Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Looks like issuing strike notice works, as Air Canada and the Pilots have a tentative agreement.

-coles notes- a bit more money overall, a 26% raise in year one- which is actually last year, plus an extra year to make a 4 year deal.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/travel/news/air-canada-pilot-strike-averted-as-tentative-deal-reached-with-union/ar-AA1qC0Lq?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=aa30491a7859474fa492492acac147d8&ei=38#comments

"

Air Canada and the union representing more than 5,200 pilots have reached a last-minute tentative deal in their labour dispute, averting a strike that could have disrupted travel plans for thousands of passengers.

In a statement on Sunday, Air Canada said that a new tentative, four-year agreement reached with the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) will be put to a ratification vote, which is expected to be completed over the next month.

------

"ALPA said the four-year deal provides pay raises, improves work rules and retirement benefits.

The terms of the preliminary agreement have not been publicly shared, but a source familiar with the details of the tentative deal tells Global News, pilots will get an approximately 41.7 per cent cumulative pay increase over four years.

The pay raise will back date to Sept. 30, 2023, with an average 26 per cent increase, followed by four per cent increments every year until 2026, the source said.

----------------------------------

bit more at link.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not true. I checked their history. Most of their money came from private equity investment.

Most, not all. And good for them, and the American taxpayer. 

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Telesat will be given over $2 billion of taxpayer money. How do we know their product will even work properly?  How do we know the government will stop at only $2 billion?  

Well, I'd say over 50 years of success can give you some confidence.

Why are you so desperate to give Elon the job? Nice for him and Americans who will benefit.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Most, not all. And good for them, and the American taxpayer. 

Well, I'd say over 50 years of success can give you some confidence.

Why are you so desperate to give Elon the job? Nice for him and Americans who will benefit.

We all know the reason some would rather sell out the country to a foreign company ran by an extremely unstable terrorist with severe mental issues instead of supporting Canadian business.    It's painfully obvious but sadly these people would rather sell out Canada to help support Nazi vermin like Musk.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We all know the reason some would rather sell out the country to a foreign company ran by an extremely unstable terrorist with severe mental issues instead of supporting Canadian business.    It's painfully obvious but sadly these people would rather sell out Canada to help support Nazi vermin like Musk.

Telesat is mostly owned by American corporations...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Looks like PP will carry on with the fear mongering campaign....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/carbon-pricing-to-cause-economic-nuclear-winter-poilievre-tells-his-mps/ar-AA1qBsXj?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=93af77f2c5ee43d2a00083f7e73cca1f&ei=34

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre signaled the Liberals' carbon price and the economy will remain his prime target when Parliament resumes this week.

He painted a dystopian picture during a Sunday morning speech to his caucus, saying the Liberal government’s plans to increase the price would cause a "nuclear winter" for the economy.

"There would be mass hunger and malnutrition with a tax this high … our seniors would have to turn the heat down to 14 or 13 C just to make it through the winter," Poilievre said.

"Inflation would run rampant and people would not be able to leave their homes or drive anywhere."

TBH, it's a bit embarrassing that Canadians believe this sort of nonsense.....:picard:

10 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Looks like PP will carry on with the fear mongering campaign....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/carbon-pricing-to-cause-economic-nuclear-winter-poilievre-tells-his-mps/ar-AA1qBsXj?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=93af77f2c5ee43d2a00083f7e73cca1f&ei=34

TBH, it's a bit embarrassing that Canadians believe this sort of nonsense.....:picard:

Worked for Vander Zalm.

30 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Seems like the go-to for conservative politicians....vote for me, or you'll end up living in a dystopian wasteland....:frantic:

But right now that's whats going on. For most people, even left leaning, Justin kinda sucks. Give us another option. I'm not voting conservative but a lot of other peeps I know are because they don't like him. Hardcore Liberals have to recognize this, but they won't. Give us another option

22 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

But right now that's whats going on. For most people, even left leaning, Justin kinda sucks. Give us another option. I'm not voting conservative but a lot of other peeps I know are because they don't like him. Hardcore Liberals have to recognize this, but they won't. Give us another option

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/rankings/quality-of-life

Sounds horrible.

1 minute ago, BabyCakes said:

Uhhh... sure cool.

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I never said things would be better with PP. I'm just saying people don't really like JT. The Liberal party has to come up with something else. They could be toast with the current leadership. Polls kinda say so. People here can ignore it but it's concerning for the Liberal party

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

I never said things would be better with PP. I'm just saying people don't really like JT. The Liberal party has to come up with something else. They could be toast with the current leadership. Polls kinda say so. People here can ignore it but it's concerning for the Liberal party

The Empties are saying the Liberals will follow the oath of the Democrats down south. Just when it looks like the other party might win the Liberals will change leaders to a super smart women. And then she will dominate and win in a landslide. 
of course Trudeau isn’t a fat assed moran so there is that to consider. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

Nothing to do with what I said.

Saying there will be "mass hunger and malnutrition" because of the Carbon Tax is fear mongering, full stop. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Seems like the go-to for conservative politicians....vote for me, or you'll end up living in a dystopian wasteland....:frantic:

And in some places (Alberta, Texas) they have been in charge and still fear monger that the left will make things worse and they are the only ones who can fix the mess that was their own doing. 

And then they don't fix it, but make things worse and somehow blame the left.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

People will be presented with some clear choices. PP will try to make it about hating Trudeau, and axing a tax that you really don't feel the effects of.

I'm hoping Carney can put forward a really compelling vision and plan that people can get behind, because we deserve much better than what PP is offering.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Telesat is mostly owned by American corporations...

The Canadian space industry did not transfer to Quebec by choice. The federal government mandated that move. My brother-in-law is in the industry and works for Telesat in Ottawa. He said that move sent many Canadians south to work at Nasa because they did not want to live in Quebec. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1