Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

My one and only 🥰

I mean in a perfect world we would already be carbon free but alas the technology just isn't there yet

I mean the rich and privileged are the only ones driving EVs right now.

They definitely are, which is why I mentioned them. We shouldn't just be solely focused on one technology when multiple can bring our carbon emissions down. 

It's more the Justin Trudeau plan then the Liberals as a whole that grinds my gears.

I don't have a "party plan" just whoever isn't Trudeau currently plan 🤷

The technology is a work in progress.  All technology is really.

In ten years the cars owned by the rich and privileged will be on used car lots and the rich and privileged will have even fancier ones.   Same as it ever was.

We are working on many technologies beside just EV's.   Transportation is a big part of our problems though so better transportation technology is a must.

Justin is not alone on this.  He's just the poster boy.

31 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

My one and only 🥰

I mean in a perfect world we would already be carbon free but alas the technology just isn't there yet

What technology isn't there yet? They're pretty damn capable for 9/10 of what cars are used for and both they and the supportive infrastructure are improving daily. And again, this seems like you agree that if anything we need further left governance to help get those things better, even faster, Not to the right, backwards and worse. Did you just craft you're own pro-left argument? 😝

I mean the rich and privileged are the only ones driving EVs right now.

They definitely are, which is why I mentioned them. We shouldn't just be solely focused on one technology when multiple can bring our carbon emissions down. 

Where I live there's a lot of "regular" people driving electric cars. My octogenarian neighbours daughter who is a single (no dual income) teacher has a Nissan Leaf. I've got another couple neighbors with hybrid Toyotas. I see electric cars quite frequently when driving around for work. Far more than there are "rich and privileged people". Unless you're talking "rich and privileged globally" which is pretty much everyone in Canada minus our poorest. 

According to a quick Google:

The average cost of a new car in Canada in 2023, according to AutoTrader, rose to $67,817, an increase of nearly 20 per cent over 2022.

Are you trying to tell me you can't get an electric car for the average price of a new vehicle in Canada?

It's more the Justin Trudeau plan then the Liberals as a whole that grinds my gears.

I don't have a "party plan" just whoever isn't Trudeau currently plan 🤷

I don't love JT by any means, wouldn't be sad to see him go. Honestly I don't really pay him that much mind. But y'all give him FAR too much credit. He's the face of the party, he doesn't unilaterally decide policy and make laws. Particularly in a minority. He's certainly not responsible for half the shit you guys blame him for (like the ridiculous terrorist nonsense from earlier). He's just there as the face that tries to sell you on the party. JT isn't particularly important on his own. None of the leaders are (and frankly they're all pretty bad currently) Policies, voting records, doing what's right for the country, long term, even if it's hard. That's the important stuff to vote for. That and your actual local MP. 

Edited by aGENT

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seems like you need a history lesson Hippy. And treating you like a 5 year old in order to explain it are your words not mine. 

The goal of ISIS is to become a caliphate. They are a terrorist organization similar to Al Qaeda. Their mission statement is to control and conquer the Middle East as well as other countries. They want to abolish all other religions in the process. In order to get what they want, they use terror and killings to control people and governments. 

Anyone who is a member of ISIS cannot live in Canada. They would be deported.  Even someone who isn’t a member of ISIS but promotes terror can be deported. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/man-who-praised-isis-on-social-media-ordered-deported-from-canada-1.4880418

Man who praised ISIS on social media ordered deported from Canada

Now compare that to the Coutts situation where these Canadian citizens had guns, ammo and other things and wanted revenge on the government. Killing police officers is a terrible crime, but so is rape. Doesn’t mean those people would be considered terrorists and deported. 

My friend in Chilliwack has guns and ammo. They have like 2 rifles, a glock and some pistols. They have 1000 round of ammo. Would you consider them terrorists similar to ISIS?  

The fact is people make threats against police all the time. Doesn’t mean they are terrorists.  Doesn’t mean they are going to behead other people and turn Canada into an Islamist state. 

