Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Seems to me that the only people gurmpy at Jag are Lib and Con supporters.

I like the move, NDP cant distance themselves from JT now that they got what they wanted accomplished. This looks like a chance to grow their brand as an alt to the Libs.

Let's go. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I like the move, NDP cant distance themselves from JT now that they got what they wanted accomplished. This looks like a chance to grow their brand as an alt to the Libs.

Let's go. 

Not with Jag as leader.  Time for new blood.

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

He's not wrong though so far? Do you believe the NDP would force an election before he's eligible for his pension?

he's not necessarily wrong about Jag, dunno never met the man and discussed his pension. But it is funny for a guy who got that secured in his 30s to be calling others out on it, don't you think?

And yes I do think if Jag saw an opportunity for the NDP to gain seats between now and then he'd do it. He's in a really safe seat, so his chances of not being re-elected are pretty slim. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

he's not necessarily wrong about Jag, dunno never met the man and discussed his pension. But it is funny for a guy who got that secured in his 30s to be calling others out on it, don't you think?

And yes I do think if Jag saw an opportunity for the NDP to gain seats between now and then he'd do it. He's in a really safe seat, so his chances of not being re-elected are pretty slim. 

Yeah, when i heard the moaning about pension, I thought ...this is coming from the PP crowd?

• ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Let's go. 

I'm not grumpy at him, I'm confused. He's doing so much good with that deal, why scrap it now? the Libs had no motivation to do it, but now are probably sitting around the strategy table working on ways to force Jag to be the one to force an election and lose pharmacare, e.g. Makes no sense to me.

I wonder if Skippy actually hit a nerve with those ads? 

Just now, Bob Long said:

I'm not grumpy at him, I'm confused. He's doing so much good with that deal, why scrap it now? the Libs had no motivation to do it, but now are probably sitting around the strategy table working on ways to force Jag to be the one to force an election and lose pharmacare, e.g. Makes no sense to me.

I wonder if Skippy actually hit a nerve with those ads? 

For distance from the Libs?

Maybe the NDP can grow to be a contender one day.

I would like a leader switch though. Someone like David Blaike. I know he's fairly unknown and not an MP right now, but a good speaker with strong ideas like him. 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

For distance from the Libs?

different colour flags already. 

People can now argue this is just a purely selfish political move, and he's risking losing pharma. Its not like PP is skipping down the aisle with his own pharma plan.

If I'm the libs, I put forward a freaking mega budget this fall, biggest one ever. I'd include a bunch of things Jag doesn't like and keep pharmacare in. Make Jag tank pharma the way Layton killed the Kelowna Accord with Harper. 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Maybe the NDP can grow to be a contender one day.

I would like a leader switch though. Someone like David Blaike. I know he's fairly unknown and not an MP right now, but a good speaker with strong ideas like him. 

Maybe. They need to figure out how to court labour and progressives and gain the middle. I think its possible but would they still be the NDP anymore?

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What's funny? They all want that pension now don't you think? PP also didn't have to delay an election to do so. So obviously people are going to call out Jagmeet.

Then I ask what the point of all this then other than political theatre?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

different colour flags already. 

In the last year or so some people have seen red when asked about orange. 

Propping up the Libz!!! :frantic:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What's funny? They all want that pension now don't you think? PP also didn't have to delay an election to do so. So obviously people are going to call out Jagmeet.

its hypocritical of PP. Why is it fine for him to get one, and not someone else?

sadly thats all it seems to be. I thought the NDP would care more about pharmacare but I guess not. 

It's why I bought up the Kelowna Accord that Paul Martin wanted to bring in. It was the first actual attempt at reconciliation legislation with first nations, and Layton sided with Harper to take down the libs. Set back federal reconciliation back by at least a decade. Didn't make sense then for the NDP to side with the cons but it happens. 

Edited by Bob Long

This isn’t ‘Merica. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

In the last year or so some people have seen red when asked about orange. 

Propping up the Libz!!! :frantic:

so silly. The benefits for low income families and seniors of the agreement has been great, not sure what the NDP has to be ashamed of? 

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

An election is being delayed?

I mean the very latest it can be held is October 2025 and the NDP could trigger an election if they wanted 🤷

"I can't imagine any universe where, with the polling numbers being what they are now, that there's a great deal of urgency for the NDP to force an election," Casey said in an interview

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/given-polls-ndp-likely-no-144831133.html

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its hypocritical of PP. Why is it fine for him to get one, and not someone else?

sadly thats all it seems to be. I thought the NDP would care more about pharmacare but I guess not. 

It's why I bought up the Kelowna Accord that Paul Martin wanted to bring in. It was the first actual attempt at reconciliation legislation with first nations, and Layton sided with Harper to take down the libs. Set back federal reconciliation back by at least a decade. Didn't make sense then for the NDP to side with the cons but it happens. 

We both know that's not what he's saying though?

My best guess is the NDP wants to flee the sinking ship but yea, that's pretty understandable. Things like this are exactly why people think politics and politicians are bullshit and all talk

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about the Kelowna Accord as I would have been at an age that wanted nothing to do with politics lol

I did a quick google though. Couldn't find anything really on why NDP voted against. We're they amusing they would get more seats?

11 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I mean the very latest it can be held is October 2025 and the NDP could trigger an election if they wanted 🤷

"I can't imagine any universe where, with the polling numbers being what they are now, that there's a great deal of urgency for the NDP to force an election," Casey said in an interview

We aren’t ’Merica. There isn’t a constant election date. It’s fluid. 

15 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

So he's not delaying anything then? 

I hope he waits to trigger it. The last people he should be listening to is Con supporters.

If it's soon, I'll be annoyed and will consider voting Lib.

PP is bad news. The Cons just keep picking the worst leaders. They should win, I cant see that changing. But if they dont, it will be because, once again,  their leader is a duffus. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

We both know that's not what he's saying though?

My best guess is the NDP wants to flee the sinking ship but yea, that's pretty understandable. Things like this are exactly why people think politics and politicians are bullshit and all talk

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about the Kelowna Accord as I would have been at an age that wanted nothing to do with politics lol

I did a quick google though. Couldn't find anything really on why NDP voted against. We're they amusing they would get more seats?

it was all about grabbing more power. Layton wanted the NDP to grow, and he took his shot. 

One of the unfortunate casualties was the start of federal reconciliation efforts. 

By backing out of the agreement he increases the clout of the NDP.

Now every, single, thing will need to be NDP friendly, where as before, the NDP was just going along with everything, in order to get a few really good things.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1