Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

But nobody seemed to be setting their hair on fire when we were discussing it. At least not on this site.

It was found out to be a system that was being abused by big corps. We were dicussing it on the idea that they claim they 'couldnt find any labour'. My solution was  that big corps could pay more.

Simple as that. But you like to ridicule any concern or criticism which i find weird.

I haven't ridiculed anyone.

37 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

And Wendy's is the crack whore on the DTES? :classic_unsure:

I tried Wendies new chicken nuggets, pretty good for 3.50 for a  half dozen. Not a single fast food joint pays me, although I did win 2 Moos Pizzas not long ago, she makes the best pie, if you are in Cobble Hill BC, try "the kitchen sink".

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Are you distracted right now? 

I didnt say you ridiculed anyone. I said you ridicule any concern or criticism.

Such as mentioning the scewed stat about 1/2 person per McD's . Where you using McD's to add to your joke or did you forget it was TIms and that the numbers you're using were only from one province?

And again, it was just a convo. You decided 'nothing to worry about, dont bother discussing it, the numbers aren't that much, who cares if Tims tried to hide a lot of the hiring via proxies' 

Do you happen to do some consulting for Tim's?

If you need to get personal put me on ignore please.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If you need to get personal put me on ignore please.

I'd rather not. You're good stuff.

Apologies for the consulting jab. Thought we could spar like that, but it was not very polite. Sorry pal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Meet the right-wing Canadian influencers accused of collaborating with an alleged Russian propaganda scheme

Tenet Media founder Lauren Chen allegedly took funds from pro-Moscow outlet

https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/russian-influence-election-tenet-media-chen-southern-1.7314976

Was just coming to post this. I'm shocked 🙄

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Words are semantics.  The only real issue is why the economy isn’t growing right now at the same pace as even last year.  Also, why is the unemployment rate going up and not down?  

My friend, I didn't mean to insult you and you didn’t mean to insult me. So no worries there. I am sure we both have high levels of eduction. FYI, there are lots of Conservatives who are really smart too. I know you know this so we don’t need to insult anybody’s intelligence. 

Okay, I'll bite. Economic growth is slowing because the central bank raised interest rates with the intention of slowing growth. Interest rate changes often take 12 to 18 months to work their way through the economy, so GDP growth changes lag behind the changes in the overnight rate. The BoC's meeting summaries say their intent is to reduce consumer demand and slow economic growth, with a 'soft landing'. They define 'soft landing' as avoiding recession: Not having consecutive quarters of negative growth. The BoC is pretty happy with slow real GDP growth and inflation nearly back to normal. Rates going down again because they predict inflation to be back at 2% in <12 months and don't want to restrict growth in Q3 2025 (and beyond).

I don't think any effect in macroeconomics ever has one single cause, so other things certainly contribute. But I would suggest the central bank's monetary policy as the single largest cause.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Meet the right-wing Canadian influencers accused of collaborating with an alleged Russian propaganda scheme

https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/russian-influence-election-tenet-media-chen-southern-1.7314976

Lauren Chen is anti-Trump.  She is also anti-Israel.  So is Russia paying her to support Kamala Harris?

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Did you forget that in 2008 we had a complete world economic collapse and several large banks in the US went under?  And you talk about Conservatives being too dumb...

Edit**. Apologies didn't see you and OP already delved in to this

Way behind on things due to this road trip

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So 2008 gets a pass, even though we've heard endlessly how well Canada handled it.

But there's no pass for COVID even though the numbers are in fact better?

Hmm.  Why?

I never said 2008 gets a pass.  I said unemployment numbers dropped every year afterwards.  That’s not happening right now.  Unemployment rate is going up not down.

Also, OP posted numbers starting from 2009 which showed unemployment rate at almost 9%.  His argument was that under Harper, we were always higher in the unemployment rate than we are now.  Which is false.  If he had actually started showing the numbers from when Harper took office in 2005, you would know that the unemployment rate was actually down to 6.16% in 2007.  Which is lower than it is today…

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lauren Chen is anti-Trump.  She is also anti-Israel.  So is Russia paying her to support Kamala Harris?

Ask the person who wrote it

The social media accounts of two of Canada's most vocal far-right pundits have fallen unusually silent after U.S. officials accused them of being collaborators of a covert Russian propaganda campaign.

On Wednesday, the U.S. Justice Department unsealed an indictment against two Russian nationals, accusing them of setting up a conservative media outlet as a front for pro-Kremlin propaganda.

The media outlet was unnamed in the indictment, but it was clear from details within that the charges referred to Tenet Media, founded in 2023 by the Canadian influencer known as Lauren Chen and her husband, Liam Donavan.

Among the people they hired last year was Chen's longtime friend and occasional collaborator Lauren Southern, another Canadian far-right influencer with a massive social media following.

In the few short months it operated, the outlet produced a steady stream of content favourable to Donald Trump, including an appearance by his daughter-in-law, Lara Trump. 

Since the indictment was made public, several Tenet Media collaborators have come forward to claim they were unaware of how the company was funded.

"These allegations clearly show that I and other commentators were the victims of this scheme," Dave Rubin, a right-wing pundit with 2.45 million YouTube subscribers, wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I never said 2008 gets a pass.  I said unemployment numbers dropped every year afterwards.  That’s not happening right now.  Unemployment rate is going up not down.

