Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

58 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You have not been paying attention in class.

'You can solve any problem by throwing money at it!'

What businesses are you fearful that we would lose?

not "fearful" just don't like to see a local restaurant have to go out of business, if its avoidable. We'll just end up with shitty chains and McD's. 

48 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'd argue restaurants are a prime example of the problem. Where I live the amount of mediocre and overpriced restaurant food is ridiculous. They are a dime a dozen and most wouldn't even be noticed if they disappeared.

so if they are that unimportant to you, why do you care if they hire a TFW? I thought you wanted a kid to get that job as well?

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not "fearful" just don't like to see a local restaurant have to go out of business, if its avoidable. We'll just end up with shitty chains and McD's. 

people seem to like shitty chains though, odd but true. A relative owns and operates Mr Mikes in Langford. It is nothing to write home about but they tend to be packed for lunch and dinner hours most days. I like the Mike's Burger for nostalgic reasons but even so I only get one every year or six months, and last time she comped the burgers i picked up to bring home, awwww, but still, twice a year max for me, though they ahve their regulars like Cheers, hahaha... 

There are worse places and better places but I enjoy House of Boateng in Langford and Syriana in Esquimalt, both owner operated one of a kind restaurants that are well worth your time and money to sample, if not haunt. OOOO and Sabhai Thai in Langford and out near Sydney is also amazing for good feeling awesome tasting flavours, the Panang Curry Chicken is <chefs kiss>

9 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

people seem to like shitty chains though, odd but true.  owns and operates Mr Mikes in Langford, a suburb of Victoria. It is nothing to write home about but they tend to be packed for lunch and dinner hours most days. I like the Mike's Burger for nostalgic reasons but even so I only get one every year or six months, and last time she comped the burgers i picked up to bring home, awwww, but still, twice a year max for me, though they ahve their regulars like Cheers, hahaha... 

its true, people do like that stuff. 

9 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

There are worse places and better places but I enjoy House of Boateng in Langford and Syriana in Esquimalt, both owner operated one of a kind restaurants that are well worth your time and money to sample, if not haunt. 

So many good places around the Victoria area. 

This part of the thread is funny to me. You have Skippy on one side yelling about teens. You have the left saying let them die 😆 I just want good Thai food. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

so if they are that unimportant to you, why do you care if they hire a TFW? I thought you wanted a kid to get that job as well?

Because importing cheap labour has other unintended consequences too. Like wage suppression. Like putting more pressure on our crumbling health care. Making a difficult housing market even more so. We lack the infrastructure to support these people. We don't need to be importing people to work at McDonald's and Tim Hortons... We should be importing doctors and other skilled workers 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Because importing cheap labour has other unintended consequences too. Like wage suppression.

not if there was no one to fill the job here. 

Like putting more pressure on our crumbling health care.

anything to back this up? 

Making a difficult housing market even more so. We lack the infrastructure to support these people.

maybe you have something with this point, although I'm not sure. Do we have any data on where these folks are being housed while they are here? 

We don't need to be importing people to work at McDonald's and Tim Hortons... We should be importing doctors and other skilled workers 

why not both?

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not if there was no one to fill the job here. 

anything to back this up? 

maybe you have something with this point, although I'm not sure. Do we have any data on where these folks are being housed while they are here? 

why not both?

Why does that job need to be filled? And why can't it be done by one of our young?

Try seeing a health care professional for any ailment. Now add a bunch of temporary workers who also may need access as well at some point.

They have to live somewhere no?

The national vacancy rate is 1.5% 

Why do we need both? It's pretty obvious we are very short in healthcare workers. Should they not be the focus when we are soo lacking in housing and infrastructure?

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

Why does that job need to be filled? And why can't it be done by one of our young?

because the business wants to operate? again, this is for places that can't find employees. It does legitimately happen. 

Try seeing a health care professional for any ailment. Now add a bunch of temporary workers who also may need access as well at some point.

dunno, I've never seen a horde of TFWs in the ER. Maybe you have a different experience? I thought most of the complaining was about over doses. 

Like I said, I'd like to see some actual numbers to this, not conjecture. 

They have to live somewhere no?

The national vacancy rate is 1.5% 

Why do we need both? It's pretty obvious we are very short in healthcare workers. Should they not be the focus when we are soo lacking in housing and infrastructure?

again, show me the study that these folks are the ones causing the bottlenecks.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

because the business wants to operate? again, this is for places that can't find employees. It does legitimately happen. 

dunno, I've never seen a horde of TFWs in the ER. Maybe you have a different experience? I thought most of the complaining was about over doses. 

Like I said, I'd like to see some actual numbers to this, not conjecture. 

again, show me the study that these folks are the ones causing the bottlenecks.

So? I'm supposed to care why? There's already a McDonald's and Tim Hortons on almost every city block across Canada? Why should I care if they can't find staff due to offering shit wages? You do care about people making a fair wage for their work no?

Health care is in shambles. Adding more demand without supply is just basic mathematics. Not every thing needs some dumb study.

Re same answer as above. You can't add more and more people when supply doesn't match 🤷

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

The major retail and restaurant chains are the ones using the cheap foreign workers though.

Not so much the local restaurants. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

So? I'm supposed to care why? There's already a McDonald's and Tim Hortons on almost every city block across Canada? Why should I care if they can't find staff due to offering shit wages? You do care about people making a fair wage for their work no?

Health care is in shambles. Adding more demand without supply is just basic mathematics. Not every thing needs some dumb study.

