Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

Ice vehicles are banned in the year 2025. That's barely 11 years from now. What have we done to upgrade and make our electric grid capable of handling all the charging. What about people up north who live in cold climates where electric doesn't work as well? What about people who live in condos with limited parking and charging stations? There currently isn't enough charging stations where I live to effectively use in the absence of your own charging station.

*2035. And ICE vehicles aren't "banned" as of then either. There will still be plenty on the road. Let's tone down the hyperbole if you wish to have an actual conversation

Again, as I said, we need a roadmap of how to get there. The problem isn't the policy, it's the lack of plan on how to get there. I'd argue we need better government incentives, rebates, business policies etc as plans to get those things and get us there. Again, if anything, it's not "left enough". The alternative is to what just sit here?  Reverse the little steps we have taken? That's sounds like the opposite of smart.

Plastics aren't going anywhere. Punishing consumers instead of the corporations using wasteful packaging is as about as backwards as it gets

Consumers are the problem. Corporations by nature will do the easiest, most profitable thing. They're companies, not citizens. Consumers make choices. If they make poor choices that negatively effect the well being/costs of their country/citizens, good policy would dictate that you make regulations to help minimize those damages. It's why we have seatbelt laws and cigarette taxes. Are they "backwards" too?

At least with tough on crime I didn't have to walk through plumes of meth an other toxic drug smokes.

You mention other places with systems that work but we aren't those places and we aren't doing what those places are doing that makes them successful. We are putting lipstick on a pig whichs screams far left to me.

Support is the key word. Until there is proper funding for support it doesn't matter what policies you implement. I've seen the repercussions of these choices and it's not pretty 

Yeah you did. Maybe it was less slightly visible but it was out there. Made-up pigs are (screams?) left? What? 🤨

Yes, support is the key. That's more left, not right. I've seen the repercussions of "tough on crime" too. It's not pretty either. Hasn't worked for... well forever. Seems we should keep trying to move towards what has shown to work elsewhere vs back to something that we have hundreds of years of proof doesn't work.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you are comparing the Convoy protestors to actual ISIS terrorists who dismember people's bodies and commit terrorist activities around the world?  And you call the far night nutjobs...

So.  Threatening to murder officers while having arms and body armour but being arrested first is different than threatening a terror attack but being arrested first.

How exactly?  Walk me through how this is different.  Explain it to me like I'm 5 years old or supporting modern conservative values because they're the same thing

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's definitely a cult Ricky.  They know there is literally no comparison at all, but they will defend their position until the end, even though their position is full of bollocks...

I think your mirror figured out a way to post.

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Jesus Christ... A quick google search would show that my fat fingers just typed the wrong number.. 

What year is 11 years from now...?

Well I dunno Ricky....it didn't sound any dumber than the rest of the shit you're posting, so I wasn't sure if you were serious or not....

The willful ignorance on the Coutts clowns for example....here's a rundown of text messages between them:

"It's our last stand here," said one message in a group chat. "If we lose Coutts we have lost. I will not lose."

"Sometimes you have to sacrifice yourself for the greater good," stated another.

"We ain't leaving," said an individual identified as Reid.

"We ain't going nowhere … unless it's in a body bag."

Another person identified as Terri threatened to bring the whole place down: "I know I am going to die. It might as well be for the right things."

Another promised to send in "heavy hitters" if the protest escalated, and pledged "sacrifice if needed."

"They touch anyone it's full open season. They know this," another replied.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/coutts-blockade-trial-text-messages-1.7249345

BTW: in 2035 you will still be allowed to drive an ICE vehicle. You just won't be able to purchase one.

Of course this is a moot point anyway. Everyone knows that PP is going to win in a bigger landslide than the Chilcotin.....he'll just kill that "woke" bill anyway....

....and there will be much rejoicing in 'Berta

image.gif.77a5ab0bb57df3c080a4f54193200445.gif

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So.  Threatening to murder officers while having arms and body armour but being arrested first is different than threatening a terror attack but being arrested first.

