Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

59 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Too many hits to the head. Sad.

Not so much. He talked about how most of his career he hardly got hit. Then he ran into a juiced up 'big rig' called Johnny Hendricks. I still think why Serra was able to upset him is that he caught the great GSP with one haymaker. 

GSP is the classic bullied kid. He proved that martial arts can help some people. 

He is actually scared of fighting, doesnt like it, he suffers from a lot of anxiety.

17 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

“In Canada there was a curfew…” - GSP

Wrong George. In QUEBEC there was a curfew so if The Pleb Reporter has an issue maybe take it up with Premier François Legault. This is what gets us called Trudeau fanboys when we point it out after the Peteys and Bolts of this world keep reposting this bullshit. It’s lazy and it’s dishonest.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-second-curfew-covid-1.6303083

I'm not so bothered by GSP not knowing what he is talking about as much as the lie the tweet made about his career...

Unless GSP was working on another career, after he had retired...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm not so bothered by GSP not knowing what he is talking about as much as the lie the tweet made about his career...

Unless GSP was working on another career, after he had retired...

Maybe the author of the xit is implying GSP started a new career in cross-border trucking...?  :classic_ninja:

• Haha 2

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe the author of the xit is implying GSP started a new career in cross-border trucking...?  :classic_ninja:

He and Bas Rutten are announcers for Karate Combat now. Which is really cool as they are great karate ambassadors. Two of the best ever supporting a classic art.

That said, maybe the tweeter is talking about some of the movies gsp has been in?

Either way, it's misleading as i think everyone that reads that would think it was talking about his fighting career. which it cant be.

EP, will be around soon to clear it all up as he always does...🙃

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Not so much. He talked about how most of his career he hardly got hit. Then he ran into a juiced up 'big rig' called Johnny Hendricks. I still think why Serra was able to upset him is that he caught the great GSP with one haymaker. 

GSP is the classic bullied kid. He proved that martial arts can help some people. 

He is actually scared of fighting, doesnt like it, he suffers from a lot of anxiety.

I have zero sympathy for anti vaxxers. None. They burned it all away with their selfish bullshit.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I have zero sympathy for anti vaxxers. None. They burned it all away with their selfish bullshit.

I hear ya.

Yeah, its a shame that he is so close minded.

He's a role model, so its extra unfortunate

These retrospective 20/20 opinions, like his, are annoying.

'We' were learning about covid as it went on. All of us, including our gov.

If the virus had be a bit more deadly, or that we defended from a full on apocalypse, we would all be so happy with 'our' collective effort. Obviously.

• Like 1

Crown makes case for conspiracy in trial for 'Freedom Convoy' organizers

OTTAWA — Two prominent "Freedom Convoy" organizers were strategizing as part of a team to gridlock downtown Ottawa from the beginning of the protest, the Crown said Wednesday as lawyers laid out final arguments in the criminal trial.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

“In Canada there was a curfew…” - GSP

Wrong George. In QUEBEC there was a curfew so if The Pleb Reporter has an issue maybe take it up with Premier François Legault. This is what gets us called Trudeau fanboys when we point it out after the Peteys and Bolts of this world keep reposting this bullshit. It’s lazy and it’s dishonest.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-second-curfew-covid-1.6303083

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Where is the part when GSP said he needed to get vaxxed to to continue his career?

He retired in 2013, came back for one fight vs Bisping in 2017. Re-retired 'officially' in 2019.

Please respond if you know. Seems like, unnecessarily, the tweeter wanted to add something for dramatics...?

Also, UFC didnt require vax, in fact they are one of the only sports orgs to NOT stop during covid

....have you ever listened to Dana White?

I kinda got a few points here, huh?

Gd your facts !!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

All quiet on the federal front? It appears the incidence of 'red neckism' is escalating as the CPC polls ahead of the Bloc. 

Depends on who you ask...

According to the National Post, Trudeau is still hard at work destroying the country....

• Vintage 1

All quiet on the federal front? It appears the incidence of 'red neckism' is escalating as the CPC polls ahead of the Bloc. 

other than that 600 million dollar tire plant announcement? Plus a crap ton of other stuff if anyone cares to look: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/policy-public-interest-latest-news/canadian-federal-government-list/

Also, Parliament is on summer break until September.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/house-rises-for-the-summer-gov-t-vows-to-return-ruthlessly-focused-on-improving-canadians-lives-1.6933198

On 8/14/2024 at 10:05 AM, Warhippy said:

I am really going to be watching this new party closely.  A true centrist party willing to move towards small l and small c policies without the extreme bs on either side is incredibly appealing.

