Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm not sure what you are doing with this nonsense today. 

It's not just today, but I think you already know that.  The xit that was first posted on the subject matter, whether it was purposely chosen or not, used a narrative that he "SNAPS" [sic] and wanted to fight the guy.  Even if the choice of xit was unintentional, the choice of words that poster used today was intentionally speaking to that narrative.

You may think of that poster as intelligent, but I see a filthy and duplicitous soul who is seeking to purposely provoke.

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Isn't a man allowed to act like a man anymore? he stuck up for himself, he was angry sure, but he didnt bo anything other than put that coward in his place. 

Putting the shoe on the other foot, had it been a Tory MP or leader doing that, he'd be singing praises of standing up for themself.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If that guy had said that to me when I was 25, I would have turned around and given him a head kick to the face and he would have been out cold

Missed this.

Pro-tip.

I would never start a fight with a high kick. Anyone slightly trained will simply step forward. Sounds a bit weird but its true, move forward and the kicks range is immediately off, the person will fall back. You could also get swept if you dont have great retraction. A low front kick can work though, watch that moron Sean Strickland fight. He's like Lisa Simpson. 

NOt saying you couldnt sucker-kick a dude but that's not two willing people.

Someone squares up with you, gyaku tsuki first. It's the number one technique. Wait for him to move at you, counter punch. You can move your hand faster than a person can move their entire body to close the distance. If you want to start first, punches in bunches Pete. A combo, then throw your head kick.

My fav in tournys was a moving right, left, punches to roundhouse ( to use english terms)

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I hold a NKA/JFK blackbelt. Competed until I was 35.Lots of podiums for me. I have crosstrained with muay thai, sanshou, grappling for mma ( sorta a bjj club with striking) and have trained boxing since I was a kid.

I fought a guy in High School one time. Wanna fight? 😅

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gator said:

I fought a guy in High School one time. Wanna fight? 😅

Sure if you would like, but only on a mat or in a ring.

I am actually looking to join a local bjj club soon. 

My days of being hit are behind me, never really enjoyed that part of it. It happens to hurt a lot. So on to some cuddle puddles for me. 

I will walk away from almost all street fights. I had a scrap once that scared me a lot. The guy on the ground was bleeding from his ear and I thought i had done really bad damage. I worked in the clubs for 15 years. We had a person get brain damage from a dumb doorman and we had a girl die. Yep die, from a street fight. And many many other stories. Granville clubs have lots of scraps. 

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Conservatives are targeting Singh over his pension — but Poilievre's is three times larger

First elected in 2004, Poilievre is set to receive more than $200K annually when he turns 65, experts say

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-pension-singh-1.7326152

and the absolute irony is that Peppe Le Pew got into politics with a paper he wrote that caught the eye of Preston Manning specifically outlining how every politician must be limited to two terms in office, lmao... 20 years later he if firmly entrenched in the swamp and looking to be the chief crocodile. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

and the absolute irony is that Peppe Le Pew got into politics with a paper he wrote that caught the eye of Preston Manning specifically outlining how every politician must be limited to two terms in office, lmao... 20 years later he if firmly entrenched in the swamp and looking to be the chief crocodile. 

Meh that was before contact lenses and botox. Skippy has an image to maintain now.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gator said:

Imagine wanting Trudeau re-elected in 2024 🤣

Who wants 

- Lower taxes a balanced budget, control inflation without the deflationary recession that’s happening right now and make homeownership more affordable by using housing and employment availability as the catalyst. 

- Boost domestic energy production, support pipelines, reduce foreign energy reliance, and use tech-based climate solutions rather than a carbon tax that only makes everyone have less money. One of the biggest proposals is a huge investment in carbon capture. The carbon capture space itself will create an entirely new workforce and industry. 

-Improve healthcare access through private-sector innovation, mental health investments, and addressing backlogs. The proposed huge increase in mental health spending will trickle into the addiction epidemic. Tackling the root cause of addiction rather than throwing money at safe injection sites and synthetic opioids. 

- Impose stricter penalties for violent crime and gangs, with a focus on victim protection.

- Controlled immigration, focus on labor shortages, family reunification, and secure borders.

- Indigenous Relations: Promote economic reconciliation, better living conditions, and self-governance for Indigenous communities.

