Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PP literally lives in certain people's heads 24/7.  Same with Trump.  Trump is everywhere on this site.  Even in the God thread!!  I'm literally dreaming about Trump!!!   🤣

I was playing a video game last night and clicked on a 'toy box' item to get a virtual card.. this particular one was rare and says in the text "Signed By Trump..." LOL

Autographed Hearthstone Card
Item Level 1
Toy
Use: Turn the card over to see what you got! (10 Sec Cooldown)
"Signed by Trump and Reckful.  Not too shabby."
Sell Price: 25

• Haha 1

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

I was playing a video game last night and clicked on a 'toy box' item to get a virtual card.. this particular one was rare and says in the text "Signed By Trump..." LOL

Congratulations but that card is not likely to be as rare and as valuable as you have been told it is.

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Congratulations but that card is not likely to be as rare and as valuable as you have been told it is.

Oh obviously, it was just weird to see it in a video game. Rekful is a well known gamer, but why Trump?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

There are a lot of venders in booze. The big guys dominate but its easier than food. You need is to get 'listed' with the BCLDB which is a bit of process but if you can, then there are options for distribution.  The private/gov model changes depending on the province. But, in fact, there are safe guards against some of the stuff the gorcery stores do. I for example, could not be a 'Molson house' as a liquor store... i have to provide the customer with a reasonable amount of options in that category ( domestic beer in this case).

Side rant for a second here...

One thing I think of that is a big threat to the small producers and private shops is Jimmy Pattison's wine/beer on the grocery store shelves. I could write pages on this to explain why but instead think about this...

Remember when those F'in BC Libs asked us all if we wanted wine/beer on the grocery store shelves? everyone said 'Yes!' just like Europe etc, etc..

However, the Yap report was a survey of 500 people with no industry insight. Crusty met with Jimmy in closed door meetings with some other big grocery types.

They strategically started moving the goal posts, once they got the public onside, to what a 'grocery store' was...they put in things like 'must be 10,000 sq ft...'

I'll cut to the chase, the large majority ( 90%+ I believe) of the new licenses were bought up by, guess who? Jimmy P. for his big stores. BTW, every one of his Save-Ons/QF have a liquor store within a 100 meters. 

Remember the people thought it was gonna be 'like Europe'...you could buy a beer maybe at the corner store...they lied to everyone. Where is this increased convenience?

Does it really seem any different except now? Jim gets a bit more money. In fact, when it went through it went against NAFTA at the time as they were promising BC only wines/beer. There was immediate trade challenges from other countries. 

Heres an old article expanding a bit.. https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/03/24/BC-New-Liquor-Landscape/

To add, they went into this after BC banks had loaned over  Billion to the private liquor store sector in 15 years prior. Only for the gov to change the landscape...

whew,

Now to try to answer your question  a bit.

I talked to a guy a bunch that owned Independent Gocery stores.

He would tell tales of the big venders doing all sorts of off-side stuff. They absolutely pressure, collude, gouge and the rest of it.

I always wonder why I have so few options for Ketchup...is it that hard to make a tomato based condiment?

My conspiracy thoery tells me that buyers are pressured to not carry many options for such a popular style of product

My real work experinece knows I was offered alot from competitors to remove certain products out of my liquor stores ( a no, no but they hide it in marketing spends) So, I'm sure it happens more in the massive world of food.

Thanks that all makes sense. I am not sure what the next step should be with the Loblaws of the world and how government handles it, maybe a tax freedom for the little shops ? 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

When did I ever mention him or the cons.

It's honestly incredible how you can't even have any discussions in this thread without him or cons inevitably being brought up in some grade school fashion of "oh yeah my dad may smell, but so does yours!"

The Liberals are still in power for at least another year. Let's stay focused here.

Well it kind of matters given current polling and people (yourself included AFAIK) endorsing the Cons as some sort of "remedy" to the Libs/Justin. What they'll do, particularly if given the current forecasted majority, matters very much.

