Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

More news that the anti-Trudeau faction won't like.....even though they should.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/inflation-falls-to-lowest-in-three-years-paving-way-for-another-interest-rate-cut/ar-AA1p7lsb?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=8076fe16881149a09faabc9a8315015d&ei=11

Yes, there is some mitigating news in there as well, (which I'm sure people will seize on) but overall, we seem to be trending in the right direction.

Also couldn't help but notice the mentions of "shelter costs" and "global supply chains" as the main causes of inflation. They don't mention "printing money" at all....:classic_unsure:

Well, shit... now on what basis will they be left with to demand to copulate with Trudeau? :hurhur:

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Well, shit... now on what basis will they be left with to demand to copulate with Trudeau? :hurhur:

Gas prices.!

no, wait. 

Maybe something else...

• ThereItIs 1

47 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I keep reading about am impending rail strike....that'll be Justin's fault....

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I keep reading about am impending rail strike....that'll be Justin's fault....

Reporting, that I've seen, is not very focused.

Seems the employers have issued lock out notice, but people keep talking about a strike.

Possibly both are about to occur, but I would like the media to clarify, just what is actually happening.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Reporting, that I've seen, is not very focused.

Seems the employers have issued lock out notice, but people keep talking about a strike.

Possibly both are about to occur, but I would like the media to clarify, just what is actually happening.

It's both.  I think.

CPKC is about to get struck on.  CN Rail is about to lock out its crews.  And it's about to be one big fustercluck if one or both come to fruition.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

More news that the anti-Trudeau faction won't like.....even though they should.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/inflation-falls-to-lowest-in-three-years-paving-way-for-another-interest-rate-cut/ar-AA1p7lsb?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=8076fe16881149a09faabc9a8315015d&ei=11

Yes, there is some mitigating news in there as well, (which I'm sure people will seize on) but overall, we seem to be trending in the right direction.

Also couldn't help but notice the mentions of "shelter costs" and "global supply chains" as the main causes of inflation. They don't mention "printing money" at all....:classic_unsure:

Claiming shelter costs.

Shelter costs are entirely a private enterprise issue.

Toronto's condo market is down 72% when weighed against a 10 year average, and rental rates have dipped for the 5th straight month.  Over the last year, over 200 major developments have either stalled, been cancelled or gone insolvent because of a massive lack of presale.  That is over 50% more insolvency in one yer than at any point over the last decade.

In the middle of a housing crisis when the volume of high volume residential units owned by corporations is at the highest point it has ever been (for reference; 154 total apartment units in Penticton deigned as being 10 units or more over 120 of them are owned by 3 corporations) the fact that these are not being built due to a lack of presale shows that many of these companies or developers are not; like many new "investment home owners" able to afforrd these projects without charging inflated prices to fund them.

https://www.thestar.com/business/torontos-new-condo-sales-plunge-57-hit-27-year-low-in-catastrophic-drop/article_567f307c-4515-11ef-ab39-6758c83c9251.html#:~:text=Toronto's new condo sales plunge,average%2C according to a report.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-real-estate-insolvencies-in-canada-set-to-surpass-levels-of-global/

https://globalnews.ca/news/10643517/toronto-condo-investors-losing-money/

With Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary/Montreal essentially dictating or skewing the housing prices/ price data across the nation this is actually a potential storm and a half ready to happen.

If the federal government and feds are smart they will enact protective legislation asap regarding the ability for people or corporations to start mass buying or continuing the run on purchasing of homes in Canada.  Because when a few small companies (see penticton) can own that many units for rentals in a city, they can effectively dictate the price of housing across the entire region

Edited by Warhippy

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Really you're going to celebrate inflation rate at a three year low down from 8%, even though the key interest rate is currently at 4.50. Should we put Trudeau on our shoulders and parade him down the street? 😑

Edited by Bure_Pavel

53 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

As Rup said in the op: More news that the anti-Trudeau faction won't like.....even though they should.....

It seems some people will just find something else to complain about as opposed to being pleased to hear inflation is down.

I wouldn't consider the Prime rate to be around the historical average to be cause for complaint, but I also have no desire to copulate with Trudeau.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why doesn't the Bank of Canada hold any gold, like every other G8 country?

Gold is rare in universe.

So, aliens hunt for it.

Canada is being smart here. We'll be hit last when they invade.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Gold is rare in universe.

So, aliens hunt for it.

Canada is being smart here. We'll be hit last when they invade.

Can you eat or burn gold? Maybe Petey has a rare diet.

It's a sound position for a commodity based export country to take. A bushel of wheat or barrel of oil is useful when shit hits the fan.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Can you eat or burn gold? Maybe Petey has a rare diet.

It's a sound position for a commodity based export country to take. A bushel of wheat or barrel of oil is useful when shit hits the fan.

And what do aliens eat?

Gotta think of that too.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think my nephew made that website!!  Reads like a 10 year old wrote it!!   🤣

Gold is a hedge against inflation. Every other G8 country knows this. Canada sucks balls really. 

Yes I know dear, you know better than the bank of Canada. We established that yesterday.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think my nephew made that website!!  Reads like a 10 year old wrote it!!   🤣

Gold is a hedge against inflation. Every other G8 country knows this. Canada sucks balls really. 

Told everyone the answer was going to be bad!

No other hedges exist?  If we need this particular hedge so much why aren't we the worst as far as inflation goes in the G8?

Just now, Satchmo said:

Told everyone the answer was going to be bad!

No other hedges exist?  If we need this particular hedge so much why aren't we the worst as far as inflation goes in the G8?

Ummm, the stock market hasn’t crashed. Yet. Call me when it does. Then we’ll have this conversation again.  😉

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm, the stock market hasn’t crashed. Yet. Call me when it does. Then we’ll have this conversation again.  😉

I take it as a relief to know you will never again speak of inflation until the stock market crashes.

• Like 1