The Liberal rhetoric vilifies the CPC climate plane when in reality it’s probably the most robust part of our platform. 

this is directly from the CPC platform 

1.    Technology Over Taxes:
    •    The Conservatives advocate for reducing greenhouse gas emissions through investments in technology rather than imposing carbon taxes. This includes supporting the development of carbon capture, utilization, and storage (CCUS) technologies to capture emissions before they enter the atmosphere.
    2.    Low Carbon Energy:
    •    They support increasing Canada’s reliance on cleaner energy sources, such as nuclear energy, hydroelectric power, and natural gas. The goal is to reduce emissions while still supporting economic growth and energy production.
    3.    Regulatory Reforms:
    •    Streamline the regulatory process for energy and infrastructure projects to ensure they can be completed efficiently while still adhering to environmental standards. This would encourage private-sector investment in green technology and infrastructure.
    4.    Electric Vehicles (EVs):
    •    The Conservatives plan to incentivize the adoption of electric vehicles by providing incentives for the private sector to build more EV charging stations. They also propose encouraging the purchase of zero-emission vehicles through tax credits.
    5.    Building Retrofits:
    •    There is a focus on improving the energy efficiency of homes and buildings. This would be done through grants and tax credits for homeowners and businesses to retrofit buildings to make them more energy-efficient.
    6.    Green Bonds:
    •    The platform includes the idea of “green bonds,” a financial instrument that allows Canadians to invest in green infrastructure projects like public transit and renewable energy production. This is aimed at raising capital for large-scale projects to reduce emissions.
    7.    Conservation and Nature-Based Solutions:
    •    The party also highlights the importance of protecting natural ecosystems, such as forests, wetlands, and farmlands, which serve as carbon sinks. They propose supporting farmers and landowners in maintaining and expanding these carbon-absorbing areas.

These measures are designed to reduce Canada’s carbon footprint without imposing heavy taxes on individuals and businesses, focusing instead on incentives and innovation to address climate change.

this is the first time in a long time where I feel like we have some hope for some prosperity. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Who wants 

- Lower taxes a balanced budget, control inflation without the deflationary recession that’s happening right now and make homeownership more affordable by using housing and employment availability as the catalyst. 

- Boost domestic energy production, support pipelines, reduce foreign energy reliance, and use tech-based climate solutions rather than a carbon tax that only makes everyone have less money. One of the biggest proposals is a huge investment in carbon capture. The carbon capture space itself will create an entirely new workforce and industry. 

-Improve healthcare access through private-sector innovation, mental health investments, and addressing backlogs. The proposed huge increase in mental health spending will trickle into the addiction epidemic. Tackling the root cause of addiction rather than throwing money at safe injection sites and synthetic opioids. 

- Impose stricter penalties for violent crime and gangs, with a focus on victim protection.

- Controlled immigration, focus on labor shortages, family reunification, and secure borders.

- Indigenous Relations: Promote economic reconciliation, better living conditions, and self-governance for Indigenous communities.

The Liberal rhetoric vilifies the CPC climate plane when in reality it’s probably the most robust part of our platform. 

•    The Conservatives advocate for reducing greenhouse gas emissions through investments in technology rather than imposing carbon taxes. This includes supporting the development of carbon capture, utilization, and storage (CCUS) technologies to capture emissions before they enter the atmosphere.
    2.    Low Carbon Energy:
    •    They support increasing Canada’s reliance on cleaner energy sources, such as nuclear energy, hydroelectric power, and natural gas. The goal is to reduce emissions while still supporting economic growth and energy production.
    3.    Regulatory Reforms:
    •    Streamline the regulatory process for energy and infrastructure projects to ensure they can be completed efficiently while still adhering to environmental standards. This would encourage private-sector investment in green technology and infrastructure.
    4.    Electric Vehicles (EVs):
    •    The Conservatives plan to incentivize the adoption of electric vehicles by providing incentives for the private sector to build more EV charging stations. They also propose encouraging the purchase of zero-emission vehicles through tax credits.
    5.    Building Retrofits:
    •    There is a focus on improving the energy efficiency of homes and buildings. This would be done through grants and tax credits for homeowners and businesses to retrofit buildings to make them more energy-efficient.
    6.    Green Bonds:
    •    The platform includes the idea of “green bonds,” a financial instrument that allows Canadians to invest in green infrastructure projects like public transit and renewable energy production. This is aimed at raising capital for large-scale projects to reduce emissions.
    7.    Conservation and Nature-Based Solutions:
    •    The party also highlights the importance of protecting natural ecosystems, such as forests, wetlands, and farmlands, which serve as carbon sinks. They propose supporting farmers and landowners in maintaining and expanding these carbon-absorbing areas.