The term politically homeless is so incredibly apt.  For so many of the silent majority.

Canada's newest federal political party officially launched in Ottawa on Wednesday.

The Canadian Future Party is billing itself as a centrist option for voters unhappy with both the Liberals and Conservatives.

"For too long, Canadians have been asked to play a political shell game," interim leader Dominic Cardy told a press conference in Ottawa.

"Under the shell on the left, the social programs you need. But along with it, too often you have to buy bloated government, ever-increasing spending, divorced from delivering results.

"Under the shell on the right, we're supposed to find fiscal discipline. But along with it, too often there's a mean-spirited approach that blames the most vulnerable for their plight, selfishness masquerading as liberty that happily misdirects government resources to the wealthy, and polices our bodies and our bedrooms."

Interim party president Tara McPhail, a former activist with the Conservative Party, joined Cardy at Wednesday's launch. She said the new party is a place for Canadians like her who are "politically homeless."

Cardy, a former cabinet minister in New Brunswick's Progressive Conservative government and the former leader of the province's New Democratic Party, said the new party is oriented neither to the left nor the right, "but forward."

"We've got folks around our leadership table who have backgrounds in all of the major political parties at different levels, including former MPs," he said.

Asked whether the party has any support from current members of Parliament, Cardy said he's had discussions with a number of them.

"I would guess that a lot of them would be looking to see how we do in the next little while, and I hope we can attract some of them," he said. "Because there are some great MPs, from all parties.

"And wouldn't it be nice if we could actually start saying that again? That they're not terrible. They're not awful human beings. That there are some fantastic people involved in politics."

It'll be interesting to see what comes of it, the liberals are more center than the cons or the NDP, but another centrist option would be good. I've said that I'd welcome a progressive conservative party, but a progressive party that aspires to be more centrist would work too, if they can make it viable it'd probably draw the support of folks who lean more center right than the cons.

I lean more left than liberal but I'd welcome anything closer to the Canadian political center than whatever it is the cons are nowadays.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It'll be interesting to see what comes of it, the liberals are more center than the cons or the NDP, but another centrist option would be good. I've said that I'd welcome a progressive conservative party, but a progressive party that aspires to be more centrist would work too, if they can make it viable it'd probably draw the support of folks who lean more center right than the cons.

I lean more left than liberal but I'd welcome anything closer to the Canadian political center than whatever it is the cons are nowadays.

I've been on the mailing list for this group for a couple of years since they were calling themselves 'centre ice'. They do have a lot of really sound policy ideas.

There's some concern that they are just a group there to drain votes from the liberals, but I think there are just as many red Tories ready for a PC type option again.

I was hoping that the PPC would gain a little more traction and push the cons closer to the center.

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Depends on who you ask...

According to the National Post, Trudeau is still hard at work destroying the country....

At this point its pretty effortless for him, it more just checking to see what lavish vacation he is taking each week on the tax payers time.

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

At this point its pretty effortless for him, it more just checking to see what lavish vacation he is taking each week on the tax payers time.

Oh, for sure....

Of course, that could just be construed as him showing how efficient he is....:classic_unsure:

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I know you like to slag the guy but just because he - like a lot of people - happens to be on vacation at the moment this is a bit weak.

How many cons are in Ottawa this month? 

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I've been on the mailing list for this group for a couple of years since they were calling themselves 'centre ice'. They do have a lot of really sound policy ideas.

There's some concern that they are just a group there to drain votes from the liberals, but I think there are just as many red Tories ready for a PC type option again.

I get the concern about draining votes from the Libs, but if they can grow themselves into a legitimate centrist option than they'd also drain votes from the Cons as you've said. 

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say most Canadians are open to progressive social policy, but there are also those who lean right on matters that aren't social, it'd be nice if Con voters with more centrist views who will vote for the current Cons have a less unhinged right wing option to vote for. I'd welcome red tories having a centrist option over the cesspit that the Cons have morphed into. 

I think another centrist options would also push the Libs to up their game so to speak, which would be a boon. 

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I was hoping that the PPC would gain a little more traction and push the cons closer to the center.