That was a history lesson?  The first bit was social studies lesson maybe, the next bit an opinion piece, followed by yet another tale of a Chilliwack friend, and another opinion piece.

Should we perhaps consider all we are really arguing about is the definition of the word terrorist? 

In Canada, section 83.01 of the Criminal Code[1] defines terrorism as an act committed "in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause" with the intention of intimidating the public "…with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act." Activities recognized as criminal within this context include death and bodily harm with the use of violence; endangering a person’s life; risks posed to the health and safety of the public; significant property damage; and interference or disruption of essential services, facilities or systems. 

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/cj-jp/victim/rr09_6/p3.html

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

My friend in Chilliwack has guns and ammo. They have like 2 rifles, a glock and some pistols. They have 1000 round of ammo. Would you consider them terrorists similar to ISIS?  

The fact is people make threats against police all the time. Doesn’t mean they are terrorists.  Doesn’t mean they are going to behead other people and turn Canada into an Islamist state. 

We’d need to know more. Does your friend have any connections to Diagalon or any other far-right extremist organizations or militias like the ones charged in Coutts? Has your friend been making threats against governments/police  or other institutions? Does your friend also have explosives? 

If the answer is yes to any of these questions you might want to reconsider who your friends are, and certainly don’t have them to your dinner parties. If it’s just guns and ammo fill your boots.

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

The very next sentence makes quite clear what I meant if you used your critical thinking skills. Do you have those in your possession? Either you don't or just being purposely obtuse. Don't know what's Dumber honestly.

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Nobody said anyone was beheaded in Canada? Where are you even getting that from?

You're intentionally ignoring the fact that you're giving the Coutts terrorists a fucking pass while shitting on the government over two other terrorists who were also arrested before they could act.

So, show some stones.  How the fuck are they different?

Your hypocrisy is showing 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

13 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

That was a history lesson?  The first bit was social studies lesson maybe, the next bit an opinion piece, followed by yet another tale of a Chilliwack friend, and another opinion piece.

Should we perhaps consider all we are really arguing about is the definition of the word terrorist? 

In Canada, section 83.01 of the Criminal Code[1] defines terrorism as an act committed "in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause" with the intention of intimidating the public "…with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act." Activities recognized as criminal within this context include death and bodily harm with the use of violence; endangering a person’s life; risks posed to the health and safety of the public; significant property damage; and interference or disruption of essential services, facilities or systems. 

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/cj-jp/victim/rr09_6/p3.html

Weren't the Coutts people acquitted of the charge of conspiracy to murder?  Did the judge or the jury label them as terrorists?  The dude who almost blew up an airport is a confirmed operative of ISIS.  So, he is a confirmed terrorist and will get deported...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I hadn't seen any of that trial, so this is new info to me. They are garbage and deserve whatever sentence they get but they still didn't behead someone on video. They uttered threats. That's still a pretty different level of terrorism to me that cannot be compared

They LITERALLY planned to murder RCMP and border services officers and had the weapons on hand to do.

They didn't behrad someone?  Who the hell did?  You are all over the board here and are still giving these guys a "fine people on both sides" style pass here.

Own the loss bud, you earned it

• Cheers 1

And if they had acted, I'd say they are no better than the ones who just got caught. 

Bet you most were pussies talking tough and wouldn't have actually done anything but I have no proof of that just going off that type

But they were talking about it and planned it.

Which is different than the two individuals arrested and part of isis who were just talking about it how?

Explain how it's different.  Really REALLY wanna see you walk around this one 

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

We’d need to know more. Does your friend have any connections to Diagalon or any other far-right extremist organizations or militias like the ones charged in Coutts? Has your friend been making threats against governments/police  or other institutions? Does your friend also have explosives? 

If the answer is yes to any of these questions you might want to reconsider who your friends are, and certainly don’t have them to your dinner parties. If it’s just guns and ammo fill your boots.

No, No and No, but she has a Tik Tok account.  Her Facebook account was banned.  I believe she even has a Twitter account.  But considering Elon Musk is a terrorist and a fascist I am sure she won't get banned from that platform...

