Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Did you forget that in 2008 we had a complete world economic collapse and several large banks in the US went under?  And you talk about Conservatives being too dumb...

Oh you don't say. There was a global catastrophe in 2008 that bought Harper seven years of time to recover from?
I wonder if anything happened in 2020, four years ago that would have similar global consequences that Trudeau has recovered from in ..checks watch... 3 years?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

Oh you don't say. There was a global catastrophe in 2008 that bought Harper seven years of time to recover from?
I wonder if anything happened in 2020, four years ago that would have similar global consequences that Trudeau has recovered from in ..checks watch... 3 years?

Not to mention the deregulation that Harper wanted would have made the crash worse up here if he'd succeed.

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Dude, the unemployment rate went DOWN after 2008, every single year.  Our unemployment rate right now is going UP?  Again, I'll ask you one more time.  Can you explain why?  Or are you just gonna keep dodging the question by bringing up Harper?

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The point I was trying to make is that under Harper our unemployment rate went down every year except 2008.  Look at the numbers that OP posted.  Under Trudeau, this is not the case.  Unemployment is going UP not down.  So, I will ask you the same question.  Why?

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I do not know the answer.  How about you?   If you don't really know feel free to just make something up that ignores how other all countries have been doing over the last ten years and pins the blame solely on Justin and his crew.

Edited by Satchmo
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If inflation is easing, then why is our GDP shrinking?  Isn't lower inflation supposed to cause an increase in GDP?  Our real GDP growth in 2024 is going to only be 0.9%.  

0.9% growth is now shrinking? Again are you assuming we are stupid or are you...ummm not s.m.r.t.?

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dude, the unemployment rate went DOWN after 2008, every single year.  Our unemployment rate right now is going UP?  Again, I'll ask you one more time.  Can you explain why?  Or are you just gonna keep dodging the question by bringing up Harper?

Your position is pointless, so i have no counter point.

Edit: i will carry your logic to the absurd to highlight my point: 

38% unemployment in 2006 was down to 33% unemployment in 2015, so harper good.

High unemployment due to covid but then lowered in 2 years to the best unemployment in 20 years..but now ticks up a percent and a half: trudeau bad.

You see why I don't need to reply to your point?

Pointing at directions is 'pointless' when you are ignoring the actual number. Millions of new Canadians added to the labour force, unemployment of 6.6 (which would be the third best year for Harpers decade by the way)

Again, I have to insist we are not stupid. We know Poilievre is lying cuz we can see his lips moving.

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

0.9% growth is now shrinking? Again are you assuming we are stupid or are you...ummm not s.m.r.t.?

Real GDP growth in 2023 was 1.1%.  1.1% is higher than 0.9%.  Math obviously wasn't your strong suit in school.  Given the fact that Trudeau can't add 8+6, I can see why his supporters have the same math problems...

Here's another one for you.  0.9% is the slowest rate of GDP growth since 2016.  Boy, that Trudeau sure knows how to expand an economy...

11 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I do not know the answer.  How about you?   If you don't really know feel free to just make something up that ignores how other all countries have been doing over the last ten years are doing and pins the blame solely on Justin and his crew.

At least you are being honest by pointing out you absolutely have no clue what Trudeau is doing right now...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

8 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I do not know the answer.  How about you?   If you don't really know feel free to just make something up that ignores how other all countries have been doing over the last ten years are doing and pins the blame solely on Justin and his crew.

Well, for me it is largely that we had a catastrophe in 2020, rightly compared to the catastrophe in 2008, except the 2020 one was a naturally occuring health issue on a global scale while the 2008 one was made in large part by conservative policies in North American financial markets, but that is besides the point. 
When the asteroid hit the water in 2020, we had to take measures to swing the pendulum back to a corrective action...then like ripples in a still pond when you toss a giant rock in it, there was and is turbulence as we slowly and surely level out the waters again. When business roared back from 2020 we needed labour, and upped immigration, and now we are trimming immigration as the ripples get lower, but still echo out from the catastrophic event. Now we need to increase our housing market and decrease immigration, but the overarching effect of tamping down the effects of the asteroid hitting the water in 2020 have largely succeeded. 

