Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What do you mean, he wasn't a steel worker?

He was a plant! Trudeau even offered him a doughnut. How low can you go?

I am back on my hobby horse. Lack of capital investment in Canada. I am seriously questioning whether the benefits from NAFTA are worth it? There hasn't been a IPO on the TSX for 18 months. The size of small cap markets is diminishing. If Canadian small cap firms want to expand they have to sell themselves or move to the USA. Canadian banks and pension funds aren't in the small cap market because they consider the work required makes investing uncompetitve. Canada R&D is 2nd last in the top 15 economies. 

My concern is not political as this situation has existed for 20 years now. When I question the value of NAFTA I do so wondering if trade barriers limiting capital movement might outweigh the benefits of NAFTA. I realize I am spitballing. With a population of +$40 million Canada might have better options. If Canada walked away from NAFTA it would not be the end of cross border trade. Canada produces so much of what the Americans have to have. 

It really pisses me off when the USA levies $1.5 billion on BC soft wood lumber and it isn't even news worthy.  USA personal incomes are 35% higher than Canadians. 

Edited by Boudrias

Move quickly on gun regulations, directives to stem domestic violence, Ottawa urged

OTTAWA — Several civil society organizations, including women's advocates, are calling on the Liberal government to swiftly flesh out firearm legislation passed last year by enacting crucial regulations and directives.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Guy was literally promoted at his real job for lying to Canadians and directly to the face of our sitting Prime Minister.  Hopefully the lying sack of shit is sacked from both his imaginary job and the one he got promoted in for standing there lying on the news. 

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/trudeau-steel-plant-worker-have-tense-exchange-during-sault-ste-marie-visit-1.7021712

Trudeau lies to Canadians on a daily basis.  I don't really see the difference here...

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I am back on my hobby horse. Lack of capital investment in Canada. I am seriously questioning whether the benefits from NAFTA are worth it? There hasn't been a IPO on the TSX for 18 months. The size of small cap markets is diminishing. If Canadian small cap firms want to expand they have to sell themselves or move to the USA. Canadian banks and pension funds aren't in the small cap market because they consider the work required makes investing uncompetitve. Canada R&D is 2nd last in the top 15 economies. 

My concern is not political as this situation has existed for 20 years now. When I question the value of NAFTA I do so wondering if trade barriers limiting capital movement might outweigh the benefits of NAFTA. I realize I am spitballing. With a population of +$40 million Canada might have better options. If Canada walked away from NAFTA it would not be the end of cross border trade. Canada produces so much of what the Americans have to have. 

It really pisses me off when the USA levies $1.5 billion on BC soft wood lumber and it isn't even news worthy.  USA personal incomes are 35% higher than Canadians. 

Hopefully, Trudeau purchased those doughnuts from a local doughnut shop and not Tim Horton's or Krispy Kreme...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hopefully, Trudeau purchased those doughnuts from a local doughnut shop and not Tim Horton's or Krispy Kreme...

I thought the CPC fans wanted to keep government costs down above all else.  So you're saying it's ok for the government to spend more than the bare minimum in certain circumstances, right?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We know what happened last time he did that....at least he wasn't in a tan suit also......

Canadians criticize Trudeau after visit to Oh Doughnuts bakery in Winnipeg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/comments/erw7ka/canadians_criticize_trudeau_after_visit_to_oh/

• ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

That is pretty crappy tho, he was clearly pretending to be a worker there.

Tbh I don't think it's a NAFTA issue, it's a VC issue. We just don't make it as attractive for Canadian angel and VCs to invest in Canadian companies.

https://www.bdc.ca/en/articles-tools/blog/vc-canada-how-do-we-stack-up-against-rest-of-world

We create a bunch of small exits but can't seem to be able to support bigger ventures.

It's why so much of our tech gets snapped up by the US. 

We need to support vc investment more. But I know, billionaires suck, yada yada.

Edited by Bob Long

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

We know what happened last time he did that....at least he wasn't in a tan suit also......

https://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/comments/erw7ka/canadians_criticize_trudeau_after_visit_to_oh/

Skippy is turning Canada into a whiner country.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s okay as long as they are supporting local shops. 