These measures are designed to reduce Canada’s carbon footprint without imposing heavy taxes on individuals and businesses, focusing instead on incentives and innovation to address climate change.

this is the first time in a long time where I feel like we have some hope for some prosperity. 

You're conveniently ignoring Poilivre's hate speech and open promotion of domestic terrorism.  If the Cons can denazify their party  and bring in a leader who can deliver some of this without the barbaric social policies, they'd be worth considering.  Until then, anyone who can prevent these Nazi pieces of shit from destroying the country is a good option.  We cannot afford to have a PM who has demonstrated that he is not capable of acting like a civilized person.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You're conveniently ignoring Poilivre's hate speech and open promotion of domestic terrorism.  If the Cons can denazify their party  and bring in a leader who can deliver some of this without the barbaric social policies, they'd be worth considering.  Until then, anyone who can prevent these Nazi pieces of shit from destroying the country is a good option.  We cannot afford to have a PM who has demonstrated that he is not capable of acting like a civilized person.

Baseless dismissive Rhetoric. Don’t let your bias deprive you of knowledge. 

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pfff, yeah yeah yeah, the golden unicorn of a progressive conservative was almost permanently kicked out of Canadian politics by *screeches voice from Saved by the bell* "REFORRRRM".

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Pfff, yeah yeah yeah, the golden unicorn of a progressive conservative was almost permanently kicked out of Canadian politics by *screeches voice from Saved by the bell* "REFORRRRM".

I'm still sad the PPC didn't win some seats last election, as evil as they are.  Having a place like that for the real nutjobs to go would have been a better outcome instead of letting them further hijack the CPC.

• chaos 1

49 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Now this is so I can get behind because this is absolutely…oh wait, nvm we’re already doing that.

Through Budget 2021, the federal government is investing $319 million in research, development and demonstrations to advance the commercial viability of CCUS technologies. These funds will support businesses, academia, non-profits, government and public laboratories. Additionally, through its 2030 Emission Reduction Plan and Budget 2022, the government reaffirmed its commitment to develop a CCUS strategy for Canada and proposed a refundable investment tax credit valued at $2.6 billion over five years, starting in 2022–23, to incentivize the development and adoption of CCUS technology to help industries in their journey to net-zero emissions.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Now this is so I can get behind because this is absolutely…oh wait, nvm we’re already doing that.

Through Budget 2021, the federal government is investing $319 million in research, development and demonstrations to advance the commercial viability of CCUS technologies. These funds will support businesses, academia, non-profits, government and public laboratories. Additionally, through its 2030 Emission Reduction Plan and Budget 2022, the government reaffirmed its commitment to develop a CCUS strategy for Canada and proposed a refundable investment tax credit valued at $2.6 billion over five years, starting in 2022–23, to incentivize the development and adoption of CCUS technology to help industries in their journey to net-zero emissions.

The only difference is the CPC is reducing corporate taxes, carbon taxes and regulation to entice free enterprise to actually make this happen. The liberal government doesn’t create the environment to execute this. 

cute though. 

ever wonder why this industry hasn’t exploded with that kinda incentive? Ya, it’s because of the Bureaucracy

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

The only difference is the CPC is reducing corporate taxes, carbon taxes and regulation to entice free enterprise to actually make this happen. The liberal government doesn’t create the environment to execute this. 

cute though. 

ever wonder why this industry hasn’t exploded with that kinda incentive? Ya, it’s because of the Bureaucracy

Come off it, most of the second part on energy comes straight from the liberal playbook. It reads great until you look into and find little that’s new, other than AxtheTax.  Green Bonds ?

Canada’s Green Bond Program

Since March 2022, Canada has issued green bonds to mobilize capital in support of its climate and environmental objectives.

The federal government recognizes that sustainable finance plays a key role in accelerating the transition to a cleaner, greener economy. Mobilizing capital is a crucial part of Canada's work to meet its 2030 emissions reduction targets and to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050.

Government of Canada green bonds meet the demand of investors who are looking for green investment opportunities backed by Canada's AAA credit rating, and which contribute to the development of a stronger, more sustainable Canada.