Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Pierre is not happy and wants an election now.

Something tells me he is reading the cards and can see that clear win slipping away like it did twice before.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-confidence-deal-ndp-singh-1.7307944

He of course went about it in the most mature and civilized manner he could.

By insulting him, by lying and of course making the most possible hay he could during the staged announcement.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has written a letter to his NDP counterpart asking Jagmeet Singh to pull his party's support for the Liberal government so Canadians can go to the polls this fall instead of next year as planned.

"Canadians can't afford or even endure another year of this costly coalition. No one voted for you to keep Trudeau in power. You do not have a mandate to drag out his government another year," Poilievre wrote in his letter.

"Pull out of the costly coalition and vote non-confidence in the government this September to trigger a carbon tax election in October of THIS YEAR. Or you will forever be known as 'Sellout Singh,'" Poilievre said.

NDP voters mostly voted with the hope of a minority government with the NDP propping up the Libs.  Poilivre is proving once again most how much of a disgrace to the country he'll be if he's allowed to Nazify Canada.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just watched a fun little video. Justin Trudeau got in the ring with Wyatt Sanford, a Canadian olympic boxer, and held his own. Not too shabby for a Prime Minister who is my age. I would get destroyed by either of them, the olympian more so than the man running Canada.

I can't find a public source for the video so not sharing it. Here is the news link though.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/justin-trudeau-spars-with-n-s-olympic-boxer-1.7018401

May be an image of 4 people

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

like, inflation is a sentient being that knows who PP is? or? 

The thing is, if he makes "inflation not a thing" he will do nothing but continue the bubble building.  He won't help anyone who needs a small amount of inflation to grow any level of savings or the people who continue to live beyond their means.

He also completely neglects to answer how his former government crushed unions and broke government groups ability to speak out or whistle blow.

Pierre is talking out of his ass in fear and is making ridiculous petulant claims of wanting stuff now.  Singh won't drop the government, he's gotten some kind of decent things out of being kingmaker with the NDP and there's at least 2 other major pieces of legislation he is looking at or wants to enshrine in legislation.

He is flat out scared because almost every talking point he has brought up or is bringing up is visbily and actively being worked on by the government.  If rates keep dropping.  Housing starts keep increasing.  Affordability keeps growing and the government starts looking tougher on corporate price gouging while taxing the wealthiest then Pierre has no ammo left to use and his Millhouse to Man of the moment make over will look like exactly what it is.

Bullshit

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

NDP voters mostly voted with the hope of a minority government with the NDP propping up the Libs.  Poilivre is proving once again most how much of a disgrace to the country he'll be if he's allowed to Nazify Canada.

I really hope NDP and Lib voters can resist splitting the vote. It's much more important to keep PP out of power, and we've seen that an NDP-Lib coalition can get good things done. 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The thing is, if he makes "inflation not a thing" he will do nothing but continue the bubble building.  He won't help anyone who needs a small amount of inflation to grow any level of savings or the people who continue to live beyond their means.

He also completely neglects to answer how his former government crushed unions and broke government groups ability to speak out or whistle blow.

Pierre is talking out of his ass in fear and is making ridiculous petulant claims of wanting stuff now.  Singh won't drop the government, he's gotten some kind of decent things out of being kingmaker with the NDP and there's at least 2 other major pieces of legislation he is looking at or wants to enshrine in legislation.

He is flat out scared because almost every talking point he has brought up or is bringing up is visbily and actively being worked on by the government.  If rates keep dropping.  Housing starts keep increasing.  Affordability keeps growing and the government starts looking tougher on corporate price gouging while taxing the wealthiest then Pierre has no ammo left to use and his Millhouse to Man of the moment make over will look like exactly what it is.

Bullshit

without a real effort in strategic voting by the left, I don't like anyones chances of beating this putz as things stand today. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I really hope NDP and Lib voters can resist splitting the vote. It's much more important to keep PP out of power, and we've seen that an NDP-Lib coalition can get good things done. 

I'll be voting strategically, which in my riding means the NDP despite me disliking the local candidate.  I really wish we had ranked ballot to eliminate this necessity though.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

The opposite of inflation is recession, so is Peppe Le Pew promising a recession if the CON MEN are elected? I am a bit stymied by his stance. 

I'm sure he's banking on enough people being too ignorant to understand this.

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'll be voting strategically, which in my riding means the NDP despite me disliking the local candidate.  I really wish we had ranked ballot to eliminate this necessity though.

