our new recruits about 20 people, I can count 7 that are from India alone. We are struggling to find anyone to go into law enforcement. I am hearing stories of forced OT in the RCMP. Some prisons having to go to premature lock-up on certain days due to low staff levels. 

In my field we need immigrants, right now. Not many Canadian born people are applying. The pay isn't great to start but it goes up pretty fast. We have some of the best benefits and pentions out there. Still, its a grind to find help. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1