Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

57 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Berta 😂

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/bill-rights-danielle-smith-alberta-inside-1.729112

AB wants to enshrine a "right to bear arms"

In the summer, I reserve the right to bare arms.

I have lots of tattoos too....It's like a gun show and an art show in the same building.

I bring worlds together.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

PPs videos have been using it for years. Seems to appeal to a segment of millennials, not sure why. 

It's sensationalism. In politics, it's a tactic basically to incite a feeling in voters.

And I get that's something that's going to happen to an extent anyway, but each election it seems to feel more and more ridiculous to me.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It's sensationalism. In politics, it's a tactic basically to incite a feeling in voters.

And I get that's something that's going to happen to an extent anyway, but each election it seems to feel more and more ridiculous to me.

its social media and the idea that you "win" something in an argument. Thats more important now than good policy. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Berta 😂

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/bill-rights-danielle-smith-alberta-inside-1.729112

AB wants to enshrine a "right to bear arms"

I absolutely am 100% not surprised at who the "black hat gang" is from their photos.  Their demands are also so incredibly insane.

More gun rights.  Health freedoms.  More "property rights" but also the right for oil and gas companies to drill test sites where they will and where they want if they have an adjoining claim to someone's property.  These guys literally want to be "freemen" like that crazy queen of canada lady but they also want everything that canadian citizenship has to offer from roads to health care and more.  They are literally advocating for US constitutional rights and have taken rights from the state of Montana

The story goes on to say these are not billionaires or legal scholars.  But they are every day Albertans like everyone else.  I'd go so far as to say a bunch of buckle holding hat wearing rural types do NOT reflect the overwhelming majority of Albertans.

NO matter what anyones bias believes, these are not what the average Albertans look like.

image.thumb.png.740a30be8cfd54abff361d5ad447c20c.png

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I absolutely am 100% not surprised at who the "black hat gang" is from their photos.  Their demands are also so incredibly insane.

More gun rights.  Health freedoms.  More "property rights" but also the right for oil and gas companies to drill test sites where they will and where they want if they have an adjoining claim to someone's property.  These guys literally want to be "freemen" like that crazy queen of canada lady but they also want everything that canadian citizenship has to offer from roads to health care and more.  They are literally advocating for US constitutional rights and have taken rights from the state of Montana

The story goes on to say these are not billionaires or legal scholars.  But they are every day Albertans like everyone else.  I'd go so far as to say a bunch of buckle holding hat wearing rural types do NOT reflect the overwhelming majority of Albertans.

NO matter what anyones bias believes, these are not what the average Albertans look like.

image.thumb.png.740a30be8cfd54abff361d5ad447c20c.png

Well, you say that, but the average Albertan con voter will support them and the UCP. Preston Manning also has his hands in this idea, and we know how he's able to swing people with his victimhood hypnosis.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Well, you say that, but the average Albertan con voter will support them and the UCP. Preston Manning also has his hands in this idea, and we know how he's able to swing people with his victimhood hypnosis.

Queue the consitutional lawyers for the crown coming in to tell them, these are not your jurisdiction feel free to leave.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Queue the consitutional lawyers for the crown coming in to tell them, these are not your jurisdiction feel free to leave.

but they want that type of constitutional fight. They'd love 10 years of that. 

'They crossed the line': Crown in closing arguments for 'Freedom Convoy' organizers

OTTAWA — Two prominent "Freedom Convoy" organizers "crossed the line" into criminal activity when they led a massive demonstration to Ottawa in 2022 and refused to leave, the Crown said in its final submissions on their criminal trial Tuesday.

They want to be known as the black hat gang?

Black hats are worn by those who are 'acting for morally bad reasons', or when going to a funeral.

Meh, maybe it's the right choice of chapeau for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Black hats are worn by those who are 'acting for morally bad reasons', or when going to a funeral.

I'm guessing they think it makes them look badass.....

In reality, it just makes them look like dorks...especially the biker looking dude, who couldn't even be bothered to buy a stetson and threw on a ball cap instead....and don't get me started on the two guys who aren't even wearing hats....

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm guessing they think it makes them look badass.....

In reality, it just makes them look like dorks...especially the biker looking dude, who couldn't even be bothered to buy a stetson and threw on a ball cap instead....and don't get me started on the two guys who aren't even wearing hats....

The bald dude looks to be hungry for brains.

Must be starving hanging around with that crew.

• ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

All hat no cattle

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I am really going to be watching this new party closely.  A true centrist party willing to move towards small l and small c policies without the extreme bs on either side is incredibly appealing.

The term politically homeless is so incredibly apt.  For so many of the silent majority.

Canada's newest federal political party officially launched in Ottawa on Wednesday.

The Canadian Future Party is billing itself as a centrist option for voters unhappy with both the Liberals and Conservatives.

"For too long, Canadians have been asked to play a political shell game," interim leader Dominic Cardy told a press conference in Ottawa.

"Under the shell on the left, the social programs you need. But along with it, too often you have to buy bloated government, ever-increasing spending, divorced from delivering results.

"Under the shell on the right, we're supposed to find fiscal discipline. But along with it, too often there's a mean-spirited approach that blames the most vulnerable for their plight, selfishness masquerading as liberty that happily misdirects government resources to the wealthy, and polices our bodies and our bedrooms."

Interim party president Tara McPhail, a former activist with the Conservative Party, joined Cardy at Wednesday's launch. She said the new party is a place for Canadians like her who are "politically homeless."

Cardy, a former cabinet minister in New Brunswick's Progressive Conservative government and the former leader of the province's New Democratic Party, said the new party is oriented neither to the left nor the right, "but forward."

"We've got folks around our leadership table who have backgrounds in all of the major political parties at different levels, including former MPs," he said.

Asked whether the party has any support from current members of Parliament, Cardy said he's had discussions with a number of them.

"I would guess that a lot of them would be looking to see how we do in the next little while, and I hope we can attract some of them," he said. "Because there are some great MPs, from all parties.

"And wouldn't it be nice if we could actually start saying that again? That they're not terrible. They're not awful human beings. That there are some fantastic people involved in politics."

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Where is the part when GSP said he needed to get vaxxed to to continue his career?

He retired in 2013, came back for one fight vs Bisping in 2017. Re-retired 'officially' in 2019.

Please respond if you know. Seems like, unnecessarily, the tweeter wanted to add something for dramatics...?

Also, UFC didnt require vax, in fact they are one of the only sports orgs to NOT stop during covid

....have you ever listened to Dana White?

I kinda got a few points here, huh?

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1