Re same answer as above. You can't add more and more people when supply doesn't match 🤷

I would agree with you to the point where immigrant workers are making it difficult for Canadian citizens to get employment. These workers are not just getting hired in places that need the workers. Businesses are often doing it because it's cheaper than hiring local workers.

However, to say you don't care why... that part I don't agree with at all. You still have to give businesses a reason still to hire local. Being ignorant of businesses solves nothing.

There is one caveat where we do need foreign workers: health care. You have to consider they fact that healthcare workers need a reason to want to come to Canada. Each healthcare worker who is here means they are not somewhere else. This means there is competition out there for these healthcare workers and if we don't look nearly as appealing, it all becomes meaningless in the end. You can say we need supply all we want, but with that you have to consider where we are going to get that supply from. Obviously we can educate some, but that's not going to be nearly enough.

• ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I thought you were pro business Ricky. My mistake. I'll save this for when people say fuck AB oil.

20 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Young people don't stress the health system Rick. 

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I would agree with you to the point where immigrant workers are making it difficult for Canadian citizens to get employment. These workers are not just getting hired in places that need the workers. Businesses are often doing it because it's cheaper than hiring local workers.

However, to say you don't care why... that part I don't agree with at all. You still have to give businesses a reason still to hire local. Being ignorant of businesses solves nothing.

There is one caveat where we do need foreign workers: health care. You have to consider they fact that healthcare workers need a reason to want to come to Canada. Each healthcare worker who is here means they are not somewhere else. This means there is competition out there for these healthcare workers and if we don't look nearly as appealing, it all becomes meaningless in the end. You can say we need supply all we want, but with that you have to consider where we are going to get that supply from. Obviously we can educate some, but that's not going to be nearly enough.

We'd be really in trouble right now if it wasn't for the Philippines and the awesome healthcare workers we get from there.

As in all things there's a balance to all this, and government is a blunt instrument. It overshot, and now it's correcting. It wouldn't surprise me at all if in a year we are raising the number back up a bit.

The only thing that surprised me today is the screw business theme. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Ah yes.....every day seems to have it's "low hanging fruit".....

I see that today's is that good old standby: Immigrants taking our jobs! :frantic:

Well, low-hanging fruit does generally mean there's going to be some merit to it, otherwise it wouldn't be low-hanging fruit.

That being said, being STILL unemployed and having gone through a lot of ups and downs over the past few months, I would hope it would be understandable that I'd rather not debate it at the moment. A lot of stress right now due to so much competition out there.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We'd be really in trouble right now if it wasn't for the Philippines and the awesome healthcare workers we get from there.

As in all things there's a balance to all this, and government is a blunt instrument. It overshot, and now it's correcting. It wouldn't surprise me at all if in a year we are raising the number back up a bit.

The only thing that surprised me today is the screw business theme. 

It's South Africa where I live....at least 50% of our doctors....

• ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I mean the why is usually directly linked to the wage being offered.

I agree in respect to health care workers. Why do you think we have such a hard time attracting health care workers?

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I mean the why is usually directly linked to the wage being offered.

I agree in respect to health care workers. Why do you think we have such a hard time attracting health care workers?

So what's your solution to this? You mentioned the wage being offered. What would your action be to solve it?

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I thought you were pro business Ricky. My mistake. I'll save this for when people say fuck AB oil.

Young people don't stress the health system Rick. 

I'm pro making sure our citizens have access to entry level jobs when they need the work experience or extra funds.

Young people aren't the only people who need access to the health care system, so I fail to understand your position here

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So what's your solution to this? You mentioned the wage being offered. What would your action be to solve it?

Once upon a time businesses upped their offers when they couldn't find workers. Not just immediately turn to the TFW program. It's not like we are short able bodied workers here. Will that fix all problems? Of course not. It's their job to come up with a business plan that affords them the ability to pay people a decent wage.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'm pro making sure our citizens have access to entry level jobs when they need the work experience or extra funds.

Young people aren't the only people who need access to the health care system, so I fail to understand your position here

Well having had similar issue finding work during Harper's government when I was in university, this doesn't seem to be exclusively a Liberal issue. lol

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Once upon a time businesses upped their offers when they couldn't find workers. Not just immediately turn to the TFW program. It's not like we are short able bodied workers here. Will that fix all problems? Of course not. It's their job to come up with a business plan that affords them the ability to pay people a decent wage.

Like I said earlier, part of me agrees with you, but it's more complicated than just "remove the TFW" or something. If you don't care about the businesses themselves hiring these workers, then you might as well not care about the situation at all. The businesses are ultimately who you want to hire the workers; therefore it's important to put yourself in their shoes if you want to show any understanding at all of the situation.

Also, if your idea is to "let them fix it", then don't expect anything to be solved.

Edited by The Lock

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well having had similar issue finding work during Harper's government when I was in university, this doesn't seem to be exclusively a Liberal issue. lol

While I sympathize with your reality, it's clear this isn't the norm.

"In June, the employment rate fell to 46.8 per cent for returning students aged 15 to 24.

Outside of June 2020, during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, that is the lowest rate for that age demographic since 1998.

"This marks a notable decline from the recent high of 53.7 per cent observed in June 2022," the Statistics Canada survey says.

"This indicates that students are facing more difficulties finding work as they enter the summer job market."

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/young-people-looking-for-jobs-are-facing-an-uphill-battle-according-to-statistics-canada-data-1.6953471