Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

In fairness, protectionism happens with both right and left wing ideology - it's one of those things that is more of a localist/nationalist vs. internationalist perspective as opposed to left vs. right.

100% 

its one of those weird horseshoe shaped issues where the left and right meet sometimes. 

Just looking back on it tho, the NDP have been wrong about trade since Broadbent. And I get it, their stand is to fight for labour no matter what. I don't really have an issue with that, as long as its not the dominant policy in the country as I don't think it's fair to all involved. 

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Check out any political discussion in the media.....see who else uses "far left".....

well, I'm not one that puts much stock in one group owning a term. Or the flag for that matter. 

Just looking at where an issue would reasonably land on a political spectrum. I think a reasonable person can argue that Jags current labour take is pretty far left on that spectrum, but it's more an argument of degree on how far left I guess. 

Also, I'm not sure what your age has to do with anything. I'm pretty sure I'm older than you.....

just from the pov that I've seen enough politically to have a good sense where an issue might be on the political ideology spectrum. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

well, I'm not one that puts much stock in one group owning a term. Or the flag for that matter. 

Just looking at where an issue would reasonably land on a political spectrum. I think a reasonable person can argue that Jags current labour take is pretty far left on that spectrum, but it's more an argument of degree on how far left I guess. 

just from the pov that I've seen enough politically to have a good sense where an issue might be on the political ideology spectrum.

I guess so.... that being said, I think a reasonable person could argue that since they aren't calling for government control of a private enterprise, it isn't "far left".

IMO, far left is communism. The NDP, left-leaning though they may be, is not that.

As I said earlier, we can agree to disagree, because you're not going to convince me that any Canadian political party is far left. Not even the Greens.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I forgot to respond to this....

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding it.....are you saying that although I'm older than you are, you still feel that you've seen more than I have? Or are you at some "sweet spot" age, where all things political come into laser focus and I have passed that age by? :classic_unsure:

I guess so.... that being said, I think a reasonable person could argue that since they aren't calling for government control of a private enterprise, it isn't "far left".

IMO, far left is communism. The NDP, left-leaning though they may be, is not that.

As I said earlier, we can agree to disagree, because you're not going to convince me that any Canadian political party is far left. Not even the Greens.

ah I get it. I don't think communism is on the table for any party, I don't include that in my views since it's not a realistic possibility. Same for throwing around fascism, as much as Skippy likes to attend weirdo camps, thats not going to play in Canada either. 

So for me "far left" would be the wing on the NDP that supports things like government never stepping in on a labour dispute. 

I forgot to respond to this....

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding it.....are you saying that although I'm older than you are, you still feel that you've seen more than I have? Or are you at some "sweet spot" age, where all things political come into laser focus and I have passed that age by? :classic_unsure:

I didn't actually mention you, I was only speaking for myself. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

ah I get it. I don't think communism is on the table for any party, I don't include that in my views since it's not a realistic possibility. Same for throwing around fascism, as much as Skippy likes to attend weirdo camps, thats not going to play in Canada either. 

So for me "far left" would be the wing on the NDP that supports things like government never stepping in on a labour dispute.

Fair enough, but it still sounds weird to me to say that the government not stepping in is a left leaning philosophy. Isn't "less government intervention" usually a conservative thing? :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Fair enough, but it still sounds weird to me to say that the government not stepping in is a left leaning philosophy. Isn't "less government intervention" usually a conservative thing? :classic_unsure:

Depends on how you define it I suppose. Not stepping in gives the labour side much more power in the negotiation.

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

@Sabrefan1 it occurred to me that you may not have seen a political map of Canada - https://338canada.com/map.htm

The far left party is the NDP, the orange guys on the map. If you zoom in on southwest BC, you'll notice that Vancouver is in a lefty hotbed, so if you were ever wondering why you got so much lefty pushback, you just happened to pick a fan base located in a very left area.

Sorry if this is all old news to you but thought I'd post it just in case.

I already knew, but thanks anyways.  😉

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

ouch. Not sure what I said to deserve that. 

I dunno, maybe it's my age, but when you're willing to let a labour dispute cost a country billions, yeah that seems far left to me. 

