Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

This cut should bring my variable rate mortgage back down below 1000 per payment. What a ride. When i bought the house in August 2022 my paments were going to be 852.65: the rate went up before the ink was dry. haha. 930 roughly was the new amount. Peaked at 1105ish in July 2023 and is currently down to 1060, this cut should bring me near or below 1k. Party time... i can refill the wine cellar. 

$1,105 is still good! 

• Cheers 1

the stock of homes for sale across Canada has grown and grown lately as monthly total sales have plummetted. While I don't think prices will come down much if at all, outside some localized areas, the lower rates will certainly lead to more sales out of the historically high stocks nationwide. I think the glut of homes on the market will negate any upward pressure on the average sale price through next year. 

1 minute ago, chris12345 said:

$1,105 is still good! 

I think so too, thankful that I bought and sold four houses to slowly build my equity up to the point my mortgage payment is give or take a grande on a million dollar property.

Buy that hovel folks: suffering builds character, and balance sheets. 

Statistics Canada says country posted $684M merchandise trade surplus in July

OTTAWA — Statistics Canada says the country posted a merchandise trade surplus of $684 million in July. The result compared with a revised deficit of $179 million in June. The initial reading for June had shown a surplus of $638 million.

29 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Poilievre tours Vancouver Island shop floors to appeal to "ordinary" workers

B.C. Conservatives aim to appeal to “ordinary” workers. Poilievre visits Duncan and Nanaimo on Wednesday.

damn, hes' in Nanaimo today?

Maybe I need to go have a 'steelworker' moment with him

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I think they will, somewhat. 

Though, mortgage rates should come down.

I think a variable rate is now the way to go.

We need more housing inventory, as we have for a while now. 

There's LOTS of inventory.

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

How so? reducing inflation is exactly what everyone has been demanding, that is being accomplished, thus the rate reduction. Everything I have read to date declares emphatically that Canada will not see a recession in 2024. With BOC rates coming down now that the snake has digested the rat of covid driven inflation, our economy is about to boom. We mitigated the effects of the covid lockdown with direct to consumer payments, keeping millions of businesses from folding, and then we mitigated the effects of that action on inflation with sharp increases in the BOC rate, and now that the ripples are calming down on our little lake of the Canadian Economy, we are primed to surge. But you see a recession coming?

edit: as recent as July 19th... Our rate of growth will almost double in 2025.

Lowering rates means the economy is slowing and they want to bump it up. Increasing rates has the opposite effect, they want to slow down the economy. 

Lowering rates will also increase real estate prices. So there is definitely a chance we go into a recession in 2025. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jagmeet has big balls. I like big balls. I’m calling an October/ November election. 

Kinda had a hunch you liked big balls.

I've said it all along. Jag and the NDP has done great with the supply and demand ( not coalition, pete).

Instead of the tribal stuff, they were actually doing things.

Canada should give them a chance at the helm for real.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Singh's numbers are falling along with the Liberals. He will be tarred with the same brush in a federal election. PP is being invited onto shop floors across the country.

I suspect the by-election results will play a roll on whether there is an election this fall or not. If Singh defeats the government he might be able to craft an election campaign to attract disaffected Liberals. He might think he could be leader of the Opposition if all goes well. It would be a pay raise for him. Utter failure as a leader IMHO. I would vote for Trudeau if they were my only choices. Excuse me while I barf. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

. I would vote for Trudeau if they were my only choices. Excuse me while I barf. 

Those are the only two choices that aren't planning on destroying the country with completely barbaric social policies.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Singh's numbers are falling along with the Liberals. He will be tarred with the same brush in a federal election. PP is being invited onto shop floors across the country.

I suspect the by-election results will play a roll on whether there is an election this fall or not. If Singh defeats the government he might be able to craft an election campaign to attract disaffected Liberals. He might think he could be leader of the Opposition if all goes well. It would be a pay raise for him. Utter failure as a leader IMHO. I would vote for Trudeau if they were my only choices. Excuse me while I barf. 

I know I am on the right track, when I disagree with you. Kinda like a my George Costanza

Hilarious. 

• Cheers 2