Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

my guess is they know each other well, and that would be a heck of an interesting conversation. 

Well, I've done enough work to know that narratives are only as good as the parameters. Change one variable even a little in the economy and things don't look as dark.

We also have a hell of a base to work from. It's not like we need to reinvent the country. 

I'm just really tired of the defeatist, victim stuff. No successful business runs with that mentality. 

Defeatist or realism. It is as if you developed a business plan which was not working on implementation. Someone in the org questions it and is labeled a defeatist. How about listening to the concerns and revising the plan. 

Just now, Boudrias said:

Defeatist or realism. It is as if you developed a business plan which was not working on implementation. Someone in the org questions it and is labeled a defeatist. How about listening to the concerns and revising the plan. 

nope thats not what I'm doing at all. I'm pointing out that the guy who wants to be CEO has a shitty, ill conceived vision. 

If the vision is wrong, the company can't succeed no matter how good the rest of the org is. 

15 hours ago, Bob Long said:

nope thats not what I'm doing at all. I'm pointing out that the guy who wants to be CEO has a shitty, ill conceived vision. 

If the vision is wrong, the company can't succeed no matter how good the rest of the org is. 

I thought you were talking about the defeatism surrounding Trudeau. His vision is clearly a failure. PP criticizing that failure is his job as leader of the opposition. I don’t have a problem with that. We all want more detail of PP’s solutions for solving the problems Canada faces. 

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I thought you were talking about the defeatism surrounding Trudeau. His vision is clearly a failure. PP criticizing that failure is his job as leader of the opposition. I don’t have a problem with that. We all want more detail of PP’s solutions for solving the problems Canada faces. 

It's all wrapped together, PP uses his "broken" narrative as criticism and for suggesting the few things so far that he'd do. It's weak stuff.

Trudeau is a mixed bag and he needs to go. His governments have done some good things: https://www.polimeter.org/en/trudeau

But he also has dropped the ball on the innovation promises, which for me has been the biggest disappointment. Sure we are still investing in early stage r&d but we aren't supporting it properly. Same story for 30 years now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Just because Alberta's economy is strong, doesn't mean you're not feeling a 'me-cession'

Overall consumer spending up, but individuals actually reducing spending, says economist

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/more-albertans-are-spending-but-less-giving-economy-rosy-glow-it-may-not-earn-1.7284314

so just one truck per person? 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Just because Alberta's economy is strong, doesn't mean you're not feeling a 'me-cession'

Overall consumer spending up, but individuals actually reducing spending, says economist

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/more-albertans-are-spending-but-less-giving-economy-rosy-glow-it-may-not-earn-1.7284314

Trudeau's fault

• ThereItIs 1

@stawns

I moved this over to this thread to reply.

Why can't you have empathy for both?

I do but he’s at the bottom of my list. I’m more concerned about the victim’s family and his child that he never got to meet, the people on the bus that night that were forever traumatized, the cop and his family who was one of the first on the scene and later committed suicide after suffering ptsd,  and people that feel less safe now.

Somewhere after that is Vince Li and  I make no apologies for that

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

@stawns

I moved this over to this thread to reply.

Why can't you have empathy for both?

I do but he’s at the bottom of my list. I’m more concerned about the victim’s family and his child that he never got to meet, the people on the bus that night that were forever traumatized, the cop and his family who was one of the first on the scene and later committed suicide after suffering ptsd,  and people that feel less safe now.

Somewhere after that is Vince Li and  I make no apologies for that

Nor should you.  I feel that same empathy for his familu

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nor should you.  I feel that same empathy for his familu

I still wonder would you feel empathy for the murderer if the victim was your child?

It was a brutal murder where the victim didn't die instantly.

I personally am tired of excuses for killers,rapists,and other criminals to get lenient punishments while the victims families will live with the consequences of the crime their entire lives. 

7 minutes ago, Joe King said:

I still wonder would you feel empathy for the murderer if the victim was your child?

It was a brutal murder where the victim didn't die instantly.

I personally am tired of excuses for killers,rapists,and other criminals to get lenient punishments while the victims families will live with the consequences of the crime their entire lives. 

I would, yes......if I knew the circumstances and I felt it was warranted

On 8/3/2024 at 10:43 AM, Boudrias said:

Scratch my idea of the two politicians and let's have Bill White and Mark Carney have a conversation with the Canadian people in prime time. I would even tune onto the CBC to watch that. Maybe have JT and PP sit in the front row with a note pad. 

The "broken" narrative could be viewed as defeatist but to many realistic if as bad as White is saying. He isn't the only one. How do you affect change if not honest with the public. I know I am very concerned for my grand children's future. Much of White's concern is demographic and how the population decline is undermining so many assumptions built into government and corporate planning. 