How exactly?  Walk me through how this is different.  Explain it to me like I'm 5 years old or supporting modern conservative values because they're the same thing

I think that would be the best you could hope for in this case, anyway....

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you are voting Green Party then, or Bloc?

You also admit that we need "some wealth distribution".  At least you are honest about that.  I respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it...

I honestly don't know who I'm voting for. They're all varying degrees of "suck". In my area I'll likely hold my nose and vote NDP but I'm not exactly thrilled about it.

Let's be clear. By "wealth redistribution" I definitely mean smarter/farer taxation and government policies/systems in the face of historically low corporates/wealthy tax rates, loop holes and wage gaps. Nobody's seizing your personal wealth and property for "The People's Party of Canada". That's ridiculous.

What's your/the Con solution to growing wage disparity, unaffordability,  general race to the bottom economics we're falling prey to that are hallmarks of *checks notes* the right?

• ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

That "manifesto" was written by like 3 people. Again we are really trying to compare a dude from Isis that beheaded someone to rednecks with guns?

Wait who from isis beheaded someone in Canada?

Aren't we talking about two members who immigrated here that were arrested?

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I honestly don't know who I'm voting for. They're all varying degrees of "suck". In my area I'll likely hold my nose and vote NDP but I'm not exactly thrilled about it.

Let's be clear. By "wealth redistribution" I definitely mean smarter/farer taxation and government policies/systems in the face of historically low corporates/wealthy tax rates, loop holes and wage gaps. Nobody's seizing your personal wealth and property for "The People's Party of Canada". That's ridiculous.

What's your/the Con solution to growing wage disparity, unaffordability,  general race to the bottom economics we're falling prey to that are hallmarks of *checks notes* the right?

something something gatekeepers? 

29 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Do you have any evidence of a plot to kill anyone? I.e like the evidence the RCMP has on the Isis terrorist who beheaded someone?

Hmmm.  Martyrs willing to die for a cause right?  Terrorists?

What evidence?  His own words?

How is this different than an isis members beliefs?

The trial heard that Carbert called police “losers” and “the enemy.” In texts to his mother, he equated the blockade to a war, telling her if police came in and they lost the fight at Coutts, he would likely die in a wider conflict.

Olienick told undercover officers posing as protest volunteers that if the blockade was lost, the next step might be an invasion from United Nations troops or Chinese communists.

He said if police tried to storm the barricade, he would “slit their throats.”

Police found the guns, ammunition and body armour in trailers near the blockade and more guns, ammunition and two pipe bombs at Olienick’s home in Claresholm, Alta.

34 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

That "manifesto" was written by like 3 people. Again we are really trying to compare a dude from Isis that beheaded someone to rednecks with guns?

Are they EXACTLY the same? No.

But we both know that's just the strawman you're attempting to prop up in order to I dunno... score "internet pown the libtards points" or something rather than having an actual, intellectually honest, discussion.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Well I dunno Ricky....it didn't sound any dumber than the rest of the shit you're posting, so I wasn't sure if you were serious or not....

The willful ignorance on the Coutts clowns for example....here's a rundown of text messages between them:

"It's our last stand here," said one message in a group chat. "If we lose Coutts we have lost. I will not lose."

"Sometimes you have to sacrifice yourself for the greater good," stated another.

Another person identified as Terri threatened to bring the whole place down: "I know I am going to die. It might as well be for the right things."

Another promised to send in "heavy hitters" if the protest escalated, and pledged "sacrifice if needed."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/coutts-blockade-trial-text-messages-1.7249345

BTW: in 2035 you will still be allowed to drive an ICE vehicle. You just won't be able to purchase one.

Of course this is a moot point anyway. Everyone knows that PP is going to win in a bigger landslide than the Chilcotin.....he'll just kill that "woke" bill anyway....

There it is!! I was reading through this thread and so badly wanted to respond to Ricky with this, as he really thought he was onto something with the false equivalence, but I hadn't finished reading yet. You beat me to it, cheers. They threatened violence, were politically motivated, and had the tools necessary to carry out their threat. This is terrorism, plain and simple. You're up Ricky.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Amongst all the dirty, abandoned wells, burnt trees and dry rivers. "We won, we're number one!"

