Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

36 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t make the argument that these companies should be broken up, simply that these families are doing very well in this system that has allowed them to amass uber-wealth and that it’s not an unreasonable ask that they contribute more. 

Until recently Liberals and Conservatives were two sides of the same card on even the smallest wealth tax. When Peter Jillian tabled a motion for a 1% wealth tax in 2020 not a single yea vote was cast from either of the two parties, even though over 80% of Canadians were in favour.

“A moderate wealth tax of 1% over $10 million and 3% over $100 million could make post-secondary education free for Canadians, it could fund universal pharmacare, and it could create 100,000 non-market affordable homes each year, and yet we don’t see a comprehensive wealth tax being discussed federally.”

Isn't the capital gains tax good?

I agree tho we can and should tax these folks a bit more.

The practical reality is tho money can move wherever it wants to on the globe. 

I think it's also a bit of a red herring. Imo we need to focus on gdp growth and new industries, because we will make far more money from that. 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

In fairness, that's all the Conservatives have,

Anger

Well I know they can really piss me off sometimes but I have to disagree.  They have some bird brained ideas IMO but they are not all angry birds.

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You mean the feast of Dionysus right?  Last supper what?  The feast of Dionysus was spoken about almost 500 years before Christ even existed and the painting of the last supper was literally stolen from that exact frescoe.

Religion is funny to me personally because it shows people to be the ignorant bigots they pretend not to be when they are forced to face the facts that their religion is based on even older stories and that their sky daddy is just a construct meant ot keep the idiocy in check while ensuring a sizeable redistribution of wealth from the sheep to the upper echelons.

Funny...why does that sound so familiar?

Edit*  A few thousand people won't get rich again?

If we're speaking of wealth "distribution" via appropriate taxation.  Those few thousand people hold more accumulated wealth than almost 5 billion people on this planet.  So darn, guess my thoughts and prayers will have to suffice for the poor few thousand who would still be fabulously wealthy compared to the 5 ish billion who might get a house or a regular meal.

Bro, modern Christians don't like it when you bring up the origins of their major symbols. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Well I know they can really piss me off sometimes but I have to disagree.  They have some bird brained ideas IMO but they are not all angry birds.

The suggestion is that is their entire message.  Anger.  Anger breeds fear which breeds anger.  it is a self perpetuating cycle and exactly why so many people keep clamouring for the Conservatives and Pierre to release their platform, plan or ideas.

Because running on a campaign of pissed off people does not suggest that there is in fact a plan past the polling stations and that is scary

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Bro, modern Christians don't like it when you bring up the origins of their major symbols. 

Oh jeez, wait until they find out that the little cross they wear is because they were crucifying people along the appian way for 400 years before their magical sky daddy came about

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Today I learned that wealth distribution doesn't work.  But ONLY as long as we're talking about a general distribution via proper and appropriate taxation to those avoiding paying the most while making the most.

But it DOES work so long as it is being distributed upwards like it has been for over 40 years.

Today I also learned that taxing the wealthiest more for over 50 years meant that they were going to use accounting tricks to bring their marginal tax rates down so it doesn't make sense to tax them more because they obviously aren't doing the exact same thing while paying less so taxing them more makes no sense.

Finally I got to learn that if you suggest doing things differently, that you want a communist Canada because that can be the ONLY logical explanation for this because people are unable to fathom any other way of doing things without a ridiculous jump to the most ludicrous and stupid extreme they can think of.

Do you think people making over $2 million per year DON'T use accounting tricks?  Is setting up a corporation and paying only 15% income taxes instead of 50% an accounting trick?  How about using family members as employees for write off purposes?  Is that also an accounting trick?

The more tax you throw at rich people the more accounting tricks they are going to use.  That's just a simple fact of life...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Skippy is coming for all of you non-believers.  Be afraid Bob, be very afraid...   :frantic:

Damn it.

It will be us Agnostics trying to talk sense into everyone....again.

Quite the burden. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Oh jeez, wait until they find out that the little cross they wear is because they were crucifying people along the appian way for 400 years before their magical sky daddy came about

Don't look up virgin birth or floods. Just don't.

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t make the argument that these companies should be broken up, simply that these families are doing very well in this system that has allowed them to amass uber-wealth and that it’s not an unreasonable ask that they contribute more. 

Until recently Liberals and Conservatives were two sides of the same card on even the smallest wealth tax. When Peter Jillian tabled a motion for a 1% wealth tax in 2020 not a single yea vote was cast from either of the two parties, even though over 80% of Canadians were in favour.

“A moderate wealth tax of 1% over $10 million and 3% over $100 million could make post-secondary education free for Canadians, it could fund universal pharmacare, and it could create 100,000 non-market affordable homes each year, and yet we don’t see a comprehensive wealth tax being discussed federally.”

That's because Skippy and Trudy are a part of that 1%.  As are many other politicians.  They don't want to pay any more in taxes than anyone else.  And people think politicians are on their side and for the people.  Even Jagmeet drives a BMW and wears a rolex watch...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

That's because Skippy and Trudy are a part of that 1%.  As are many other politicians.  They don't want to pay any more in taxes than anyone else.  And people think politicians are on their side and for the people.  Even Jagmeet drives a BMW and wears a rolex watch...

Yea but they'd be rich no matter what. 

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Damn it.

It will be us Agnostics trying to talk sense into everyone....again.

Quite the burden. 

You still have time to repent my friend.  Confession is great for the mind and the soul.  As an MMA guy, I am sure you are used to meditating as well...

