Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

What I find interesting is the CON share of the vote in Montreal's LaSalle-Emard-Verdun riding was just 11.6%, that seems like it should be its own headline. Poilievre is supposed to be the crown prince and heir in waiting to the Prime Ministers seat in Canada but he couldn't get 12% of voters to support his candidate?

Meanwhile the Liberal lost by 248 votes, half of which showed up in the final 3 polls that reported. I suspect a recount may occur as the difference was only 0.8%. Wont change the optics though, and likely won't change the winner. 

Side note: that BS protest of putting 80 independants on teh ballot made a difference: roughly 500 voters opted for one of those 80 guys each. 

The Liberals won that riding by almost 10,000 votes in 2021. The CONS actually doubled their votes from 2021. Let’s not be disingenuous by claiming the CONS should even had a chance there. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m sure they knew if they even took one step forward at Jagmeet the cops who were 5 feet away would have arrested them. 

I’d like to see Jagmeet act that tough when his security detail isn’t around. 

Considering he's trained in martial arts, I wouldn't recommend testing that theory yourself.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1

I would like to talk about something that we all realize - the dangers of social media. No, I'm not talking about stranger danger. I'm talking about disinformation and the 'talk' from people who have no interest in talking evidence. They are politic pushers, if you will.

I've seen a shocking number of pro-Putin type posts. They generally raise the alarm about Chinese interference while significantly downplaying American and/or Russian ones.

Regardless of where you stand on the political spectrum, I urge you to keep the country and its people in mind. There are traitors out there. If we hope to flourish during this period, all Canadians (and non-Canadians living here) must work together. I don't have any solutions at the moment, but we have to get back to trusting each other again, which is a HARD ASK at this point. We have all been pushed into distrusting 'the other side'.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m sure they knew if they even took one step forward at Jagmeet the cops who were 5 feet away would have arrested them. 

You don’t think he has his security detail around him at all times? To me the security detail seemed to be standing back for the most part.

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

People need to leave the politicians alone so they can do their jobs. I wonder how these two morans would react if a couple idiots showed up at their work and acted stupid like that towards them? 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Game theory, both sides know the first one to attack loses out (Jagmeet through lawsuits/optic, the heckler from being pummeled by cops)

It's just a bad reflection on the guy's convictions that he shrank back so hard and deflected responsibility. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

Game theory, both sides know the first one to attack loses out (Jagmeet through lawsuits/optic, the heckler from being pummeled by cops)

It's just a bad reflection on the guy's convictions that he shrank back so hard and deflected responsibility. 

Like all those Klown Konvoy idiots and their little pen*#s.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

People need to leave the politicians alone so they can do their jobs. I wonder how these two morans would react if a couple idiots showed up at their work and acted stupid like that towards them? 

Once apon a time- 

Used to have one dude deliberately trash the forward lounge on a ship I worked. -repeatedly. EVERY FUCKING trip he was on.

The look on his face when I showed up in his office and started dumping my garbage bag on his floor and desk.-That look will stay in my mind forever-hopefully.

He got a lot more respectful/cleaner  when he got onboard after that.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

IMO, the older you get the more conservative you get. Not the other way around. I don’t know too many people who go from right wing to left wing in their 60’s after they’d made all their money. 

You can be conservative financially but not socially. You don't need to go Archie Bunker.

This belongs more appropriately in the BC Politics thread, but since the question was raised:

Elections B.C. rejects 'New Liberal Party of B.C.' name proposal

Former federal cabinet minister says party is needed for those left 'orphaned' by collapse of B.C. United

The Canadian Press · Posted: Sep 17, 2024 2:46 PM PDT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
A man with white hair and a round face with a hint of a smile poses in front of a Canadian flag in this head-and-shoulders shot.
Former federal Natural Resources Minister Herb Dhaliwal wants to register a new political party in B.C. ahead of the upcoming provincial election. (Canadian Press)

The suspension of B.C. United's election campaign left centrist voters in British Columbia "orphaned," and a new provincial party under the Liberal brand is needed, says former federal cabinet minister Herb Dhaliwal. 

Dhaliwal, who served in the House of Commons in Ottawa for more than a decade in multiple federal Liberal government cabinet positions, said Tuesday that he wants to revive a Liberal party for those left politically homeless after the B.C. United collapse in favour of the B.C. Conservative Party.

B.C. United used to be known as the B.C. Liberals before rebranding in 2023, in part because the party had no formal affiliation with the federal Liberals. 

But Dhaliwal said the party served a similar purpose as the federal Liberals, providing a centrist option for voters which no longer exists.

"There are lots of people, they're not interested in voting for either, so they feel betrayed, and they feel orphaned by what's happened," Dhaliwal said Tuesday, referring to the B.C. United Party. and the B.C. Conservative Party, which is also not affiliated with the federal Conservatives.

Dhaliwal said he wants to build a new party for moderate and centrist voters under the name "New Liberal Party of B.C." in time for the election on Oct. 19, but Elections B.C. has rejected the name due to its potential to confuse voters. 

Dhaliwal said in a written statement released Tuesday that the former B.C. Liberal Party that rebranded as B.C. United was doomed by a "backroom deal" with the B.C. Conservative Party, leaving moderate voters without a "preferred political choice on the ballot." 

"I personally don't think it's good for British Columbia to have this, you know, extreme right and left," he said in an interview. "This polarization of politics is not good for British Columbia or for the country."

A composite of two men in suits.
A composite of B.C. Premier and NDP Leader David Eby, left, and B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad. The two men are the leading contenders to become the next premier of B.C. following the collapse of the Opposition B.C. United Party. (Justine Boulin, Ethan Cairns/CBC)

Dhaliwal, who left his Vancouver-area riding in 2004, said Leader Kevin Falcon's suspension of the B.C. United campaign "betrayed" supporters, and the province risks returning to a "dysfunctional" state of "polarizing right versus left combat."