You're right, the Libs should just force the industry to accept the workers demands and get everyone back to work for the benefit of the whole country. That's what you meant, right? 😝

And I get it, their stand is to fight for labour no matter what. 

Not with their present stance on TFW's apparently...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I think racism can be found in virtually every country on this world. 
After 3 decades of living in the U.S, 2 decades of living in Europe and having Canadian wife for close to 25 years.

The level of racism in Canada towards black people is very low imo, and even if it exists people don’t share it with others ulike they do in the U.S. 

I know in the UK, a lot of people there have said there is a fair amount of black racism, it's just kept quiet and people are sneaky about it.

All of this open border stuff can exacerbate and extend it to future generations.  I see that happening now in more than one European country and the politicians there are finally getting a clue.  Not so much in France and the UK for now.  The UK conservatives were too busy lying to their constituents and paying a very steep price for it in this past election. 

UK liberals took a lot of control and are getting a bit totalitarian.  After they threatened to try and extradite US citizens for what we post on the internet, I went directly to their Twitter pages and seriously went off on their country and it's policies and dared them to try and extradite me.  Lots of Americans did.  Needless to say, they were full of shit.

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What happened on that issue?

They continue to prop up the broken TFW system that suppresses wages for Canadians, exploits immigrants and serves only the wealthy business class because "bigotry" and "pro-immigration"🙄.

I'm pro-immigration myself, but it's pretty easy to see that the current TFW program is being abused at the expense of entry level jobs/wages to Canadians while horribly exploiting immigrants. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, aGENT said:

They continue to prop up the broken TFW system that suppresses wages for Canadians, exploits immigrants and serves only the wealthy business class because "bigotry" and "pro-immigration"🙄.

I'm pro-immigration myself, but it's pretty easy to see that the current TFW program is being abused at the expense of entry level jobs/wages to Canadians while horribly exploiting immigrants. 

its needs some adjusting for sure. I see a lot of criticism from the right saying it's taking away jobs from 14 year olds too. 

I guess once it's tweaked back to reasonable, we'll see where the job numbers are at. It's an interesting one, government reports probably lag so much that they really overshot on the number of people allowed in. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its needs some adjusting for sure. I see a lot of criticism from the right saying it's taking away jobs from 14 year olds too. 

I guess once it's tweaked back to reasonable, we'll see where the job numbers are at. It's an interesting one, government reports probably lag so much that they really overshot on the number of people allowed in. 

Coincidently, this article was posted on cbc a few hours ago:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-temporary-foreign-worker-changes-1.7304556

Plans to reign in the TFW program (no specifics, but an acknowledgement that it needs to be adjusted). There was a need for additional TFW in 2022 with accute labour stortages, particularly in food services. But it's clear that's no longer the case. Like you said, gov't employment stats are a lagging indicator. So it'll get fixed, but the policy always lags the market conditions.

• Thanks 2

My issue isn't that the minority LIB-ndp government isn't evidently willing to adjust, it was that Singh/the NDP ("labour") party's official stance recently was not to acknowledge the issues with wage suppression/exploitation by corporations but to instead to paint anyone against the current TFW program as anti-immigration bigots. But he's there for the rail photo ops. 

Fuck off and pick a lane. Man I dislike all three current leaders.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I know in the UK, a lot of people there have said there is a fair amount of black racism, it's just kept quiet and people are sneaky about it.

All of this open border stuff can exacerbate and extend it to future generations.  I see that happening now in more than one European country and the politicians there are finally getting a clue.  Not so much in France and the UK for now.  The UK conservatives were too busy lying to their constituents and paying a very steep price for it in this past election. 

UK liberals took a lot of control and are getting a bit totalitarian.  After they threatened to try and extradite US citizens for what we post on the internet, I went directly to their Twitter pages and seriously went off on their country and it's policies and dared them to try and extradite me.  Lots of Americans did.  Needless to say, they were full of shit.

One thing that happens in the U.S, is the fact that immigrants assimilate much easier than other nations.

