Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Remember this?

Almost all the remaining MPs from the old Reform Party -- including Stephen Harper -- stand to collect over $100,000 a year in pension benefits once they retire.

Eleven of the original group of 52 Reformers, who captured public attention with their stand against "gold-plated" pensions for members of Parliament, are still sitting in the House of Commons.

And they may find their old pension promises coming back to haunt them as the Harper government turns its attention to eliminating the federal deficit.

Back in 1993 when Reformers first arrived on Parliament Hill, the party made its name by advocating cuts to MP pensions as a way of leading by example and facing down the deficit.

gh, almost all of the original group of Reformers who said they would turn down the generous benefits package have quietly opted back in, according to tracking by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. (Preston Manning and Werner Schmidt were the key exceptions.)

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/harper-among-former-reformers-entitled-to-pensions-1.485513?cache=kmdeuabt

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

so silly. The benefits for low income families and seniors of the agreement has been great, not sure what the NDP has to be ashamed of? 

Silly or not (I agree, it is), that sentiment is VERY prominent out amongst the rabble. Just like "Cons are fiscally conservative" nonsense. 

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

I loved this interview from Vassy. She is one of the best (if not the best) in Canada's corporate media. Reminds me of an interview she did with Freeland not long ago aswell, she dives headfirst into uncomfortable territory for the politicians, holds their feet to the fire throughout & treats them with the respect but also lack of legitimacy they deserve in a properly functioning democracy. Fantastic job. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I liked this interview from Vassy. She is one of the best (if not the best) in Canada's corporate media. Reminds me of an interview she did with Freeland not long ago aswell, she dives headfirst into uncomfortable territory for the politicians & treats them with the respect but also lack of legitimacy they deserve in a properly functioning democracy. 

Picture of Jagmeet after the interview…

IMG_1094.gif

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Picture of Jagmeet after the interview…

IMG_1094.gif

What an interview like this does is expose the political game they play, and maybe thats a stupid point given we all know it exists & has for a very long time, but when your constantly presented with political rhetoric (from all sides) that these people are primarily concerned with improving the country as things slip, its refreshing to see their integrity come under fire in such a direct and professional way. And especially from the corporate press aswell. 

We deserve better from these parties & Vassy is one of the good ones using her power to work towards it in my humble opinion.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

What an interview like this does is expose the political game they play, and maybe thats a stupid point given we all know it exists & has for a very long time, but when your constantly presented with political rhetoric (from all sides) that these people are primarily concerned with improving the country as things slip, its refreshing to see their integrity come under fire in such a direct and professional way. And especially from the corporate press aswell. 

We deserve better from these parties & Vassy is one of the good ones using her power to work towards it in my humble opinion.

What I like most about Vassy is that she calls out the bullshit on both sides.  Great to see.  Unlike the fake media in the US that play politics with every issue…

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

What we know is that Americans make 35% more income than Canadians. What we know is that GDP per capita is at 2017 levels (Bloomberg). The Liberal/NDP coalition has failed miiserably. If the CPC does not increase investment in Canada they will be labelled as failures. Suggesting PP is a failure already is false equivalency in a desperate effort to maintain the status quo. The future of Canada requires a serious assessment for growth which will fund the needs of Canadians. Currently the NDP and Liberals advocate for social needs by deficit spending. It results in inflation and is consumptive in nature. Revenue to government has to increase by a growing GDP. This is a major challenge globally. Some countries are more successful than others.  

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What we know is that Americans make 35% more income than Canadians.

I read that Canada is more affordable to live than the US.

Cost of life in the US is 20% more.

Where did you get thte 35% from? Can you post your source?

I found this..

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/canada/usa?sc=XEAA

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I read that Canada is more affordable to live than the US.

Cost of life in the US is 20% more.

Where did you get thte 35% from? Can you post your source?

I found this..

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/canada/usa?sc=XEAA

I don't know what the actual number is and I'm not here to refute Bouds' assertion. It may well be correct....That being said, I'd bet the mortgage that Americans also have a bigger income gap between the haves and the have-nots than Canadians do.

