Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hip pointed out tho the one company buying up thousands of older units and jacking rents. Its predatory. 

I don't like it but I also want new buildings built.  It's a compromise I'm not particularly happy about making myself.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't like it but I also want new buildings built.  It's a compromise I'm not particularly happy about making myself.

It's different types of companies tho. I don't think putting restrictions on predatory activity will kill our development market.

But if it does, that's where co-ops can step up.

21 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Man wanted in sexual assault tried to grab child from mother at Scarborough pool: TPS

The Toronto Police Service (TPS) is searching for a man who allegedly tried to grab a child from their mother and sexually assaulted another youth while at a community centre swimming pool in Scarborough.

It’s alleged a man and the victims were in a community centre swimming pool when the suspect approached a child and tried to engage them in a conversation.

Police said the suspect grabbed the child and tried to pull them away, but the mother intervened.

The same man then approached a second child, struck up a conversation, and sexually assaulted the youth. He then fled in an unknown direction.

The man is described as 20-30 years old, with short black hair shaved on the side and a black beard. He was last seen wearing sunglasses, a Lionel Messi Argentina soccer jersey and black shorts.

image.thumb.png.85f45d2d811afdab3b5c9df6db32f12a.png

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/09/11/man-wanted-sexual-assault-child-scarborough-community-centre-pool/

These creeps are getting brazen...

Are you going to make every single minority who commits a crime a political issue?

• Cheers 1

So let me understand this. Grocery chain's buying up all the competition and gouging customers = corporate greed/gouging.

Rental investments buying up all the rentals and eliminating competition and jacking up rents is just "cost of doing business"?

That's definitely a take

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Are you going to make every single minority who commits a crime a political issue?

That's interesting. I never mentioned anything about minorities. I was merely pointing how brazen these creeps are becoming. His ethnicity isn't even mentioned in the article. But that's certainly an interesting leap for you to make there...

33 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

So let me understand this. Grocery chain's buying up all the competition and gouging customers = corporate greed/gouging.

Rental investments buying up all the rentals and eliminating competition and jacking up rents is just "cost of doing business"?

That's definitely a take

I think when something is clearly predatory and harmful to our society, that is the time for government to step in, regardless of the industry.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

nah we legistlate and/allow limits on all kinds of stuff. Taxi licenses e.g. 

I didn't realize the scale of it, 50,000 units? holy predatory. 

That's just ne company, there's literally dozens/tens of dozens of them totalling hundreds of thousands of rental units.

Here's the rub.  Some provinces label a rental unit as an actual complex, an entire apartment or rowhouse complex.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

That's definitely a take

Who suggested either was good or proper?

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Who suggested either was good or proper?

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who's supporting it? 🤨

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Single family houses should not be owned by corporations.  Large scale apartment buildings, no problem.

26 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Ok so one poster said it...you said "takes". And I mean generally development companies own large apartment developments and sell them off (or sometimes build them to own and rent). That's not new and I don't think you can/should put a stop to that. That's not really what the discussion is about IMO (developers vs large scale landlord corporations). I'm pretty that's what Hef was referring to there.  But like these large scale landlord corporations, I'd certainly be open to a discussion on legislating sensible limits on developers as well. I'm generally opposed to monopolies and predatory anti-competitive behavior as a rule. 

Edited by aGENT

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Since we're now using CBC as a viable source of info.

Something I have spoken of frequently and been told I was wrong has now been brought up nationally starting in Ontario.

The financialization of our housing sector by businesses and private/corporate enterprise.  This has been going on for almost 14 years and the numbers clearly show that a significant number of rental units are now being purchased in bulk numbers by these companies/corporations.

When a 20 unit development goes up for pre-sale and a single entitiy buys 12 of those units, they effectively control the price of rent in that unit and the surrounding area.

This is a huge problem and needs to be addressed immediately.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/financialized-landlord-higher-rents-canada-1.7307015

Khalil Alibi is facing his Goliath.

Starlight Investments is Canada's largest landlord, with more than 54,000 units nationwide and 68,000 globally. Starlight was granted approval by Ontario's Landlord and Tenant Board to raise the rent above provincial guidelines twice in the last two years. Alibi says this makes his unit no longer affordable for him. 

"They should not be allowed to get away with this. They just keep coming to take and take and take," he said.

Alibi, who lives with his wife and three children, says the rent for his three-bedroom unit is now $1,761 per month, up from $1,472 in December 2019, the year Starlight purchased the building. One-bedroom units that have since become vacant are starting at $2,428 a month.

Alibi says he has to fight back. 

He and dozens of other tenants from his and two adjacent buildings — including 71, 75 and 79 Thorncliffe Park Drive in north Toronto — have joined forces in a rent strike since May 2023 to protest the Above Guideline Increases (AGIs) after the second one was issued to tenants earlier that year. 

What Alibi and the others are going through is hardly an anomaly. According to data from Rentals.ca, rents have risen across Canada by 22 per cent in just two years.

Starlight Investments is also part of a growing trend across Canada: the "financialized landlord," whose business model allows outside investors to share in the profit of rental housing.

