Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Also, here is a lesson on wealth redistribution that I learned from a very smart person many years ago. If you took all the money in the world and redistributed it equally to every person, within 5 years or less all those former rich people would be rich again and all of those former poor people would be poor again. So my question to you is how often would this redistribution of wealth have to happen?  Every 5 years?  

this is funny Petey. No, not every former rich person would be rich, and all the poor ones still poor. What a silly deterministic outlook that is. But kinda tracks for the christian right to think this way.

Anyone who was rich by inheritance would be poor. Some former entrepreneurs would make it again, some wouldn't. New entrepreneurs would emerge from the former poor people. 

A reset of the chances to become successful would create a new mix of rich and new poor. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I don't know if you have heard of the Yard sale model.

This article gives some detail on it.

It contains these fun simulations that illustrate why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. 

https://pudding.cool/2022/12/yard-sale/

" Why do super rich people exist in a society ?

Many of us assume that's because some people make better financial decisions than others.

But what if this isn't true ? 

What if the economy-our economy- is designed to create a few super rich people ?

That's what mathematicians argue in something called the yard scale model " 

Run the simulations.

About that website

https://pudding.cool//

A very good example of why 'financial math' needs to be taught to every one.

It is also a  very good example of why 'financial math' is not taught to everyone.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

this is funny Petey. No, not every former rich person would be rich, and all the poor ones still poor. What a silly deterministic outlook that is. But kinda tracks for the christian right to think this way.

Anyone who was rich by inheritance would be poor. Some former entrepreneurs would make it again, some wouldn't. New entrepreneurs would emerge from the former poor people. 

A reset of the chances to become successful would create a new mix of rich and new poor. 

What does the “Christian right” have to do with what I said?  Why do you always bring religion into the conversation?  I know religion is funny to you. You definitely got a laugh out of the French people mocking the last supper. It’s always a smart idea to piss off 2.4 billion people. Samsung thought it was so funny they pulled their $1 billion in advertising. 

So a few thousand people wouldn’t get rich again. Okay. That’s a huge difference. I guess we should start with the wealth redistribution then. Maybe we will start at the Bob household first. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Positing that the left calling for more taxation because they want full blown communism is the equivalent of saying that the right wants Canada to be a full blown oligarchy. Both are wild exaggerations.

The PBO published research that in Canada the top 1% now control 26% of the wealth and Canada’s 87 richest families have roughly 45,000 times more wealth than the average Canadian household, and that was in 2020.

what can the government really do about this? I guess we can break up the companies? Certainly we can tax this group more, but that won't change who controls these companies. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What does the “Christian right” have to do with what I said?

A lot. A deterministic view of the world tends to go along with that. 

Why do you always bring religion into the conversation?  I know religion is funny to you. You definitely got a laugh out of the French people mocking the last supper. It’s always a smart idea to piss off 2.4 billion people. Samsung thought it was so funny they pulled their $1 billion in advertising. 

those 2.4 billion snowflakes need to calm down. The same laws that protect their right to believe fairy tales also protects peoples right to mock them. Deal with it.

So a few thousand people wouldn’t get rich again. Okay. Thatchers a huge difference. I guess we should start with the wealth redistribution then. Maybe we will start at the Bob household first. 

The idea you posted is silly. It assumes there's some inherent trait in all rich and poor people that "make" them that way. 

I'm just going to go ahead and guess the person who told you this story wasn't poor their whole life. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought it was supposed to be Dionysus?

Why waste a good opportunity to feign being offended tho? Pfft, facts.

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks for the info about Suamsung though. They just lost two customers. Wife and I were due for new phones, we usually go Samsung. 

You're theory about the rich being rich again quickly if everyone was made equal might have some merit. However, if the privileged upbringing of most of the rich (  top education, etc) was also removed, all things would far more equal. 

Wealth horading has to be dealt with sooner or later. The world is in trouble from it. 

Entrepreneurial drive is a human trait. One that can't be known just by looking at someone's bank account out of context.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

But you know that's never going to happen again, nor is it enough to cover everything the NDP wants to do, and it wouldn't be sustainable.

It's a convenient statement to make when the left is out of ideas.

Show me the NDP ideas on creating new industries.

Why?

The NDP will never form government.  They never have.  Why is the NDP a boogeyman or even part of this conversation?  I certainly never brought them up

31 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Positing that the left calling for more taxation because they want full blown communism is the equivalent of saying that the right wants Canada to be a full blown oligarchy. Both are wild exaggerations.

The PBO published research that in Canada the top 1% now control 26% of the wealth and Canada’s 87 richest families have roughly 45,000 times more wealth than the average Canadian household, and that was in 2020.

