Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

More than a two party system is a great way to not get stuff done. People talk about political red tape to get things done, this is it. Having to bribe the coalition party every time you want something passed has to be tiring. Im guessing thats where the cons got Sellout Singh from.  

they got a lot of stuff done, you just don't like the stuff. 

It's not a bribe, it's called a parliamentary democracy where people have to meet in the middle on issues occasionally. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

they got a lot of stuff done, you just don't like the stuff. 

It's not a bribe, it's called a parliamentary democracy where people have to meet in the middle on issues occasionally. 

With the state the country is currently in and the amount of money that was spend, I would say the important stuff didn't get done. They were to busy throwing each other bones sinking big money on their pet projects.  

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

With the state the country is currently in and the amount of money that was spend, I would say the important stuff didn't get done. They were to busy throwing each other bones sinking big money on their pet projects.  

The state of the state is great.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

What state would that be? 

50 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What state would that be? 

The 51st state, duh! :hurhur:

21 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Pay attention Jimmy....It's such a hellhole that people are moving to Nicaragua for a better life...

How long until you figure they come crawling back asking to be let back in? :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Pay attention Jimmy....It's such a hellhole that people are moving to Nicaragua for a better life...

God I'm tired of their negative bullshit. If they aren't playing the victim they claim we are a hell hole. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

God I'm tired of their negative bullshit. If they aren't playing the victim they claim we are a hell hole. 

Despite being presented with study after study showing Canada in the top 20 countries in the world for standard of living and happiness.  We have it pretty damn good here despite what those ungrateful parasites want us to believe.

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Despite being presented with study after study showing Canada in the top 20 countries in the world for standard of living and happiness.  We have it pretty damn good here despite what those ungrateful parasites want us to believe.

20? We are usually top 5.

29 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not bad for a Country that's "BROKEN".

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

It's almost like Asian parents (including mine) - you did your best and come home with straight A's and they ask, "why aren't they all A+'s?", or you come in 2nd and they complain you didn't bring home 1st. :classic_rolleyes:

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's almost like Asian parents (including mine) - you did your best and come home with straight A's and they ask, "why aren't they all A+'s?", or you come in 2nd and they complain you didn't bring home 1st. :classic_rolleyes:

Emotional Damage GIF by Jennifer Accomando

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I guess it's kind of like that scene in Mississippi Burning, where the guys who firebombed a black family's house get suspended sentences, because they brought it on themselves....:classic_dry:

If I'm a cop in that part of the country, my new mantra when faced with similar situations might just have to be "shoot now, ask questions later". Alberta wants to be USA North anyway, so the police might as well start acting like their Southern counterparts...

Edited by RupertKBD
  • ThereItIs 1

13 hours ago, Bob Long said:

20? We are usually top 5.

If you think all is well then google Bill White conversations. Bill White is a Canadian economist who has worked for the Bank of Canada and the OECD. The latest conversation I listened to was not specifically about Canada but global in nature. He does talk briefly about Canada. 

The gist of what I took away was that long term economic outlook was questionable. People in richer societies were assuming a reversion to the good times of 1990 to 2010. He suggests more along the lines of scarcity, higher inflation and higher interest rates. There will be higher taxes to deal with his scenario. 

There are 3 major groups impacted;

1) Man on the street: who will feel the brunt of what is coming

2) Rich & powerful: will pay more but have to be convinced of whether this will solve anything

3) Politicians: to willing to sell the future for short term electability. He says politicians will have to do hard things which could cost them their jobs. Service above        self will be a necessity

What will be the sacrifice? Flexibility is gone. Politicians have printed money as a cure when that is a indirect tax on people. Debt service will become an issue as there will be fewer purchasers of government debt. Where will investment capital come from? He questions what will fall by the wayside. He mentions national security, climate change and social programs. 

So here is a highly respected economist who does not agree with most on this thread who think all is well. It is obvious that the man on the street does not think all is well. If it were Poulivere would not be polling as well as he is.  

We have a provincial election in BC this fall and a federal election in the next 2 years. It is a rare thing in Canadian elections when 'hard' questions are actually asked. Time for that to happen. Trudeau polls poorly right now but that can change. Poulivere polls well now but does he have the solutions? My hope is that both these men sit down and debate the economic issues faced by Canada. No other politicians involved as they don't matter. These are the only 2 who can form a government. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Respect all you wrote, thanks.

At my dinner parties I have only one of the few cons supporters that goes on about the economy, not saying he is wrong. Actually, I think he is the only one ( like you) with points that could/should be discussed.

The others hate JT for the scandals, he's corrupt! they also feel abused and insulted because when they tried to threaten the gov with the Karen convoy it didnt go the way they thought. 

I'm just pointing this out as my experience. The man on my streets isn't loving PP cause of the hope of a better econ, they are more blind with hate because 'JT should be in jail!' 

Do not misconstrue I have no respect for JT. How many ethics violations does it take? Corruption exists but that usually happens in all governments but should never be tolerated or covered up. That aside I don't know what Poulivere brings to the table. While I have to assume more of the same from Trudeau we don't know enough about PP to know. That is why I want a very serious debate of ideas, not political BS and procrastination.  I am seriously disappointed in business leadership in Canada as they have not stepped up enough to explain what they are experiencing and what their possible solutions are. 