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How did a terrorist become a Canadian citizen?  Can you explain that?

I didn't realize the prime minister handled (screened) immigrants personally. I think some one in the department of immigration made a boo boo.

20 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

The very next sentence makes quite clear what I meant if you used your critical thinking skills. Do you have those in your possession? Either you don't or just being purposely obtuse. Don't know what's Dumber honestly.

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Wait who from isis beheaded someone in Canada?

Aren't we talking about two members who immigrated here that were arrested?

Nobody said anyone was beheaded in Canada? Where are you even getting that from?

The very next sentence makes quite clear what I meant if you used your critical thinking skills. Do you have those in your possession? Either you don't or just being purposely obtuse. Don't know what's Dumber honestly.

Critical thinking wasn't really required. TBH, I got as far as 2025 and hit the reply button.

Sorry about that, but I'm not really all that interested in what you have to say. For the record however, "critical thinking" might have been handy for you, when you were making the claim that we wouldn't be allowed to drive ICE cars in 2035.....

It would have saved you from making two embarrassing gaffes.....

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Critical thinking wasn't really required. TBH, I got as far as 2025 and hit the reply button.

Sorry about that, but I'm not really all that interested in what you have to say. For the record however, "critical thinking" might have been handy for you, when you were making the claim that we wouldn't be allowed to drive ICE cars in 2035.....

It would have saved you from making two embarrassing gaffes.....

This shit is embarrassing. Yes I know ice vehicles will still be allowed on the road. I love how posters in this thread take words to a literal tee in hopes to get some sort of "dunk" it's sad really. They will be banned for purchase though. Is that better for you now?

They will be banned for purchase though. Is that better for you now?

It's clearer. Outside of the aforementioned and obvious hurdles, why is that a bad thing? 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

This shit is embarrassing. Yes I know ice vehicles will still be allowed on the road. I love how posters in this thread take words to a literal tee in hopes to get some sort of "dunk" it's sad really. They will be banned for purchase though. Is that better for you now?

hey, we're all just here for the evidence. 

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Hmmm.  Martyrs willing to die for a cause right?  Terrorists?

What evidence?  His own words?

How is this different than an isis members beliefs?

The trial heard that Carbert called police “losers” and “the enemy.” In texts to his mother, he equated the blockade to a war, telling her if police came in and they lost the fight at Coutts, he would likely die in a wider conflict.

Olienick told undercover officers posing as protest volunteers that if the blockade was lost, the next step might be an invasion from United Nations troops or Chinese communists.

He said if police tried to storm the barricade, he would “slit their throats.”

Police found the guns, ammunition and body armour in trailers near the blockade and more guns, ammunition and two pipe bombs at Olienick’s home in Claresholm, Alta.

I hadn't seen any of that trial, so this is new info to me. They are garbage and deserve whatever sentence they get but they still didn't behead someone on video. They uttered threats. That's still a pretty different level of terrorism to me that cannot be compared

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I hadn't seen any of that trial, so this is new info to me. They are garbage and deserve whatever sentence they get but they still didn't behead someone on video. They uttered threats. That's still a pretty different level of terrorism to me that cannot be compared

but they would have killed RCMP officers, if the opportunity presented itself. It's only different by degree of implementation, the intention is the same. 

Edited by Bob Long

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's clearer. Outside of the aforementioned and obvious hurdles, why is that a bad thing? 

There's many reasons. 

People living in cold climates.

What happens if power is knocked out for an extensive period of time during a disaster?

How do we prepare for the load on the grid when all these new vehicles are added.

Replacement batteries are still soooo expensive that people are straight ditching broken down EVs instead of repairing them.

There is still many hurdle and the technology still isn't quite there yet.

Long distance hauling. Still very tough with EVs.

Not necessarily saying it's a bad thing to do eventually. We just are nowhere near ready yet