When viewed through that lens, it becomes a less impressive number, because we know that 35% is not helping out the less fortunate members of American society....at least, not like other first world countries. We certainly have work to do here in Canada, but we also certainly do a better job than our southern neighbors at looking after the less fortunate....

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't know what the actual number is and I'm not here to refute Bouds' assertion. It may well be correct....That being said, I'd bet the mortgage that Americans also have a bigger income gap between the haves and the have-nots than Canadians do.

When viewed through that lens, it becomes a less impressive number, because we know that 35% is not helping out the less fortunate members of American society....at least, not like other first world countries. We certainly have work to do here in Canada, but we also certainly do a better job than our southern neighbors at looking after the less fortunate....

I'm not disputing it either but I'd like to see his source.

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I'm not disputing it either but I'd like to see his source.

It would be nice to see, but I think it's the kind of number that could be interpreted in multiple ways, depending on the criteria used (and unused)....I'm sure that if one looked, they could find multiple credible studies that all produce a different number.....

....meaning the percentage doesn't really signify as much as we might think.

• ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What we know is that Americans make 35% more income than Canadians. What we know is that GDP per capita is at 2017 levels (Bloomberg). The Liberal/NDP coalition has failed miiserably. If the CPC does not increase investment in Canada they will be labelled as failures. Suggesting PP is a failure already is false equivalency in a desperate effort to maintain the status quo. The future of Canada requires a serious assessment for growth which will fund the needs of Canadians. Currently the NDP and Liberals advocate for social needs by deficit spending. It results in inflation and is consumptive in nature. Revenue to government has to increase by a growing GDP. This is a major challenge globally. Some countries are more successful than others.  

We need sound fiscal policy without the barbaric social policies that Poilivre supports.  The country is not in such bad shape that electing a neo-Nazi government should be an option.

59 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We need sound fiscal policy without the barbaric social policies that Poilivre supports.  The country is not in such bad shape that electing a neo-Nazi government should be an option.

Its in pretty bad shape, people said the same thing when Jim Bennning was in charge (its not that bad), at this point I think people would elect Jim Benning for PM over JT. You usually do realize fully how bad things were until some better takes over.   

Edited by Bure_Pavel

But everything is supposedly getting better under Trudeau.  Also, once again rates are being cut because the economy is slowing down, so it’s actually not some flex from Trudeau…

https://stocks.apple.com/AtVHfIHOdQnShf8XMochERg

Canada's unemployment rate hits 7-year high in August

The national unemployment rate ticked higher again in August as the labour market continues to cool, prompting some economists to wonder if the Bank of Canada should be cutting interest rates faster.

Statistics Canada said Friday that the unemployment rate rose to 6.6 per cent, up from 6.4 per cent the month before, amid a gain of 22,000 net jobs. The increase reflected gains in part-time work but declines in full-time jobs.

The national unemployment rate now stands at its highest point since May 2017, according to StatCan, outside the pandemic years.

Canada’s jobless rate has continued to rise despite largely continuing to add positions as rapid population growth grows the overall labour pool.

StatCan noted that students in particular faced a difficult summer job market. The unemployment rate among students returning to school in the fall was 16.7 per cent, the highest level since 2012, excluding the pandemic.

TD Bank economist Leslie Preston said in a note Friday that the weakness in the August jobs report “is giving the OK” to the central bank to keep cutting rates; she’s expecting two more drops of a quarter-percentage point each at the remaining decisions this year.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Its in pretty bad shape, people said the same thing when Jim Bennning was in charge (its not that bad), at this point I think people would elect Jim Benning for PM over JT. You usually do realize fully how bad things were until some better takes over.   

Poilivre is not better than anyone and he's openly planning on making the country is worse.  He's done nothing that indicates he's capable of acting like a civilized person.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

But everything is supposedly getting better under Trudeau.  Also, once again rates are being cut because the economy is slowing down, so it’s actually not some flex from Trudeau…

The national unemployment rate ticked higher again in August as the labour market continues to cool, prompting some economists to wonder if the Bank of Canada should be cutting interest rates faster.

