Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

28 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Raising some taxes, lowering others. 

The Canada child tax credit and the increase of the basic personal deduction are pretty big deals.

Recapitalizaed of the Navy and Air Force have been very substantial too. Seems to be a lot of discourse of the 'same old story' of government ignoring investing in new defense equipment, but I don't think the facts support that anymore.

Net overall taxes are substantially higher though so in the end taxes were increased, the canada child tax credit is nice but not really some stroke of genius just a tax credit to help offset the massive increase in the cost of living for parents. Most people I know aren't even considering having more than 2 kids due to cost, and is becoming more popular for people to have 1 or no kids.       

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Most people I know aren't even considering having more than 2 kids due to cost, and is becoming more popular for people to have 1 or no kids.       

The right is complaining about immigration due to there not being enough homes for existing residents.  Using that logic, slowing population growth due to birth would be a benefit, not a problem.

39 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The right is complaining about immigration due to there not being enough homes for existing residents.  Using that logic, slowing population growth due to birth would be a benefit, not a problem.

Is almost like the government of a country should put the needs of their citizens first over citizens of other countries, the ones that pay taxes so there can be a government. 

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Is almost like the government of a country should put the needs of their citizens first over citizens of other countries, the ones that pay taxes so there can be a government. 

Pathway for an immigrant to become a citizen is a lot shorter than the one for the baby to become an adult and start paying taxes.

• Cheers 2

It would be nice to see some math to back up the claim that the government isn't putting the needs of citizens 1st.

Like comparing the expenditures on immigrants vs the expenditures of citizens on things like social programs.  Or, what percentage of the governments budget goes for foreign aid and support for immigrants.  Like is it more, even, less, a fraction?

• Cheers 1

Mark Carney will head Liberal advisory task force

• Carney wades into politics

Former Bank of Canada and Bank of England leader Mark Carney is wading into politics.

He's been rumoured to be circling Justin Trudeau's Liberals for awhile and now he will chair a Liberal Party task force advising the government.

He will advise on how to “develop and shape ideas for the next phase of Canada’s strategy for near- and longer-term economic growth and productivity, building on the Liberal government’s work to strengthen the middle class and deliver lower costs for families,” a party press release said.

The Liberals are very likely be be defeated in an election that must be called between now and Oct 20, 2025. That vote should be the end of Trudeau and Carney is angling to be the next Liberal leader.

The Liberals also face a pair of by-elections on September 16 that could ramp up pressure on Trudeau to step down sooner.

There wasn't ever really doubt that Carney would wade into Canadian politics as it's long been rumoured. I'd bet on him winning the Liberal leadership after Trudeau as the Canadian media adores him despite his middling track record as a central banker.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pathway for an immigrant to become a citizen is a lot shorter than the one for the baby to become an adult and start paying taxes.

A pathway for citizens of this country to afford having children should be priority before anything else. 

But if all you care about is wage slaves so you can buy your $10 caramel macchiato bull shit from Starbucks or Timmys you do that.

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

A pathway for citizens of this country to afford having children should be priority before anything else. 

But if all you care about is wage slaves so you can buy your $10 caramel macchiato bull shit from Starbucks or Timmys you do that.

If you had only typed one sentence rather than two I might have agreed with you.  The unwarranted and spiteful chirp changed my mind a bit.

30 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/amid-concern-over-canadians-going-hungry-conservatives-criticized-for-voting-against-school-food-bill-1.6677679

Voting records indicate that there's one party actively trying to make this worse and it's not the Libs or the NDP.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

If you had only typed one sentence rather than two I might have agreed with you.  The unwarranted and spiteful chirp changed my mind a bit.

Eh, once considering the majority of the content the poster i was replying to posts themselves... 

I've decided not to feel too bad about it. I understand your sentiments though.

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/amid-concern-over-canadians-going-hungry-conservatives-criticized-for-voting-against-school-food-bill-1.6677679

Voting records indicate that there's one party actively trying to make this worse and it's not the Libs or the NDP.

How about we ask the question why so many children are turning to lunch programs to begin with? 

"Conservatives have suggested they rejected the bill due to it not addressing the pressing food price concerns Canadians have today, dismissing the suggestions their opposition to it is incompatible with their focus on constituents going hungry."

From the very article you posted. We should be looking to the root of the problem. Obviously it would be great to help all underprivileged children. Mind you I'm all for lunch programs but they aren't going to solve the root of the issues

So all the folks dumping on immigration. So are you ok with Canadian fruit and veggies skyrocketing in price because farm workers might have to be paid a living wage for the hard work? Seems funny when farms exploit farm workers everyone seems to be ok with immigrants. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So all the folks dumping on immigration. So are you ok with Canadian fruit and veggies skyrocketing in price because farm workers might have to be paid a living wage for the hard work? Seems funny when farms exploit farm workers everyone seems to be ok with immigrants. 

It's often thinly veiled racism.  Not saying it's the case in this thread though.

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

How about we ask the question why so many children are turning to lunch programs to begin with? 

"Conservatives have suggested they rejected the bill due to it not addressing the pressing food price concerns Canadians have today, dismissing the suggestions their opposition to it is incompatible with their focus on constituents going hungry."

From the very article you posted. We should be looking to the root of the problem. Obviously it would be great to help all underprivileged children. Mind you I'm all for lunch programs but they aren't going to solve the root of the issues

Sour grapes and a political dismissal of a solution for an existing problem in order to score some points and highlight other problems for which no real solutions have been suggested apart from axe the tax (which is not really a solution IMHO).

