Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Come off it, most of the second part on energy comes straight from the liberal playbook. It reads great until you look into and find little that’s new, other than AxtheTax.  Green Bonds ?

Canada’s Green Bond Program

Since March 2022, Canada has issued green bonds to mobilize capital in support of its climate and environmental objectives.

The federal government recognizes that sustainable finance plays a key role in accelerating the transition to a cleaner, greener economy. Mobilizing capital is a crucial part of Canada's work to meet its 2030 emissions reduction targets and to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050.

Government of Canada green bonds meet the demand of investors who are looking for green investment opportunities backed by Canada's AAA credit rating, and which contribute to the development of a stronger, more sustainable Canada.

Regardless, I guess they’re not going to cause more forest fires due to the continuing of green investment. That doesn’t really take care of the lower corporate tax and less permitting though. You can give all the incentives in the world. Nothing gets done with the red tape. I see this happening every day in my industry. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Regardless, I guess they’re not going to cause more forest fires due to the continuing of green investment. That doesn’t really take care of the lower corporate tax and less permitting though. You can give all the incentives in the world. Nothing gets done with the red tape. I see this happening every day in my industry. 

Fair enough if your optimism comes from the execution of the plan as opposed to the plan itself but I’m just pointing out that I don’t see much about it that looks different. Just taking EVs as an example they say that they’re going to encourage private enterprise to expand the charging station grid (which is already pretty vast) and yet most conservatives and some others argue that there is little benefit to EVs in the first place with our climate, as well as a litany of other arguments against them. I’m not complaining about expanding the grid and encouraging ev purchases but it’s definitely not a bold new idea and seems at least a little counterintuitive coming from the Conservatives. 

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Fair enough if your optimism comes from the execution of the plan as opposed to the plan itself but I’m just pointing out that I don’t see much about it that looks different. Just taking EVs as an example they say that they’re going to encourage private enterprise to expand the charging station grid (which is already pretty vast) and yet most conservatives and some others argue that there is little benefit to EVs in the first place with our climate, as well as a litany of other arguments against them. I’m not complaining about expanding the grid and encouraging ev purchases but it’s definitely not a bold new idea and seems at least a little counterintuitive coming from the Conservatives. 

The conservatives, like myself get heaped in with the MAGA crowd. These are far right radicals that don’t represent the majority. They’re just the loudest. The same goes for the far left. People want a centre government and in my opinion the CPC is that option. Most centrist support green energy, and lots of progressive ideology.  

18 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The conservatives, like myself get heaped in with the MAGA crowd. These are far right radicals that don’t represent the majority. They’re just the loudest. The same goes for the far left. People want a centre government and in my opinion the CPC is that option. Most centrist support green energy, and lots of progressive ideology.  

While I appreciate fiscal conservatives, and think they're important for our country and political system, the fact is that your party openly courts the far right and by supporting the party, you are supporting that element 

The guy that Sinfg confronted today was a well known member of a well known ant vaxxer group, a group who played a big part in the trucker convoy.  That same guy had a personal meeting, yesterday, with a conservative MP.........if your party is cavorting with these conspiracy nuts, then so are you, by proxy.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

While I appreciate fiscal conservatives, and think they're important for our country and political system, the fact is that your party openly courts the far right and by supporting the party, you are supporting that element 

The guy that Sinfg confronted today was a well known member of a well known ant vaxxer group, a group who played a big part in the trucker convoy.  That same guy had a personal meeting, yesterday, with a conservative MP.........if your party is cavorting with these conspiracy nuts, then so are you, by proxy.

I made that point to my Conservative MP when PP was photo-oping with convoy leaders during the Ottawa occupation. He made it very clear that he didn’t give two shits about my opinion and that they were more interested in gaining votes from the FuckTrudo crowd than in keeping mine. I can’t and won’t support the party in its current form.

• Vintage 3

9 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I made that point to my Conservative MP when PP was photo-oping with convoy leaders during the Ottawa occupation. He made it very clear that he didn’t give two shits about my opinion and that they were more interested in gaining votes from the FuckTrudo crowd than in keeping mine. I can’t and won’t support the party in its current form.

They try to gaslight the country into thinking the left is shifting further left than ever before and that's complete bs........tye left, if anything, has moved a little further right in the last 25 years. 

The right, on the other hand, are so deep into this culture war bullshit is that those cons in the middle either can't see or are willfully ignorant of what has happened to their party.

Edited by stawns
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Meanwhile in who is or is not potentially engaging with foreign powers.

