Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Thought I'd post this a little late to the party.  This is the ethics violation that was mentioned previously as a gotcha.  Unless he has more.

Fergus was found to have violated the act by writing a letter of support for a television channel's application to the CRTC for mandatory carriage.

Under parliamentary rules, MPs can write letters of support to the CRTC in support of an application, but parliamentary secretaries and cabinet ministers cannot. 

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6747767

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Thought I'd post this a little late to the party.  This is the ethics violation that was mentioned previously as a gotcha.  Unless he has more.

Fergus was found to have violated the act by writing a letter of support for a television channel's application to the CRTC for mandatory carriage.

Under parliamentary rules, MPs can write letters of support to the CRTC in support of an application, but parliamentary secretaries and cabinet ministers cannot. 

So, you can see from this 3xample why I am skeptical of the veracity of any "ethics commissioner" findings, like the vacation with the Agga Khan. It is not disputed that the Agga Khan is Trudeau's God Father. He was literally there at the young infants baptism, Justin's godfather and friend took him on vacations his whole life, bit now that he is PM it is an ethics violation? Get bent. I do my nephews favours all time my nieces too. I am not in violation of any ethics whatsoever. The whole office was invented by the Harper Government hinting towards non Christian developments in office. It is a social conservative construct.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

If you are referring to me, I certainly never acted in a gotcha. In fact, I think I posted it. Did I not? I wasn't making any sort of judgment. I just think maybe people know very little about him and just say they love the decision because he's a person of colour. It is wonderful We put a person of colour as a speaker of the house but I don't think that means we should ignore anything he or she may have done in their past.

6 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Thanks for that, I couldn't figure out what they were talking about, I didn't remember any ethics violations...turns out it was nothing of a burger at all.

Somewhat of a nothing burger imo but an ethics violation nonetheless. I have a feeling that you actually know very little about the individual.

6 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

So, you can see from this 3xample why I am skeptical of the veracity of any "ethics commissioner" findings, like the vacation with the Agga Khan. It is not disputed that the Agga Khan is Trudeau's God Father. He was literally there at the young infants baptism, Justin's godfather and friend took him on vacations his whole life, bit now that he is PM it is an ethics violation? Get bent. I do my nephews favours all time my nieces too. I am not in violation of any ethics whatsoever. The whole office was invented by the Harper Government hinting towards non Christian developments in office. It is a social conservative construct.

You know at any time since 2015 the liberals could have changed this right? So the fact they didn't. Does that make them social conservatives or is that they think it's right to have an accountability act? I imagine you're in a far different role than an elected official. It makes it far more difficult for them to help because unfortunately people aren't as honorable as say you might be.

Edited by Ryan Strome

9 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Good to see a First Nations Premier for the first time in Canadian history.  Couldn't have happened to a better province.

9 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Wab Kinew!!!!!!

9 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Pushing all the right buttons in his victory speech.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Congrats to Manitoba’s newly elected NDP Premier! 

Quite a historic moment. I feel like it deserves its own thread. Obviously, Canadian politics thread would most likely be slamming, liberals and conservatives when this is a very positive time in the history of our nation

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

What's all this hooplah around this online media legislation? It seems to be restricting access to news sources via facebook/IG etc.

They have to register with the government so doesn't really make it free speech anymore because it can clearly just get rejected. It's kind of like the state decides what can be released and what can't be. Just think of what other nations do that sort of stuff..

13 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

What's all this hooplah around this online media legislation? It seems to be restricting access to news sources via facebook/IG etc.

Nope, it's the companies restricting access because they don't want to pay Canadian news outlets for their content

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

They have to register with the government so doesn't really make it free speech anymore because it can clearly just get rejected. It's kind of like the state decides what can be released and what can't be. Just think of what other nations do that sort of stuff..

Only podcasts making more than $10 million in annual income have to register I believe

47 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Quite a historic moment. I feel like it deserves its own thread. Obviously, Canadian politics thread would most likely be slamming, liberals and conservatives when this is a very positive time in the history of our nation

Very historic indeed. So was the first female one before him. 

It’s sufficient if it stays in this thread however. 

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

How does it restrict freedom of speech?  Which we don't actually have in Canada.

Yes, we actually do. However, hate speech is against the law as it should be. 

Well just think for example if one has to register with the government similar to Russia or North Korea or say China than the government could just say no. You know if their sole purpose is to criticize the government..

Whether or not you like the media outlets or the podcast is irrelevant just like if I like it or not. But if we can't hold our politicians to account because the government might decide well, we don't want to hear from them then. It's really not very transparent is it? 

The rebel Media thing all over again. We aren't taking your questions. We're only going to take questions from the media we trust lol.

Edited by Ryan Strome

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

How does it restrict freedom of speech?  Which we don't actually have in Canada.

I keep seeing people say that Canada doesn't have free speech. Could you explain it to me? As an American I understand our right of free speech, but am unfamiliar with Canada's. 

I think perhaps this is where this particular disconnect is happening; people having differing versions of what constitutes free speech.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yes, we actually do. However, hate speech is against the law as it should be. 

Well just think for example if one has to register with the government similar to Russia or North Korea or say China than the government could just say no. You know if their sole purpose is to criticize the government..

Whether or not you like the media outlets or the podcast is irrelevant just like if I like it or not. But if we can't hold our politicians to account because the government might decide well, we don't want to hear from them then. It's really not very transparent is it? 

The rebel Media thing all over again. We aren't taking your questions. We're only going to take questions from the media we trust lol.

Do tv and radio stations have to register with the crtc?

1 minute ago, StrayDog said:

I keep seeing people say that Canada doesn't have free speech. Could you explain it to me? As an American I understand our right of free speech, but am unfamiliar with Canada's. 

I think perhaps this is where this particular disconnect is happening; people having differing versions of what constitutes free speech.

You have free speech in Canada. Hate speech however, is against the law. So for example you can walk up to a police officer and tell him or her to fu(k off without fear of any retaliation, however, you cannot disparage people and run them down in racial ways, which seems to me to be a very good law to have in place.