Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

19 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Sounds great in theory, but the fact is, school lunch programs help kids who wouldn't normally get those meals. There are lots of other things that could be done, but the priority is making sure those kids get fed.

I can think of a thousand ways that the government spends my tax dollars.....and I'd cancel every one of them before I cancel school lunches.

I agree there are way way worse programs out there, I would love to see this one supplant something else. Like I said though if costs don't make sense, its better to just give additional government rebates to the poorest 10-20% of families. Then the kids may get to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If they are already receiving the government rebates the amount can be easily just increased for very little additional admin cost.    

Edited by Bure_Pavel

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I agree there are way way worse programs out there, I would love to see this one supplant something else. Like I said though if costs don't make sense, its better to just give additional government rebates to the poorest 10-20% of families. Then the kids may get to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If they are already receiving the government rebates the amount can be easily just increased for very little additional admin cost.    

Who says the costs don't make sense?

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Who says the costs don't make sense?

Maybe they do I have seen any data on this. If this is a national wide program with the current governments track record of rolling out programs in a not so cost effective manner, I'm not going to hold my breathe that they will be able to keep costs at an acceptable level. Just give the hungry kids the cash.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

54 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Some parents - luckily just some - can't be trusted to spend that proposed money on food for their kids.   

53 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I get where you're coming from, but I believe in a more targeted approach. Just giving rebates to poor folks, does not ensure that kids will eat. They call it "discretionary" income for a reason and if the parents decide it's more important to buy booze or drugs with that money, then the kids will go hungry.

That's what a real tax waste looks like.

Yeah its pretty sad there are parents out there like that, I couldn't ever imagine letting my kids go hungry while I spend that money on something else. A lot of this is tied to much bigger issues like addiction and social services.   

I believe this idea has been mentioned before. Many school districts in the lower mainland have a breakfast and lunch program, the money is raised through an organization called Starfish Backpack program. I've donated to the Maple Ridge school district. The only problem is that over the weekend, do these kids get fed?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I believe this idea has been mentioned before. Many school districts in the lower mainland have a breakfast and lunch program, the money is raised through an organization called Starfish Backpack program. I've donated to the Maple Ridge school district. The only problem is that over the weekend, do these kids get fed?

One of the sadder things about John Oliver's report was the statement by teachers that said, "these children are happy to go to school, because they know they'll be fed"....

Weekends are something kids are supposed to look forward to. Instead, Monday is the best day of their week....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

The Abbotsford Starfish program provides 400+ backpacks for each weekend.No child should go hungry, period. I don’t care what the reason is…

The Starfish Pack program would not be possible without the generosity of our community. Each week volunteers pack two breakfasts, two lunches, two dinners and healthy snacks into the backpacks for the weekend. Then, the packs are delivered to local elementary, middle, and high schools. With the help of teachers, administrators, youth workers, and Indigenous support workers, students leave school with a pack full of essentials for the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Some parents - luckily just some - can't be trusted to spend that proposed money on food for their kids.   

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I get where you're coming from, but I believe in a more targeted approach. Just giving rebates to poor folks, does not ensure that kids will eat. They call it "discretionary" income for a reason and if the parents decide it's more important to buy booze or drugs with that money, then the kids will go hungry.

That's what a real tax waste looks like.

Thanks was just going to post this.

53 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah its pretty sad there are parents out there like that, I couldn't ever imagine letting my kids go hungry while I spend that money on something else.

Heck, even if some parents choose to spend it on rent or keeping the lights on instead of booze or drugs, the kid still isn't eating. It targets a specific problem for a reason.

53 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

A lot of this is tied to much bigger issues like addiction and social services.   

Yes, things we can't afford to defund further with a Con government. It just ends up costing more in the long run (policing, court, medical, etc, etc)...glad you're coming around 😝

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That the cops are doing their job?

That this is the second person in roughly a month to be arrested for planning terror attacks and has ties to Isis...

People are right to be asking questions as to how these people are getting into our country so damn easily 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

That this is the second person in roughly a month to be arrested for planning terror attacks and has ties to Isis...

People are right to be asking questions as to how these people are getting into our country so damn easily 

they are in every G20 country and more. Its easy to lie on an application or hide your true beliefs. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Considering he was arrested. That would be a case of success not embarrassment? Same with the other one caught.

The US arrested 8 ISIS agents earlier this Summer too. We aren't unique in this.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

Considering he was arrested. That would be a case of success not embarrassment? Same with the other one caught.