"Many times people have asked me to come back into politics, and I've said No," Dhaliwal said.

But in this situation, where I think we're going in really a wrong direction, I felt it was necessary for someone to try to do something about it." 

Dhaliwal said he hopes Elections B.C. will allow a new party under the name "New Liberal Party of B.C." because Kevin Falcon's B.C. United Party dissociated from the "Liberal" brand when it changed its name. 

Dhaliwal, through lawyer Joven Narwal, has asked Elections B.C. to reconsider the rejection of the name. 

In a letter to the agency dated Sept. 13, Narwal told elections officials that adding "not associated with B.C. United" or a similar phrase to the ballot could avoid "any conceivable confusion in the minds of voters."

Voter confusion must be avoided: Elections B.C.

Elections B.C. communications director Andrew Watson said Tuesday that the provincial Elections Act prohibits parties from registering if the chief electoral officer believes "its name is likely to be confused with a currently registered political party, a party that has a registration application currently pending, or a party that was registered at any time during the past 10 years." 

Watson said the bracketed phrases proposed by those seeking to register the "New Liberal Party of B.C." to avoid confusion with B.C. United and the former B.C. Liberal Party still don't make the cut. 

"It's really, really important that voters have no doubt about which party they're voting for when they go to mark a ballot and that there's no possibility for voter confusion," Watson said. "These rules have been in place for a long time in B.C. elections."

Dhaliwal said he's hoping the party name issue can be resolved with the election looming in just over a month.

He declined to reveal who he would want to lead the new party, saying it would be "premature" as they await word from Elections B.C. 

"We think this is best for British Columbia," he said. "That's why we're making an effort. You know, it's better to try to do something then later on regret, why didn't we do anything about it? Why didn't we try it? We're trying. 

"We'll see what happens. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, well, that's part of life," he said. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/new-liberal-party-british-columbia-herb-dhaliwal-1.7326147

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is anyone running for the Liberal party in the next election?

Federally..? 🤨 Yeah, pretty sure there are.

The provincial BC "Liberals" were never remotely anything to do with the federal Liberal party. They were basically the BC Conservative Party in everything but name. You know that, right?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, aGENT said:

Federally..? 🤨 Yeah, pretty sure there are.

The provincial BC "Liberals" were never remotely anything to do with the federal Liberal party. They were basically the BC Conservative Party in everything but name. You know that, right?

I wasn't referring to the Federal Liberals.  The BC Liberal party was completely wiped out.  We now have Conservative and NDP, that's it.  No middle ground.  I know the BC Liberals were not affiliated with the Federal Liberals, but they were a centrist party for the most part.  Or are you of the opinion that they were right wing?

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wasn't referring to the Federal Liberals.  The BC Liberal party was completely wiped out.  We now have Conservative and NDP, that's it.  No middle ground.  I know the BC Liberals were not affiliated with the Federal Liberals, but they were a centrist party for the most part.  Or are you of the opinion that they were right wing?

YES they were. Including the PC leader Rustad, the BC United leader Falcon, and the 4 remaining BC United members running as independents, who were part of that gang. They were Liberal in name only, so don't give me that centrist party nonsense. 

Edited by Johngould21
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

YES they were. Including the PC leader Rustad, the BC United leader Falcon, and the 4 remaining BC United members running as independents, who were part of that gang. They were Liberal in name only, so don't give me that centrist party nonsense. 

Rustad isn't a progressive consecutive.

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OK, but you brough it up while discussing the federal Liberal party in the federal politics thread... so....

They certainly had more centre-leaning rights/moderates than the BC Cons presently do (leadership included), but yeah they were the "conservative" or "right" party in BC back before that meant you had to be an anti-science, regressive social policy nut bar to be considered right/conservative.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d like to see Jagmeet act that tough when his security detail isn’t around

Do you know how hard it is to get a BJJ blackbelt? 

Jag would have turned the lardasses into pretzels. 

Respect for him there, whoever called him that didnt have the stones to fess up, he was right that the person was a coward. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The CONS actually doubled their votes from 2021.

Actually they did not. I dunno why you keep demanding that made up things are facts. In 2021 the CONS got 3,738 votes in what is now LaSalle–Émard–Verdun  . Last night they got 3,676 votes which is...drum roll please..... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdrdrdrdrdrddrdrdrdrd....badoosh! 62 votes less than last time. But you keep telling yourself they got double the vote, it will help maintain the illusion for you and that is probably best. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Actually they did not. I dunno why you keep demanding that made up things are facts. In 2021 the CONS got 3,738 votes in what is now LaSalle–Émard–Verdun  . Last night they got 3,676 votes which is...drum roll please..... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdrdrdrdrdrddrdrdrdrd....badoosh! 62 votes less than last time. But you keep telling yourself they got double the vote, it will help maintain the illusion for you and that is probably best. 

I was actually referring to the percentage.  CONS got only 7.45% of the vote in 2021 with 47,360 people voting.  This year got 11.59% of the vote with only 31,711 people voting.

You can spin this any way you want and you can take the win for having the numbers correct, but at the end of the day this was a major defeat for the Liberal party whether you want to believe it or not...

37 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Do you know how hard it is to get a BJJ blackbelt? 

Jag would have turned the lardasses into pretzels. 

Respect for him there, whoever called him that didnt have the stones to fess up, he was right that the person was a coward. 

Jagmeet has a black belt in BJJ?  Haha, I didn't know that.  No wonder he was so unhinged.  He better get his act together, because he could land himself in jail one day if he bites at someone mouthing him off...