Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Crown Counsel didn’t charge the Coutts crew with terrorism. So they went ahead with the “lower hanging fruit”. 

Crown Counsel “immediately” charged the “Muslim” and his father with terrorism along with the conspiracy charge. 

Can you explain why?  The only explanation I can think of is “racial profiling”. Is that what Crown Counsel did?  

Give me an I. Give me an S.  Give me an I.  Give me an S.

What's that spell?

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At least you can admit it is all your opinion and nothing you said was actually factual. You have my respect now Hippy. 

It's almost cute you think you won something here as opposed to just completely highlighting your insanely apparent bias and kind of gross reasoning behind why one group are terrorists and one aren't

Just now, Warhippy said:

It's almost cute you think you won something here as opposed to just completely highlighting your insanely apparent bias and kind of gross reasoning behind why one group are terrorists and one aren't

Funny how when I am on the side of the law, I am biased while you are the arbiter of truth.  Gross reasoning?  Following the law is gross to you?

Here's a question for you that nobody wants to answer.  Why didn't Crown Counsel charge the Coutts crew with terrorism but immediately charged the "Muslim" with terrorism?  Can you explain that?  

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Funny how when I am on the side of the law, I am biased while you are the arbiter of truth.  Gross reasoning?  Following the law is gross to you?

Here's a question for you that nobody wants to answer.  Why didn't Crown Counsel charge the Coutts crew with terrorism but immediately charged the "Muslim" with terrorism?  Can you explain that?  

Didn't I answer that question?

Ahmed Fouad Mostafa Eldidi, 62, and Mostafa Eldidi, 26, face a total of nine charges. Among them is one count each of conspiracy to commit murder for the benefit or at the direction of a terrorist group — namely ISIS, a Sunni Muslim militant organization

What does Canada think of ISIS? (see currently listed terrorist entities)

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/cntr-trrrsm/lstd-ntts/crrnt-lstd-ntts-en.aspx?wbdisable=true

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Give me an I. Give me an S.  Give me an I.  Give me an S.

What's that spell?

So, you fully admit that the reason the "Muslim" was charged with terrorism is because he is a member of ISIS?

Yes, victory at last!!!!!!!!!!!  I am fully vindicated!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you for confirming the obvious, it only took 6 pages to get the truth out!!!!!!!!!!!  😊

yes-baby.gif

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you fully admit that the reason the "Muslim" was charged with terrorism is because he is a member of ISIS?

Yes, victory at last!!!!!!!!!!!  I am fully vindicated!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you for confirming the obvious, it only took 6 pages to get the truth out!!!!!!!!!!!  😊

yes-baby.gif

What the fuck are you gloating over?  You are the only one talking about Muslims when we speak of ISIS and terrorism.

Edited by Satchmo

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

On...the side of the law?

K.

As for the rest.  Talk to the lawyers.  Because the RCMP officers.  The mayor and more called them terrorists of a domestic nature.  I am sure you have a smile behind you as you anticipate the answer and that's ok.  I get it.  We know your slant or bias and that's fine.  Some people can't help themselves.

As for the 2 others who were charged, it was directly because of their ties to a terrorist organization period.  Otherwise they'd have been tried under almost identical charges as the Coutts conspirators.  But then, that doesn't track with your seeming reasoning to defend them so whatever.

• Vintage 1

Looks like robocall Pierre didn't learn...

Now it's bots telling people to "brave the cold" during a summer rally and heat wave

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-rally-kirkland-conservative-bots-1.7287901

The NDP has called on the elections commissioner to find out what's behind an army of social media bots supporting Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre.

New Democrats said the social media platform X was inundated with posts after Poilievre's tour of Northern Ontario in July.

These posts claimed to be from people who attended a Poilievre event in Kirkland Lake, Ont. They were actually generated by accounts in Russia, France and other places, and many of them have similar messaging.

Charlie Angus, one of the NDP's MPs from the region, suggested the Conservatives were behind the operation and that it had misfired. At least one account said they had to "brave the cold to attend" the rally in Kirkland Lake.

"This was done so badly where these bots were claiming they had to go through the cold in Northern Ontario at a time of a huge heat wave," Angus said. "I think it's made them look ridiculou

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, the Liberals under JT are far left. Their policies dictate that. Compare their policies today to those of Jean Chretien and Paul Martin. Back then the Liberals were actually fiscally conservative. Under JT, they spend money like drunken sailors. 

I do get excited about reporting news. Similar to the tv news stations. Bad news sells better than good news. So nothing like pushing the bad news to get a conversation going. 