The US arrested 8 ISIS agents earlier this Summer too. We aren't unique in this.

I mean, it's almost as if the Trudeau haters want to spin this as, "zomg, that turdope is personally letting in all deez terrorists and weakening our national security!  fuck durtope!"

I'd like to see how they spin it if/when their beloved CPC grand poobah takes the PM job and the police arrest other terror suspects.  It wouldn't surprise me if they end up busy shining his knob with their mouths raining down praises of how the CPC government led by pp foiled all these terror plots.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I mean, it's almost as if the Trudeau haters want to spin this as, "zomg, that turdope is personally letting in all deez terrorists and weakening our national security!  fuck durtope!"

I'd like to see how they spin it if/when their beloved CPC grand poobah takes the PM job and the police arrest other terror suspects.  It wouldn't surprise me if they end up busy shining his knob with their mouths raining down praises of how the CPC government led by pp foiled all these terror plots.  :classic_rolleyes:

I've been very mindful of using one time emotional cases and representing it as a systematic problem. I still remember back in the early 2000s some right wing scammer tried to prove how bad planned parenthood was by intentionally trying to lead his helper to bad advice and catching it on tape and one bad actor got the entire service defunded for his state and caused hundreds to lose out on social services.

Emotional appeal and conjecture bias (immigrants + bad actors/terrorists is higher probability than just normal immigrants because more stories are popping in the media ) is something I'm looking out for.

If the bug zapper I installed on my porch is zapping. I'm not gonna be angry at it for the presence of the flies.

Edited by DSVII
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

One of the sadder things about John Oliver's report was the statement by teachers that said, "these children are happy to go to school, because they know they'll be fed"....

Weekends are something kids are supposed to look forward to. Instead, Monday is the best day of their week....

Schools should be a safe place for children, if that involves taking care of their physical health in some small part by providing lunches than so be it. 

It's a lot less damaging to society as a whole to provide healthy lunches for students than for children to go hungry, because there are so many consequences that stem from malnutrition for children, and youth for that matter.

Most parents will try their best, but kids still won't always go to school with much, that was my personal scenario, I ate a good number of those brown bag lunches throughout the 90's and early 2000's.

Some parents can't be trusted to manage money unfortunately, someone else spoke to funds being allocated to bills such as rent and the like, it's hard out there.

Implement a meal program and you know there are food options available for needy children, this will help both the children themselves and ease some of the burden for lower income parents, or parents whose income in spread amongst multiple children (because sometimes it ain't that someone is low income, it's that dollars have to stretch further). 

It's hard to focus when you're hungry, it's harder to learn when you're hungry. 

Physical health is so important for children, and what goes into the mouth, and what happens with the mouth is so important. This is part of why I'm excited about a dental program being implemented, oral health affects most facets of one's overall physical health, children and lower income individuals being able to access dental care is so, so important. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, DSVII said:

My understanding is France tipped us off on the first dude and the U.S on the second. So it sounds like it wasn't even the Canadian government that figured them out. That absolutely is not a good look for us.

41 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Student Visa's don't have background checks which is absolutely insane to me

I didn't know that. Seems like an easy fix for some folks, but the real religious nutters will probably still get through.

Whatever we are doing to Identify them and arrest them seems to be effective. 

15 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

My understanding is France tipped us off on the first dude and the U.S on the second. So it sounds like it wasn't even the Canadian government that figured them out. That absolutely is not a good look for us.

We have shared info to the US on other occasions. 

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

This is starting to get embarrassing...

Why?  Because they arrested someone?  Because law enforcement is doing their jobs?

Yes... embarassing.  So much more so than if they committed an act if terror, which also would be the fault if the guy you are insinuating is at fault for this individual being in the country

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The question is which is the most cost effective method to feeding the children, the government has shown time and time again its inability to roll out a program like this in a cost effective manner. Would it be better to just keep more money in the consumers pockets to feed their own kids or additional government rebates to the poorest 20% of families? It is a great program in theory but can it be implemented without a massive government admin cost.    

So.  If the government is unable to correctly fund a program to feed kids.  Which by and large is a provincial matter, as education is provincial.

Then...with 8 of our provinces being run by conservatives now, how are kids going to be fed differently or more effectively if PP takes power?

More so, if they can't do something as simple as feeding kids, why should we believe that PP can fix the housing crisis when he already tried a decade ago and built like 20 units for half a billion dollars?

• Upvote 1