Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdrdrdrdrdrddrdrdrdrd....badoosh!

As a guy just finishing his soundproof drum room I commend you on a well translated to text...'buzz roll, some flams, to a cymbal and bass drum hit to crescendo'

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I was actually referring to the percentage.  CONS got only 7.45% of the vote in 2021 with 47,360 people voting.  This year got 11.59% of the vote with only 31,711 people voting.

You can spin this any way you want and you can take the win for having the numbers correct, but at the end of the day this was a major defeat for the Liberal party whether you want to believe it or not...

doubled their votes

Words matter man. Most of my issues with the right wing right now both in the US and Canada is the hyperbole is incredibly inflated and rhetoric is over the top. Doubled their votes doesn't mean doubling their percentage of the vote. And if it maybe did mean that: or you managed to say the correct words to describe the thing you were trying to convey: they still didn't double their vote percentage either. Shrug. I am not spinning anything I was telling you that the cons did not double their vote, they got less votes. If you meant they doubled their vote share: they still did not even double their vote share. Shrug. The valid points you do make, and you make a lot of good points over time here, I have never denied it, but those good points are wasted when you couple them with garbage. Just my opinion. If you have facts and events that are solidly backing your position; why muddy up your position with incorrect and bloated hyperbole? Rhetorical question, no need to answer it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

As a guy just finishing his soundproof drum room I commend you on a well translated to text...'buzz roll, some flams, to a cymbal and bass drum hit to crescendo'

I was a percussionist in high school band. ; p

also: grats on having a drums room and insulating it, that takes commitment. 

I am looking for a cheap electric base so I can learn a bit on it. I have dreams of being a late in life Les Claypool/Gail Ann Dorsey love child. hahaha

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jagmeet has a black belt in BJJ?  Haha, I didn't know that.  No wonder he was so unhinged.  He better get his act together, because he could land himself in jail one day if he bites at someone mouthing him off...

Yeah, dont mess with Jag,

I dont want him to stoop to their level but what did that coward call him? a commie?

Something awesome about being put in your place by a famous politician wearing a bright pink turban that could whoop you sideways.

From your earlier post about him trying to be a fighter...did you hear Conor Mcgregor is thinking about running for Prez of Ireland?

So, he can be both🙂

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

YES they were. Including the PC leader Rustad, the BC United leader Falcon, and the 4 remaining BC United members running as independents, who were part of that gang. They were Liberal in name only, so don't give me that centrist party nonsense. 

Gordon Campbell was a right wing nut job?  Since when?  He was a schoolteacher.  Ujjal Dosanjh?  Was he also a right wing nut job?  That's like saying Ken Sim is a right wing nut job, who also came from the same background as Gordon Campbell.  Gordon Campbell was very similar to Jean Chretien and Paul Martin in policy.  We had a right wing party in BC.  It was the Social Credit party.  It was dissolved a long time ago and the more "moderates" formed the BC Liberal party.  The right wingers went over to the Reform party...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I was a percussionist in high school band. ; p

also: grats on having a drums room and insulating it, that takes commitment. 

I am looking for a cheap electric base so I can learn a bit on it. I have dreams of being a late in life Les Claypool/Gail Ann Dorsey love child. hahaha

It's taking a bit of work.

plywood, rockwool, vapour seal, sonopan soundproof boards, more plywood.

I'm on a couple acres so Im not too worried about neighbours, but I want it to also double as a recording studio....isolation booth.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, dont mess with Jag,

I dont want him to stoop to their level but what did that coward call him? a commie?

Something awesome about being put in your place by a famous politician wearing a bright pink turban that could whoop you sideways.

From your earlier post about him trying to be a fighter...did you hear Conor Mcgregor is thinking about running for Prez of Ireland?

So, he can be both🙂

Yeah, I heard that.  That would be funny if he won.  Now we have to see that Charles dude again try and win another fight.  He's like totally finished IMO.  Chandler will take him easily...

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gordon Campbell was a right wing nut job?  Since when?  He was a schoolteacher.  Ujjal Dosanjh?  Was he also a right wing nut job?  That's like saying Ken Sim is a right wing nut job, who also came from the same background as Gordon Campbell.  Gordon Campbell was very similar to Jean Chretien and Paul Martin in policy.  We had a right wing party in BC.  It was the Social Credit party.  It was dissolved a long time ago and the more "moderates" formed the BC Liberal party.  The right wingers went over to the Reform party...

A lot of NDP folks hate Sim, not sure why. 

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

School teachers can’t be right wing morans? 

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gordon Campbell was a city slicker.  Any political party he ran under was only a tool for him to use (imho).  Liberal banner was convenient to get the votes in urban areas.