50 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Are we being threatened now?   Just why should athiests be worried?   Haven't you been telling us all this time we have nothing to worry about from religious conservatives?

Take a breath Petey.  I think you are posting in anger.  

More humour than anger my friend.  It's hard to tell when you are just reading though and not seeing the poster.  Trust me, I am not at all angry.

But PP is coming for you, so be afraid Satchmo, be very afraid...   😉😊

50 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Please explain what you mean by this.

PP, he is coming.  The religious nutjobs are going to take over the country...   :frantic:

See this is funny to me, just like religion is funny to Bob and Hippy.  See how that works?  So maybe tell those other guys not to mock my religion and then I won't mock PP coming for them either...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You still have time to repent my friend.  Confession is great for the mind and the soul.  As an MMA guy, I am sure you are used to meditating as well...

I'm a star. A compassionate vegetarian ( I worry about all 'God' s creatures), a non drinker, that is helping save the world by not breeding. Oh I also serve  in a job that I dont need ( i could retire)  that takes care of our lowest, the broken, the lost.

If there is a god, I'm up for a promotion. 

Now, you smarten up or else I wont save you a seat on my cloud. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yea but they'd be rich no matter what. 

This is true.  Which tells you everything you need to know about politics.  Funny how politicians go into politics relatively poor, stay in politics forever, and then retire with millions in the bank.  All on a $200,000 per year salary.  Interesting how that works...

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm a star. A compassionate vegetarian ( I worry about all 'God' s creatures), a non drinker, that is helping save the world by not breeding. Oh I also serve  in a job that I dont need ( i could retire)  that takes care of our lowest, the broken, the lost.

If there is a god, I'm up for a promotion. 

Now, you smarten up or else I wont save you a seat on my cloud. 

I'm also a non-drinker and a non breeder.  Well, as far as I know I have not bred but I don't answer long distance calls on Father's Day, especially from Mexico, so things could always change...   🤨

Yes, just take that first step and go to confession.  Then go to your local church.  Trust me, not everyone in the church is a nutjob.  Some of the girls in there are actually quite cute.  You may have some fun at church that you didn't expect...

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PP, he is coming.  The religious nutjobs are going to take over the country...   :frantic:

See this is funny to me, just like religion is funny to Bob and Hippy.  See how that works?  So maybe tell those other guys not to mock my religion and then I won't mock PP coming for them either...

Have you met Bob and Hip?!

I dont think anyone could tell them what to do.

The thing about mocking religion is ....why do you take it so hard?

Speaking of MMA...I have been around some of the toughest dudes around.

One thing i notice about the toughest of them, is that they dont get triggered too easy. They know that they can take care of themselves, its really hard to drag them into a fight. The reason is they have complete faith  in their abilities.

Why dont religious people have that faith? why do they get so triggered so easy? If they are destined for heaven, wouldnt they just smile and feel sorry for those heading to hell or whatever we are supposed to fear?

BTW, religion is very easy to make fun of. The bible reads like a D&D module. If you were not religious I bet you would have some pretty good zingers yourself, you like to poke fun. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Isn't the capital gains tax good?

I agree tho we can and should tax these folks a bit more.

The practical reality is tho money can move wherever it wants to on the globe. 

I think it's also a bit of a red herring. Imo we need to focus on gdp growth and new industries, because we will make far more money from that. 

The capital gains tax is a start but brings in nothing until the capital gain is realized. A wealth tax is in the here and now. 

Sure money can move wherever it wants but an ever-widening wealth disparity is not sustainable, desirable or healthy, and a wealth tax is always dismissed with a hand wave. One way or another that gap has to shrink.

Why do we allow Bay Street to convince us that it’s better to have a tax system that advantages the rich by cutting corporate taxes and taxing labour at a much higher rate than capital gains? 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm also a non-drinker and a non breeder.  Well, as far as I know I have not bred but I don't answer long distance calls on Father's Day, especially from Mexico, so things could always change...   🤨

Yes, just take that first step and go to confession.  Then go to your local church.  Trust me, not everyone in the church is a nutjob.  Some of the girls in there are actually quite cute.  You may have some fun at church that you didn't expect...

But I dont need them.

In fact i think they could learn from me.

I get along with, or at least will accept, everyone and will always be open to talk. 

I dont see religions doing that.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Have you met Bob and Hip?!

I dont think anyone could tell them what to do.

The thing about mocking religion is ....why do you take it so hard?

Speaking of MMA...I have been around some of the toughest dudes around.

One thing i notice about the toughest of them, is that they dont get triggered too easy. They know that they can take care of themselves, its really hard to drag them into a fight. The reason is they have complete faith  in their abilities.

Why dont religious people have that faith? why do they get so triggered so easy? If they are destined for heaven, wouldnt they just smile and feel sorry for those heading to hell or whatever we are supposed to fear?

BTW, religion is very easy to make fun of. The bible reads like a D&D module. If you were not religious I bet you would have some pretty good zingers yourself, you like to poke fun. 

If you are doing BJJ, I am pretty sure you can take on Bob and Hippy quite easily and put them in their place.  My Tae Kwon Do is from a long time ago but I think I can take care of myself too.  

I don't really get triggered about religion, I just don't understand what's so funny about it.  But I guess if I was non religious that would change things, so I get it to some degree.  If you've been religious your whole life like me then you would understand where I am coming from.  Trust me, it'[s hard to explain unless you have lived it your whole life.

But just like everything else, religion has their nutjobs too which ruins it for the rest of us.  That's the problem.  But certainly 2.4 billion people cannot all be nutjobs.  Most of us are actually very kind and loving human beings...

• Cheers 1