Besides, the real problem is that both parties are Neo Liberals and have been taking turns eroding a once healthy middle class, for 40+ years. The Liberals are "little" neo liberals, and at least throw some crumbs to us pleebs, the Cons however are full capital NEO LIBERALS. Tax cuts to the wealthy/corporations, slashed funding for our most marginalized, military, Coast Guard etc, privatizing and selling off Canadian assets (NEP, Wheat board, privatized liquor, health care) to pay for those cuts. They're also anti-labour/union. That should totally help with the growing wage gap.

It just creates even faster erosion of the middle class. If those are indeed people's biggest concerns (they should be), parking votes at either party, but especially the Cons, is clearly not the answer. How much more evidence do we actually need than the last 40+ years? Why do people keep voting for slower or faster erosion of the middle class?

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think the problem comes more down to the fact that we are in a capitalist society which involves even basic necessities such as food. Therefore, even the grocery stores are all about making money first and foremost. No corporation about making money is going to put people's well-being first.

And no, I'm not saying we need a different style of government. I'm saying this more to show there is a divide between how people are going to perceive things. Some people are going to want to blame things on the grocery chains while other people are going to want to blame it on a lack of government regulations. Personally, I think it's both. We need more government regulations to encourage (or even force) more competition. In turn, that extra competition would help prevent prices from going up too much.

The real problem (maybe less so with groceries) is people's purchasing habits. But absolutely, regulation and competition would help bridge the problem. Still going to sound to "commie" for a good chunk of folks though.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The real problem (maybe less so with groceries) is people's purchasing habits. But absolutely, regulation and competition would help bridge the problem. Still going to sound to "commie" for a good chunk of folks though.

The ironic thing was, when I wrote that very part of my post,  I was thinking back to that time when you thought I was being a commie apologist when I wasn't. 🤣

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The ironic thing was, when I wrote that very part of my post,  I was thinking back to that time when you thought I was being a commie apologist when I wasn't. 🤣

I don't even remember it 🤣

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I don't even remember it 🤣

I think it was in the Jordan Petersen thread on CDC.

It's more like something to laugh at now more than anything.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think it was in the Jordan Petersen thread on CDC.

It's more like something to laugh at now more than anything.

Sort of like JP's sad journey down the rabbit hole 🤣

From a recent NDP info/letter/card, in my mailbox:

'Almost 200,000            people were forced to flee their homes due to wildfires last year"

"$18 billion.                    That's how much Trudeau provided to big oil in subsidies in 2023"

" 2x                                 How fast Canada's climate is warming compared to the global rate"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping that the Trans Mountain Pipeline is part of that $18 bill subsidy- or  WTF?

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

'Almost 200,000            people were forced to flee their homes due to wildfires last year"

"$18 billion.                    That's how much Trudeau provided to big oil in subsidies in 2023"

" 2x                                 How fast Canada's climate is warming compared to the global rate"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping that the Trans Mountain Pipeline is part of that $18 bill subsidy- or  WTF?

Actually...the level of subsidization to oil gas and energy in canada combined at the federal and provincial levels is grossly obscene.  Especially when we see the level of profits they are making when there is literally no reason for fuel prices to be as high as they are.

https://environmentaldefence.ca/2024/03/27/as-the-climate-crisis-worsens-the-federal-government-in-canada-continues-to-give-billions-in-funding-for-fossil-fuels/

https://environmentaldefence.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Canadas-Fossil-Fuel-Subsidies.pdf

https://www.iisd.org/articles/unpacking-canadas-fossil-fuel-subsidies-faq#howmuch

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fossil-fuels-canada-subsidies-1.7156152

When you realize how much is spent subsidizing oil and gas, then hearing how the feds hate oil and gas, only to have the same people who say the feds hate oils and gas whine about how much $ the government gives to the environmental protection, foreign nations or things like first nations or education or addiction recovery resources...it's actually fucking sad.

The feds and provinces have given literally hundreds of billions of dollars to oil and gas since 2000.  So much that it would have lifted every man woman and child in this nation out of poverty, built hundreds of hospitals, built a high speed rail line, increased transportation and protection in the north and reinvigorated our national armed services while also paying down the federal debt/deficit.

But whatever...inflation and trudeau are bad and we need more development.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

An interesting read for the climate change people

The most effective global climate change policies after 2 decades of studies.