What housing crash are you referring to?  The market did tank in 2020. It would have completely crashed if not for the lowering of interest rates. That’s what saved the real estate market. Unfortunately, they lowered the rates too excessively and now prices shot up so dramatically that nobody can afford to buy a home any longer. 

700,000 trucks was what was reported in the news. Again, they tried to sensationalize it for headlines. Remember bad news sells better than good news. 

I think the stock market is due for a major correction. But that’s just my opinion. And I could be wrong. We will see. I told everyone that Biden was done back in February. So some of my predictions do come true. 

There are lots of “weird” things happening in this thread. That’s what happens when you have different opinions. Unfortunately, everyone thinks their opinion is right so that’s why you have conflict. 

I have no problem debating my opinions. However, when certain people have to resort to name calling and race baiting to try and win an argument they know they are losing, that’s where I draw the line. And that’s where the term “cult” comes in. 

Chreitian was hardly fiscally conservative. The IMF threatened Canada's credit rating and that was why Martin was given the authority to reign in Liberal government spending. It was an era when credit ratings meant something. 

The Coutts protestors were charged with conspiracy to kill RCMP at the border. They were held in prison for over 2 1/2 years without trail. What evidence was produced? Eventually the charges were dropped. They joined a list of Convoy protestors who had their charges dropped. One has to wonder whether the law was used to stifle citizen protest? 

Meanwhile a Muslim imam calls for death to Jews from his pulpit on Vancouver Island. Will he be arrested for hate speech or worse, terrorist conspiracy? I doubt it.    

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Chreitian was hardly fiscally conservative. The IMF threatened Canada's credit rating and that was why Martin was given the authority to reign in Liberal government spending. It was an era when credit ratings meant something. 

The Coutts protestors were charged with conspiracy to kill RCMP at the border. They were held in prison for over 2 1/2 years without trail. What evidence was produced? Eventually the charges were dropped. They joined a list of Convoy protestors who had their charges dropped. One has to wonder whether the law was used to stifle citizen protest? 

Meanwhile a Muslim imam calls for death to Jews from his pulpit on Vancouver Island. Will he be arrested for hate speech or worse, terrorist conspiracy? I doubt it.    

Held without trial? Jesus, are you actually sympathetic towards those people?

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

36,098 rounds of ammunition, firearms, and two pipe-bombs?

Two Diagolon patches?

-Anthony Olienick shared predictions that the Government of Canada sought to destroy the middle class, install a communist regime before the start of executions and use of gas chambers.

- Lysak stated that he believed that the COVID-19 vaccinations presented deadly risks to children

Christopher Lysak and Jerry Morin pleaded guilty to lesser charges

I think what we are seeing here is sympathy for some very bad people, because they share a common hate of Trudeau.

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think what we are seeing here is sympathy for some very bad people, because they share a common hate of Trudeau.

I hold out hope that they will realise that they can both hate JT and morons like the Cloutters.

It's real easy to do. 

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I hold out hope that they will realise that they can both hate JT and morons like the Cloutters.

It's real easy to do. 

it its, but this is one of the outcomes of seeing the west as victims for decades. People that really latch on to the whole alienation thing make some strange decisions imo. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don’t know…maybe the difference is some of us aren’t willing to defend the assholes in either case.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

We'll see.  I suppose you will get back to us and post an update if and when he is charged.

B.C. officials condemn imam's calls for violence; RCMP investigating

B.C. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth also weighed in, saying in his own post about the video that "there is no place for antisemitism or hatred of any kind in B.C."

"This is reprehensible," the minister wrote.

"The RCMP have advised they are investigating, as they should for any calls for violence."

In a statement, the local RCMP detachment confirmed the investigation.

"Coquitlam RCMP is aware of a video posted on social media and have heard the concerns from the community," the statement reads.

"We are investigating and are asking for the public's support and patience while we work to establish the facts. We are asking anyone with information to contact the Coquitlam RCMP at 604-945-1550."

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-officials-condemn-imam-s-calls-for-violence-rcmp-investigating-1.6994363

Re: One has to wonder whether the law was used to stifle citizen protest? 

The law was used to stifle armed thugs with unusual amounts of ammo and pipe bombs making threats of murder and mayhem.  I'm ok with that.

Edited by Satchmo
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

36,098 rounds of ammunition, firearms, and two pipe-bombs?

Two Diagolon patches?

-Anthony Olienick shared predictions that the Government of Canada sought to destroy the middle class, install a communist regime before the start of executions and use of gas chambers.