Some of us don't spend every waking moment on CBC or reading politics.

Dug my heals into what? All I said is the 2 aren't comparable and even with the new info I still stand by that statement. THE DUDE LITERALLY BEHEADED SOMEONE. THAT SHIT NOT COMPARABLE 

Who beheaded someone?  Where were they when it happened?  What proof do you have?

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Weren't the Coutts people acquitted of the charge of conspiracy to murder?  Did the judge or the jury label them as terrorists?  The dude who almost blew up an airport is a confirmed operative of ISIS.  So, he is a confirmed terrorist and will get deported...

I have no idea what the judge said or thought.   The jury found them not guilty of conspiring to kill RCMP officers though they had discussed it.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/coutts-trial-acquittal

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, No and No, but she has a Tik Tok account.  Her Facebook account was banned.  I believe she even has a Twitter account.  But considering Elon Musk is a terrorist and a fascist I am sure she won't get banned from that platform...

Well then she’s not a terrorist or even close.

Privately owned platforms, like this one, make the rules.
No Elon won’t ban her, well not unless she criticizes him.

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes they were and I disagree with the verdict.

Why do I feel like you would too had the accused been Islamic fundamentalists making threats to turn Canada into a caliphate and to behead police if they entered their encampment? Wouldn’t you be pissed that they weren’t convicted and /or deported? I know I would.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Well then she’s not a terrorist or even close.

Privately owned platforms, like this one, make the rules.
No Elon won’t ban her, well not unless she criticizes him.

Yes they were and I disagree with the verdict.

Why do I feel like you would too had the accused been Islamic fundamentalists making threats to turn Canada into a caliphate and to behead police if they entered their encampment? Wouldn’t you be pissed that they weren’t convicted and /or deported? I know I would.

Has that ever happened before, where locals claim to be ISIS and want to behead people?  I've never heard of it.  The difference is ISIS is already a known terrorist organization.  They are on the list and anyone associated with them is also considered a terrorist and by Canadian law will be deported.

This is in contrast to someone who is acting alone, might be mentally challenged as many of these people are who commit heinous crimes, and is doing despicable acts.  Robert Pickton, Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson.  Yeah, we've had some psychos in our time.  But none of these people were ever considered a terrorist, working with a large group in order to overthrow governments.  These are heinous human beings and deserve the death penalty.  Coming over the Canada and wanting to blow up an airport or whatever they had planned is completely different.  

Has that ever happened before, where locals claim to be ISIS and want to behead people?  I've never heard of it.  The difference is ISIS is already a known terrorist organization.  They are on the list and anyone associated with them is also considered a terrorist and by Canadian law will be deported.

This is in contrast to someone who is acting alone, might be mentally challenged as many of these people are who commit heinous crimes, and is doing despicable acts.  Robert Pickton, Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson.  Yeah, we've had some psychos in our time.  But none of these people were ever considered a terrorist, working with a large group in order to overthrow governments.  These are heinous human beings and deserve the death penalty.  Coming over the Canada and wanting to blow up an airport or whatever they had planned is completely different.  

The neo-Nazi nutjobs who were trying to overthrow the democratically elected government certainly were not acting alone.  The only difference between these pieces of trash and someone planning to blow up an airport is that they were born here. There is little doubt that the Klown Kar Konvoy were terrorists in every sense of the word; I am grateful that the cops managed to do their job finally.

• Wiener 1

38 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The neo-Nazi nutjobs who were trying to overthrow the democratically elected government certainly were not acting alone.  The only difference between these pieces of trash and someone planning to blow up an airport is that they were born here. There is little doubt that the Klown Kar Konvoy were terrorists in every sense of the word; I am grateful that the cops managed to do their job finally.

How exactly were the Convoy protestors going to overthrow the government?

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You will have seen the organizer's manifesto.  If not, you should look.

Why are you defending the convoy protesters again?

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seems like you need a history lesson Hippy. And treating you like a 5 year old in order to explain it are your words not mine. 

