Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Said this before but as soon as these guys use their shares as collateral for low interest loans to live off of. That needs to be the income realized event they are taxed on.

I wrote a blog post for CPA Canada (it did not end up getting published) about deeming these kind of 'loans' to be leases for tax purposes. It's a tough line to draw, there are legitimate cases where these people will use share-collateral loans to invest in expanding the business, rather than personal expesnes (most often it's a combination of the two). So it's pretty ownerous to have a solid criteria for taxing them. I suggested just having share (and a few other colateral type loans) over a certain value have it's own tax return. Show your receipts and the business items are still a loan, but the rest is taxable personal income in the form of lease revenue for the shares you loaned to the bank.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 1

Terror suspect came to Canada 3 years after allegedly appearing in ISIS video

A Toronto terror suspect at the centre of a controversy over Canada’s security screening system arrived in the country three years after he allegedly appeared in a 2015 ISIS video, according to details released on Wednesday.

A chronology tabled at the Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security shows Ahmed Fouad Mostafa Eldidi landed at Toronto’s Pearson airport on Feb. 5, 2018 and made a refugee claim that was accepted in February 2019.

He became a Canadian citizen in May 2024, after the Canadian Security Intelligence Service screened him and “returned a favorable recommendation,” according to the timeline tabled by Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc.

CSIS learned in June that Eldidi could pose a security threat and launched an investigation. The RCMP also began an investigation and arrested Eldidi and his son Mostafa on July 28 for allegedly plotting an ISIS attack in Toronto.

The committee voted to probe Eldidi’s path to citizenship after Global News reported he had come to Canada after allegedly appearing in an ISIS video in which he was shown dismembering a prisoner.

His son is an Egyptian citizen who applied for a study permit in 2019 and was refused. He then made a refugee claim at the Fort Erie, Ont., land border in 2020, and was accepted in 2022, after security screening turned up no concerns, the chronology shows.

But one of the charges against the father is an aggravated assault the RCMP said was committed overseas in 2015. Sources have told Global News the charge refers to a video released by the ISIS branch in Iraq in 2015 that shows a man wearing an ISIS uniform dismembering a prisoner with a sword.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10718889/terror-suspect-canada-three-years-after-isis-video/

• Sad 1

I am opposed to stripping Canadian citizenship for things done AFTER one is granted the prestigious honour, however I think obtaining one under false pretenses is immediate grounds for stripping it. I am sure the logical outcome will be that it is null and void for those reasons. Might take some time though to work its way through the system. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

A Toronto terror suspect at the centre of a controversy over Canada’s security screening system arrived in the country three years after he allegedly appeared in a 2015 ISIS video, according to details released on Wednesday.

A chronology tabled at the Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security shows Ahmed Fouad Mostafa Eldidi landed at Toronto’s Pearson airport on Feb. 5, 2018 and made a refugee claim that was accepted in February 2019.

He became a Canadian citizen in May 2024, after the Canadian Security Intelligence Service screened him and “returned a favorable recommendation,” according to the timeline tabled by Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc.

CSIS learned in June that Eldidi could pose a security threat and launched an investigation. The RCMP also began an investigation and arrested Eldidi and his son Mostafa on July 28 for allegedly plotting an ISIS attack in Toronto.

The committee voted to probe Eldidi’s path to citizenship after Global News reported he had come to Canada after allegedly appearing in an ISIS video in which he was shown dismembering a prisoner.

His son is an Egyptian citizen who applied for a study permit in 2019 and was refused. He then made a refugee claim at the Fort Erie, Ont., land border in 2020, and was accepted in 2022, after security screening turned up no concerns, the chronology shows.

But one of the charges against the father is an aggravated assault the RCMP said was committed overseas in 2015. Sources have told Global News the charge refers to a video released by the ISIS branch in Iraq in 2015 that shows a man wearing an ISIS uniform dismembering a prisoner with a sword.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10718889/terror-suspect-canada-three-years-after-isis-video/

Pretty big security screening failure on the immigration side, but good work by the int and counter-terrorism folks to get the jump on this before anything happened. I'll be interested to hear what comes of inquiry into how the immigration was approved.

20 hours ago, stawns said:

I think free tuition for anyone who completes those public service programs in post secondary on the condition that they stay in province for a given amount of time, say 10 years.  Then provide more incentives for various postings, ie:remote places 

Working on education, I can assure people there are many, many smart kids who simply can't afford that kind of education, but would be a huge benefit to our society 

I'm not even sure I'd make it that long, but I do like the concept. It'd need to be fleshed out, so as to account for those who utilize the schooling but don't stick with the profession for example, but I like the concept. 

It's definitely a roadblock, particularly given that a college/university education has gotten more expensive to pursue over time. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Was that a post or a ransom note? 😃

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Certainly a possibility, I hadn't considered that angle. 

contact chaining is a big part of inteligence once you isolate a bad guy. Who he knows and what he does are incredibly significant. 