I know I mixed my metaphors, but I think most rational thinkers, that is all of us here by the way, to be clear, will get what I am sayin. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Real GDP growth in 2023 was 1.1%.  1.1% is higher than 0.9%.  Math obviously wasn't your strong suit in school.  Given the fact that Trudeau can't add 8+6, I can see why his supporters have the same math problems...

Here's another one for you.  0.9% is the slowest rate of GDP growth since 2016.  Boy, that Trudeau sure knows how to expand an economy...

Words matter dude. MINUS 0.9% means 'shrinking' wheras 0.9% growth is just less growth than the previous mark on the chart. Slowing and Shrinking. Two differrent words with two completely different definitions. I won't give in to my desire to post the dictionary meanings of each for you as I know you are not as dumb as you pretend I am.

edit: also see your own quote where I highlighted it for you..you agree with me that it is growth, it appears.

lastly cuz i don't want to let this slide: 98% in circular functions and wave theory but yeah, math is my issue, lol. Try reading comprehension, it is a useful tool. Growth vs Shrinking. Start there.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At least you are being honest by pointing out you absolutely have no clue what Trudeau is doing right now...

Lighten up.  What I'm admitting to is that I do not have the answers to all of the world's economic problems.   I'll have to leave that to experts like yourself.

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We know you like Poilievre and hate Trudeau. My particular ire is raised when you, a genuinely smart guy, decide to spew garbage you heard or read somewhere and then argue like it is gospel cannon rather than just pick one of the dozens of real flaws you can draw from to criticize our Prime Minister. He isn't perfect, no one is, so why not stick to fact and truth to make your case? When you decide that almost 1% growth really means loss of GDP you do yourself and those who read your posts a huge disservice. Poilievre can lie all he wants, because most of his base don't care or don't check that he is lying, but here on the microcosm scale of Canucks fans with an interest in Canadian politics: lies and half truths just don't cut it and make your case look silly and frankly untruthful. That is all my ire is about today. 
I hope you have a wonderful day, I am going to do some yard work and lighten my project load a little. Cheers for now everybody.

Oh one last zinger, hehe, cuz i can't resist: care to explain Harpers 0.6% GDP growth (or as you would call it, "loss") at the end of his decade? Rhetorical question please don't bother replying. Just wanted to highlight Trudeau 0.9% growth bad. Conservatives 0.6% growth good.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Words matter dude. MINUS 0.9% means 'shrinking' wheras 0.9% growth is just less growth than the previous mark on the chart. Slowing and Shrinking. Two differrent words with two completely different definitions. I won't give in to my desire to post the dictionary meanings of each for you as I know you are not as dumb as you pretend I am.

edit: also see your own quote where I highlighted it for you..you agree with me that it is growth, it appears.

lastly cuz i don't want to let this slide: 98% in circular functions and wave theory but yeah, math is my issue, lol. Try reading comprehension, it is a useful tool. Growth vs Shrinking. Start there.

Words are semantics.  The only real issue is why the economy isn’t growing right now at the same pace as even last year.  Also, why is the unemployment rate going up and not down?  

My friend, I didn't mean to insult you and you didn’t mean to insult me. So no worries there. I am sure we both have high levels of eduction. FYI, there are lots of Conservatives who are really smart too. I know you know this so we don’t need to insult anybody’s intelligence. 

19 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

We know you like Poilievre and hate Trudeau. My particular ire is raised when you, a genuinely smart guy, decide to spew garbage you heard or read somewhere and then argue like it is gospel cannon rather than just pick one of the dozens of real flaws you can draw from to criticize our Prime Minister. He isn't perfect, no one is, so why not stick to fact and truth to make your case? When you decide that almost 1% growth really means loss of GDP you do yourself and those who read your posts a huge disservice. Poilievre can lie all he wants, because most of his base don't care or don't check that he is lying, but here on the microcosm scale of Canucks fans with an interest in Canadian politics: lies and half truths just don't cut it and make your case look silly and frankly untruthful. That is all my ire is about today. 
I hope you have a wonderful day, I am going to do some yard work and lighten my project load a little. Cheers for now everybody.

Oh one last zinger, hehe, cuz i can't resist: care to explain Harpers 0.6% GDP growth (or as you would call it, "loss") at the end of his decade? Rhetorical question please don't bother replying. Just wanted to highlight Trudeau 0.9% growth bad. Conservatives 0.6% growth good.

I hope you have a great day too my friend. 

