Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

I dunno about other places, but I went to 'shop local' at a donut shop in Sooke when I lived there three years ago. An Apple Fritter was $6.80 for one, with a 68 cent discount if buying by the dozen. I laughed, she smiled, I laughed some more, she frowned. I asked if she was serious, she really frowned. I went and got six from Timmies for 8 bucks total. I would love to support local, but what inherent value does a Ma and Pa donut shop provide to the community that Timmies doesn't? Tims also employs like 35 people per outlet, compared to just ma and pa at the place that is a total rip off in price. I would love to buy a local business made donut, but for under 2 bucks, if anyone can point to such a place, I have yet to find it. 

Tim Horton’s doughnuts aren’t fresh. They come frozen from head office and they are shipped to each individual location. Their coffee takes like battery fluid. 

Krispy Kreme makes everything out in their Delta location and you can buy the doughnuts right out of the oven. You can tell they are fresh when you eat them. 

Ma and Pa unfortunately have to pay the rent. Whatever the Landlord charges them they have to add to the price. But yeah $6.80 seems excessive. I have a local place close by and their apple fritters are only $3. 

• chaos 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tim Horton’s doughnuts aren’t fresh. They come frozen from head office and they are shipped to each individual location. Their coffee takes like battery fluid. 

Krispy Kreme makes everything out in their Delta location and you can buy the doughnuts right out of the oven. You can tell they are fresh when you eat them. 

Ma and Pa unfortunately have to pay the rent. Whatever the Landlord charges them they have to add to the price. But yeah $6.80 seems excessive. I have a local place close by and their apple fritters are only $3. 

Timmy’s has cool mini hockey sticks for door handles though. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Krispy Kreme is also American owned. We don’t have any good local doughnut shops anymore. It’s a travesty really. I might have to talk about this at my next dinner party. Maybe get one of those billionaires real estate developers to start a new local doughnut company. 

Cartems. 

28 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Canada does the research and development amd maybe a round or two of VC and then they leave for the USA or are bought out. I was listening to a Silicon Valley VC investor who said that tech development is spreading across the USA. Latest hubs are Salt Lake City and Boise, Idaho. These areas are developing specialities which attract particular people and then satelites spread from them. I am not a techie so my comments are likely iffie. My point being that Canada struggles to create global companies. When we do have a global company, like Nutrien, we have to protect it from foreign takeover. Same with Teck. We need more Couche Tards in Canada! 

We blow it after the first couple of rounds. 

Politically the NDP would never accept more help for VCs, the CPC is all oil and ag.

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Polls, and more polls...

Justin Trudeau tops list of Canada's worst prime ministers, says new poll

I have a hypothesis: Whoever is currently PM will always be at least top 3 on that list. First year in office for each PM is probably an exception, but from then on I would guess it to be true. Hard to test, as this specific poll has only been around since 2020.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Polls, and more polls...

Justin Trudeau tops list of Canada's worst prime ministers, says new poll

September 16th by-elections. Does Trudeau survive if the Liberals lose these seats? What was discussed at the Liberal caucus retreat in the Maritimes? Not much national coverage of these elections? The Biden coup must have some Liberals thinking. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

September 16th by-elections. Does Trudeau survive if the Liberals lose these seats? What was discussed at the Liberal caucus retreat in the Maritimes? Not much national coverage of these elections? The Biden coup must have some Liberals thinking. 

I think if you review this thread, almost everyone on here thinks Trudeau needs to step down, and that was long before Biden did the right thing.

I suspect most of the federal liberal base would be happy with a move like this.

Edited by Bob Long
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I think if you review this thread, almost everyone on here thinks Trudeau needs to step down, and that was long before Biden did the right thing.

It is all about timing. if Trudeau walks away what influence will he have on picking a successor. Does the Liberal party transition without division? Does the Liberal party change their platform in a serious way from the Trudeau agenda? Lots of questions to ask. 

If these 2 by-elections do not cause a leadership change then how does the Trudeau lead Liberals fair moving into next summer? It appears we could be sliding into a recession which does not bode well for the Liberals. We will see whether the CPC starts to flesh out their platform as we roll thru winter. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It is all about timing. if Trudeau walks away what influence will he have on picking a successor. Does the Liberal party transition without division? Does the Liberal party change their platform in a serious way from the Trudeau agenda? Lots of questions to ask. 

There's probably just as much or more division if they keep him.

Trudeau has already indicated he wants Carney in a major role, that's probably the only play the party has.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If these 2 by-elections do not cause a leadership change then how does the Trudeau lead Liberals fair moving into next summer? It appears we could be sliding into a recession which does not bode well for the Liberals. We will see whether the CPC starts to flesh out their platform as we roll thru winter. 

CPC will be light on details, it's the trend now everywhere in politics.

• Cheers 1

The Star

BREAKING NEWS

Bank of Canada cuts key rate to 4.25%

Wednesday, September 04, 2024. 9:59 AM PDT

Governor Tiff Macklem said in his opening statement that it would be “reasonable” to expect further cuts if inflation continues to ease in line with the Bank’s forecast. 

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It appears we could be sliding into a recession

How so? reducing inflation is exactly what everyone has been demanding, that is being accomplished, thus the rate reduction. Everything I have read to date declares emphatically that Canada will not see a recession in 2024. With BOC rates coming down now that the snake has digested the rat of covid driven inflation, our economy is about to boom. We mitigated the effects of the covid lockdown with direct to consumer payments, keeping millions of businesses from folding, and then we mitigated the effects of that action on inflation with sharp increases in the BOC rate, and now that the ripples are calming down on our little lake of the Canadian Economy, we are primed to surge. But you see a recession coming?

edit: as recent as July 19th... Our rate of growth will almost double in 2025.

Is Canada in danger of recession?

National Bank's reading is more pessimistic than the consensus. “Like the consensus,” Ducharme adds, “we see growth continue at 2.3% to the end of 2024 in the U.S. and at 0.7% in Canada, while in 2025 it will drop to 1% in the U.S., but inch up to 1.2% in Canada. So, no recession on the horizon, but a strong slowdown.”Jul 19, 2024

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

2more cuts to come this year, btw

This cut should bring my variable rate mortgage back down below 1000 per payment. What a ride. When i bought the house in August 2022 my paments were going to be 852.65: the rate went up before the ink was dry. haha. 930 roughly was the new amount. Peaked at 1105ish in July 2023 and is currently down to 1060, this cut should bring me near or below 1k. Party time... i can refill the wine cellar. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, chris12345 said:

I should have worded that better sorry.

Do you think housing prices will go up? I'm assuming yes but I don't follow real estate enough to know 

I think they will, somewhat. 

Though, mortgage rates should come down.

I think a variable rate is now the way to go.

We need more housing inventory, as we have for a while now. 

• Cheers 1