Peter O'Toole dropped a bit of a bomb today.   Really liked him.  Shame he didn't have a quality party behind him

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/foreign-influence-conservative-senator-1.7327526

Former Conservative leader Erin O'Toole said Wednesday he contemplated expelling a Conservative senator from his party's caucus over concerns that the senator was involved in foreign influence.

Testifying in Ottawa before the inquiry into foreign interference, O'Toole said one of his MPs was told by a local mayor that a Conservative senator was actively working on behalf of a Chinese government-owned company.

"There was a member of our upper chamber caucus that an MP brought to me that he had been directly or indirectly promoting or lobbying an interest of a Chinese state-owned enterprise in a riding in Ontario," O'Toole told the inquiry.

"There had been previous stories about sponsored travel and other things that led me to have some serious concerns considering some of the subjects that we were discussing within caucus. But it was that issue in a town in Ontario, potentially advocating for an economic interest, that really forced me to make a decision about some concerns about that member."

O'Toole said the senator took "a pretty extensive trip" to China, which had been the subject of media reports.

O'Toole said he felt it was "completely inappropriate for a member of the Senate to be advocating for a commercial interest related to a foreign entity in a riding in Canada."

"Given that we were having very serious discussions at the time with respect to the relationship with China, the situation with the two Michaels, the consideration of the plight of the Uyghur peoples, Hong Kong, I was very concerned about this member," he said.

O'Toole said he could have used help from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service or other government intelligence experts, but didn't have access to them.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

They try to gaslight the country into thinking the left is shifting further left than ever before and that's complete bs........tye left, if anything, has moved a little further right in the last 25 years. 

The right, on the other hand, are so deep into this culture war bullshit is that those cons in the middle either can't see or are willfully ignorant of what has happened to their party.

It’s true. On these boards most who disagree with me would call me a lefty and yet federally I’ve never voted Liberal and provincially I’ve never voted NDP.  Having said that I was generally impressed with Trudeau’s first term and grew to have a fair amount of admiration for Horgan. I have always voted for the candidate in my riding not the party but that will finally change in the next elections.  This will be the first time that my vote will be strategic. Took me 40 years of voting but here we are.

• Cheers 1

The company you keep

Conservatives are denying any association with protesters who harassed Jagmeet Singh, among others, outside of Parliament Hill this week after Liberal ministers accused them of lending their support.

Miller and Boissonnault also called out Conservative MP Michael Cooper after Press Progress reported he was out socializing with the same group of protesters who have been outside Parliament Hill this week.

In a statement, Cooper denied association with the protesters and said he was approached by them while having dinner.

"I went to a restaurant in Ottawa to have dinner. At the restaurant, I was recognized by a group of people who approached me and took photos. I am in no way associated with these individuals and was not meeting with them," Cooper said.

The Press Progress report shared photos and videos posted on social media, including by a former "Freedom Convoy" protester Chris Dacey.

"Thank you to Conservative MP for St. Albert-Edmonton, Alberta, (Michael) Cooper, for taking time to speak to concerned Canadians this evening," the post reads.

A group of protesters gathered on Monday in Ottawa for the first day of the fall sitting, harassing politicians, staff and journalists who were entering and exiting the House of Commons.

The protesters shouted insults and obscenities, as well as incitements of violence such as "hang the traitors."

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Meanwhile in who is or is not potentially engaging with foreign powers.

Peter O'Toole dropped a bit of a bomb today.   Really liked him.  Shame he didn't have a quality party behind him

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/foreign-influence-conservative-senator-1.7327526

Former Conservative leader Erin O'Toole said Wednesday he contemplated expelling a Conservative senator from his party's caucus over concerns that the senator was involved in foreign influence.

Testifying in Ottawa before the inquiry into foreign interference, O'Toole said one of his MPs was told by a local mayor that a Conservative senator was actively working on behalf of a Chinese government-owned company.

"There was a member of our upper chamber caucus that an MP brought to me that he had been directly or indirectly promoting or lobbying an interest of a Chinese state-owned enterprise in a riding in Ontario," O'Toole told the inquiry.

"There had been previous stories about sponsored travel and other things that led me to have some serious concerns considering some of the subjects that we were discussing within caucus. But it was that issue in a town in Ontario, potentially advocating for an economic interest, that really forced me to make a decision about some concerns about that member."

O'Toole said the senator took "a pretty extensive trip" to China, which had been the subject of media reports.

O'Toole said he felt it was "completely inappropriate for a member of the Senate to be advocating for a commercial interest related to a foreign entity in a riding in Canada."