It’s unfortunate why nobody can answer the question as to why the unemployment rate is going up and not down. Bringing up Harper is simply a whataboutism and doesn’t really help your argument. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

You have to did deeper than just the surface, Canadian Government Spending Now makes up 80% of GDP Growth and wage adjustments is also a big portion. GDP is being propped up by national debt, in reality the performance minus government over spending is not good. 

https://betterdwelling.com/canadian-government-spending-now-80-of-gdp-growth/

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Thanks 1

NDP used stock images from Russia, Israel after decrying Tories' foreign content use

OTTAWA — The New Democrats included stock images from Russia and Israel in a recent high-profile video, weeks after the party criticized the Conservatives for using non-Canadian images in their content.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

What an interview like this does is expose the political game they play, and maybe thats a stupid point given we all know it exists & has for a very long time, but when your constantly presented with political rhetoric (from all sides) that these people are primarily concerned with improving the country as things slip, its refreshing to see their integrity come under fire in such a direct and professional way. And especially from the corporate press aswell. 

We deserve better from these parties & Vassy is one of the good ones using her power to work towards it in my humble opinion.

Am I the only one failing to see the "gotcha" moment of a politician...politicking? 👀

Are we "pwning" water for being wet here? Just trying to figure this out 🤣

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I used the wrong word “shrinking”. My math teacher corrected me on the error.  😊

we're actually forecasted to do a little better: https://economics.td.com/ca-quarterly-economic-forecast

Not huge leaps but better. So with that and inflation finally under control, and some decent interest rates we should see some good movement in housing this fall and next year, which always gives us a GDP bump. 

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

we're actually forecasted to do a little better: https://economics.td.com/ca-quarterly-economic-forecast

Not huge leaps but better. So with that and inflation finally under control, and some decent interest rates we should see some good movement in housing this fall and next year, which always gives us a GDP bump. 

I suspect, but can't say for certain that the high cost of borrowing (relative to the last 15 years not the 80's) could explain some of those jobless numbers last month. As the cost of borrowing not only comes down for certain but the BOC hints at it further declining I would expect more business folks looking to make money with other peoples money and therefore hiring to go UP and unemployment to go DOWN. 
But what do i know, words are just semantics. Up, Down, Sideways, it is all bad if it is describing Trudeau's results. Did i get that right? I mean alt-right.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I suspect, but can't say for certain that the high cost of borrowing (relative to the last 15 years not the 80's) could explain some of those jobless numbers last month. As the cost of borrowing not only comes down for certain but the BOC hints at it further declining I would expect more business folks looking to make money with other peoples money and therefore hiring to go UP and unemployment to go DOWN. 

maybe it was that 1/2 a TFW employee for every McDonalds? 

yeah it could be some slowdown of investing, things in med tech have really dried up this year eg, not sure why. 

8 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

But what do i know, words are just semantics. Up, Down, Sideways, it is all bad if it is describing Trudeau's results. Did i get that right? I mean alt-right.

yeah thats what its come to for sure. It's not fair but it is what it is. Skippy will save you though so don't worry. 

• chaos 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

maybe it was that 1/2 a TFW employee for every McDonalds? 

Timmies. And that was one company from one province metrics you're using.

It's a weird flex you keep doing with this

Big corps shouldnt use TFWs for low level jobs they could pay more for, no matter how few people it is. And to hide the parent companies by using proxies to hire is just more stink. All while they rake in increasing profits.

You really like your top earners huh? even the dirty ones.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Timmies. And that was one company from one province metrics you're using.

It's a weird flex you keep doing with this

its not a 'flex'. It's good to know what the real numbers are before setting ones hair on fire. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Big corps shouldnt use TFWs for low level jobs they could pay more for, no matter how few people it is. And to hide the parent companies by using proxies to hire is just more stink. All while they rake in increasing profits.

You really like your top earners huh? even the dirty ones.

Show me the alternative to our system. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its not a 'flex'. It's good to know what the real numbers are before setting ones hair on fire. 

Show me the alternative to our system. 

But nobody seemed to be setting their hair on fire when we were discussing it. At least not on this site.

It was found out to be a system that was being abused by big corps. We were dicussing it on the idea that they claim they 'couldnt find any labour'. My solution was  that big corps could pay more.

Simple as that. But you like to ridicule any concern or criticism which i find weird.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2