Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

23 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The supply of gasoline and diesel is reliant on refineries.  BC has TWO.  One in PG (12 Mb/d) and one in Burnaby (55 Mb/d).  Only the Burnaby one gets its oil from the Trans Mountain Pipeline so it would be the only one that could be affected by the expansion.  Neither has been greatly expanded so there really isn't an increase in supply.

https://www.cer-rec.gc.ca/en/data-analysis/energy-markets/provincial-territorial-energy-profiles/provincial-territorial-energy-profiles-british-columbia.html?=undefined&wbdisable=true

We all know that the expansion of the pipeline was for export.  Export of raw oil does not increase domestic supply of gasoline and diesel.  That means the only way our prices decrease somewhat maybe is based on oil prices.  Which may, or may not be impacted by increased global supply.  Thing is, there are places that produce enough that if they simply slow down their production a little, global prices are impacted.  

Really, its the oil corps who benefit from the expansion.  It means they have more oil to sell with no shortage of people willing to buy.  

Your numbers should read 12,000 barrels per day and 55,000 barrels per day. Refined product is barged up from Washington and in the old days the Chinese shipped refined product into Washington state. BC is not a stand alone market place. Indirectly it competes with Western Canada and the American Northwest. 

Pricing at the pumps has many factors that affect pricing. It is not as simple as a FOB price the refinery gate + freight. Western Canada is dominated by diesel consumption because of the resource base. That means overproduction of gasoline. Refineries have to operate as close as 100% to lower cost and maximize profit. To deal with gasoline oversupply excess gas was exported into the USA. Even the old Trans Mountain line sent refined gas into Washington State. In Alberta it is sent thru Coutts down to Montana. Oil companies guesstimate where their production will go. So much to industry and so much to consumers. They bid on business accordingly. They establish their base business and then sell overages where they can. That can be to discounters or out of the country. 

Do they gouge markets? It might be viewed that way by those who are paying at the pumps. My experience was a desire for stable markets which often hurt the areas at the distribution borders. The higher cost service areas where margins were thinner or where their distribution systems were already maxed out. We haven't talked about what carbon taxes are doing to pricing. 

I always said that government was serious about price at the pumps when they legislated the refiners out of retail. It would be a simple process to legislate rack pricing and allow retailers to pay for their own freight. Retailers might have to contract delivery volumes but the Americans do that all the time. But that hasn't happened. Not under Socred, Liberal or NDP governments. It would not be the total answer but it would be a start. The NDP have been in power for how long? Not a whisper of such action. Why? 

9 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:
From Bloomberg:
"With Trudeau at the helm, Canada became an international trade powerhouse, boosting exports by 45% since 2015 (...) imports increased 3.6% annually, meaning Canada sold goods and services faster than it bought. That's a reversal from the prior 15 years."

May be an image of text

No, we are broken and divided. Stop bringing reality into this thread, man.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:
From Bloomberg:
"With Trudeau at the helm, Canada became an international trade powerhouse, boosting exports by 45% since 2015 (...) imports increased 3.6% annually, meaning Canada sold goods and services faster than it bought. That's a reversal from the prior 15 years."

May be an image of text

I'm wondering if a lot of that is due to the free trade agreements with 10 S.E. Asian countries and also with the European Union. Neither free trade agreements include the US; or China in the SE Asian agreement

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Maybe he's just happy?

Naw. That's the standard reaction from that side of the table.  You see it all the time on American news networks when they correct some magat guest's lies live on air. No contrite guilty face.  The go to response is to creepily smile like there's no tomorrow. I can only surmise that its to signal to any of their side of the aisle watching to immediately stop listening to what the other speaker is saying and to regard it as hilariously ridiculous. No matter how factual. Also to help convince themselves and divert from the reality that they're crazy cult worshippers who have been reminded once again that they are basing their whole political career on a house full of holes that's built on sand.

Never understood how it works but it does I guess to reassure the more cognitively challenged out there to keep drinking the koolaid. And that any uncomfortable truth they think thely may have heard is to be laughed off and ignored. Just fill it back up with sand.  Good to go!

The question is...will I get gifted one for this post?  Can they resist?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Naw. That's the standard reaction from that side of the table.  You see it all the time on American news networks when they correct some magat guest's lies live on air. No contrite guilty face.  The go to response is to creepily smile like there's no tomorrow. I can only surmise that its to signal to any of their side of the aisle watching to immediately stop listening to what the other speaker is saying and to regard it as hilariously ridiculous. No matter how factual. Also to help convince themselves and divert from the reality that they're crazy cult worshippers who have been reminded once again that they are basing their whole political career on a house full of holes that's built on sand.

Never understood how it works but it does I guess to reassure the more cognitively challenged out there to keep drinking the koolaid. And that any uncomfortable truth they think thely may have heard is to be laughed off and ignored. Just fill it back up with sand.  Good to go!

If Mastermind was around, your post would be guaranteed to receive a "confused" emoji.....

....as would this response....

• ThereItIs 1

37 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Typically bouds is happy with good economic news. Dunno.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Typically bouds is happy with good economic news. Dunno.

My thoughts to why Bouds and Pav are laughing...they dont beleive it or they think the LIbs have done so much other things bad that this dosent matter.

Is Bloomberg know for being a fake news or are they reputable?  I dont know what is trusted these days...