Fair, I was hoping they'd gain enough traction to cannibalize the more extreme Con voters, so pretty much the same thing.

Edited by Coconuts

I get the concern about draining votes from the Libs, but if they can grow themselves into a legitimate centrist option than they'd also drain votes from the Cons as you've said. 

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say most Canadians are open to progressive social policy, but there are also those who lean right on matters that aren't social, it'd be nice if Con voters with more centrist views who will vote for the current Cons have a less unhinged right wing option to vote for. I'd welcome red tories having a centrist option over the cesspit that the Cons have morphed into. 

I think another centrist options would also push the Libs to up their game so to speak, which would be a boon. 

Fair, I was hoping they'd gain enough traction to cannibalize the more extreme Con voters, so pretty much the same thing.

I think the concern was they'd drain a few percentage point from the Libs and help hand Skippy a massive win.

But I do think many of us want a socially liberal yet financially stable government. Hell it doesn't even need to be "right wing" just get some actual control of the spending, in terms of value and ballooning debt. I'm fine with debt if it makes sense, but it can't just be money out with a lagging economy. 

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think the concern was they'd drain a few percentage point from the Libs and help hand Skippy a massive win.

But I do think many of us want a socially liberal yet financially stable government. Hell it doesn't even need to be "right wing" just get some actual control of the spending, in terms of value and ballooning debt. I'm fine with debt if it makes sense, but it can't just be money out with a lagging economy. 

And that's fair, guess we'll see. 

And yeah, the economics can't be ignored. I'm all for hefty funding to social programs and Canada's social safety net but I also recognize that the money has to come from somewhere. I'm all for higher taxes and fewer tax breaks for corporate entities, and for higher income earners paying their higher proportionate share. Yeah, nobody likes to pay taxes but taxes are what fund such social aspects like healthcare and the incoming dental provisions. I don't think it's unreasonable for folks to want their taxes spent intelligently, but what the means is subjective. 

Ultimately I do think we should be our brother's keeper so to speak, Canadian society should be judged in part by how it cares for it's most vulnerable and impoverished, more often than not these people aren't the "haves", they're the "have nots". I'm going to be fascinated to see how the discourse on this shifts as Canada's population continues to age. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

And that's fair, guess we'll see. 

And yeah, the economics can't be ignored. I'm all for hefty funding to social programs and Canada's social safety net but I also recognize that the money has to come from somewhere. I'm all for higher taxes and fewer tax breaks for corporate entities, and for higher income earners paying their higher proportionate share. Yeah, nobody likes to pay taxes but taxes are what fund such social aspects like healthcare and the incoming dental provisions. I don't think it's unreasonable for folks to want their taxes spent intelligently, but what the means is subjective. 

Ultimately I do think we should be our brother's keeper so to speak, Canadian society should be judged in part by how it cares for it's most vulnerable and impoverished, more often than not these people aren't the "haves", they're the "have nots". I'm going to be fascinated to see how the discourse on this shifts as Canada's population continues to age. 

we're in good alignment on all that. 

One of the disappointments for me with the Trudeau years is there was so much promise of fostering new industry, but it has just been more of the same model we've had for such a long time. Take defence, e.g.. We could have easily invested so much more in our own military manufacturing, but it's just so much easier to buy from the US. Same pattern in most health products. 

Some of the discussions I was reading and adding to with the centre ice stuff was around this topic and I was happy to see it included in their initial platform ideas, they at least seem to get it from that pov.

I will stick with the Libs probably for one more election cycle particularly if Carney takes over, but tbh I'm ready to switch to try something new when they field a local candidate in my riding. 

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

checking to see what lavish vacation he is taking each week on the tax payers time.

Umm..

Where is Pierre again?

How is he travelling?

Campaigning?

Who is paying for that?

Who pays for his nanny?  His bills?  

A little impartiality please

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

A former Progressive Conservative who calls Pierre Poilievre ‘terrifying’ is launching a new political party

A new political party will appear on the ballot in two upcoming by-elections as the Canadian Future Party seeks to introduce itself officially as a centrist option for voters it argues are growing weary of an increasingly polarized environment.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/a-former-progressive-conservative-who-calls-pierre-poilievre-terrifying-is-launching-a-new-political-party/article_4d9956a0-5987-11ef-9f45-232cb62f5150.html

• Cheers 2