Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

meh, byelections often see seats lost for the majority party. What I found interesting is the CPC didn't pick one up. 

What I find interesting is the CON share of the vote in Montreal's LaSalle-Emard-Verdun riding was just 11.6%, that seems like it should be its own headline. Poilievre is supposed to be the crown prince and heir in waiting to the Prime Ministers seat in Canada but he couldn't get 12% of voters to support his candidate?

Meanwhile the Liberal lost by 248 votes, half of which showed up in the final 3 polls that reported. I suspect a recount may occur as the difference was only 0.8%. Wont change the optics though, and likely won't change the winner. 

Side note: that BS protest of putting 80 independants on teh ballot made a difference: roughly 500 voters opted for one of those 80 guys each. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

What I find interesting is the CON share of the vote in Montreal's LaSalle-Emard-Verdun riding was just 11.6%, that seems like it should be its own headline. Poilievre is supposed to be the crown prince and heir in waiting to the Prime Ministers seat in Canada but he couldn't get 12% of voters to support his candidate?

Quebec voters have always been the smartest voters in the country imo. They know where their bread is buttered. I can't recall the last time they made a choice that didn't benefit them. 

They know Skippy is full of merde. 

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Meanwhile the Liberal lost by 248 votes, half of which showed up in the final 3 polls that reported. I suspect a recount may occur as the difference was only 0.8%. Wont change the optics though, and likely won't change the winner. 

Side note: that BS protest of putting 80 independants on teh ballot made a difference: roughly 500 voters opted for one of those 80 guys each. 

I'm really starting to wonder if JT isn't looking at a Lib-Bloc future of some sort... 

We can't afford more of what the Lib-NDP alliance did, as much as I approve of the aspirational ideas, there's just no way to pay for it all right now. We really need to take a break on some of that and re-focus on the economy. I'm not saying cut back, just maybe no more new programs for a couple of years until we've got the economy humming. 

• ThereItIs 1

Justin Trudeau will let the Conservatives try to topple his minority government next week: sources

Tuesday, September 17, 2024. 4:32 PM PDT

The Conservatives have been informed by the Liberal House leader they will be able to set the parliamentary agenda on Tuesday with a vote the following day. At that time, Conservatives and their Leader Pierre Poilievre, who has vowed to trigger an election at the earliest opportunity, could call for the defeat of the government.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s a good summary OP.  The concerning factor for the Liberals is they have very little support among the under 30 crowd.  Almost half of the NDP.  The over 60 crowd will eventually die off unfortunately.  So the future does not look good for the Liberals at the moment.

If the Liberals are not careful they could lose even the official opposition status at some point in the future.  I mean the Liberal party was completely wiped out in BC.  PP is a relatively young guy.  He could be around a long time.  I suspect the NDP will get a new leader soon who is younger as well.  Trudeau is still young for a politician but could be gone in less than a year.  I don’t see any young Liberal MP who could take over for the Liberals who is a game changer.  

To me, the Liberals look like they are in the exact spot as they were in the early 2000’s after Chrétien and Martin were gone.  Took them over a decade to find a young Trudeau.  Who will be the next young Trudeau for the Liberals?

The Liebels were absolutely desperate when they grabbed onto Justin. I think the party brass thought they could tell him what to do and he ignored them. The Boomers I know won't be voting Liberal. They are upset about no healthcare and that the streets are not safe. Basic stuff for them. 

• Cheers 1

When all is said and done and the real Election period arrives, a lot of middle ground voters who poll towards Poilievre between elections, will have to decide if the guy who will never allow a ranked ballot election reform is better than the guy who would love it if the other parties could agree to it. They will have to decide if the government who eradicated Drinking Water Advisories in 140+ first nations reserves may be better to stick with than the party that allowed those reserves to fall into such a state of disrepair and neglect that almost 150 of the First Nations couldn't drink water in their own communities unless it was trucked into town in bottles. They will have to decide if bumping seniors income subsidies up and up and up again for the most at risk among our elders and keeping it there is better than axing the tax and making seniors go back to the poverty levels they 'enjoyed' under Harper. 
I think this is good idea, allowing an opposition day so clear and early in this sitting. It leaves it to both Jagmeet Swing and the Blochead to decide if there will be an election or not. Both are currently looking at losing seats by the polls, but neither can really say they won't lose them in a year anyways. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Liebels were absolutely desperate when they grabbed onto Justin. I think the party brass thought they could tell him what to do and he ignored them. The Boomers I know won't be voting Liberal. They are upset about no healthcare and that the streets are not safe. Basic stuff for them. 

so they are mad at Trudeau for two mostly provincial issues?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Justin Trudeau will let the Conservatives try to topple his minority government next week: sources

Tuesday, September 17, 2024. 4:32 PM PDT

The Conservatives have been informed by the Liberal House leader they will be able to set the parliamentary agenda on Tuesday with a vote the following day. At that time, Conservatives and their Leader Pierre Poilievre, who has vowed to trigger an election at the earliest opportunity, could call for the defeat of the government.

might as well get it out of the way now. 

