Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Which you do a great job of by pushing people with regressive social, and anti labour policies in to power in the West. (Gee, who does that sound like?)

Take/reduce (or threaten to) people's freedoms and rights away, continue spreading wage gaps, worsen affordability etc and people get increasingly cranky.

Voila, civil unrest.

I don't think it's "small thinking" to suggest Russians would prefer (Neo) Conservative candidates in power to achieve those very goals. Especially when as you mentioned, some are even openly pro-Russia.

I agree, i don't think I said that right. What I was aiming for was the folks who will say 'but the russian propaganda says vote harris now so she must be the bad guy' isn't correct. The objective was and is destabalization more so than it was to try to direct votes a certain way. If the ultimate winner has a tinge of being supported by Russia: that is the objective. Not picking the winner, but puting a taint on whoever the winner may be. 
I like your take on this too. 

I think that you are right, Russian power holders would prefer the Neo-Cons to progressives. But their propaganda campaigns are not aimed to electing who they like, they are aimed at putting a shadow over whoever may win. If the outcome is in doubt: russia wins its little game of deception and manipulation more so than if they get their favourite cheeto in office. 

• Cheers 1

Nanaimo though... why Nanaimo? lol... I know it has some quaintness to it, for sure, but it has gone to seed pretty much with armed hobo's and entire downtown blocks looking more like East Hastings than ever. But, at least the Island is getting some attention.

Mark Carney is in the hizouse!

Old photo, but you get the idea. 

May be an image of 2 people and text

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Nanaimo though... why Nanaimo? lol... I know it has some quaintness to it, for sure, but it has gone to seed pretty much with armed hobo's and entire downtown blocks looking more like East Hastings than ever. But, at least the Island is getting some attention.

The Rt. Hon. is trying to seduce you out of retirement.  :classic_ninja:

:hurhur:

• chaos 1

11 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Nanaimo is east hasting on the island.  
What a piece of shit little town. 
Such a shame as it used to be so beautiful 

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Its a city. Shit little city.

It's gotten worse but the old area has been gross for a while. 

It's one of the fastest growing cities in Canada ( top 5). Tons of young adults heading there.  No wonder the politicians stop by. 

The growth is part of the problem. Hard for the public services to keep up. 

So, not that shit in the big picture. You dont have to live in Nanaimo to work there, surrounding areas are paradise. The island is the best place on the planet. People moving here are setting themselves up for a great future. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

There's definitely some challenged areas and yes around Port Place can feel a bit "East Hastings" (with the old quarter a bit like "Island Gastown"). But it's far from alone with dealing with those problems.

The rest of the city is pretty mundane suburbs, malls and some pretty nice parks beaches, hiking, biking etc.

And as @bishopshodannoted, a pretty fast growing city and not really a "little town". "Shitty" or otherwise. I actually think Nanaimo is doing a lot better job of incorporating that growth and those "East Hastings" problems better than say, Duncan.

• Cheers 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/international-student-enrolment-down-45-per-cent-universities-canada-says/ar-AA1qaHRw?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=77b939fb38244abda0d863538182bae0&ei=31

"

A group representing almost 100 of Canada's universities is warning the impact from the federal government's cap on international students will be "far greater" than what Ottawa aimed for.

Gabriel Miller, president of Universities Canada, told Global News when the schools officially finish counting how many students have arrived and enrolled, there will be at least a 45 per cent drop of international students. The final tally will be reported in October.

---------------------------

a lot more at link

11 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Shhhhhhh. 

Bishop mis-spoke. The island is a too hot mosquito haven with drought issues. If you don't live here, I would give it a pass. I hear the Martitimes are nice this time of year. Try there folks. 

😜

Wait, were we talking Vancouver Island?

My bad, youre right, that place is the pits.

Keep moving, nothing to see here.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

If B.C. had winters like the other provinces, we would have much less of a 'homeless' problem.

You have two choices G....

Change "B.C." to "Vancouver".....or take a trip to Burns Lake in February....:classic_cool:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Its a city. Shit little city.

It's gotten worse but the old area has been gross for a while. 

It's one of the fastest growing cities in Canada ( top 5). Tons of young adults heading there.  No wonder the politicians stop by. 