People can not fathom a situation in which an equitable form of taxation where corporations and the wealthiest are unable to avoid paying without suggesting the most insane reasons behind it.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Why?

The NDP will never form government.  They never have.  Why is the NDP a boogeyman or even part of this conversation?  I certainly never brought them up

I guess because I want to stay open to choices? 

If we want to change from the 'other two' I'd like to see a good plan in place.

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

what can the government really do about this? I guess we can break up the companies? Certainly we can tax this group more, but that won't change who controls these companies. 

I don’t make the argument that these companies should be broken up, simply that these families are doing very well in this system that has allowed them to amass uber-wealth and that it’s not an unreasonable ask that they contribute more. 

Until recently Liberals and Conservatives were two sides of the same card on even the smallest wealth tax. When Peter Jillian tabled a motion for a 1% wealth tax in 2020 not a single yea vote was cast from either of the two parties, even though over 80% of Canadians were in favour.

“A moderate wealth tax of 1% over $10 million and 3% over $100 million could make post-secondary education free for Canadians, it could fund universal pharmacare, and it could create 100,000 non-market affordable homes each year, and yet we don’t see a comprehensive wealth tax being discussed federally.”

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why?

giphy.gif.c12f69485e2b1553721d081b88304abf.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I don't know if you have heard of the Yard sale model.

This article gives some detail on it.

It contains these fun simulations that illustrate why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. 

https://pudding.cool/2022/12/yard-sale/

" Why do super rich people exist in a society ?

Many of us assume that's because some people make better financial decisions than others.

But what if this isn't true ? 

What if the economy-our economy- is designed to create a few super rich people ?

That's what mathematicians argue in something called the yard scale model " 

Run the simulations.

About that website

https://pudding.cool//

Will look at this later for sure.  Love me some good reading.

here out west we call that Crony-Capitalism.  The belief of wealth predicated on infinite growth is so ridiculous as to border on the insane.  But the trickle down model of Crony-Capitalism that we see here now over the last 40 years is directly attributed to and the cause of the massive wealth disparity we see

So...ya.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess because I want to stay open to choices? 

If we want to change from the 'other two' I'd like to see a good plan in place.

Unfortunately we won't see that with Singh at the helm.

We also have to look historically and see that a strong federal NDP showing at the polls has always resulted in an overwhelming Conservative majority.

We are a two party system with choice adjacent parties in the Bloc NDP and Greens

33 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

A lot. A deterministic view of the world tends to go along with that. 

those 2.4 billion snowflakes need to calm down. The same laws that protect their right to believe fairy tales also protects peoples right to mock them. Deal with it.

The idea you posted is silly. It assumes there's some inherent trait in all rich and poor people that "make" them that way. 

I'm just going to go ahead and guess the person who told you this story wasn't poor their whole life. 

You better hope that Trudeau resigns and Mark Carney takes over. Cause if he doesn’t then PP will be the next Prime Minister. If that happens watch out. If I were an Athiest I’d be worried. But I’m sure you will “deal with it” at that time. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You better hope that Trudeau resigns and Mark Carney takes over. Cause if he doesn’t then PP will be the next Prime Minister. If that happens watch out. If I were an Athiest I’d be worried. But I’m sure you will “deal with it” at that time. 

Are we being threatened now?   Just why should athiests be worried?   Haven't you been telling us all this time we have nothing to worry about from religious conservatives?

Take a breath Petey.  I think you are posting in anger.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PP will be the next Prime Minister. If that happens watch out. If I were an Athiest I’d be worried

Please explain what you mean by this.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You're insinuating that the next PM hopeful will do something that will harm the lives or freedoms of people with no recognized religion or on the flip side allow more specific religion in to government institutions.

These kind of threats and insinuations are not exactly defeating the belief that ierre will do just this and fly directly against your claims that he successfully put his religious ideals aside to be a qualified leader of the people.

So please, do explain what you mean by the bolded

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Unfortunately we won't see that with Singh at the helm.

We also have to look historically and see that a strong federal NDP showing at the polls has always resulted in an overwhelming Conservative majority.

We are a two party system with choice adjacent parties in the Bloc NDP and Greens

That's why I bought up Nenshi. I think he has a chance of putting forward a federal plan that drops the 'us vs them' tropes and could actually be focused on new development. Doing that without alienating the progressives will be the hard part.

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You better hope that Trudeau resigns and Mark Carney takes over. Cause if he doesn’t then PP will be the next Prime Minister. If that happens watch out.

I am hoping for that. 

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If I were an Athiest I’d be worried. But I’m sure you will “deal with it” at that time. 

Why would I be worried? Is Skippy coming for non-believers?

• Cheers 1