Some tenants and housing experts believe this model is leading to higher rents across Canada, as the pressure to increase shareholder value becomes the top priority and these companies expand their share of the country's rental stock.

Those aren’t stratified individual units. They are apartment rental buildings. They have nothing to do with the housing crisis for buyers. 

As for renters, it makes no difference whether Starlight Investments or Elias Pettersson owns the building. The renters will be paying market rent regardless who the owner is. 

Also, why is this dude complaining about paying $1761 for a 3 bedroom unit?  Are you kidding me?  That is a steal of a deal. 

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

We have to put a limit on predatory rentals, yes. Its too fundamental to a healty country to allow comanies to pick up 10's of thousands of units and then jack rents to extremes.

We have a lot of avenues we haven't ramped up. The idea of more development on gov't leasehold land (think False Creek in Vancovuer). More first nations development, agian for leasehold (some proejcts in north van do this) and rentals. 

Really push prefab home approvals, like that pre-approved list idea that came out last week.

We do not need predatory rental companies. 

Companies can’t jack up rents unless there is a demand for it.  The issue isn’t big bad corporations buying up apartment buildings. Somebody has to own them. The issue is inventory levels. Supply and demand. If there is more supply out there and less demand, rental rates would come down regardless who owns the buildings. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Single family houses should not be owned by corporations.  Large scale apartment buildings, no problem.

Agreed. And corporations for the most part don’t own single family homes. It’s not cost effective for them to do that. There is way more money to be made in apartment buildings and commercial property. 

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

It's different types of companies tho. I don't think putting restrictions on predatory activity will kill our development market.

But if it does, that's where co-ops can step up.

The issue with co-ops is that the owner, the corporation, can set their own rules. Most co-ops don’t allow rentals. Others have other restrictions in place. It’s more complicated to deal with. The government needs to change the rules on co-ops. 

IMO, what the government and developers need to do is put in place legislation to build rent to purchase homes. A renter can rent the place, have part of the rent go towards the principal and then give the renter the option to purchase at a later date. This would be beneficial to a large portion of the population who can’t currently purchase a home but don’t want to throw away their rent payment either. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Yup, I thought a number of corporations/companies (particularly in the US) have started to buy up trailer park home properties (and jacking up the 'rents') displacing many or all long term residents.

On 9/6/2024 at 2:51 PM, aGENT said:

Am I the only one failing to see the "gotcha" moment of a politician...politicking? 👀

Are we "pwning" water for being wet here? Just trying to figure this out 🤣

Very interesting comment.

So do you think this kind of interview is the norm for our politicians? (I haven't seen that as evident at all personally).

And do think this isn't even significant relative to how politics should ideally function? (If so I agree they deserve far more 'accountability')

My point was that she wasn't allowing their BS to slide as a top representative of a corporate network. It's a very small step but its refreshing to see that their are still people in positions of power atleast willing to actually go to the grindstone with these politicians from a non-partisan/fair & principled perspective. 

I guess the bar is just that low but it's where we are at so.. and if you don't believe me watch the mockery of our country that is question period. The WWE is more legitimate.

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Very interesting comment.

So do you think this kind of interview is the norm for our politicians? (I haven't seen that as evident at all personally).

And do think this isn't even significant relative to how politics should ideally function? (If so I agree they deserve far more 'accountability')

My point was that she wasn't allowing their BS to slide as a top representative of a corporate network. It's a very small step but its refreshing to see that their are still people in positions of power atleast willing to actually go to the grindstone with these politicians from a non-partisan/fair & principled perspective. 

I guess the bar is just that low but it's where we are at so.. and if you don't believe me watch the mockery of our country that is question period. The WWE is more legitimate.

Do I think politicians engage in politicking? Yes. 

Do I think she was "tough" on him. Yes.

Do I think she took a few to many turns editorializing to an apparent agenda? Yes.

Do I think she was non-partisan? No. 

Do I think we see this treatment to other politicians regularly? Not often.

Was there a "gotcha" moment? Not really.

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Companies can’t jack up rents unless there is a demand for it.  The issue isn’t big bad corporations buying up apartment buildings. Somebody has to own them. The issue is inventory levels. Supply and demand. If there is more supply out there and less demand, rental rates would come down regardless who owns the buildings. 

Nope the rates are predatory with these companies. It isn't an either-or situation, both things can be true and actual families are being hurt, and it's bad for the country.

We can discuss what theoretical future inventory might accomplish but right now predatory rent levels are happening.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The issue with co-ops is that the owner, the corporation, can set their own rules. Most co-ops don’t allow rentals. Others have other restrictions in place. It’s more complicated to deal with. The government needs to change the rules on co-ops. 

IMO, what the government and developers need to do is put in place legislation to build rent to purchase homes. A renter can rent the place, have part of the rent go towards the principal and then give the renter the option to purchase at a later date. This would be beneficial to a large portion of the population who can’t currently purchase a home but don’t want to throw away their rent payment either. 

Great idea. Why isn't Eby doing more of this?