The growth is part of the problem. Hard for the public services to keep up. 

So, not that shit in the big picture. You dont have to live in Nanaimo to work there, surrounding areas are paradise. The island is the best place on the planet. People moving here are setting themselves up for a great future. 

Interesting if true, because the old saying associated with the island is "newly wed and nearly dead", I've noticed a lot more of the latter there during my time growing up on the island. 

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Interesting if true, because the old saying associated with the island is "newly wed and nearly dead", I've noticed a lot more of the latter there during my time growing up on the island. 

Young people become fastest growing age group in Nanaimo, B.C.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/young-people-become-fastest-growing-age-group-in-nanaimo-b-c-1.5849924#:~:text=Young%2C working adults are choosing,Nanaimo over the next decade.

'In the City of Nanaimo, there's a change in the air. Young, working adults are choosing to call the Mid-Island city home at a quickly rising rate.

The city's latest economic snapshot(opens in a new tab) shows that 25 to 44-year-olds will be the fastest growing age group in Nanaimo over the next decade. It's the first time this demographic has surged past the 65+ cohort in years.'

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Young people become fastest growing age group in Nanaimo, B.C.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/young-people-become-fastest-growing-age-group-in-nanaimo-b-c-1.5849924#:~:text=Young%2C working adults are choosing,Nanaimo over the next decade.

'In the City of Nanaimo, there's a change in the air. Young, working adults are choosing to call the Mid-Island city home at a quickly rising rate.

The city's latest economic snapshot(opens in a new tab) shows that 25 to 44-year-olds will be the fastest growing age group in Nanaimo over the next decade. It's the first time this demographic has surged past the 65+ cohort in years.'

That was a couple of years ago too, interesting, I'm surprised that many folks are managing to find somewhere to live in Nanaimo of all places 

More often than not the rental market is described as being quite challenging, and housing prices have been jacked up since Covid 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

That was a couple of years ago too, interesting, I'm surprised that many folks are managing to find somewhere to live in Nanaimo of all places 

More often than not the rental market is described as being quite challenging, and housing prices have been jacked up since Covid 

yeah, I grabbed the first one that popped up. Big surge after covid. As that article says its predicted to be the fastest growing demographic for the next decade.

i actually called a bar/club owner I know well in Vancouver, a couple years ago, to see if he wanted me to open a spot for him before I decided to go into my current career.

Due to this demographic surge, Nanaimo is short on those kinds of businesses. There were a few articles about that too but i cant find them.

Here's another from last year talking about growth in general and that the economy is keeping up. 

https://www.vancouverislandfreedaily.com/business/more-people-living-and-working-in-nanaimo-finds-state-of-the-economy-report-7244348

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

yeah, I grabbed the first one that popped up. Big surge after covid. As that article says its predicted to be the fastest growing demographic for the next decade.

i actually called a bar/club owner I know well in Vancouver, a couple years ago, to see if he wanted me to open a spot for him before I decided to go into my current career.

Due to this demographic surge, Nanaimo is short on those kinds of businesses. There were a few articles about that too but i cant find them.

Here's another from last year talking about growth in general and that the economy is keeping up. 

https://www.vancouverislandfreedaily.com/business/more-people-living-and-working-in-nanaimo-finds-state-of-the-economy-report-7244348

Nanaimo night life is weird, for a city of 100k+ there really isn't much of a scene and it's been that way for years. The downtown area is generally the hub for that, I wouldn't really lump the scattered pubs around Nanaimo into it's night life. Victoria's the best place to go for that sort of thing. 

Be interesting to see how things develop, particularly in regards to housing development, costs, and so on. I hate to say it, but it's only gotten more and more expensive to live on the island, which sucks as someone whose plan is very much to move back. Be interesting to see how it's economy develops too, Nanaimo's always been very much a service/retail town imo, there's so much shopping to be done in Nanaimo. Lot of businesses, but that goes hand in hand with what I said. 

It seems Nanaimo's always trying to develop somewhere, which makes sense, but I wonder about how the costs of housing will affect it's growth given recent housing benchmarks. https://nanaimonewsnow.com/2024/04/24/792203/#:~:text=The average price for a,in a rapidly changing environment.