I highly recommend the Munk Debates to anyone interested in these kinds of conversations. I have never been disappointed with one of their functions in pretty much a decade of watching WOW time flies, I have been watching Munk debates for almost two decades now, lol. My favourite is "Be it resolved, religion is a force for good in the world…"

however there are a great many AWESOME debates to view and consider. 
https://munkdebates.com/

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

PM goes to pride parade celebrating inclusivity and equality, Xitter goes batshit crazy with "Liberal woke agenda!" 🤣

Good.  Did any Conservative MP or PM hopeful attend any events of this nature at all this year?

Asking because I am genuinely curious, normally we'd hear or see something about it in a positive or negative context but this year nothing.

I met JT on Davie a few years back.

He took the time to chat with my wife and I.

Love seeing the vid of him in that area.

My home for 25 years.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

PM goes to pride parade celebrating inclusivity and equality, Xitter goes batshit crazy with "Liberal woke agenda!" 🤣

meh, let the snowflakes fall. You can't force me to not discriminate, fella.

It does explain the extra security we saw around yesterday, I thought it seemed heavy on Burrard bridge. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It does explain the extra security we saw around yesterday

When I met him on Davie, it was at the Fountain Head pub. Im sure you know it.

Wife and I used to go there qutie a bit. 

When we approached I saw dudes in suits standing in wierd spots, in-ear radios...

I turned to my wife and started complaining about how we wont find seats, looks like they are shooting a stupid movie or something.

We walked in and saw JT, I realised they were real security, not a movie.

It was a fun afternoon. There was a loud mouth conservative regular that JT had found and started talking to. I know one of the owners of the place. She found us seats and said ' oh JT is talking to so and so...this could go bad'

Within about 5 mins JT had the guy laughing and shaking hands. The PM has the gift of gab...in  person at least. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

When I met him on Davie, it was at the Fountain Head pub. Im sure you know it.

Wife and I used to go there qutie a bit. 

that was very close to my favourite chicken wing place, Tigalo's. Made the best wings in town imo before they closed up. 

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

When we approached I saw dudes in suits standing in wierd spots, in-ear radios...

I turned to my wife and started complaining about how we wont find seats, looks like they are shooting a stupid movie or something.

We walked in and saw JT, I realised they were real security, not a movie.

It was a fun afternoon. There was a loud mouth conservative regular that JT had found and started talking to. I know one of the owners of the place. She found us seats and said ' oh JT is talking to so and so...this could go bad'

Within about 5 mins JT had the guy laughing and shaking hands. The PM has the gift of gab...in  person at least. 

he's a good guy, I think his heart is in the right place. But we just need a different skill set now. 

• ThereItIs 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/crude-oil-gold-exports-help-canada-swing-to-surprise-trade-surplus-in-june/ar-AA1okG8U?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=083beb1c4e644032a1d7e82ecd3161fb&ei=78

"

OTTAWA (Reuters) -Canada recorded a surprise trade surplus of C$638 million ($461 million) in June, data showed on Tuesday, mainly led by a jump in shipments of crude oil from the recently expanded Trans Mountain Pipeline.

A surge in exports of gold also boosted exports and, together with energy products shipments, helped exports overtake imports for the first time in four months, Statistics Canada said.

Analysts polled by Reuters had forecast a C$1.84 billion trade deficit. May's trade deficit was revised down to C$1.61 billion from a preliminary C$1.93 billion deficit.

Total exports jumped 5.5% in June, led by crude oil and gold exports, while imports were up 1.9%, driven by cars and light trucks, data showed. By volume, exports rose 3.8% in June, while imports increased by 1.3%.

After 12 years and C$34 billion in costs, Canada in May commissioned the Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion project (TMX), which unlocked the Asia-Pacific market for local crude oil producers.

"They are shipping more through the Trans Mountain pipeline into Asia-Pacific, which is really positive," said Prince Owusu, senior economist with Export Development Canada.

Exports of energy products, which account for over a fifth of all exports from Canada, rose 11.7%. While this was aided by higher prices, Statscan said the increased volume of crude exports was the biggest contributor to the overall increase.

Exports of metal and non-metallic products, which contribute over a 10th of total exports, rose 11.8%, led largely by exports of unwrought gold.

The Bank of Canada lowered its benchmark interest rate for a second straight month in July and indicated its focus was shifting to boosting the economy.

Financial markets have fully priced in a 25-basis-point cut in the central bank's key policy rate at its September meeting and expect similar cuts at its October and December meetings.

The Canadian dollar pared losses after the data, trading marginally down 0.04% at 1.3829 to the U.S. dollar, or 72.26 U.S. cents.

The rise in total imports was led by motor vehicles and parts as well as consumer goods.

An 8.2% rise to a record C$6.8 billion in imports of passenger cars and light trucks drove the motor vehicles and parts category in June.

Exports to the United States, by far Canada's largest trading partner, rose for a third consecutive month and outpaced the growth in imports in June, leading to Canada's trade surplus with its neighbor widening to the highest level since November 2023.