The goal of ISIS is to become a caliphate. They are a terrorist organization similar to Al Qaeda. Their mission statement is to control and conquer the Middle East as well as other countries. They want to abolish all other religions in the process. In order to get what they want, they use terror and killings to control people and governments. 

Anyone who is a member of ISIS cannot live in Canada. They would be deported.  Even someone who isn’t a member of ISIS but promotes terror can be deported. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/man-who-praised-isis-on-social-media-ordered-deported-from-canada-1.4880418

Man who praised ISIS on social media ordered deported from Canada

Now compare that to the Coutts situation where these Canadian citizens had guns, ammo and other things and wanted revenge on the government. Killing police officers is a terrible crime, but so is rape. Doesn’t mean those people would be considered terrorists and deported. 

Oh ok

So your history lesson is you talking out of your ass and doing your best to deflect from the fact that both groups got arrested for literally the same thing but because one is just harmless rednecks armed on site and the others are...agally we say, from another part of the world; it's different.

You can just say what it is you're obviously avoiding.  

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

So instead of owning the loss.

We have the usual suspects taking us all the way back to the dewy days of Jan 2022 pretending that somehow some way things are magically different than what really happened.

All in order to justify their position that one swarthy duo are terrorists because they got arrested for saying they would do roughly the same as a pale duo said they were ready to do.

The lengths people will go to I tell ya

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So instead of owning the loss.

We have the usual suspects taking us all the way back to the dewy days of Jan 2022 pretending that somehow some way things are magically different than what really happened.

All in order to justify their position that one swarthy duo are terrorists because they got arrested for saying they would do roughly the same as a pale duo said they were ready to do.

The lengths people will go to I tell ya

As I said earlier 

moving-goalpost.gif

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

What technology isn't there yet? They're pretty damn capable for 9/10 of what cars are used for and both they and the supportive infrastructure are improving daily. And again, this seems like you agree that if anything we need further left governance to help get those things better, even faster, Not to the right, backwards and worse. Did you just craft you're own pro-left argument? 😝

Where I live there's a lot of "regular" people driving electric cars. My octogenarian neighbours daughter who is a single (no dual income) teacher has a Nissan Leaf. I've got another couple neighbors with hybrid Toyotas. I see electric cars quite frequently when driving around for work. Far more than there are "rich and privileged people". Unless you're talking "rich and privileged globally" which is pretty much everyone in Canada minus our poorest. 

According to a quick Google:

Are you trying to tell me you can't get an electric car for the average price of a new vehicle in Canada?

I don't love JT by any means, wouldn't be sad to see him go. Honestly I don't really pay him that much mind. But y'all give him FAR too much credit. He's the face of the party, he doesn't unilaterally decide policy and make laws. Particularly in a minority. He's certainly not responsible for half the shit you guys blame him for (like the ridiculous terrorist nonsense from earlier). He's just there as the face that tries to sell you on the party. JT isn't particularly important on his own. None of the leaders are (and frankly they're all pretty bad currently) Policies, voting records, doing what's right for the country, long term, even if it's hard. That's the important stuff to vote for. That and your actual local MP. 

The technology still isn't there for hauling goods long distances. Towing is still an issue as well. I don't think it's a left or right thing really. I'm sure lots of right leaning people drive electric vehicles.

It's not just the car though. In order to charge it you are going to need to own your home or it's not going to be very convenient to charge. There's a clear threshold you need to meet before you can even consider buying electric. I rent. Me owning a electric car would be a nightmare trying to find places I could charge it.

A 22% increase in price since 2022. I'd like to see the stats on new car sales right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they are down all together.

Yea, but once JT goes all his muppets will drop with him. We need to clean house of him and all his jabronis 

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'd like to see the stats on new car sales right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they are down all together.

They're up. EV and ICE.

Due to some inventory returning after the drought from covid. More models to choose from.

Everybody is buying trucks.

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

pooping on peoples lawns, shutting down some residential streets in Ottawa, honking horns. 

No one claimed they were smart.