Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

Let's not get lost in semantics here... Do you truly believe beheading someone is comparable to blocking the border?

I am antisemantic but I have to point out you forgot to mention the word 'gun'.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Funny, I'm still driving my (albeit efficient) ICE car. Nobody has "forced me in to an EV". And I'd argue that given the urgency on climate change, we should be making hard decisions and firm policies/taxation to encourage movement away from carbon. That's the role of responsible government. Granted you need a plan, a road map etc and that could certainly use some work. The only way to get that infrastructure there, is policies to promote it.  And you seem to agree we do in fact need to do something (we do), so this doesn't seem to qualify as "too left". 

Why is it a joke? Plastics, like carbon are a MAJOR environmental issue. As above, this is in fact the role of responsible government. Hard decisions for the long term benefit of the country and it's citizens. I already made an effort to minimize my single use plastic use, none of these laws have had any effect on my day to day. I also don't see how this is "too left"

"Bleading hearts" 🙄 "Tough on crime" hasn't worked any better FWIW. The problem with "bleading heart" (AKA progressive) crime policies, is that you need the proper supports in place to have them be successful. Again, a better follow up plan/roadmap is needed. The policies themselves aren't the problem, we have evidence of this from countries who've had success with similar initiatives, when properly supported/followed through. By that definition, if anything it's "not left enough". 

See above. The decriminalization of drug use, having it fall under a mental health vs criminal umbrella, is a step in the right direction. Addiction, trauma, mental health are not criminal issues. But you need the proper support and systems in place to actually deal with these people. Again, if anything it's "not left enough". Reversing the little good that's been done by voting in Cons is not the answer. That's just takes us back to the bad place we already were.

Ice vehicles are banned in the year 2025. That's barely 11 years from now. What have we done to upgrade and make our electric grid capable of handling all the charging. What about people up north who live in cold climates where electric doesn't work as well? What about people who live in condos with limited parking and charging stations? There currently isn't enough charging stations where I live to effectively use in the absence of your own charging station.

Plastics aren't going anywhere. Punishing consumers instead of the corporations using wasteful packaging is as about as backwards as it gets

At least with tough on crime I didn't have to walk through plumes of meth an other toxic drug smokes.

You mention other places with systems that work but we aren't those places and we aren't doing what those places are doing that makes them successful. We are putting lipstick on a pig whichs screams far left to me.

Support is the key word. Until there is proper funding for support it doesn't matter what policies you implement. I've seen the repercussions of these choices and it's not pretty 

8 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Let's not get lost in semantics here... Do you truly believe beheading someone is comparable to blocking the border?

...with guns and a manifesto to overthrow the legally elected government.

You missed that part.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, aGENT said:

...with guns and a manifesto to overthrow the legally elected government.

You missed that part.

That "manifesto" was written by like 3 people. Again we are really trying to compare a dude from Isis that beheaded someone to rednecks with guns?

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Other than perhaps a couple posters, the only time people get called racist, misogynistic etc...is when they're being  racist, misogynistic etc.

My post also literally had nothing to do with those things either, so I'm not sure how that's the "problem with this post"

Anti mask/vaxxers are/were largely selfish morons being lead around people using them as political weapons, that couldn't bother to do the absolute minimum to help people at risk and minimize overloading our medical system and the people working in it. That's my honest and completely non partisan opinion 😉 I'd say the same thing if that person is an NDP, Liberal or Con supporter. 

No, he's not. That's ridiculous. Plus I thought he was all about helping his capitalist buddies? You can't have both lol.

And I hate to break it to you, but we need some "wealth redistribution". As I mentioned....

"If anything, given the continuing growth in wage disparity, shrinking middle class, corporate profiteering, corporate takeover of housing etc that we keep seeing, we could still stand going a bit further left in some of our tax and corporate (monopolies, fair competition etc) policies"

Hey, I'm all for better government efficiency. I'm not here to tell you the Trudeau Libs have been perfect/amazing or even to vote for them. I don't think we should be voting for them or the Cons. And I'm not a big fan of Singh or the current NDP either. I'm here to point out that as much as you may dislike Trudeau, and/or the Liberals, voting in Conservatives will only only make most of our biggest problems worse, not better. I'm asking you to actually critically think about party policies, voting records etc and not just make a reactive, emotional decision.

I hear the biggest issue with Gen Z is them being upset at rich people having to pay more taxes. 

That "manifesto" was written by like 3 people. Again we are really trying to compare a dude from Isis that beheaded someone to rednecks with guns?

both are would-be murderers, its the Coutts morons didn't quite get the chance. And one has mental illness as an excuse, vs being mad at Justin. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Were they given the chance or did our law enforcement personnel remove that possibility?

Do you have any evidence of a plot to kill anyone? I.e like the evidence the RCMP has on the Isis terrorist who beheaded someone?

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

both are would-be murderers, its the Coutts morons didn't quite get the chance. And one has mental illness as an excuse, vs being mad at Justin. 