Or selling oil to China.

Hey how's PP going to rationalize china going after canola, now that Justin did what PP wanted and put tariffs on Chinese EVs? 

18 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Some people will complain about anything really.  🤨

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Or selling oil to China.

Hey how's PP going to rationalize china going after canola, now that Justin did what PP wanted and put tariffs on Chinese EVs? 

I thought we were talking about doughnuts Bob?  Now I have to spend time thinking about a reply to this foreign policy stuff.  😀

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Wendys made donuts a foreign issue when they bought Timmys. 

Krispy Kreme is also American owned. We don’t have any good local doughnut shops anymore. It’s a travesty really. I might have to talk about this at my next dinner party. Maybe get one of those billionaires real estate developers to start a new local doughnut company. 

29 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

What a miserable, whiney, sad sack society we are becoming.

IMG_1774.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Krispy Kreme is also American owned. We don’t have any good local doughnut shops anymore. It’s a travesty really. I might have to talk about this at my next dinner party. Maybe get one of those billionaires real estate developers to start a new local doughnut company. 

Whenever you talk about your dinner parties it reminds me of these two......

Frasier-WithNiles.jpg

• Haha 1

Bank of Canada expected to cut interest rate Wednesday with no signs of stopping there

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bank-canada-expected-cut-interest-133616072.html

Bank of Canada rate cuts and your mortgage: What homeowners, prospective buyers can expect

59 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s okay as long as they are supporting local shops. 

I dunno about other places, but I went to 'shop local' at a donut shop in Sooke when I lived there three years ago. An Apple Fritter was $6.80 for one, with a 68 cent discount if buying by the dozen. I laughed, she smiled, I laughed some more, she frowned. I asked if she was serious, she really frowned. I went and got six from Timmies for 8 bucks total. I would love to support local, but what inherent value does a Ma and Pa donut shop provide to the community that Timmies doesn't? Tims also employs like 35 people per outlet, compared to just ma and pa at the place that is a total rip off in price. I would love to buy a local business made donut, but for under 2 bucks, if anyone can point to such a place, I have yet to find it. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

That is pretty crappy tho, he was clearly pretending to be a worker there.

Tbh I don't think it's a NAFTA issue, it's a VC issue. We just don't make it as attractive for Canadian angel and VCs to invest in Canadian companies.

https://www.bdc.ca/en/articles-tools/blog/vc-canada-how-do-we-stack-up-against-rest-of-world

We create a bunch of small exits but can't seem to be able to support bigger ventures.

It's why so much of our tech gets snapped up by the US. 

We need to support vc investment more. But I know, billionaires suck, yada yada.

Canada does the research and development amd maybe a round or two of VC and then they leave for the USA or are bought out. I was listening to a Silicon Valley VC investor who said that tech development is spreading across the USA. Latest hubs are Salt Lake City and Boise, Idaho. These areas are developing specialities which attract particular people and then satelites spread from them. I am not a techie so my comments are likely iffie. My point being that Canada struggles to create global companies. When we do have a global company, like Nutrien, we have to protect it from foreign takeover. Same with Teck. We need more Couche Tards in Canada! 

• Like 1

Fuck all this doughnut talk is working. I’m gonna go get a dozen or so for the week. 

I have a feeling CFF is a marketing ploy for these mega companies. Just last week OP took his entire family to McDonald’s after a major CFF marketing blitz. 

Not gonna lie, Krispy Kreme is my favourite. The owner of CFF probably has shares in the company. 

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fuck all this doughnut talk is working. I’m gonna go get a dozen or so for the week. 

I have a feeling CFF is a marketing ploy for these mega companies. Just last week OP took his entire family to McDonald’s after a major CFF marketing blitz. 

Not gonna lie, Krispy Kreme is my favourite. The owner of CFF probably has shares in the company. 

in fairness, now I also want to hit the Keg, its been almost a year... 

• ThereItIs 1