Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My 10,000 ft view of the modern Cons, both in the States and here at home is that the surge in support comes from male insecurity.

The one thing that the right wing leaders have done well, is present the idea that if you are left wing you are not as manly.

It obviously resonates with the jacked up truck with 'truck nutz' type crowd.

Jordan Peterson has made a career from it.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Jordan Peterson has made a career from it.

He's an angry lad huh?

Weird for a dude that tells errbody how they should live. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

His new religious tack is fully bizarre.

I have a bit of a life rule.

I only take advise from people that are happier than I am.

So, Pepperpot can bugger off. 

Just another victim. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Diaper politics? Time for a change?

If the CPC actually had good ideas maybe but unfortunately this isn't the party it once was.

We basically have an elected dictatorship. The current government is doing a poor job.  What recourse do the people have?  Vote them out.  That's about it. 

Politics has nothing to do with it really, just the hope that maybe, maybe, a change can bring about more efficiencies in the system.   Do a lousy job, get fired every 4 years by the people. 

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

We basically have an elected dictatorship

You'll need to expand on this for me 

48 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

The current government is doing a poor job.  What recourse do the people have?  Vote them out.  That's about it. 

Politics has nothing to do with it really, just the hope that maybe, maybe, a change can bring about more efficiencies in the system.   Do a lousy job, get fired every 4 years by the people. 

That's not really a great plan for building stable systems.

I do like the idea of term limits though.  Maybe 12 for mps, 8 for pms. 

24 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Not as simple as that, as a former Jordan Peterson fan. 

They present the idea that men today are being abandoned, fathers are absent, boys are being raised alone with guidance in a world that is leaving them behind, and the left is so focused on empowering women and minorities that there is no place for straight men in their tent. There is no equal opportunity for these men and the world is stacked against them. Highlighting militant feminists that borderline on mysandry in their propaganda helps with this too, with the whole 'toxic masculinity' being interpreted as an attack on all men, and messaging that is positive for only women but infers brushing men to the wayside. That's why those 'triggered' memes with wailing androgenous people have so much appeal. 

It starts innocent, clean your room, dress up, exercise, but every two or three life health tip is mixed in with needing to fight 'cultural marxism' and reminding everyone that women are hypergamous and are heartless when it comes to dating choices. Eventually without you realizing it, you start seeing every interaction as this paradigm. More women than men graduating from universities? That's DEI/Feminists going overboard. Too exhausted by the dating scene? Go your own way. Or identify as an incel as rage and against the perceived power imbalance in dating. It's a pipeline that leads to may dark places. Because they validate all the fears and anxieties men face, and point them towards their culture war targets, it's easy to blame an external force than to work on oneself, and rage itself eventually becomes an addiction.

There is a lot of resentment building up in young men from a male mentor/guidance perspective that the right is jumping right into to fill the void on. And I believe it is a true failing of the left to not present themselves as a place that young straight-cis men can also find support in.  The right prey on the vulnerable guys who have pretty much lost faith in themselves and seek some answers, I think it's important to remember that a lot of these guys are  victims too. 

Hopefully Tim Walz is showing a good example of what tonic masculinity is.

Thanks for this, this is one of the best descriptions of this I've seen .

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, DSVII said:

They present the idea that men today are being abandoned, fathers are absent, boys are being raised alone with guidance in a world that is leaving them behind, and the left is so focused on empowering women and minorities that there is no place for straight men in their tent. There is no equal opportunity for these men and the world is stacked against them. Highlighting militant feminists that borderline on mysandry in their propaganda helps with this too, with the whole 'toxic masculinity' being interpreted as an attack on all men, and messaging that is positive for only women but infers brushing men to the wayside. That's why those 'triggered' memes with wailing androgenous people have so much appeal. 

It starts innocent, clean your room, dress up, exercise, but every two or three life health tip is mixed in with needing to fight 'cultural marxism' and reminding everyone that women are hypergamous and are heartless when it comes to dating choices. Eventually without you realizing it, you start seeing every interaction as this paradigm. More women than men graduating from universities? That's DEI/Feminists going overboard. Too exhausted by the dating scene? Go your own way. Or identify as an incel as rage and against the perceived power imbalance in dating. It's a pipeline that leads to may dark places. Because they validate all the fears and anxieties men face, and point them towards their culture war targets, it's easy to blame an external force than to work on oneself, and rage itself eventually becomes an addiction.

There is a lot of resentment building up in young men from a male mentor/guidance perspective that the right is jumping right into to fill the void on. And I believe it is a true failing of the left to not present themselves as a place that young straight-cis men can also find support in.  The right prey on the vulnerable guys who have pretty much lost faith in themselves and seek some answers, I think it's important to remember that a lot of these guys are  victims too. 

I used the term 10,000 ft ( we used 30000 back in the company days) for a reason. To state it simply.

I think you, and I agree, expanded and added on what I mentioned 'male insecurity'

My best friend is the smartest person I know. He is a real life Good Will Hunting character.

Before anyone I had heard of he was going on a bout JP, he is also an ex-fan. He was learning about JP as he was expecting his fist son, about 8 years ago. Men go through a real defensive insecure state when expecting children... I read about that in one of my fav books ' Mad Blood Stirring'.

My friend started to fall for a bunch of the classic nonsensical underlying solutions for modern issues....he started saying stuff about how it used to be, married couples ( 50's house wives), family values becoming doomed, religion having some good points.

Like I said, he's smart. He pulled himself out of it and now studies Stoicism (haha, i know).

Whats also interesting, on a side note, is that one of my sisters is a very successful psychologist with her own practice. JP wasn't even on her professional radar, I had to tell her all about him a couple years ago.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Future Considerations said:

We basically have an elected dictatorship. The current government is doing a poor job.  What recourse do the people have?  Vote them out.  That's about it. 