Statistics Canada said Friday that the unemployment rate rose to 6.6 per cent, up from 6.4 per cent the month before, amid a gain of 22,000 net jobs. The increase reflected gains in part-time work but declines in full-time jobs.

The national unemployment rate now stands at its highest point since May 2017, according to StatCan, outside the pandemic years.

Canada’s jobless rate has continued to rise despite largely continuing to add positions as rapid population growth grows the overall labour pool.

StatCan noted that students in particular faced a difficult summer job market. The unemployment rate among students returning to school in the fall was 16.7 per cent, the highest level since 2012, excluding the pandemic.

TD Bank economist Leslie Preston said in a note Friday that the weakness in the August jobs report “is giving the OK” to the central bank to keep cutting rates; she’s expecting two more drops of a quarter-percentage point each at the remaining decisions this year.

Rates are being cut because inflation is easing.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You may remember that the unemployment rate in 2014, one of the last CON years in office was 7.02%.

You quote here that we have had "rapid population growth" that is contributing to the what was it now... 6.6% unemployment rate last month.

So it doesn't take a 137 IQ to figure out if we added millions of immigrants and after ten years more or less, we have a lower unemployment rate: we must have therefore added millions of jobs. 

Go figure. 

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

50 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Expanding on my thoughts above:

2009 unemployment: 8.46%

2010 unemployment: 8.18%

2011 unemployment: 7.64%

2012 unemployment: 7.39%

2013 unemployment: 7.14%

2014 unemployment: 7.02%

2015 unemployment: 6.94%

stop me when i get below last months figures. 

Oh wait, we fired the Conservative Government a year before the Trudeau team had these results:

2017 unemployment: 6.43%

2018 unemployment: 5.84%

2019 unemployment: 5.69%

2020: then covid. 9.66% which is amazingly low considering everything we all know and remember that happened that year.

2021: 7.53%

2022: 5.28%

2023: 5.37%   these last two years are also known as THE LOWEST UNEMPLOYMENT SINCE 2004

I can't make up how badly the manufactured rage is affecting peoples critical thinking skills. I am unsure if the right wing thinks we are too dumb or if they are simply themselves too dumb. 

The too long did not read version: the 6.6% unemployment rate last month still beat 8 out of ten harper years and would be the 7th lowest unemployment of the last 20 years. But ooooo outrage, come on people are you not foaming at the mouth yet?

Here it is in a chart form, as I know some of us don't read so good. 

image.jpeg.1f41df0297de0c03a9ae7497af61f1b8.jpeg

Did you forget that in 2008 we had a complete world economic collapse and several large banks in the US went under?  And you talk about Conservatives being too dumb...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

You may remember that the unemployment rate in 2014, one of the last CON years in office was 7.02%.

You quote here that we have had "rapid population growth" that is contributing to the what was it now... 6.6% unemployment rate last month.

So it doesn't take a 137 IQ to figure out if we added millions of immigrants and after ten years more or less, we have a lower unemployment rate: we must have therefore added millions of jobs. 

Go figure. 

Every year that Harper was in government, the unemployment rate went down.  The only year that it didn't was in 2008 when the world economy crashed.  So, question for you.  Why is the unemployment rate suddenly going UP under Trudeau?  Can you explain that?  Or are you going to blame immigration?  

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Did you forget that in 2008 we had a complete world economic collapse and several large banks in the US went under?  And you talk about Conservatives being too dumb...

Don't forget 1929 and the oil crisis of the 70's.  Liberals are always too dumb to go back far enough when gathering statistics.  It's stupefying.

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Don't forget 1929 and the oil crisis of the 70's.  Liberals are always too dumb to go back far enough when gathering statistics.  It's stupefying.

The point I was trying to make is that under Harper our unemployment rate went down every year except 2008.  Look at the numbers that OP posted.  Under Trudeau, this is not the case.  Unemployment is going UP not down.  So, I will ask you the same question.  Why?