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

contact chaining is a big part of inteligence once you isolate a bad guy. Who knows and what he does are incredibly significant. 

I never did much on the HUMINT side of things in my brief time, but I find it interesting. That makes sense

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

I never did much on the HUMINT side of things in my brief time, but I find it interesting. That makes sense

I didn't do that much either, but i passed the course. Final exam was being dropped off at a random location and given a random target in a public place and the goal was to get all the details off a list without them realizing i was gaining any details. THink like age, sex, citizenship, name, hometown... silly stuff. 
Come to think of it with my damaged filter and habit of live streaming my frontal cortex: i am a ripe target for that kind of a thing. hahaha....

29 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I didn't do that much either, but i passed the course. Final exam was being dropped off at a random location and given a random target in a public place and the goal was to get all the details off a list without them realizing i was gaining any details. THink like age, sex, citizenship, name, hometown... silly stuff. 
Come to think of it with my damaged filter and habit of live streaming my frontal cortex: i am a ripe target for that kind of a thing. hahaha....

Hahaha, maybe now in retirment. I saw the JTFX HUMINT guys a lot when I was in Kingston, but never worked with them and didn't do the source handler course. My time was mostly employing IRS assets, identifying threats, then colating and prioritizing the information so commanders could decide what and how to prosecute the targets. In a conventional, land-warfare context. At least on exercises, the rest of the time was writing silly Op-For senarios for various training audiances and asking people with security clearances to please not get drunk and talk about work at the hotel bar when they go on leave. I wasn't an 00099 for very long though. Spent a lot more years in the infantry, then a brief time in int before deciding to get out. 

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

Pretty big security screening failure on the immigration side, but good work by the int and counter-terrorism folks to get the jump on this before anything happened. I'll be interested to hear what comes of inquiry into how the immigration was approved.

how did we find out about the video, and that this dude was in it? 

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

Hahaha, maybe now in retirment. I saw the JTFX HUMINT guys a lot when I was in Kingston, but never worked with them and didn't do the source handler course. My time was mostly employing IRS assets, identifying threats, then colating and prioritizing the information so commanders could decide what and how to prosecute the targets. In a conventional, land-warfare context. At least on exercises, the rest of the time was writing silly Op-For senarios for various training audiances and asking people with security clearances to please not get drunk and talk about work at the hotel bar when they go on leave. I wasn't an 00099 for very long though. Spent a lot more years in the infantry, then a brief time in int before deciding to get out. 

If you are like me you wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. I told my therapist last week if i was suddenly back in the early 90's again young and smart and healthy I would almost certainly make the same choices again to get to have those experiences. I think a big part of the 'dream' feel of it all is part of my medical issues, feels disconnected from my current reality in some ways, but that world was so much more than I ever imagined it would be and at the same time was so much more dreadful than i thought it could be. I have weird ass night terrors when I don't take gummies before bed and use my CPAP machine to keep my oxygen levels up.

Spoiler

One repetitive one is me telling the CO that I think I am going crazy...and him motioning over the MO who injects my neck with a syringe..and says, as i wake up screaming in a sweat soaked set of sheets, "time of death, 11:57". Or some close variant of that. It sucks. Another one I am terrified of some predator walking down the street at night outside my house on a normal city block...but when i get enough courage to look out the peep hole the creature turns in the middle of the road directly outside my house and makes eye contact wtih the peep hole and points at me...and it is in fact me. Sad face. That is the cliffs notes version of two super freaky nightmares of maybe a dozen different ones I have these days. Still wouldn't trade my life experiences away to not have them. 

oh and i will end on a funny one, but still a nightmare: its first day of secret squirrel training and a female instructor tells me to show up early the next day at an abandoned mall frontage and when i get there at 5am or something she is wearing a teddy under a cute furry housecoat...no one else shows up.. after some chat and flirting we are making out and I am thinking she just asked me there to get it on... then in a heartbeat she flips me onto my back and has a knife in my throat and hisses at me "lesson number one: no one wants to fuck you".  Sorry for the language, but it is in the dream..lol. I usually wake up shaking and sweating from that one too.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

If you are like me you wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. I told my therapist last week if i was suddenly back in the early 90's again young and smart and healthy I would almost certainly make the same choices again to get to have those experiences. I think a big part of the 'dream' feel of it all is part of my medical issues, feels disconnected from my current reality in some ways, but that world was so much more than I ever imagined it would be and at the same time was so much more dreadful than i thought it could be. I have weird ass night terrors when I don't take gummies before bed and use my CPAP machine to keep my oxygen levels up.