Ranked Ballot is where it is at. I fully support a Liberal Government rather than a CON MAN government, but I too will most likely be voting NDP. In my riding it is either the NDP's Alistair MacGregor or the Con man, whoever he is this time.  The valley has been NDP for my lifetime, and I don't see a reason to change now. I would hope that an NDP supporter in a riding that will be Liberal or Con Man will see the similar logic in voting Liberal. 

also, an amazing lady I went to school with is his current secretary and I trust her judgement incredibly. She was smart enough to decline my invitation to a date back in the day, hahahaha. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

The opposite of inflation is recession, so is Peppe Le Pew promising a recession if the CON MEN are elected? I am a bit stymied by his stance. 

Dontcha worry, we're gonna be told how anything but is bad and Pierre is the best choice even with this knowledge and these statements

He wouldn't have to order binding arbitration for the rail workers union because in a perfect conservative world, that union doesn't exist and so there would be no labour disruption. He is just getting good at not saying the quiet part out loud.

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Pierre is officially on the defensive.

Reactionary response vs angry statement without plan.

This is new ground for Pierre since he's been campaigning now for almost 15 months making statement after statement.

The fact checking on this will be important as the statements he is making are not only outlandish but also incredibly off base and not even remotely factual.

His new turn towards Trumpian statements about radicals etc is not going to play well either.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said Thursday he would rein in Canada's population growth if elected, claiming the Liberal government has "destroyed our immigration system" and insisting on cuts to the number of people arriving in order to preserve a program that was once widely supported.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill, Poilievre said immigration was "not even a controversial issue" before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was elected, but a surge in international students and low-wage temporary foreign workers has ruined the "multigenerational consensus" that bringing more people to live here is a good thing.

"The radical, out-of-control NDP-Liberal government has destroyed our system," Poilievre said. "We have to have a smaller population growth." 

Poilievre said a future Conservative government would tie the country's population growth rate to a level that's below the number of new homes built, and would also consider such factors as access to health-care and jobs.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Pierre is officially on the defensive.

Reactionary response vs angry statement without plan.

This is new ground for Pierre since he's been campaigning now for almost 15 months making statement after statement.

The fact checking on this will be important as the statements he is making are not only outlandish but also incredibly off base and not even remotely factual.

His new turn towards Trumpian statements about radicals etc is not going to play well either.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said Thursday he would rein in Canada's population growth if elected, claiming the Liberal government has "destroyed our immigration system" and insisting on cuts to the number of people arriving in order to preserve a program that was once widely supported.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill, Poilievre said immigration was "not even a controversial issue" before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was elected, but a surge in international students and low-wage temporary foreign workers has ruined the "multigenerational consensus" that bringing more people to live here is a good thing.

"The radical, out-of-control NDP-Liberal government has destroyed our system," Poilievre said. "We have to have a smaller population growth." 

Poilievre said a future Conservative government would tie the country's population growth rate to a level that's below the number of new homes built, and would also consider such factors as access to health-care and jobs.

He literally just has to shut up, collect our taxpayer funded checks, and cruise for a year to the PM role.. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I have never understood why they don't merge like the Cons will do with anyone who gives them a chance of winning. Seeing it in BC seen it in Alberta before I am curious to see if the Alberta NDP split from the Federal Party.

1 minute ago, MikeBossy said:

I have never understood why they don't merge like the Cons will do with anyone who gives them a chance of winning. Seeing it in BC seen it in Alberta before I am curious to see if the Alberta NDP split from the Federal Party.

The Alberta NDP hhave been at arms length from the federal NDP for like ever.

13 hours ago, Bob Long said:

i think just change out the government for the sake of changing out the government.  

3 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

I'm still mystified they didn't bring in ranked ballot.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

i think just change out the government for the sake of changing out the government.  

Diaper politics? Time for a change?

If the CPC actually had good ideas maybe but unfortunately this isn't the party it once was.

8 hours ago, Future Considerations said:

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Diaper politics? Time for a change?

If the CPC actually had good ideas maybe but unfortunately this isn't the party it once was.

It may very well be time for "diaper politics". I just can't figure out why so many are polling to change to another diaper that's already so full of shit? More in fact than the current diaper.

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It may very well be time for "diaper politics". I just can't figure out why so many are polling to change to another diaper that's already so full of shit? More in fact than the current diaper.

That's why I call it that, you may not like what you find if you change for change sake.