($1 = 1.3840 Canadian dollars)

• Thanks 2

Just now, Gurn said:

led by a jump in shipments of crude oil from the recently expanded Trans Mountain Pipeline.

Interesting.

Anyone remember which government got that pipeline expanded?

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/crude-oil-gold-exports-help-canada-swing-to-surprise-trade-surplus-in-june/ar-AA1okG8U?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=083beb1c4e644032a1d7e82ecd3161fb&ei=78

"

OTTAWA (Reuters) -Canada recorded a surprise trade surplus of C$638 million ($461 million) in June, data showed on Tuesday, mainly led by a jump in shipments of crude oil from the recently expanded Trans Mountain Pipeline.

A surge in exports of gold also boosted exports and, together with energy products shipments, helped exports overtake imports for the first time in four months, Statistics Canada said.

Analysts polled by Reuters had forecast a C$1.84 billion trade deficit. May's trade deficit was revised down to C$1.61 billion from a preliminary C$1.93 billion deficit.

Total exports jumped 5.5% in June, led by crude oil and gold exports, while imports were up 1.9%, driven by cars and light trucks, data showed. By volume, exports rose 3.8% in June, while imports increased by 1.3%.

After 12 years and C$34 billion in costs, Canada in May commissioned the Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion project (TMX), which unlocked the Asia-Pacific market for local crude oil producers.

"They are shipping more through the Trans Mountain pipeline into Asia-Pacific, which is really positive," said Prince Owusu, senior economist with Export Development Canada.

Exports of energy products, which account for over a fifth of all exports from Canada, rose 11.7%. While this was aided by higher prices, Statscan said the increased volume of crude exports was the biggest contributor to the overall increase.

Exports of metal and non-metallic products, which contribute over a 10th of total exports, rose 11.8%, led largely by exports of unwrought gold.

The Bank of Canada lowered its benchmark interest rate for a second straight month in July and indicated its focus was shifting to boosting the economy.

Financial markets have fully priced in a 25-basis-point cut in the central bank's key policy rate at its September meeting and expect similar cuts at its October and December meetings.

The Canadian dollar pared losses after the data, trading marginally down 0.04% at 1.3829 to the U.S. dollar, or 72.26 U.S. cents.

The rise in total imports was led by motor vehicles and parts as well as consumer goods.

An 8.2% rise to a record C$6.8 billion in imports of passenger cars and light trucks drove the motor vehicles and parts category in June.

Exports to the United States, by far Canada's largest trading partner, rose for a third consecutive month and outpaced the growth in imports in June, leading to Canada's trade surplus with its neighbor widening to the highest level since November 2023.

($1 = 1.3840 Canadian dollars)

The pipeline that trudeau never wanted that cost to much that was bad and wrong and and and and and

TMX is part of what was needed in 1980

The recent completion of the Trans Mountain (TMX) pipeline expansion was celebrated as a success, for both Canada’s energy sector, and as a boost to the Canadian economy. However, the forecast that the TMX pipeline will contribute more to Canada’s growth (0.25 percentage points) than the entire province of British Columbia (0.23 percentage points) is a rude and sobering wake-up call.

https://energynow.ca/2024/07/trans-mountain-pipeline-outperforming-the-entire-b-c-economy-should-be-a-wakeup-call/

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

PP and the conservatives have Canada at a boiling / breaking point.  All they have down for several years have stoked hate as much as possible ……. Consequences to Canada be damed 

The damage to us as a country pitting citizen against citizen , neighbour against neighbour… has ripped this country apart.  PP and his followers have made the decision that they are fully prepared to destroy the country to take power 

An elected leader should participate in community events for all their citizens … 

provided that the group isn’t a hate group 

the fact that PP followers amd ticky tockey supporters are loosing their minds and calling it woke shows just how badly damaged they have made Canada 

i don't care for Trudeau but PP’s hate agenda is killing the soul of Canada and our democracy 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Sapper said:

PP and the conservatives have Canada at a boiling / breaking point.  All they have down for several years have stoked hate as much as possible ……. Consequences to Canada be damed 

The damage to us as a country pitting citizen against citizen , neighbour against neighbour… has ripped this country apart.  PP and his followers have made the decision that they are fully prepared to destroy the country to take power 

An elected leader should participate in community events for all their citizens … 

provided that the group isn’t a hate group 

the fact that PP followers amd ticky tockey supporters are loosing their minds and calling it woke shows just how badly damaged they have made Canada 

i don't care for Trudeau but PP’s hate agenda is killing the soul of Canada and our democracy 

I totally agree that PP is a creep, and some of his followers are pretty awful people. 

But I don't agree wit the "ripped the country apart" aspect. That assumes that 1/2 the country agrees with PP, which they don't. You'll never get the far right to agree to play nice with anyone. 

PP absolutely panders to the worst people in Canada though, and hopefully more moderate voters will wake up to that. 

• Cheers 1