Also, OP posted numbers starting from 2009 which showed unemployment rate at almost 9%.  His argument was that under Harper, we were always higher in the unemployment rate than we are now.  Which is false.  If he had actually started showing the numbers from when Harper took office in 2005, you would know that the unemployment rate was actually down to 6.16% in 2007.  Which is lower than it is today…

47 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Edit**. Apologies didn't see you and OP already delved in to this

Way behind on things due to this road trip

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I am happy to concede that one year, what a year, eh cons? what a year. 

58 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Ask the person who wrote it

The social media accounts of two of Canada's most vocal far-right pundits have fallen unusually silent after U.S. officials accused them of being collaborators of a covert Russian propaganda campaign.

On Wednesday, the U.S. Justice Department unsealed an indictment against two Russian nationals, accusing them of setting up a conservative media outlet as a front for pro-Kremlin propaganda.

The media outlet was unnamed in the indictment, but it was clear from details within that the charges referred to Tenet Media, founded in 2023 by the Canadian influencer known as Lauren Chen and her husband, Liam Donavan.

Among the people they hired last year was Chen's longtime friend and occasional collaborator Lauren Southern, another Canadian far-right influencer with a massive social media following.

In the few short months it operated, the outlet produced a steady stream of content favourable to Donald Trump, including an appearance by his daughter-in-law, Lara Trump. 

Since the indictment was made public, several Tenet Media collaborators have come forward to claim they were unaware of how the company was funded.

"These allegations clearly show that I and other commentators were the victims of this scheme," Dave Rubin, a right-wing pundit with 2.45 million YouTube subscribers, wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter.

The thing is, Lauren Chen has been anti-Trump for a while now.  So, not sure what the game plan is here.  What is Putin doing?  Didn’t Putin also endorse Kamala Harris?

IMG_1095.jpeg

IMG_1099.jpeg

IMG_1102.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am happy to concede that one year, what a year, eh cons? what a year. 

The unemployment rate, according to your own graph that you posted, was well under 7% for 3 consecutive years, 2005, 2006 and 2007, until the world economy collapsed.  It was well on its way to under 6% under Harper.  

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The thing is, Lauren Chen has been anti-Trump for a while now.  So, not sure what the game plan is here.  What is Putin doing?  Didn’t Putin also endorse Kamala Harris?

IMG_1095.jpeg

IMG_1099.jpeg

IMG_1102.jpeg

Encouraging people to not vote is just as vital to the division. It's part of Russia's playbook to appeal to both ends of the aisle. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the pro-gaza protests we've seen disrupting so much have their funding indirectly via these channels too.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The unemployment rate, according to your own graph that you posted, was well under 7% for 3 consecutive years, 2005, 2006 and 2007, until the world economy collapsed.  It was well on its way to under 6% under Harper.  

Woulda Coulda Shoulda. lol 

I guess my point is that there is depth and context to every headline. When the Agha Khan took his godson of 50 years on a vacation, like most years of the last forty.. the CONS said it was corruption because the Agha Khan had matters before the state. That depth and context was ignored by the leadership and rank and file on the right, so i ask with honesty and sincerity, who the fuck cares about the difficulties that lead Harper to fail economically so badly.. when one considers the contexts he faced.  My take on Trudeau's maneuvers is the same. 

14 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I'm waiting for that Rebel News name drop. But I can also believe Erza Levant is willing to be that stupid and divisive for free.

Edited by DSVII
  • Vintage 1

Just a note on foreign interference: Putin's goal is destabilization, not making candidate X the President or Prime Minister.

Expecting Russia to promote one candidate repeatedly even after the west's various intel agencies have pointed out their interference is a bit of small thinking.

Expect Russia to now openly express the opposite to what we would assume is their preferred candidate, because they are sowing mistrust of our systems and promoting destabilization of our nations, they are not trying get their guy elected per se.  However with the Donald's comments about forcing Ukraine to submit and removing sanctions, it is easy to see why Moscow would prefer a Trump win, but don't expect them to specifically work towards that goal, the ultimate goal is merely rocking the boat and pushing democracies towards the edge. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Just a note on foreign interference: Putin's goal is destabilization, not making candidate X the President or Prime Minister.

Expecting Russia to promote one candidate repeatedly even after the west's various intel agencies have pointed out their interference is a bit of small thinking.

Expect Russia to now openly express the opposite to what we would assume is their preferred candidate, because they are sowing mistrust of our systems and promoting destabilization of our nations, they are not trying get their guy elected per se.  However with the Donald's comments about forcing Ukraine to submit and removing sanctions, it is easy to see why Moscow would prefer a Trump win, but don't expect them to specifically work towards that goal, the ultimate goal is merely rocking the boat and pushing democracies towards the edge. 

Which you do a great job of by pushing people with regressive social, and anti labour policies in to power in the West. (Gee, who does that sound like?)

Take/reduce (or threaten to) people's freedoms and rights away, continue spreading wage gaps, worsen affordability etc and people get increasingly cranky.

Voila, civil unrest.

I don't think it's "small thinking" to suggest Russians would prefer (Neo) Conservative candidates in power to achieve those very goals. Especially when as you mentioned, some are even openly pro-Russia.