Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

Gordon Campbell’s wife was a principal/teacher, I didn’t know he was. Ujjal Dosanjh, was an NDP premier for a short time. Gordon Campbell tore up legal and binding contracts of Provincial workers, which should never be forgotten, as well he privatized care homes in the Province. That’s not right wing enough? I don’t think I’ve called either of these guys nut jobs. The party changed their name from Social Credit to Liberal under Gordon Campbell if I’m not mistaken. The Campbell government also spent 15 or so years in Court, the BC Supreme Court, and the Canadian Supreme Court fighting the BCTF over class size. They lost!

I'm a bit hazy on the details but I think the Liberals never had their name change from the Socreds to the Liberals.  But rather Gordo managed to wrestle control of the Liberal party as the other Gordo couldn't keep it in his pants (might've other reasons as well).  

4 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

Gordon Campbell’s wife was a principal/teacher, I didn’t know he was. Ujjal Dosanjh, was an NDP premier for a short time. Gordon Campbell tore up legal and binding contracts of Provincial workers, which should never be forgotten, as well he privatized care homes in the Province. That’s not right wing enough? I don’t think I’ve called either of these guys nut jobs. The party changed their name from Social Credit to Liberal under Gordon Campbell if I’m not mistaken. The Campbell government also spent 15 or so years in Court, the BC Supreme Court, and the Canadian Supreme Court fighting the BCTF over class size. They lost!

My cousin, my moms nephew but only 6 months younger than her, a war baby, was the last SOCRED minister of Lands and Forests. When Vander Slam ran the party into the ground, all the center-right to further right wingers in that party signed up for the Liberal Party, it didn't 'become' it, but the faces from the old socred days just joined the Liberal Party and intended it to be a right of center "progressive conservative" party because rightly so in BC the Conservatives couldn't ask for a glass of water, let alone a vote at any doorstep they came across. Apparently in the cowboy convoy 'verse we are living in now, Conservative isn't a four letter word in BC. Thus all the old right wing money holders in the BCUPs are as of this minute in the BC Conservatives. This wolf has changed its clothing at least 3 times in BC in my lifetime, and it is still there, only we are going to vote him into Grannies house if things keep getting weird. 
I am friendly with my cousin, he offers to let me stay at any of his properties anytime, and helicopter rides on his fleet anytime, but I would never want his right wing policies to run our province again. Does anyone think our Forrestry is benefiting BC Voters right now or anytime in the last 3 decades? Sold to the highest bidder. That is why I am voting NDP. The party that cares for workers and human rights. We are a province of 95% workers. This should be a no brainer. 

edit: my apologies, the topic led to this post, but as i hit 'send' i realized this is the Canadian Politics thread and not the BC Politics thread. My mistake. Lets keep the two topics on topic. I apologize for this post but I will leave it as it is on the current topic wave...but we should bend the wave back to Canadian Poli, rather than BC Poli.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

LOVE IT!

'Say it to my face': Singh confronts heckling protester on Parliament Hill

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/say-it-to-my-face-singh-confronts-heckling-protester-on-parliament-hill-1.7041514

44 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

RDT_20240917_2232413276548280951882646.jpg

Not gonna lie.

I've called Singh a coward for refusing to run in numerous byelections leaving his party voiceless for around a year.

But this takes balls.  The only kind of response this filth on the right actually understands.

I say filth on the right because it's loudmouth cowards and bullies like these with their disgusting anti everything views and intolerances that have co-opted and stolen the conservative brand.  Corrupting it to this insanity.

I don't really like Singh much, he talks out of both sides of his mouth but I can respect a man who stands up for himself in this manner

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jagmeet has a black belt in BJJ?  Haha, I didn't know that.  No wonder he was so unhinged.  He better get his act together, because he could land himself in jail one day if he bites at someone mouthing him off...

I have no problem with Jagmeet challenging the heckler just as I have no problem witha citizen challenging a politician. There was no physical confrontation which would be going to far. The citizen lied about his taunting which says something about his character. Singh got some cred in my books. 

Politicians are quick to cry when confronted by citizens in public. They prefer a cacoon and a legalized isolation. It is the nature of the business IMHO. If they don't like what they hear then either challenge it or keep moving.  

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jagmeet has a black belt in BJJ?  Haha, I didn't know that.  No wonder he was so unhinged.  He better get his act together, because he could land himself in jail one day if he bites at someone mouthing him off...

Looking for clarity: Are you stating that anyone who has a black belt in a martial art is "unhinged"? Or is it just those who have a black belt in BJJ?

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have no problem with Jagmeet challenging the heckler just as I have no problem witha citizen challenging a politician. There was no physical confrontation which would be going to far. The citizen lied about his taunting which says something about his character. Singh got some cred in my books. 

Politicians are quick to cry when confronted by citizens in public. They prefer a cacoon and a legalized isolation. It is the nature of the business IMHO. If they don't like what they hear then either challenge it or keep moving.  

Trudeau has handled several of these types quite well. 

I'm sure he would be happy to punch out a rebel reporter hassling him and his kid.

Edited by Bob Long

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Agreed.

Jag sticking up for himself was understandable and echod a day when people were held accountable for their words/actions. This heckler realised pretty quick that he wasnt at home behind his keyboard. He will have to live with that footage. He will have to live with the knowledge that he showed exactly what Jag claimed, that he was a coward. 

Yep, It's gonna be tough to tell the boys at work what a badass you are, when that video is circulating....

File that under "seemed like a good idea at the time".....

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm a bit hazy on the details but I think the Liberals never had their name change from the Socreds to the Liberals.  But rather Gordo managed to wrestle control of the Liberal party as the other Gordo couldn't keep it in his pants (might've other reasons as well).  