"Given that we were having very serious discussions at the time with respect to the relationship with China, the situation with the two Michaels, the consideration of the plight of the Uyghur peoples, Hong Kong, I was very concerned about this member," he said.

O'Toole said he could have used help from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service or other government intelligence experts, but didn't have access to them.

Senator Victor Oh. 
He was censured which is basically a written tsk tsk finger wag.

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

Don’t get sucked into the Rhetoric. All I care about is the platform. 
It is true that, in recent years, certain individuals or groups with extreme view such as anti-vaccine movements or participants in the trucker convoy have sought to align themselves with mainstream political parties, including the Conservative Party. However, it’s important to differentiate between the actions or beliefs of fringe groups and the official stance of the party itself.

You buying into this narrative is no different than believing JT is a racist because of his blackface costume. This is all fog. It’s what distracts the peons from the actual polices and performance of the parties. It’s how they divide normally reasonable people. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The company you keep

Conservatives are denying any association with protesters who harassed Jagmeet Singh, among others, outside of Parliament Hill this week after Liberal ministers accused them of lending their support.

Miller and Boissonnault also called out Conservative MP Michael Cooper after Press Progress reported he was out socializing with the same group of protesters who have been outside Parliament Hill this week.

In a statement, Cooper denied association with the protesters and said he was approached by them while having dinner.

"I went to a restaurant in Ottawa to have dinner. At the restaurant, I was recognized by a group of people who approached me and took photos. I am in no way associated with these individuals and was not meeting with them," Cooper said.

The Press Progress report shared photos and videos posted on social media, including by a former "Freedom Convoy" protester Chris Dacey.

"Thank you to Conservative MP for St. Albert-Edmonton, Alberta, (Michael) Cooper, for taking time to speak to concerned Canadians this evening," the post reads.

A group of protesters gathered on Monday in Ottawa for the first day of the fall sitting, harassing politicians, staff and journalists who were entering and exiting the House of Commons.

The protesters shouted insults and obscenities, as well as incitements of violence such as "hang the traitors."

Did you even read this? They literally walked up to him while he was eating. Do you honestly think he is that stupid? Lol.

Tough fucking times for the left wingers right now. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Did you even read this? They literally walked up to him while he was eating. Do you honestly think he is that stupid? Lol.

Well he's stupid enough to be willing to be associated with a party led by a neo-Nazi who's main goal is to destroy the country, so yeah, I think that walking trash is indeed that stupid.

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Well he's stupid enough to be willing to be associated with a party led by a neo-Nazi who's main goal is to destroy the country, so yeah, I think that walking trash is indeed that stupid.

You’re like the negative copy of a MAGA redneck. Lol

5 hours ago, Gurn said:

Lower taxes

and a balanced budget means there will be cuts in service. and or higher fees.

I'd like to know those details, before thinking the conservatives have a great plan.

I feel like conservatives view government spending, budget and debt works the way a household or business does........it dont

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Seems like Cooper should become more aware of his surroundings:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/edmonton-area-mp-under-fire-052323642.html

Edit:  think he was also the MP that read the Christchurch manifesto into Parliamentary records.  Just another Albertan right wingnut imho.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Do you walk up to total strangers while they’re eating dinner and start a conversation and ask for photos? 
It’s very strange behaviour for an adult to do this. It’s like these morans think that if a person is on TV (public figure in some way) that they actually know him/her. 
This attitude in an adult is dangerous. These morans are a sick group. 

• ThereItIs 1

19 hours ago, Bob Long said:

thats a little cold petey. A lot of people couldn't have reasonably planned for the kind of equity bubble and home pricing that happened. 

Or the pandemic, inflation, profiteering, wars, etc, etc. 

16 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Conservatives are targeting Singh over his pension — but Poilievre's is three times larger

First elected in 2004, Poilievre is set to receive more than $200K annually when he turns 65, experts say

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-pension-singh-1.7326152

What does PP pension size have to do with the argument that Singh is holding out a federal election until he qualifies himself for a pension?

Got a problem with the size of his pension? Ok, but that's a completely different conversation. This is a lame attempt at a gotcha article. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What does PP pension size have to do with the argument that Singh is holding out a federal election until he qualifies himself for a pension?

Got a problem with the size of his pension? Ok, but that's a completely different conversation. This is a lame attempt at a gotcha article. 

It's a stupid argument. Like most of the trash Skippy rolls out to open wallets.

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's a stupid argument. Like most of the trash Skippy rolls out to open wallets.

Do you got any actual counter points aside from "it's a stupid argument"?

Also, didn't answer my original question but whatever I guess.