Cause, i like good news and this seems like its awesome....getting our exports kicking ass!

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My thoughts to why Bouds and Pav are laughing...they dont beleive it or they think the LIbs have done so much other things bad that this dosent matter.

Is Bloomberg know for being a fake news or are they reputable?  I dont know what is trusted these days...

Cause, i like good news and this seems like its awesome....getting our exports kicking ass!

I personally don't like Trudeau, but it's really sad when people dislike someone so much that even seeing something positive about the guy they think it's some kind of joke.

Reality is, every politician people hate is still going to have some positive points about them, even Trudeau, even PP, even Trump if you look hard enough. You can still agree someone has done something positive somewhere while also hating the person.

And it's sad to see people who would otherwise seem like logical human beings unable to see beyond their hatred. It just shows weakness on their part.

And again, I don't like Trudeau either, but he hasn't done every little thing poorly.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I personally don't like Trudeau, but it's really sad when people dislike someone so much that even seeing something positive about the guy they think it's some kind of joke.

Reality is, every politician people hate is still going to have some positive points about them, even Trudeau, even PP, even Trump if you look hard enough. You can still agree someone has done something positive somewhere while also hating the person.

And it's sad to see people who would otherwise seem like logical human beings unable to see beyond their hatred. It just shows weakness on their part.

It sucks because outside of all this ramped up political shit slinging, some of us want to know how we are actually doing as a country.

Politicians will come and go, the country will continue on. We need to make sure we can properly assess where we are as a nation, despite loving or hating the party in power. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

It sucks because outside of all this ramped up political shit slinging, some of us want to know how we are actually doing as a country.

Politicians will come and go, the country will continue on. We need to make sure we can properly assess where we are as a nation, despite loving or hating the party in power. 

I agree. In a way, I don't really care what most people think about Trudeau. He's unlikely to be elected again so can we at least see where we are at as a society without all of adults throwing sand at other people in the sandbox?

It's why you hardly see me in this thread anymore. Why do I want to keep reading the same crap over and over and over from both sides?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

this is a neat site that has some visual data on our export history: https://oec.world/en/profile/country/can?yearSelector1=2022

its funny, oil and gas has done really well under Trudeau. Go figure. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

this is a neat site that has some visual data on our export history: https://oec.world/en/profile/country/can?yearSelector1=2022

its funny, oil and gas has done really well under Trudeau. Go figure. 

Trans Mountain up and running.   Did the thing that CONs have been bitching about for years.  

• ThereItIs 1

On 8/16/2024 at 12:03 PM, Warhippy said:

Now that we have confirmation from the moderators and site host that the individual in question was in fact a generated AI chatbot out of china. 

We can expect, a large upswell of new memberships that will make an absolute beeline directly for the off topic forums. 

If this does not reinforce the belief that there are digital farms in specific areas of the world trying to sway Democratic elections in the United States of america, canada, and the United kingdom; I don't know what evidence will convince people that this is really happening. 

The craziest thing is; they only argue in support of one side. Ask yourselves, why would they have a vested interest in ensuring one side wins as opposed to another?

Related, here's a fun video about our current, fun internet landscape: 

• Thanks 1

More news that the anti-Trudeau faction won't like.....even though they should.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/inflation-falls-to-lowest-in-three-years-paving-way-for-another-interest-rate-cut/ar-AA1p7lsb?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=8076fe16881149a09faabc9a8315015d&ei=11

Canada’s annual inflation rate fell to 2.5 per cent last month, matching economists' forecasts and solidifying expectations for another interest rate cut in September.

Tuesday’s consumer price index report says prices for travel tours, passenger vehicles and electricity helped drive the headline figure lower.

Meanwhile, shelter costs are still the main driver of inflation as Canadians face significantly higher rents and mortgage payments.

The federal agency noted, however, that shelter price growth slowed last month to 5.7 per cent year-over-year, down from 6.2 per cent in June.

July marked the slowest annual increase in the consumer price index since March 2021, highlighting the significant progress made in the fight against high inflation.

"There’s more to go in terms of reaching price stability as Canadians feel the pinch and pull back on spending," wrote Andrew DiCapua, senior economist at the Canadian Chamber of Commerce.

"But we think the Bank of Canada will continue their path of interest rate cuts and move again in September, prioritizing economic growth as inflation moderates."

Improvement in global supply chains and the effect of high interest rates have helped cool price growth across the economy.

Yes, there is some mitigating news in there as well, (which I'm sure people will seize on) but overall, we seem to be trending in the right direction.

Also couldn't help but notice the mentions of "shelter costs" and "global supply chains" as the main causes of inflation. They don't mention "printing money" at all....:classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

More news that the anti-Trudeau faction won't like.....even though they should.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/inflation-falls-to-lowest-in-three-years-paving-way-for-another-interest-rate-cut/ar-AA1p7lsb?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=8076fe16881149a09faabc9a8315015d&ei=11

Yes, there is some mitigating news in there as well, (which I'm sure people will seize on) but overall, we seem to be trending in the right direction.

Also couldn't help but notice the mentions of "shelter costs" and "global supply chains" as the main causes of inflation. They don't mention "printing money" at all....:classic_unsure:

Something about 100 years of McDonald's or something.

• Cheers 1