Again, imho

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gordon Campbell followed Margaret Thatcher's tactics closely. His coal miners where the health care workers in HEU and with glee he carried out the largest mass lay off of women in our countries history and went further in privatization than nearly any other province in Canada 

We can agree to disagree if he was a nut job ......but he definately was far right politically and the facts hold that to be true 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Gordon Campbell followed Margaret Thatcher's tactics closely. His coal miners where the health care workers in HEU and with glee he carried out the largest mass lay off of women in our countries history and went further in privatization than nearly any other province in Canada 

We can agree to disagree if he was a nut job ......but he definately was far right politically and the facts hold that to be true 

I've seen a lot written about the cuts, I haven't seen much on whether or not the quality of care was actually worse. If you have a link like that I'd like to read it.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I've seen a lot written about the cuts, I haven't seen much on whether or not the quality of care was actually worse. If you have a link like that I'd like to read it.

She had this nickname that Labor party used ... something like "Maggie Maggie the milk snatcher".  Think it had something to do with cutting free milk to school kids when she was minister of something 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gordon Campbell’s wife was a principal/teacher, I didn’t know he was. Ujjal Dosanjh, was an NDP premier for a short time. Gordon Campbell tore up legal and binding contracts of Provincial workers, which should never be forgotten, as well he privatized care homes in the Province. That’s not right wing enough? I don’t think I’ve called either of these guys nut jobs. The party changed their name from Social Credit to Liberal under Gordon Campbell if I’m not mistaken. The Campbell government also spent 15 or so years in Court, the BC Supreme Court, and the Canadian Supreme Court fighting the BCTF over class size. They lost!

Edited by Johngould21
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Isabelle Mackenzie the seniors advocate before she retire issue a few reports - the quality in care in private it for profit was less than public ... The residents life quality is less in private funded sites and the staffing crisis was caused by the lower wages especially for care staff as most care aides and nurses in privatised care are just waiting till the public job opened and left ( casual retention is difficult )

For hospital services they sold laundry to kbro who trucked it to Alberta for some time 

For kitchens the food quality was poor ( ask anyone who ate the food )

For all their bragging that the painful cuts and loss of BC jobs was necessary to expand ..... Few if any new beds opened. Just a few multinational companies made a ton of money

My experiences are from working in it.

There is a good reason why all parties voted unanimously when the NDP tabled to remove bill ,29 and 37 ( the bills that gave them the ability to mass contract out with little to no severance or notice .... Add in the 15% wage roll back to top it off ).... It was universally accepted by all of them that the contracting out was wrong and didn't provide results that justified it 

Following the wage roll back many workers expressed that their kids chose not to follow their parents into health care. Many aides and nurses have been a generational family career path..... Similar to education

Gordo broke that and it's a bit reason why we are so short staffed and have to recruit internationally for all occupations in health ... Not just nurses and doctors 

Health care was brought to it's knees by Gordo.... It will take generations to fix it

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Isabelle Mackenzie the seniors advocate before she retire issue a few reports - the quality in care in private it for profit was less than public ... The residents life quality is less in private funded sites and the staffing crisis was caused by the lower wages especially for care staff as most care aides and nurses in privatised care are just waiting till the public job opened and left ( casual retention is difficult )

For hospital services they sold laundry to kbro who trucked it to Alberta for some time 

For kitchens the food quality was poor ( ask anyone who ate the food )

For all their bragging that the painful cuts and loss of BC jobs was necessary to expand ..... Few if any new beds opened. Just a few multinational companies made a ton of money

My experiences are from working in it.

There is a good reason why all parties voted unanimously when the NDP tabled to remove bill ,29 and 37 ( the bills that gave them the ability to mass contract out with little to no severance or notice .... Add in the 15% wage roll back to top it off ).... It was universally accepted by all of them that the contracting out was wrong and didn't provide results that justified it 

Following the wage roll back many workers expressed that their kids chose not to follow their parents into health care. Many aides and nurses have been a generational family career path..... Similar to education

Thanks I appreciate the info.

16 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Gordo broke that and it's a bit reason why we are so short staffed and have to recruit internationally for all occupations in health ... Not just nurses and doctors 

Health care was brought to it's knees by Gordo.... It will take generations to fix it

This is common in every province. Without nurses from the Philippines eg we'd be hooped. 

I like both Eby and Sim, for what it's worth.

They both are doing things that will improve BC in the long run. Neither is good at keeping costs low though.

As someone in healthcare, its nice to see a provincial party actually doing things that'll make it better. 

The housing changes Eby has made along with Sim abolishing parking minimums and view cones will help eventually (whether they're still around to get the credit is another story, but I think both have earned it). 

Interest rates and Immigration make it hard to see the effects of their policies so far but it looks like the federal government is finally doing something about immigration and when interest rates come down, that's when we'll really see the benefits. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1