Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

if they are tho, they should take advantage of this program to find a GP: https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-connect-registry

it may take a few months but they will find you a placement. 

There's a Cantonese saying: "far water can't save a near fire" (loosely translated)

Her arm may have fallen off by the time those few months have elapsed.  Or it may get better on its own.  But then there'd still be no doctor's note when she really needs it (ie. now).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

There's a Cantonese saying: "far water can't save a near fire" (loosely translated)

Her arm may have fallen off by the time those few months have elapsed.  Or it may get better on its own.  But then there'd still be no doctor's note when she really needs it (ie. now).

well, best to get on that list now, to be ready for the next problem. 

11 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Ya, this is totally going to work out.  

https://www.airdriecityview.com/local-news/alberta-premier-reveals-plans-to-transfer-hospitals-away-from-ahs-9387543

Alberta premier reveals plans to transfer hospitals away from AHS

Next phase of restructuring includes removing Alberta Health Services (AHS) as the operator of some hospitals and turning facilities over to other administrators like Catholic health care provider Covenant Health.

A group that could refuse procedures based on religious views.

Sure.  What could go wrong.

Oh, also privatized?

Ya this will be great.

Let's wait until they refuse to give people specific procedures or refuse to allow people of; shall we say, different lifestyles.  Then start getting taxpayer subsidization.

It's happened so many times I fully expect this will happen again.  

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

In Ontario alone, Tim Hortons hired at least 714 temporary foreign workers last year, up from 58 in 2019. But some 92% of those positions in 2023 were listed under holding companies that didn’t bear the franchise name.

Holding companies.  How many of these holding companies exist for just this sole purpose?  Or for the sole purpose of a corporation or wealthy individual to avoid paying taxes by wealth splitting or hiding?

But we shouldn't hold that against them.  They're just using the same system us poors are.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-byelection-most-candidates-federal-election-1.7305785

This group of morons flooding our electoral system with an exploit of the rules will only lead to tougher rules to get on a ballot. Guaranteed. Things will likely have to be changed as this is an attack on democracy far more than it is a protest about democracy. 

Things like this will have to have the threshold changed:

You must collect the name, address, and signature of at least 100 electors who are qualified to vote in the electoral district where you intend to run and who consent to your candidacy. 

Likely the cost to file your candidacy will also go up. 

Unintended consequences result from small minded people subverting democracy in the name of.... well, democracy? Seems weird to me. WEIRDOS.

Something as simple as needing 500 signatures and each signatory having to put up 100 dollars each to confirm their serious intent would slow this useless exploit down, and provide 50k towards the costs to put a candidate on the ballot and run the local election.

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

My girlfriend is currently off work due to an arm injury. She needs to have forms filled out by a doctor so that she can receive pay while she's off work. She is currently now on day 3 of sitting on hour long holds in hope of getting through to someone so she can book an appointment. So far only to be told nothing is available and to try again tomorrow. So don't give me your garbage right now. It's too early for this.

I doubt you'd find many Canadians who don't think the medical system is in a state of limbo at the moment.  I think the main difference is you have people on the right blaming it all on JT and the libs (who don't control provincial health care systems) and refuse to look at one of, what I think, the major issues ..........the retirement of the baby boomers.

Anyone who pays any attention to demographics saw this coming decades ago, it was inevitable.  We have the largest generation in human history, who held many, many of the public service jobs (healthcare, education etc etc) for decades and now they are all retiring en masse.......however, they are also using that healthcare system more than they ever have as they enter their senior years.

So boomer doctors, nurses and admin have left the workforce in high numbers, yet are a bigger draw on those same systems than they ever have before........and with much smaller generations coming behind them, many of whom couldn't afford post secondary education or chose different professions because the boomers held most of the jobs on public service, is there any wonder why there are huge holes in the health systems?

I'm not in healthcare, but I can assure you this is the single biggest issue in education 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A group that could refuse procedures based on religious views.

Sure.  What could go wrong.

Oh, also privatized?

Ya this will be great.

Let's wait until they refuse to give people specific procedures or refuse to allow people of; shall we say, different lifestyles.  Then start getting taxpayer subsidization.

It's happened so many times I fully expect this will happen again.  

Providence health is already allowing docs to refuse MAID in BC, and that's under the NDP. So of course that will happen in AB.

As far as private goes, I'm quite curious to see how that plays out. Rural service is shite now so can it be worse? 

Iirc doctor's associations were previously trying to get "doctor's note" requirements dropped.

Seems they are spending way too much time having to write adult equivalents of " Sorry Bobby missed school' notes."

not a good use of  time for highly trained workers.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Iirc doctor's associations were previously trying to get "doctor's note" requirements dropped.

Seems they are spending way too much time having to write adult equivalents of " Sorry Bobby missed school' notes."

I remember seeing the same, so I decided to have a look-see to determine what the current rules are.

Here's the current guidance from Provincial law:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standards/forms-resources/igm/esa-part-6-section-49-1

Determining what is “reasonably sufficient proof” calls for flexibility and a balancing of the rights and the obligations of the employee and the employer. The employee has a statutory entitlement to the sick leave, which is a job-protected leave under Part 6 of the Act. The employer has the right to manage its business and the workforce.

Proof of entitlement to sick leave may take many forms. For example, if it is reasonable in the circumstances, it could take the form of a receipt from a drugstore or pharmacy, a medical “bracelet” from a hospital, or a note from a doctor, nurse practitioner, psychologist, counsellor, or therapist. The proof requested should be proportionate to the leave and the surrounding circumstances.