But what good does that really do when the people you're replacing them with, are even worse at the things your mad at the incumbents about? As i said the other day, it's about the same logic as pointing a 22 at your head to "cure" your cancer. The logic simply does not follow.

2 hours ago, DSVII said:

They present the idea that men today are being abandoned, fathers are absent, boys are being raised alone without guidance in a world that is leaving them behind, and the left is so focused on empowering women and minorities that there is no place for straight men in their tent. There is no equal opportunity for these men and the world is stacked against them. Highlighting militant feminists that borderline on mysandry in their propaganda helps with this too, with the whole 'toxic masculinity' being interpreted as an attack on all men, and messaging that is positive for only women but infers brushing men to the wayside. That's why those 'triggered' memes with wailing androgenous people have so much appeal. 

It starts innocent, clean your room, dress up, exercise, but every two or three life health tip is mixed in with needing to fight 'cultural marxism' and reminding everyone that women are hypergamous and are heartless when it comes to dating choices and will drop you for a jerk unless you consistently peacock and show your value. Eventually without you realizing it, you start seeing every interaction as this paradigm. More women than men graduating from universities? That's DEI/Feminists going overboard. Too exhausted by the dating scene? Go your own way. Or identify as an incel and rage against the perceived power imbalance in dating. It's a pipeline that leads to may dark places. Because they validate all the fears and anxieties men face, and point them towards their culture war targets, it's easy to blame an external force and see the deck stacked against you than to take ownership of one's emotions and circumstances and rage itself eventually becomes an addiction.

There is a lot of resentment building up in young men from lack of a male mentor/guidance perspective that the right is jumping right into to fill the void on. And I believe it is a true failing of the left to not present themselves as a place that young straight-cis men can also find support in.  The right prey on the vulnerable guys who have pretty much lost faith in themselves and seek some answers, I think it's important to remember that a lot of these guys are  victims too. 

As we are seeing with the collapse of Andrew Tate and the slow descent of Peterson,  this brand of masculinity quickly burns itself out.

I'd also add that he also got attacked so hard for some uh "interesting" opinions and viewpoints, that he ended up just leaning HARD in to the whole right wing,  anti-"woke", anti-trans thing. 

Playing the "villain" has likely worked out for him financially. Not sure it's done him any favours with his mental health though. But yeah, originally he was a pretty smart dude with some solid advice, coming from a place of wanting to help men, some of whom are indeed being/feeling "left behind". Then went diving off in to the deep end, embracing his "villainy" for financial gain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Future Considerations said:

Voting them out in favor of Nazi vermin like Poilivre seems counterproductive.  Why intentionally destroy the country just because there's a few changes that could be made?

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

You'll need to expand on this for me 

That's not really a great plan for building stable systems.

I do like the idea of term limits though.  Maybe 12 for mps, 8 for pms. 

An elected dictatorship :  A democracy is supposed to be the "rule by the people"; however, MP's make decisions not with their conscience and not often in accordance with the will of the majority of their constituents, but vote and make decisions as a party, they vote as they are told.  

We should all be really tired of the bloated expensive government solve everything for everybody "stable systems".  If the people (an independent media would help) won't hold the government to account for corruption, then corruption is part of the norm, the stable system.  

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But what good does that really do when the people you're replacing them with, are even worse at the things your mad at the incumbents about? As i said the other day, it's about the same logic as pointing a 22 at your head to "cure" your cancer. The logic simply does not follow.

Wow, dramatic.  No, there is corruption in the current government, the incumbents, that's enough for me to believe that they should be replaced.  How do you know the replacements will be worse when they've not been in charge of the government in 8 years + 300 days.  

6 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

An elected dictatorship :  A democracy is supposed to be the "rule by the people"; however, MP's make decisions not with their conscience and not often in accordance with the will of the majority of their constituents, but vote and make decisions as a party, they vote as they are told.  

We should all be really tired of the bloated expensive government solve everything for everybody "stable systems".  If the people (an independent media would help) won't hold the government to account for corruption, then corruption is part of the norm, the stable system.  

I would argue corruption is not the norm. Canada ranks as the 12th least corrupt nation in the world, with most corruption being in the private sector and from limited enforcement tools/resources for some specific issues (money laundering).

• ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

Wow, dramatic.  No, there is corruption in the current government, the incumbents, that's enough for me to believe that they should be replaced.  How do you know the replacements will be worse when they've not been in charge of the government in 8 years + 300 days.  

The last 40+ years of history of the Conservative party? The voting record of current Conservative MP's? The actions, words and questionable bedfellows of the so called PM in waiting?

The problems we have (economically anyway), for the most part, stem from Neo Liberalism. The Liberals are moderate Neo Liberals. The Cons are more extreme Neo Liberals. Voting out poorly performing moderate Neo Liberals for extreme Neo Liberals is the definition of short sighted, emotional, reactionary and ignorant and sure as shit aint going to help with economic problems caused from Neo Liberlaism.

Plus a bonus of regressive social policies! Yay!

Edited by aGENT
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

International student enrolment drops below federal cap: Universities Canada

OTTAWA — Fewer students are coming from abroad to study at Canadian universities this fall, and Universities Canada is warning that the numbers have dropped below the cap the federal government set on international student visas this year.\

Wordpress-May_aug29.jpg

Judge orders full hearing for union’s case against public service return to office order

On Sept. 9, federal public servants are supposed to be back to their office desks three days per week, and their managers four days. A Federal Court hearing will force the government to show why it matters.

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/court-return-to-office/

1 hour ago, Future Considerations said:

Because they've made it clear they're not capable of acting in a civilized manner and want to inflict their barbaric beliefs on innocent Canadians.