- Lysak stated that he believed that the COVID-19 vaccinations presented deadly risks to children

Christopher Lysak and Jerry Morin pleaded guilty to lesser charges

Port Coquitlam

It's like he's never heard of that thing called a plea deal.  

• ThereItIs 1

Unemployment rate unchanged in July, though jobless rate for young people continued to rise (msn.com)

Unemployment rate unchanged in July, though jobless rate for young people continued to rise

The unemployment rate also rose more for recent immigrants than it did for people who were born in Canada, with immigrant youth particularly impacted. The unemployment rate for the latter group was 22.8 per cent in July, an increase of 8.6 percentage points from a year earlier.

"We don't see a lot of job creation in Canada anymore," said Dominique Lapointe, director of macroeconomic strategy at Manulife.

Some businesses have cited high interest rates as a factor, "but at the same time, monetary policy cannot solve all of this right now," the economist said.

He pointed out that government policy around population growth and how that is integrated into the labour force are also of significance.

"However, the key takeaway is that employment has not grown in the past two months, the jobless rate remains almost a percentage point higher than a year ago, and it has been a really challenging summer job market for students," Porter said.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Unemployment rate unchanged in July, though jobless rate for young people continued to rise (msn.com)

Unemployment rate unchanged in July, though jobless rate for young people continued to rise

The unemployment rate also rose more for recent immigrants than it did for people who were born in Canada, with immigrant youth particularly impacted. The unemployment rate for the latter group was 22.8 per cent in July, an increase of 8.6 percentage points from a year earlier.

"We don't see a lot of job creation in Canada anymore," said Dominique Lapointe, director of macroeconomic strategy at Manulife.

Some businesses have cited high interest rates as a factor, "but at the same time, monetary policy cannot solve all of this right now," the economist said.

He pointed out that government policy around population growth and how that is integrated into the labour force are also of significance.

"However, the key takeaway is that employment has not grown in the past two months, the jobless rate remains almost a percentage point higher than a year ago, and it has been a really challenging summer job market for students," Porter said.

That's what happens when you raise interest rates to cool the economy to combat inflation. 

The TFW program is certainly a contributing issue as well, but that's a problem with both major parties. The Conservatives, if anything, are even more pro-cooperate and just as happy to enable their CEO buddies to benefit from modern, borderline slave labour with crappy wages, shifts and job security, at the cost of fair, competitive wages etc to the like of Canadian students.

Both parties are guilty of enabling those lobbies to do that garbage. IMO if you can't afford to have 4 Tim Hortons in one small town without modern shave labour, you may need to close a couple of them. 

On 8/10/2024 at 10:59 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

As a sign of my age, this line made me remember a stint where I was working to run the backend of a really good charity, I was making sure the staff and volunteers ran things smoothly in the donations bay and warehouse area of the local business outlet for Habitat for Humanity, and often left running the whole building while the manager was off or at another outlet. A young lady was working there paid on staff full time for about a month when I asked her to close the public rest room and clean it. Clean the toilet, sweep and mop out the floor, empty the garbage, and restock the TP and paper towel and soap. Easy ten minute job that everyone takes turns doing each day, on top of a once a week janitor who did the more thorough cleaning of the whole building. 

"I can't even believe you would tell me to do that...like what did i do to you? who even says you can tell me to do that? oh my gawd...i think i need to sit down...I am going on break" She quit about 30 minutes later when the job was still waiting for her after her little pout fest. 

I feel old because that incident makes me read this headline with what I think is the appropriate grain of salt: if i had to choose between a vapid 25 year old who lives at home with her parents still with zero responsibilities and a real adult with life responsibilities to hire: I would 100% of the time hire the person with a mortgage or rent payment due and kids or a partner at home relying on them. I have become the curmudgeon, lol. I suspect most business owners would also rather hire a real adult vs the overaged teenyboppers that society is producing these days. One guy at 29 gave his two weeks notice saying he had saved up 5 thousand and was quitting to go to spain for a month. I asked what he planned to do when he got back, should we maybe keep him in mind if there is an opening down the road: 'nah, i live with my mom and dad, so i really don't need the job, but wanted to save up to go to europe for an experience, and now I can go! thanks anyways" was the answer. 
Parents of people under 30, i think, have done it themselves and to society. It is rare to find a young person ready and willing and able to work, and most of those good ones already have proven to be worthy of a career style job and are not in the market for a new one.

My opinion is open to change on this topic, but yeah, generational differences to the approach to providing for oneself are very evident and likely play into the numbers.