• Cheers 3

44 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I guess it's kind of like that scene in Mississippi Burning, where the guys who firebombed a black familie's house get suspended sentences, because they brought it on themselves....:classic_dry:

If I'm a cop in that part of the country, my new mantra when faced with similar situations might just have to be "shoot now, ask questions later". Alberta wants to be USA North anyway, so the police might as well start acting like their Southern counterparts...

Yup, RCMP in AB won't be happy and all I would imagine.

48 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If you think all is well then google Bill White conversations. Bill White is a Canadian economist who has worked for the Bank of Canada and the OECD. The latest conversation I listened to was not specifically about Canada but global in nature. He does talk briefly about Canada. 

The gist of what I took away was that long term economic outlook was questionable. People in richer societies were assuming a reversion to the good times of 1990 to 2010. He suggests more along the lines of scarcity, higher inflation and higher interest rates. There will be higher taxes to deal with his scenario. 

There are 3 major groups impacted;

1) Man on the street: who will feel the brunt of what is coming

2) Rich & powerful: will pay more but have to be convinced of whether this will solve anything

3) Politicians: to willing to sell the future for short term electability. He says politicians will have to do hard things which could cost them their jobs. Service above        self will be a necessity

What will be the sacrifice? Flexibility is gone. Politicians have printed money as a cure when that is a indirect tax on people. Debt service will become an issue as there will be fewer purchasers of government debt. Where will investment capital come from? He questions what will fall by the wayside. He mentions national security, climate change and social programs. 

So here is a highly respected economist who does not agree with most on this thread who think all is well. It is obvious that the man on the street does not think all is well. If it were Poulivere would not be polling as well as he is.  

We have a provincial election in BC this fall and a federal election in the next 2 years. It is a rare thing in Canadian elections when 'hard' questions are actually asked. Time for that to happen. Trudeau polls poorly right now but that can change. Poulivere polls well now but does he have the solutions? My hope is that both these men sit down and debate the economic issues faced by Canada. No other politicians involved as they don't matter. These are the only 2 who can form a government. 

This is a sentence from someone quoting White:  Bill is a renowned Canadian economist and former chairman of the Economic and Development Review Committee at the OECD. He has served at the Bank of Canada and Bank of England, and he is a long-time favorite speaker at our Strategic Investment Conference.

Does that resume strike you as similar to anyone? 

Neither JT or PP have any real answers, because neither one has the toolbox to fix the issues. Carney imo does and why I've been harping on getting him into government.

My issue with the "broken" narrative is its defeatist and plays to the worst fears of people. We can work out way out of this with the right leadership, but to listen to PP it's all over. 

I don't think many people in here think "all is well", they just recognize even with our current issues this is one of the best places on the planet to be.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This is a sentence from someone quoting White:  Bill is a renowned Canadian economist and former chairman of the Economic and Development Review Committee at the OECD. He has served at the Bank of Canada and Bank of England, and he is a long-time favorite speaker at our Strategic Investment Conference.

Does that resume strike you as similar to anyone? 

Neither JT or PP have any real answers, because neither one has the toolbox to fix the issues. Carney imo does and why I've been harping on getting him into government.

My issue with the "broken" narrative is its defeatist and plays to the worst fears of people. We can work out way out of this with the right leadership, but to listen to PP it's all over. 

I don't think many people in here think "all is well", they just recognize even with our current issues this is one of the best places on the planet to be.

Scratch my idea of the two politicians and let's have Bill White and Mark Carney have a conversation with the Canadian people in prime time. I would even tune onto the CBC to watch that. Maybe have JT and PP sit in the front row with a note pad. 

The "broken" narrative could be viewed as defeatist but to many realistic if as bad as White is saying. He isn't the only one. How do you affect change if not honest with the public. I know I am very concerned for my grand children's future. Much of White's concern is demographic and how the population decline is undermining so many assumptions built into government and corporate planning. 

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Scratch my idea of the two politicians and let's have Bill White and Mark Carney have a conversation with the Canadian people in prime time. I would even tune onto the CBC to watch that. Maybe have JT and PP sit in the front row with a note pad. 

The "broken" narrative could be viewed as defeatist but to many realistic if as bad as White is saying. He isn't the only one. How do you affect change if not honest with the public. I know I am very concerned for my grand children's future. Much of White's concern is demographic and how the population decline is undermining so many assumptions built into government and corporate planning. 

But again, these are global issues, not Canadian specific. That's not to say our government (of any party) shouldn't be doing a better job of planning for or managing these issues either. That's largely on voters though. Politicians do things to get elected. If people want fiscally responsible, long term solution governance, they need to stop voting (or at least polling) for reactive, emotionally charged politicians with quick fix slogans like "axe the tax". They need to actually demand real ideas and plans based on actual data, best practices and sometimes short term pain for long term gain. They also need to realize that in a well functioning society, those benefiting the most, need to pay more taxes to lift up those benefiting the least.

And do we really believe a conservative lead government, particularly in this current iteration of that party, is going to help with these issues? The last 40 or so years has seen these issues grow directly from decisions and policies exactly like those currently being promoted by the right. Doubling down on those seems to me like it will only deepen and hasten these problems.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

my guess is they know each other well, and that would be a heck of an interesting conversation. 

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Well, I've done enough work to know that narratives are only as good as the parameters. Change one variable even a little in the economy and things don't look as dark.

We also have a hell of a base to work from. It's not like we need to reinvent the country. 

I'm just really tired of the defeatist, victim stuff. No successful business runs with that mentality. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1