Average income for the last census was around 49,240, or 42,520 after tax. 

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2021/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&SearchText=nanaimo&DGUIDlist=2021A00035921&GENDERlist=1&STATISTIClist=1&HEADERlist=0

• Cheers 1

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/timeline-the-rise-and-fall-of-prime-minister-justin-trudeau-s-political-fortunes-1.7028337

Timeline: The rise and fall of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's political fortunes

OCTOBER 2013

Wins race to become leader of LIberal Party

OCTOBER 2015

Leads party to victory in federal election

DECEMBER 2017

Found guilty of conflict of interest

FEBRUARY 2019

SNC-Lavalin scandal

SEPTEMBER 2019

Blackface scandal erupts ahead of election

OCTOBER 2019

Liberals reduced to minority in House

AUGUST 2020

Finance minister resigns

SEPTEMBER 2021

Failed bid to win back majority in House

JULY 2023

Polls show Liberals steadily losing popularity

JUNE 2024

Liberals suffer bad defeat in special election 

SEPT 2024

Key ally withdraws automatic support

12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/timeline-the-rise-and-fall-of-prime-minister-justin-trudeau-s-political-fortunes-1.7028337

Timeline: The rise and fall of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's political fortunes

OCTOBER 2013

OCTOBER 2015

DECEMBER 2017

FEBRUARY 2019

SNC-Lavalin scandal

SEPTEMBER 2019

OCTOBER 2019

AUGUST 2020

Finance minister resigns

SEPTEMBER 2021

JULY 2023

JUNE 2024

SEPT 2024

Jody says hi. How about that JT had no credentials to lead a party other than being the son of a former PM. In was in over his head from the get go. Sad.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Jody says hi. How about that JT had no credentials to lead a party other than being the son of a former PM. In was in over his head from the get go. Sad.

What credentials do you suggest would be a reasonable minimum?

Edited by King Heffy
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

OCTOBER 2013

OCTOBER 2015

DECEMBER 2017

FEBRUARY 2019

SNC-Lavalin scandal

SEPTEMBER 2019

OCTOBER 2019

AUGUST 2020

Finance minister resigns

SEPTEMBER 2021

JULY 2023

JUNE 2024

SEPT 2024

A very one sided hit list.  Lucky for us for every partisan opinion a balanced one exists.

Justin Trudeau May Be the World’s Most Successful Progressive Leader

You don’t have to like him. But hear out his accomplishments.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2021/09/29/justin-trudeau-may-be-the-worlds-most-successful-progressive-leader/

https://www.yorku.ca/news/2023/11/27/after-8-years-in-power-what-is-justin-trudeaus-legacy-and-how-will-he-cement-it/

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

A very one sided hit list.  Lucky for us for every partisan opinion a balanced one exists.

Justin Trudeau May Be the World’s Most Successful Progressive Leader

You don’t have to like him. But hear out his accomplishments.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2021/09/29/justin-trudeau-may-be-the-worlds-most-successful-progressive-leader/

https://www.yorku.ca/news/2023/11/27/after-8-years-in-power-what-is-justin-trudeaus-legacy-and-how-will-he-cement-it/

His main accomplishments are raising taxes, promoting gender equality, and legalizing drugs after 8 years? 

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

His main accomplishments are raising taxes, promoting gender equality, and legalizing drugs after 8 years? 

Also successfully navigated the pandemic and negotiated a reasonable trade deal with the USA despite having to work with an insane partner.

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Raising some taxes, lowering others. 

The Canada child tax credit and the increase of the basic personal deduction are pretty big deals.

Recapitalizaed of the Navy and Air Force have been very substantial too. Seems to be a lot of discourse of the 'same old story' of government ignoring investing in new defense equipment, but I don't think the facts support that anymore.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

You have just provided us with another, albeit shorter, hit list.  I have a feeling you briefly scanned that article with an eye to cherry pick.    I also have a feeing we will not agree on the positive effects of the carbon tax, child care benefits, and Covid protocols.   We may also disagree on that gender equality thing you seem to be belittling.

To each their own I suppose.

• Cheers 1