Edited by Bob Long

45 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Boomers I know won't be voting Liberal. They are upset about no healthcare

On this, your Boomer acquaintances have their emotions placed on the wrong target.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

so they are mad at Trudeau for two mostly provincial issues?

^ this, @Boudrias

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

I'm really beginning to think that a part of our population just can not get past J.T.'s hairstyle.

Seems unreasonable to me, to be that against a hairstyle.

I think it's moreso because they couldn't (and can no longer) take it out on the Rt. Hon.'s father, the Rt. Hon. PET, they've decided to take it out on his son.

I wonder if "fuck trudeau" flags were a thing in the 70s?  🤔

Though I don't think they had truck nuts back then.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sapper said:

This is the kinda of cowardly and gutless hate and fear mongering Pee Pee has created 

the Klown Konvoy Klub of PP is a disgrace

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/9.6512311

this part is so weird: As Singh turns around, one of the protesters is heard saying, "With that aggression is that why you're choosing war with Russia?"

How deep has Russian propoganda got into the CPC base? holy crap.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

this part is so weird: As Singh turns around, one of the protesters is heard saying, "With that aggression is that why you're choosing war with Russia?"

How deep has Russian propoganda got into the CPC base? holy crap.

Russia and China have deeply invested in campaigns to  influence  support of Trump and PP

Both are nationalists which greatly enrich and empower the communist regimes global agenda.  They have become dewr friends and allies to the communist countries including North Korea 

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Boomer here. I was quite impressed with my healthcare this past few days.

On Friday, I called my GP, because I had an eye infection. He was not seeing patients that day, because his staff were all out sick. However, when I told him my problem, he told me to come in within the next hour or so.

After a quick examination, he decided that I needed to see the Optometrist. He called them while I was sitting there and they agreed to see me right away. After giving me a prescription for eye drops, the Optometrist called the Ophthalmologist office in Terrace (1-1/2 hours away) and got me an appointment for Monday morning.

Today, I dropped off my prescription for another type of eye drops to go with the first. I paid a small fee for the prescriptions, but none of the other visits cost me a penny....

I dunno, sounds like @Boudrias's Boomer buddies are bearing with a bad situation that leaves them with no healthcare whatsoever.  Maybe they need to move to the North Coast?

14 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Russia and China have deeply invested in campaigns to  influence  support of Trump and PP

Both are nationalists which greatly enrich and empower the communist regimes global agenda.  They have become dewr friends and allies to the communist countries including North Korea 

You'd think the "do your own research" gang wouldn't want to help Putin... But then again maybe that's who they really are.

As optimist pointed out above, Justin is daring them to force an election.... makes me wonder what we will be hearing about Skippy over the next week.

Edited by Bob Long

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I missed this at first scan: these numbers have been collected for 20 years now. The AGE 60+ demographic is growing and growing due to longer lives and better education and health levels. Also, while an old person dies, the demo before them has another one age into the 60+. People aren't life long party members in Canada. We change our opinions as new data arrives, generally, because I think Canadians have a little more critical thinking skills than our southern neighbours whose education system has been under attack for generations now. 

IMO, the older you get the more conservative you get. Not the other way around. I don’t know too many people who go from right wing to left wing in their 60’s after they’d made all their money. 

12 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Ok, despite my thoughts on Singh as a leader, this was pretty entertaining to watch. The heckler just folded like a lawn chair in less than a second.

image.png.6334fea47a1df2068e2ac3cf3e9941f7.png

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp-jagmeet-singh-parliament-protesters-video-1.7326073

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.6512311

I'm not out to berate you because this was posted earlier.  That happens.  I just think it's funny that when it was posted before by a 'centerist' poster the video was captioned 'Jagmeet Singh completely SNAPS and tries to fight a CONSERVATIVE PROTESTOR'.

I agree those two were pretty wimpy unless Jag's back was turned.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 3

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Does Jagmeet want to be the next Prime Minister or the next MMA heavyweight champion?  🤣

Honestly, the crap politicians have to put up with.

I disagree with the X header though.  Singh didn't "snap".  He simply turned around and confronted some idiot who was swearing at him.

I actually thought his actions were pretty cool.  Dangerous, but cool.