Hide contents

One repetitive one is me telling the CO that I think I am going crazy...and him motioning over the MO who injects my neck with a syringe..and says, as i wake up screaming in a sweat soaked set of sheets, "time of death, 11:57". Or some close variant of that. It sucks. Another one I am terrified of some predator walking down the street at night outside my house on a normal city block...but when i get enough courage to look out the peep hole the creature turns in the middle of the road directly outside my house and makes eye contact wtih the peep hole and points at me...and it is in fact me. Sad face. That is the cliffs notes version of two super freaky nightmares of maybe a dozen different ones I have these days. Still wouldn't trade my life experiences away to not have them. 

oh and i will end on a funny one, but still a nightmare: its first day of secret squirrel training and a female instructor tells me to show up early the next day at an abandoned mall frontage and when i get there at 5am or something she is wearing a teddy under a cute furry housecoat...no one else shows up.. after some chat and flirting we are making out and I am thinking she just asked me there to get it on... then in a heartbeat she flips me onto my back and has a knife in my throat and hisses at me "lesson number one: no one wants to fuck you".  Sorry for the language, but it is in the dream..lol. I usually wake up shaking and sweating from that one too.

Oh man, my Army-related dreams are much more mundane than that. Usually getting to a field exercise and realising I forgot my helmet or my tac vest. Once in a while I wake up and think I left myself logged in at a classified work station and need to run back and log out hahaha. But you're right, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Most of my closest friends to this day are people I served with, even if we've been out for a decade.

• MillerTime 1

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

It also means good news for those with a variable rate and those looking to jump in to the housing market or those suffering the credit crunch.

My wife and I are set to renew at the end of 2025 and this is the best possible news.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Hippy. But if rates, as expected, drop to 2.5% you will see a major spike in real estate prices. Maybe 10% or more. So those buyers who are going to get those really good rates are also going to be paying 10% more for their dream home. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Hippy. But if rates, as expected, drop to 2.5% you will see a major spike in real estate prices. Maybe 10% or more. So those buyers who are going to get those really good rates are also going to be paying 10% more for their dream home. 

That doesn't bother me.  That's how the free market works.  People create the price of homes, businesses create the price of homes.  Governments by and large do not.

I own my house, my mortgage right now on a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom house 5 doors up from a police station in Penticton is only $1223.00 a month.  I am stress tested to $2744 a month.  Rates will go down, people will get some relief and it will take a major talking point out of the Pierre playbook.

• ThereItIs 1

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He is renewing bot buying.

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

He is renewing bot buying.

I just touched base with my sister on rates: she locked in for five years at 4.5% just after it started going up or just as...and i talked her into maxing her prepays and she should be mortgage free before the next renewal, less than 100k to go

She will be 65 next year. I am a young 51, well i admit it: i am a OLD 51` hahaha. 
Of my mom and dads six kids the five who are still alive ranging from her to me and four inbetween all own our own homes, two are mortgage free, she will be in the next three years and I am about two years behind her. My brother the cop lost his wife to an asshole and half is stuff too, so he is a bit behind us, but still owns right on the waterfront near Grimsby, he can see the Toronto skyline across the lake from his house. Not too shabby.

My favourite Pierre comment of the day

At a news conference on Parliament Hill Thursday, Poilievre said Singh has abandoned the labour movement by standing by a government that forced the Teamsters union, which represents railway workers, into binding arbitration with CN and CPKC.

The union wanted to work out its differences with those railways at the bargaining table, saying the government was infringing on its Charter-protected right to collective bargaining.

Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said allowing a work stoppage at both of Canada's railways to continue would cripple the economy. Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said letting the railways go dark for longer would have been a "self-inflicted wound."

The Canadian Industrial Relations Board ultimately sided with the Liberals.

Poilievre wouldn't say what he would have done if he were facing an economically damaging strike action by railway workers.

He said the rail work stoppage was prompted by a dispute over wages during a time of higher inflation, and claimed inflation will not be an issue if he's elected.

• Haha 2
  • chaos 1

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Pierre is not happy and wants an election now.

Something tells me he is reading the cards and can see that clear win slipping away like it did twice before.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-confidence-deal-ndp-singh-1.7307944

He of course went about it in the most mature and civilized manner he could.

By insulting him, by lying and of course making the most possible hay he could during the staged announcement.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has written a letter to his NDP counterpart asking Jagmeet Singh to pull his party's support for the Liberal government so Canadians can go to the polls this fall instead of next year as planned.

"Canadians can't afford or even endure another year of this costly coalition. No one voted for you to keep Trudeau in power. You do not have a mandate to drag out his government another year," Poilievre wrote in his letter.

"Pull out of the costly coalition and vote non-confidence in the government this September to trigger a carbon tax election in October of THIS YEAR. Or you will forever be known as 'Sellout Singh,'" Poilievre said.

"Sellout Singh's" sounds like a car dealership. 

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He said the rail work stoppage was prompted by a dispute over wages during a time of higher inflation, and claimed inflation will not be an issue if he's elected.

like, inflation is a sentient being that knows who PP is? or?