What will be reasonable and sufficient in the circumstances will depend on all of the facts of the situation, which may include:

• The length of the absence. For example, it may not be reasonable or necessary, depending on all the circumstances, for an employer to require an employee who only missed one day of work due to a migraine, absent any other extenuating circumstances, to provide a doctor’s note. Reasonably sufficient proof may amount to receiving enough credible verbal information from the employee to support the nature of the absence.
  • Whether there is an established pattern of absences. For example, if an employee alleges they are ill and takes sick leave only on each Friday before a statutory holiday weekend, it may be reasonable for the employer to require more stringent medical or other proof of illness even though the leave is only one day at a time.
  • Whether proof is available. For example, if an employer does not request a doctor’s note from their ill employee until that same employee has returned to work and is no longer ill, it may not be feasible for them to obtain sufficient proof to establish their previous illness.
  • What types of proof are available and the cost associated with obtaining such proof. For example, it may not be reasonable, depending on all the circumstances, for an employer to require an employee who earns minimum wage to obtain a doctor’s note to support every absence if the doctor charges the employee $50 to obtain the note.

(last updated July 10, 2024, according to the URL)

So instead of waiting for a doctor, there are other options available to get the much-coveted note.  Nurse practitioner or therapist might be more readily available options in this case.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I remember seeing the same, so I decided to have a look-see to determine what the current rules are.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standards/forms-resources/igm/esa-part-6-section-49-1

So instead of waiting for a doctor, there are other options available to get the much-coveted note.  Nurse practitioner or therapist might be more readily available options in this case.

So it's not a doctors note she needs signed. It's forms through her branch of government that she works for that she needs filled out in order to be paid while she's off. So it must be a doctor that signs these forms. 

Thank you for your advice though.

24 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I have to get my health care provider to do a back to work form for next week, so I can return after my stroke........costs me $40 a page

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

This is the exact kind of thing I'd like to see foreign trained professional doing while they update their credentials to meet Canadian standards.

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

I have to get my health care provider to do a back to work form for next week, so I can return after my stroke........costs me $40 a page

huh, surprised thats not covered under your extended benefits. 

Glad to hear you're well enough to work again. 

18 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

huh, surprised thats not covered under your extended benefits. 

Glad to hear you're well enough to work again. 

Nope, and it has to be cash.  It's the same for pretty much everyone I know that's had to get one.  I think it's the way doctors are fighting back against the bureaucracy they have to deal with.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 9:12 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I've seen plenty of stores and restaurants looking to hire in Richmond as well, especially in the malls.

People seem to want to lay the blame at temporary foreign workers, but I think there's also a dynamic of locals generally not wanting to work those menial jobs in retail, hospitality, or other customer service type jobs.

Not exactly how it works in many cases. That was more 10 years ago. Many young women, 19 - 25, largely from India, are working in the fast food industry and the 

others you mentioned;  How it's been working is, after so long, they could sponsor their husbands into the country. Husbands they've never met.

I believe Canada wants a closer look at this process.

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

This is the exact kind of thing I'd like to see foreign trained professional doing while they update their credentials to meet Canadian standards.

The biggest hurdle for foreign trained doctors and nurses is the residency selection process as well as the low number of spots available in med schools. The shortage of residency opportunities is one of the reasons that many Canadian doctors who have studied abroad never come back.

Last year over 1200 applicants couldn’t find a spot. That’s 1200 Canadian doctors practicing abroad that wanted to be here.

According to data from the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS), 1,661 international medical graduates (IMGs) applied for residency positions in Canada last year. Just 439 were matched with the necessary post-graduate training. That's a "match rate" of just 26 per cent.

About 90 per cent of all residencies are set aside each year for Canadian medical graduates. Internationally trained doctors get the rest. And these are not foreigners — you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to even apply for a residency in Canada.

"The Canadian public should be entitled to the best qualified Canadian applicant. Whether they've graduated from a Canadian school or an international school, whether they're a Canadian by birth or if they're an immigrant, they should be competing on individual merit," Pawliuk said.

The way the residency system works has consequences. For example, 115 residencies nationwide — mostly in family medicine — went unfilled last year because Canadian medical school graduates weren't interested in them, according to CaRMS data.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The biggest hurdle for foreign trained doctors and nurses is the residency selection process as well as the low number of spots available in med schools. The shortage of residency opportunities is one of the reasons that many Canadian doctors who have studied abroad never come back.

Last year over 1200 applicants couldn’t find a spot. That’s 1200 Canadian doctors practicing abroad that wanted to be here.

This is the kind of issue that will break things open on private care. There's really no excuse for the mismanagement anymore. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nope, and it has to be cash.  It's the same for pretty much everyone I know that's had to get one.  I think it's the way doctors are fighting back against the bureaucracy they have to deal with.

It is pretty shitty in our system to have a healer do the work of a scribe. I have to admit that needs drastic overhauls.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

It is pretty shitty in our system to have a healer do the work of a scribe. I have to admit that needs drastic overhauls.

Agreed, also kind of shitty that my employer makes me get one in the first place, imo

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This is the kind of issue that will break things open on private care. There's really no excuse for the mismanagement anymore. 

I’ve never been a proponent of private health care but you’re dead on here. For profit wouldn’t have missed this revenue stream and would be well on the path to solving something that the provinces should have by now or at least moving in the right direction. Manitoba has initiated a plan to address this with internationally trained nurses to become licensed in that province. Nothing  substantial yet on doctors that I could find.

• Like 1