What also helps is the relative young age of our country itself. Majority of residents of Chicago metro have gotten here in the last 100-120 years. On the other hand oldest European country is 1700 years old, plus lot of other countries are 1000 or more years old.

I know plenty of people who are 2nd or even 3rd generation born in various European nations and they are still consider Auslenders. Also Europeans have brought a whole lot of people from cultures totally incompatible with their values. They have been placed in ghettos, given generous benefits and have no incentive to find work. Just like generational welfare recipients in the U.S. 

Edited by CBH1926
  • chaos 1

About freaking time!  I know so many other parents who's grown-up kids can't find work of any kind.

Jobs are gone before the young men and women have a chance.

Back in the day (not so long ago), there was work. Might have been flippin burgers or lawn cutting, 

I could say oodles more, but I don't want to get crap. 

Let's just say, I like the initiative......................................................

15 hours ago, Bob Long said:

High school students. Young adults just getting out of college and university are struggling as well. That sound like 14 year olds to you?

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

About freaking time!  I know so many other parents who's grown-up kids can't find work of any kind.

Jobs are gone before the young men and women have a chance.

Back in the day (not so long ago), there was work. Might have been flippin burgers or lawn cutting, 

I could say oodles more, but I don't want to get crap. 

Let's just say, I like the initiative......................................................

I dont mind this.

However, i dont know where you live but there seems to be tons of jobs here on the Island. 

I know we are having a hard time recruiting at my work. 

Here's many, many, new listings from mid-island,

https://www.google.com/search?q=jobs nanaimo&oq=jobs nanaimo&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59l2j0i512l7.4733j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&jbr=sep:0&udm=8&ved=2ahUKEwix8qHV-ZKIAxURAjQIHfl2B4EQ3L8LegQIGxAN

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont mind this.

However, i dont know where you live but there seems to be tons of jobs here on the Island. 

I know we are having a hard time recruiting at my work. 

Here's many, many, new listings from mid-island,

https://www.google.com/search?q=jobs nanaimo&oq=jobs nanaimo&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59l2j0i512l7.4733j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&jbr=sep:0&udm=8&ved=2ahUKEwix8qHV-ZKIAxURAjQIHfl2B4EQ3L8LegQIGxAN

I was gonna say, there are so many people and places hiring nearby us that one almost needs to be actively avoiding work in order not to find a job. Now you might want to be a purple chord braider for Butterfly harnesses, and the only jobs are at the local pub or eatery, but there are jobs aplenty all around the south island areas. I can't speak to inner city/large city situations, but if you are unskilled labour and working in Vancouver: you are doing it wrong. LIterally anywhere else in Canada is cheaper to live in and has more to offer you. Shrug. I have spoken before about a certain unwillingness in the current young generation of adults to literally leave home and travel the world to seek your fortune. I left the island in the 90s, was back for a posting in the 2000's and retired home to where I grew up in the late 2010's a home owner with no worries other than trying to hire labour as needed. haha.

somewhat on point for me, at release and still now: Lots of folks figure if you can't be tiktok famous then why bother... 

• ThereItIs 2

Regional Unemployment rates July 2024, most recent available from statscan:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1410035401

From among the best:

South Central Quebec: 2.7%

Thunder Bay: 3.1%

Yellowknife or Whitehorse: 3.3% and 3.6% respectively

South Central Ontario: 3.8%

Victoria BC: 3.9%

Central Ontario: 4.6%

Saskatoon: 5%

Winnipeg 5.4%

Halifax: 5.5%

Vancouver 5.8%

From among the worst: 

Northern Manitoba: 33.6%
Northern Saskatchewan: 15.4%
Northern Alberta: 11.6%

NFLD and Labrador: 11.5%

PEI: 8.7%

If you are in an area with incredibly high unemployment and are stuck looking for work, consider either becoming an entrepeneur and create your own job and some for others or look to where you can be snatched up right quick like Thunder Bay, or South Central Ontario. There are literally resources to help young people make life choices that don't include sitting on a couch in moms gate house. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

35 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

High school students. Young adults just getting out of college and university are struggling as well. That sound like 14 year olds to you?

Dunno Ricky , I see ads for part time jobs almost every restaurant or store I go into.