6 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Sour grapes and a political dismissal of a solution for an existing problem in order to score some points and highlight other problems for which no real solutions have been suggested apart from axe the tax (which is not really a solution IMHO).

Probably the most valuable lesson I've learned as an adult was to go to my boss with solutions instead of problems.  I'd really like our politicians to follow that principle.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The temporary foreign workers here to do farm work were a symbiotic relationship. Minimum wages in Canada provided for their whole family in Mexico, while having very low cost of housing here on the farms during warm seasons.

They were actually TEMPORARY and happy to go home when the short season is over, having earned more than they would at home for the WHOLE YEAR.

What Trudeau and the liberals have done is not temporary, and have misplaced Canadian workers, Homes, Health care and education resources.

And I am not talking about the Skilled Immigrants, or the Business Immigrants, who would normally Hire Canadians, but now they can hire from their own culture and displace those support workers.

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's often thinly veiled racism.  Not saying it's the case in this thread though.

Most Canadians would not be able to do the farm labor for 4 or 5 months but be able to sustain their housing and family over the next 7 or 8 months.

Thats why there was a demand for Temp workers. Its not racist, these new canadians also cannot do farm work for 3 or 4 seasons and survive. Difference is they are not going home, they are instead staying past their student visas, getting approved for work visas, and just wont leave.

Edited by EastCoastExpress

39 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

The "root" of the issue....hmm. There's a myriad of reasons groceries are so expensive. Profiteering, monopolies/lack of competition, climate change and Covid effecting crops and supply chains are probably some of the main ones. How many of those do you think the Cons are going to help with given they have grocery lobbyists on staff, have always been more pro-corporate, and seem to want to pretend climate change doesn't exist?

38 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm pro immigration in general. Particularly skilled workers, we need those folks. But let's not try to pretend we don't have immigration issues with diploma mills and corporations abusing the program to suppress wages for Canadian and exploit those TFW's in frequently awful working conditions and pay. I get it, coming out of Covid we had record low unemployment and retailers in particular SCREAMING about staff shortages. But we definitely overcorrected there.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The "root" of the issue....hmm. There's a myriad of reasons groceries are so expensive. Profiteering, monopolies/lack of competition, climate change and Covid effecting crops and supply chains are probably some of the main ones. How many of those do you think the Cons are going to help with given they have grocery lobbyists on staff, have always been more pro-corporate, and seem to want to pretend climate change doesn't exist?

I'm pro immigration in general. Particularly skilled workers, we need those folks. But let's not try to pretend we don't have immigration issues with diploma mills and corporations abusing the program to suppress wages for Canadian and exploit those TFW's in frequently awful working conditions and pay. I get it, coming out of Covid we had record low unemployment and retailers in particular SCREAMING about staff shortages. But we definitely overcorrected there.

Both really good points.

The Profiteering is being done in the middle, not by the grocers, or the producers & farmers, but by the distributors. The "wholesalers" have deals in place with the producers and farmers that they cannot sell to anyone else.

When I failed to get re-hired after Covid, I wanted to start a food truck and had two company brands I needed to get costing from for my business plan.

Even though I wanted high volume and willing to pick up the items, they advised me I had to get pricing and delivery from the distributors.

The Diploma mills also affected me getting my old IT jobs back. They have created new credentials around IT security and certain employers dodge TFW rules and standards by asking for specifically those Credentials. Gives them the excuse to hire someone for less than half my previous wages, and custom training provided by the "Canadian" college that is owned and run by people from India.

Edited by EastCoastExpress
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

It's not a solution though. It's just a bandaid. Look at food bank usage and how that's exploded in the last year or two. It's great that it's there to help people but the demand is only getting worse while more and more people rely on them. Without looking at what's causing peoples needs to rely on food banks we will never truly help these people. It's not any different when you look at lunch programs 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You do realize that there were lots of kids who weren't getting fed properly prior to the Covid-19 pandemic and the resulting world wide jump in inflation. 

Nope, can't feed kids until we tackle inflation.   Tell us how price fixing schemes like Loblaws is guilty of isn't a significant contributor to our current situation and what actual policies would "fix" this.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's a great question. Let me hit you with a question. After 9 years of liberal government. What have they done to combat rising food costs and associated costs to transportation of goods and such?

I understand where you are coming from but the liberals shouldn't get a pass here.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's not a solution though. It's just a bandaid. Look at food bank usage and how that's exploded in the last year or two. It's great that it's there to help people but the demand is only getting worse while more and more people rely on them. Without looking at what's causing peoples needs to rely on food banks we will never truly help these people. It's not any different when you look at lunch programs 

I am a block from a local food bank. The regular people I see were just regular reflection of our community, but now its very noticable its mostly new Canadians who are in the line-ups. And they all have nice looking vehicles instead of the previous folks who would have a cart to walk home with. I feel like this is racist, but I am just giving you the eye test.... and not ignoring what is happening. I feel bad for all the promises of how wonderful life in Canada can be for them.

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

You do realize that there were lots of kids who weren't getting fed properly prior to the Covid-19 pandemic and the resulting world wide jump in inflation. 

Nope, can't feed kids until we tackle inflation.   Tell us how price fixing schemes like Loblaws is guilty of isn't a significant contributor to our current situation and what actual policies would "fix" this.

So we just not even gonna ask why these kids aren't eating at home?

Let's just immediately throw money at the problem and not even bother into looking at the why and how? 

I also never said "can't feed the kids until we tackle inflation"...

What I said is that alone is not going to solve the problem 

• Cheers 1