Actually the Gordon Campbell gang hijacked Liberal party of BC name, led by Gordon Wilson, when I think of it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

My cousin, my moms nephew but only 6 months younger than her, a war baby, was the last SOCRED minister of Lands and Forests. When Vander Slam ran the party into the ground, all the center-right to further right wingers in that party signed up for the Liberal Party, it didn't 'become' it, but the faces from the old socred days just joined the Liberal Party and intended it to be a right of center "progressive conservative" party because rightly so in BC the Conservatives couldn't ask for a glass of water, let alone a vote at any doorstep they came across. Apparently in the cowboy convoy 'verse we are living in now, Conservative isn't a four letter word in BC. Thus all the old right wing money holders in the BCUPs are as of this minute in the BC Conservatives. This wolf has changed its clothing at least 3 times in BC in my lifetime, and it is still there, only we are going to vote him into Grannies house if things keep getting weird. 
I am friendly with my cousin, he offers to let me stay at any of his properties anytime, and helicopter rides on his fleet anytime, but I would never want his right wing policies to run our province again. Does anyone think our Forrestry is benefiting BC Voters right now or anytime in the last 3 decades? Sold to the highest bidder. That is why I am voting NDP. The party that cares for workers and human rights. We are a province of 95% workers. This should be a no brainer. 

edit: my apologies, the topic led to this post, but as i hit 'send' i realized this is the Canadian Politics thread and not the BC Politics thread. My mistake. Lets keep the two topics on topic. I apologize for this post but I will leave it as it is on the current topic wave...but we should bend the wave back to Canadian Poli, rather than BC Poli.

This belongs in the BC thread, but, further to your Forestry Minister comments, Tom Waterland was the worst forest minister this Province has ever had. Ask all the folks in the Merritt, Princeton area how he screwed that area over when he was in charge. Long time logging contractors who were in the Princeton area couldn't get tree licenses, and were basically told they had to go elsewhere if they wanted to work. Isn't Rustad somehow involved in the timber industry?

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Not gonna lie.

I've called Singh a coward for refusing to run in numerous byelections leaving his party voiceless for around a year.

But this takes balls.  The only kind of response this filth on the right actually understands.

I say filth on the right because it's loudmouth cowards and bullies like these with their disgusting anti everything views and intolerances that have co-opted and stolen the conservative brand.  Corrupting it to this insanity.

I don't really like Singh much, he talks out of both sides of his mouth but I can respect a man who stands up for himself in this manner

You pointed it out, but yeah I think it's very important to remember here that one of the goals of disinformation is to also get people on the left to view the people on the right as monsters. A large portion of these folks, even the hecklers in the video, were most likely vulnerable men that were taken advantage of by grifters in a moment of weakness. 

They aren't conservatives. just grifters.

Likewise, with a lot of the posters on this board that spread the reactionary posts, my beef isn't with them, it's with the content creators that use their fears and insecurities to spread hatred and weaken our nation for a quick buck.

Edited by DSVII

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

IMO, the older you get the more conservative you get. Not the other way around. I don’t know too many people who go from right wing to left wing in their 60’s after they’d made all their money. 

The old cliche':  "If you're young & not a liberal..you have no heart.  If you're old & not a conservative, you have no brains".  Or something like that.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yep, It's gonna be tough to tell the boys at work what a badass you are, when that video is circulating....

File that under "seemed like a good idea at the time".....

Actually, that guy will probably be laughing about his "stating his piece" and "getting under his skin" without "facing any consequences" (ie. get the shit beat out of him).  

And the sad part is, boneheaded coward wankers like him will fete his "achievement".  :classic_rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Actually, that guy will probably be laughing about his "stating his piece" and "getting under his skin" without "facing any consequences" (ie. get the shit beat out of him).  

And the sad part is, boneheaded coward wankers like him will fete his "achievement".  :classic_rolleyes:

I guess it depends on what you do for a living....When I worked in construction, something like that would earn you the title of "Coffee Boy" for the next several weeks.

Maybe things have changed....:classic_unsure:

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Bold to assume that worthless piece of trash even has a job.  Most employers wouldn't like seeing their staff call in sick to throw a tantrum and have it televised.

Edited by King Heffy

4 hours ago, StrayDog said:

Looking for clarity: Are you stating that anyone who has a black belt in a martial art is "unhinged"? Or is it just those who have a black belt in BJJ?

No, just a politician who wants to be Prime Minister but can’t even hold back from words from a protestor. He’s not fit to be running the government. Maybe Dana White can offer him a job. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The old cliche':  "If you're young & not a liberal..you have no heart.  If you're old & not a conservative, you have no brains".  Or something like that.

One of Churchill's many glib quotes.  As I near 70 I think I have far more heart than I did when I was young. My memory seems to be slipping a bit but I should be ok for while. (Jeopardy answers used to jump from of my month but now they often get no further than the tip of my tongue.) 

Not saying I'm wiser in my old age though.  I agree with Hemingway: “No, that is the great fallacy: the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful.”

Oh, and by the way, in case you haven't noticed, I'm a liberal.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, just a politician who wants to be Prime Minister but can’t even hold back from words from a protestor. He’s not fit to be running the government. Maybe Dana White can offer him a job. 

Then please refrain from saying that someone is unhinged because they hold a black belt (or the statement that someone who holds a black belt must be unhinged). If you have a problem with how he dealt with the protester, fine. But don't use that as a means to disrespect his martial form.

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

it might have been more interesting for Jag to debate the fat Leafs fan/biggot, Jags response was also appropriate. Gut boy coward got embarassed.