Source? You got evidence that there was a plot to kill people?

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Other than perhaps a couple posters, the only time people get called racist, misogynistic etc...is when they're being  racist, misogynistic etc.

My post also literally had nothing to do with those things either, so I'm not sure how that's the "problem with this post"

Anti mask/vaxxers are/were largely selfish morons being lead around people using them as political weapons, that couldn't bother to do the absolute minimum to help people at risk and minimize overloading our medical system and the people working in it. That's my honest and completely non partisan opinion 😉 I'd say the same thing if that person is an NDP, Liberal or Con supporter. 

No, he's not. That's ridiculous. Plus I thought he was all about helping his capitalist buddies? You can't have both lol.

And I hate to break it to you, but we need some "wealth redistribution". As I mentioned....

"If anything, given the continuing growth in wage disparity, shrinking middle class, corporate profiteering, corporate takeover of housing etc that we keep seeing, we could still stand going a bit further left in some of our tax and corporate (monopolies, fair competition etc) policies"

Hey, I'm all for better government efficiency. I'm not here to tell you the Trudeau Libs have been perfect/amazing or even to vote for them. I don't think we should be voting for them or the Cons. And I'm not a big fan of Singh or the current NDP either. I'm here to point out that as much as you may dislike Trudeau, and/or the Liberals, voting in Conservatives will only only make most of our biggest problems worse, not better. I'm asking you to actually critically think about party policies, voting records etc and not just make a reactive, emotional decision.

So, you are voting Green Party then, or Bloc?

You also admit that we need "some wealth distribution".  At least you are honest about that.  I respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it...

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's definitely a cult Ricky.  They know there is literally no comparison at all, but they will defend their position until the end, even though their position is full of bollocks...

• Cheers 2

I'm not defending their actions. I'm calling out the stupidity of trying to compare the acts and the people 

they both intended to murder people. One guy was nuts, the others mad at Justin. 

You seem to want to think one is OK. Gee I wonder why? Pretend the folks in Coutts didn't like Harper. 

Do you have any evidence of a plot to kill anyone? I.e like the evidence the RCMP has on the Isis terrorist who beheaded someone?

What do you think the weapons were for?  I know they were found not guilty but my question remains.

On second thought, just call it rhetorical.   I think those four were dangerous traitors; apparently you do not.  What do you think the chances are of either of us convincing the other?  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

they both intended to murder people. One guy was nuts, the others mad at Justin. 

You seem to want to think one is OK. Gee I wonder why? Pretend the folks in Coutts didn't like Harper. 

If both intended to murder people please provide the source then.

We know for sure one tried to kill people and did in fact murder someone. We have evidence of that.

So where's the evidence that the people blocking the border were going to murder someone? I would like to see that please 

If both intended to murder people please provide the source then.

go look at the coverage of the trial Ricky. But you know this, but still, you defend them because... Alberta? Justin hate? both? dunno. 

We know for sure one tried to kill people and did in fact murder someone. We have evidence of that.

So where's the evidence that the people blocking the border were going to murder someone? I would like to see that please 

stop playing dumb. You know the story well. 

15 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Ice vehicles are banned in the year 2025. That's barely 11 years from now. What have we done to upgrade and make our electric grid capable of handling all the charging. What about people up north who live in cold climates where electric doesn't work as well? What about people who live in condos with limited parking and charging stations? There currently isn't enough charging stations where I live to effectively use in the absence of your own charging station.

Plastics aren't going anywhere. Punishing consumers instead of the corporations using wasteful packaging is as about as backwards as it gets

At least with tough on crime I didn't have to walk through plumes of meth an other toxic drug smokes.

You mention other places with systems that work but we aren't those places and we aren't doing what those places are doing that makes them successful. We are putting lipstick on a pig whichs screams far left to me.

Support is the key word. Until there is proper funding for support it doesn't matter what policies you implement. I've seen the repercussions of these choices and it's not pretty 

WTF are you talking about? That's next year.....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's definitely a cult Ricky.  They know there is literally no comparison at all, but they will defend their position until the end, even though their position is full of bollocks...

Cult? This is the new approach?  Find something with legs, that can be defended, and not so easily flipped back at you.  

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

What do you think the weapons were for?  I know they were found not guilty but my question remains.

On second thought, just call it rhetorical.   I think those four were dangerous traitors; apparently you do not.  What do you think the chances are of either of us convincing the other?  

To look and feel tough would be my guess?

Did they shoot anyone though? Is there proof of a plot to kill anyone?

What you aren't going to convince me of is that the 2 acts are comparable. 

Just now, Satchmo said:

Cult? This is the new approach?  Find something with legs, that can be defended, and not so easily flipped back at you.  

Petey is a liberal, remember? 😂

they don't want to honestly engage, don't even bother trying. Mocking is more fun.

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

WTF are you talking about? That's next year.....

Jesus Christ... A quick google search would show that my fat fingers just typed the wrong number.. 

What year is 11 years from now...?