Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

36 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

best people I knew who were religious just lived it, didn't need to yap about it or push it. The loud ones... giant pain in the ass. One of the big reasons I couldn't leave SK fast enough. 

The best thing about Saskatchewan is that there are a lot of roads that you can use to GTFO....

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

its true. 

maybe you, me and @aGENT should start a recovering Catholic thread?

I mean, I "recovered" a long time ago (I've been out of the cult for over 40 years) but I'd be down....

• Cheers 2

A brief story about immigration:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/posthaste-canada-s-immigration-clampdown-could-have-more-consequences-than-we-thought/ar-BB1r1qcG?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=1cee36e7d8164188996100c1cef5e1a1&ei=21

snip

"

However, there’s also a negative flip-side to slowing the numbers.

If Ottawa is successful, it will have an impact not only on economic growth, but also on the country’s deficit and debt , says Randall Bartlett, senior director of Canadian economics at Fédération des caisses Desjardins du Québec.

The plan to limit non-permanent residents will slow growth in the working-age population, which in turn will slow growth in real gross domestic product .

“A slower pace of real GDP growth and inflation means that growth in nominal GDP — the broadest measure of the tax base — will be lower as well,” said Bartlett.

------------------------

Mal.

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I mean, I "recovered" a long time ago (I've been out of the cult for over 40 years) but I'd be down....

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

its true. 

If you guys make it to the island, I'd buy you each a beer at our first meeting ☺️

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

its true. 

I used to go to Sunday school as a kid and we had to say the Lords prayer in school. My infants school (elementary) was attached to a Church. 

Some of my earliest memories are of looking up at all the cool stained glass, bored.

My big bro used to let me watch all the stuff I shouldnt. By age 6 I had seen Pink Floyd the Wall, a bunch of horror movies etc ... we would stay up late and watch 'Hammer House of Horror'.

I was a young kid, I would get scared. My bro would remind me that none of it was real, except for one of the Horror movies I had watched...

The Omen.

I was told, now that shit, that IS real.

There is a hell, and there is a devil, and these monsters will torment you for eternity. The idea gave me night terrors, literally. The thought that it was real to a 6 year old mind was nothing short of traumatic.

Fuck you, Religion. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If you guys make it to the island, I'd buy you each a beer at our first meeting ☺️

Funny thing is, I'll be going there in early September. My daughter is getting married at a place just outside of Parksville.

Unfortunately, it will be a pretty tight schedule, as we had to take a couple days off work, right at the beginning of the school year.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Funny thing is, I'll be going there in early September. My daughter is getting married at a place just outside of Parksville.

Unfortunately, it will be a pretty tight schedule, as we had to take a couple days off work, right at the beginning of the school year.

Is it at the Rusted Rake?

Edited by bishopshodan
Maybe too much personal info......
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Something wrong with wine- I'm mean it is the blood of christ?

cannibals, I tell yah.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Congrats Rupe! I may have a solution to your scheduling issue. A few invites and an open bar would solve everything. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Is it at the Rusted Rake?

13 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Get the spruce tip ale @RupertKBD

Just looked it up. Unfortunately it isn't. (although I might have to try and swing by there....

The wife did all the booking, but I think this is the place:

https://tigh-na-mara.com/

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I used to go to Sunday school as a kid and we had to say the Lords prayer in school. My infants school (elementary) was attached to a Church. 

Some of my earliest memories are of looking up at all the cool stained glass, bored.

My big bro used to let me watch all the stuff I shouldnt. By age 6 I had seen Pink Floyd the Wall, a bunch of horror movies etc ... we would stay up late and watch 'Hammer House of Horror'.

I was a young kid, I would get scared. My bro would remind me that none of it was real, except for one of the Horror movies I had watched...

The Omen.

I was told, now that shit, that IS real.

There is a hell, and there is a devil, and these monsters will torment you for eternity. The idea gave me night terrors, literally. The thought that it was real to a 6 year old mind was nothing short of traumatic.

Fuck you, Religion. 

I can remember sitting in church around the age of 10 thinking how hypocritical it all was. Jesus says love everyone, but Papa pope says gays shall burn in hell. Oh but the collection plates a little light, maybe it's time to let a few in. But no marriage. It's all stupid.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I can remember sitting in church around the age of 10 thinking how hypocritical it all was. Jesus says love everyone, but Papa pope says gays shall burn in hell. Oh but the collection plates a little light, maybe it's time to let a few in. But no marriage. It's all stupid.

The "no bacon on Fridays" thing was what pushed me over the edge.....

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1
  • Wiener 1

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just looked it up. Unfortunately it isn't. (although I might have to try and swing by there....

I've been to a wedding there. Very nice spot with an ocean view for the ceremony and the food was good. I can't say for sure but I remember being happy with our room and the bed/pillows too. It's just a hop, skip, and a jump from there down to Rusted Rake if you're looking for a beer and a meal at some point during your time on the island. 

Congrats to your daughter

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

I've been to a wedding there. Very nice spot with an ocean view for the ceremony and the food was good. I can't say for sure but I remember being happy with our room and the bed/pillows too. It's just a hop, skip, and a jump from there down to Rusted Rake if you're looking for a beer and a meal at some point during your time on the island. 

Congrats to your daughter

Thanks.

We're actually not staying at the resort. We have a spot booked in Parksville that costs a lot less. The ferry alone is $1000, plus we have to stay overnight in Port Hardy both ways....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Nice spot.

Enjoy the Grotto!

• Cheers 1

^"

"The New Democrats signed a political pact with the Liberals in 2022 to secure their support on key votes in the House of Commons, in exchange for progress on shared priorities like pharmacare and dental care.

Conservatives suggest Singh is maintaining the deal to secure his MP pension, which he will qualify for in October 2025, when the next federal election is scheduled."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If only some other MP had left politics after serving 2 terms, then bitchin about length of time served, might have got some traction.

• Like 1