Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Then please refrain from saying that someone is unhinged because they hold a black belt (or the statement that someone who holds a black belt must be unhinged). If you have a problem with how he dealt with the protester, fine. But don't use that as a means to disrespect his martial form.

It's a ridiculous comment considering the amount of discipline that's required to gain that level of a belt.  Clearly hasn't had any martial artists at his dinner parties.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

It's a ridiculous comment considering the amount of discipline that's required to gain that level of a belt.  Clearly hasn't had any martial artists at his dinner parties.

FYI, Singh is a blue belt not a black belt.  My best friend back in the day was the Canadian kickboxing champion in his weight class.  I took Tae Kwon Do for several years in my 20's.  I come from an area in Vancouver where guys used to use their feet and hands as weapons just for kicks.  Have you ever watched MMA in your life?  Some of those guys are the most unhinged people I have ever seen.  

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

FYI, Singh is a blue belt not a black belt.  My best friend back in the day was the Canadian kickboxing champion in his weight class.  I took Tae Kwon Do for several years in my 20's.  I come from an area in Vancouver where guys used to use their feet and hands as weapons just for kicks.  Have you ever watched MMA in your life?  Some of those guys are the most unhinged people I have ever seen.  

You're not insinuating your best friend is unhinged by extension in this string of sentences I hope.

I have a bunch of friends who are black belts and teach Karate and Tae Kwon Do classes to kids, they are the most cool, level-headed and disciplined people I know. I tried Karate a few years myself, obviously not to your level, but the number 1 tip the Sensei (a retired Cop) would always give is that Karate is used as a means to escape from a street fight, not engage. 

Edited by DSVII
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, DSVII said:

You're not insinuating your best friend is unhinged by extension in this string of sentences I hope.

I have a bunch of friends who are black belts and teach Karate and Tae Kwon Do classes to kids, they are the most cool, level-headed and disciplined people I know. I tried Karate a few years myself, obviously not to your level, but the number 1 tip the Sensei (a retired Cop) would always give is that Karate is used as a means to escape from a street fight, not engage. 

I would agree for the most part.  However, in my class back in the day lots of guys were in there to learn how to fight.  Tae Kwon Do itself is mostly for self defence.  However, when you mix it with kickboxing it becomes more of an aggressive tool.  My friend used to drink alot.  He beat the shit out of alot of people.  We stopped being friends when I turned 30.  

I never said every martial arts guy is unhinged and nuts.  The real expert in all of this is my buddy @bishopshodan.  I'm sure he can weigh in and teach us a few things as he is a martial arts expert.  

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, just a politician who wants to be Prime Minister but can’t even hold back from words from a protestor. He’s not fit to be running the government. Maybe Dana White can offer him a job. 

I'd be curious if you thought the same way if it was PP doing it instead.

I ask because I've observed a lot of points of view where if one side does it it's terrible while if the other side does it it's fine. There's a lot of hypocrisy going around these days.

Personally, I think the video's hilarious, but I'm also a bit of a shit starter deep inside. lol

Edited by The Lock

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'd be curious if you thought the same way if it was PP doing it instead.

I ask because I've observed a lot of points of view where if one side does it it's terrible while if the other side does it it's fine. There's a lot of hypocrisy going around these days.

Personally, I think the video's hilarious, but I'm also a bit of a shit starter deep inside. lol

Yes, I would have thought the same way with PP.  Full disclosure.  If that guy had said that to me when I was 25, I would have turned around and given him a head kick to the face and he would have been out cold.  I wouldn't have even given him a chance to engage.  My buddy probably would have put him in the hospital.  So, I'm not claiming to be a saint.  But I've grown up now and don't do that shit anymore.  It's been 20+ years.  

Both sides are guilty of hypocrisy.  I don't deny that at all.  I'll be the first to admit I'm a hypocrite.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I would have thought the same way with PP.  Full disclosure.  If that guy had said that to me when I was 25, I would have turned around and given him a head kick to the face and he would have been out cold.  I wouldn't have even given him a chance to engage.  My buddy probably would have put him in the hospital.  So, I'm not claiming to be a saint.  But I've grown up now and don't do that shit anymore.  It's been 20+ years.  

Both sides are guilty of hypocrisy.  I don't deny that at all.  I'll be the first to admit I'm a hypocrite.  

What if "that guy" was also trained in martial arts? Jesus, you are hilarious.

1 minute ago, Johngould21 said:

What if "that guy" was also trained in martial arts? Jesus, you are hilarious.

He didn't look well trained to be honest with you.  Plus, he was wearing a Maple Leafs hat...   🤣

Now, if he had cauliflower ears and put one of his feet back to get into a true fighting stance like we are trained to do, then my reaction would have been different.  These are things you learn if you actually take martial arts...

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm too short for that, I'd probably go with kicking him in the nuts and taking his wallet.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So do you prefer what Jag did, or for security to give this parasite the beating he deserves?

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

So do you prefer what Jag did, or for security to give this parasite the beating he deserves?

Like I said, 20 years ago I would have chosen violence.  Today, I would have just walked away.  So, no I wouldn't have done what Jagmeet did, especially if I was running for Prime Minister.

Too many people carrying weapons now to even engage really.  My buddy got into a fight a long time ago at the PNE.  He beat the shit out of the guy, but the guy ended up pulling a knife on him as they were down on the ground.  My buddy was the one who ended up in the hospital.  

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like I said, 20 years ago I would have chosen violence.  Today, I would have just walked away.  So, no I wouldn't have done what Jagmeet did, especially if I was running for Prime Minister.

Too many people carrying weapons now to even engage really.  My buddy got into a fight a long time ago at the PNE.  He beat the shit out of the guy, but the guy ended up pulling a knife on him as they were down on the ground.  My buddy was the one who ended up in the hospital.  

So you would have preferred letting the security detail beat the living crap out of this piece of garbage?

Just now, King Heffy said:

So you would have preferred letting the security detail beat the living crap out of this piece of garbage?

The security detail never engaged because the guy wasn't dumb enough to engage with Jagmeet.  If he even lifted his arm, the cops would have arrested him.  He's probably not really a Leafs fan...

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You sure?

He was a bluebelt in 2019. Pretty sure he's acheived black now. Get on yer google machine, I dont know what source to trust but there are a few that claim he is now a blackbelt.

You dont know what you are talking about in regards to martial arts. Have you ever seen me be unhinged on here? I hold a NKA/JFK blackbelt. Competed until I was 35.Lots of podiums for me. I have crosstrained with muay thai, sanshou, grappling for mma ( sorta a bjj club with striking) and have trained boxing since I was a kid. I know tons of fighters. One of my best friends was a north american champ in Muay Thai, I worked out with him this morn. He is the most peaceful man I know.

MMA does not represent all fighters, but you know that. I'm not sure what you are doing with this nonsense today. 

And, if you think Jag was unhinged I am surprised. Isn't a man allowed to act like a man anymore? he stuck up for himself, he was angry sure, but he didnt bo anything other than put that coward in his place. 

I'm happy Jag did this. I'm happy he showed remarkable restraint given his training. 

Id also be happy if he talked it out with beer gut.

The only mistake here would be letting it slide.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1