Worth reading.

turns out carbon pricing/capping and amixture of policies and shifts towards green energy and rail services have had the single largest effects on climate change for the positive.  Technological advances and the introduction of EVs are the second with policy shifts and legislative protections being the third.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.adl6547

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Actually...the level of subsidization to oil gas and energy in canada combined at the federal and provincial levels is grossly obscene.  Especially when we see the level of profits they are making when there is literally no reason for fuel prices to be as high as they are.

https://environmentaldefence.ca/2024/03/27/as-the-climate-crisis-worsens-the-federal-government-in-canada-continues-to-give-billions-in-funding-for-fossil-fuels/

https://environmentaldefence.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Canadas-Fossil-Fuel-Subsidies.pdf

https://www.iisd.org/articles/unpacking-canadas-fossil-fuel-subsidies-faq#howmuch

When you realize how much is spent subsidizing oil and gas, then hearing how the feds hate oil and gas, only to have the same people who say the feds hate oils and gas whine about how much $ the government gives to the environmental protection, foreign nations or things like first nations or education or addiction recovery resources...it's actually fucking sad.

The feds and provinces have given literally hundreds of billions of dollars to oil and gas since 2000.  So much that it would have lifted every man woman and child in this nation out of poverty, built hundreds of hospitals, built a high speed rail line, increased transportation and protection in the north and reinvigorated our national armed services while also paying down the federal debt/deficit.

It's 20% of our gdp, so not really a surprise is it?

45 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Did Jag have any ideas on what to replace the industry with?

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's 20% of our gdp, so not really a surprise is it?

Provincial or federal?

Now weigh that against the profits every quarter of O&G

Are we genuinely getting our money's worth when we are subsidizing this to the tune of over $56k per person working in the oil and gas sector while these companies still charge us above market prices for fuel and rake in record profits every single quarter for almost 5 years?

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Did Jag have any ideas on what to replace the industry with?

The building of and creation of green infrastructure will replace the level of jobs in oil and gas within 3-5 years if the nation engages building it on the same level it subsidizes oil and gas development.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Provincial or federal?

Now weigh that against the profits every quarter of O&G

Are we genuinely getting our money's worth when we are subsidizing this to the tune of over $56k per person working in the oil and gas sector while these companies still charge us above market prices for fuel and rake in record profits every single quarter for almost 5 years?

Good question. Honestly don't know, I'd need to see how much we are still in the black once it's all accounted for 

I think the gdp number is total output.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The building of and creation of green infrastructure will replace the level of jobs in oil and gas within 3-5 years if the nation engages building it on the same level it subsidizes oil and gas development.

I'm fine with this if it's well planned and costed. That's not going to come from the NDP tho.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

This entire subject infuriates me. So thank you for handling it far more calmly than I would.

INB4 one of the usuals whines about EV subsidies "for the rich" and/or carbon taxes 🙄

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

Canadian government says it's exploring all options on ending rail lockout

• Both Canadian main railways paralyzed

The Canadian government says it's exploring all possible solutions to ending a rail lockout that started today, including binding arbitration.

Canadian rail lines carry massive amounts of freight, including into the US. Previously, collective agreements with CN and CP were staggered, so this is the first time they've even been shuttered at the same time.

It's only Day 1 but if it drags for weeks, it will put a major hiccup in Canadian economic data and a minor one is US data. That's going to make it especially challenging for central bankers to determine if a slowdown is real.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Canadian government says it's exploring all options on ending rail lockout

• Both Canadian main railways paralyzed

The Canadian government says it's exploring all possible solutions to ending a rail lockout that started today, including binding arbitration.

Canadian rail lines carry massive amounts of freight, including into the US. Previously, collective agreements with CN and CP were staggered, so this is the first time they've even been shuttered at the same time.

It's only Day 1 but if it drags for weeks, it will put a major hiccup in Canadian economic data and a minor one is US data. That's going to make it especially challenging for central bankers to determine if a slowdown is real.

Minister exercised his authority under Section 107 of the Canada Labour Code.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cn-railway-cpkc-lockout-job-action-negotiations-1.7301419

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
might help if I named which law the section comes from, eh?
  • Cheers 1