Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

42 minutes ago, Gurn said:

They can't stand cats, as they are too independent.

Need a dog that will obey and love them, without judgement.

basically a power thing, they feel lost without power- even if it just power over an animal.

Sometimes, not even then.  See Noem, Kristi.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

Can you post that, because the numbers I'm seeing show that the crime rate, as of 2023, is declining year over year since 2003 and is significantly lower than 30 years ago 

You could say it has risen slightly, but that's misrepresenting the data because we are in an era of very low crime, relative to the history of our country 

https://johnhoward.ca/blog/misrepresenting-the-data-on-crime/

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Sexual assaults, robberies surging in Canada's cities: report

The continuing spike in violent robberies, such as muggings and carjackings, can't be blamed on COVID anymore, says one of the report's authors

OTTAWA — Sexual assaults and robberies are up in Canada’s major cities, according to a new report.

The Macdonald Laurier Institute’s Urban Violent Crime Report sheds new light on the state of Canada’s increasingly unsafe streets, including an alarming rise in the incidence of urban sex crimes.

“Sexual assaults were up in every city we looked at,” co-author Dave Snow said in an interview this week. “This was by far our most consistent finding.”

Breadcrumb Trail Links

NewsCanada

Sexual assaults, robberies surging in Canada's cities: report

The continuing spike in violent robberies, such as muggings and carjackings, can't be blamed on COVID anymore, says one of the report's authors

Author of the article:Rahim Mohamed

Published Sep 19, 2024 • Last updated 2 hours ago • 2 minute read

375 Comments

A downtown Winnipeg street scene.

Murder was up in five of Canada's nine biggest cities in 2023, with Winnipeg leading with the highest murder rate. Photo by Chris Procaylo/Postmedia/File

Article content

OTTAWA — Sexual assaults and robberies are up in Canada’s major cities, according to a new report.

The Macdonald Laurier Institute’s Urban Violent Crime Report sheds new light on the state of Canada’s increasingly unsafe streets, including an alarming rise in the incidence of urban sex crimes.

“Sexual assaults were up in every city we looked at,” co-author Dave Snow said in an interview this week. “This was by far our most consistent finding.”

Advertisement 2

Story continues below

Article content

The spike in sexual violence was especially sharp in the Greater Toronto Area. The sexual assault rate almost doubled in the York Region between 2016 and 2023, going from 28.0 to 55.2 per 100,000. Sexual assaults were up by more than 30 per cent in the neighbouring Peel Region, from 38 to 52 per 100,000.

Sexual assaults topped the 100 per 100,000 mark in two cities: Edmonton and Winnipeg. Vancouver was excluded from the sexual assault rankings because of an issue with local data collection.

The report also found that the post-COVID surge in violent acts of robbery, such as muggings and carjackings, continued in 2023. Robberies were up last year in all major cities except Vancouver.

“We can’t blame (the spike in robberies) on COVID anymore,” said Snow, noting that pandemic lockdowns were lifted by the start of 2022 and the trend of increased personal thefts only worsened in 2023.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canada-sexual-assault-robberies-surge

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Again, you can say they're up, but in the context of the last 50 years, we are mich much much lower overall.  So, really, we have a very very low crime rate, with a slight increase.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, you can say they're up, but in the context of the last 50 years, we are mich much much lower overall.  So, really, we have a very very low crime rate, with a slight increase.

Sexual assaults have gone up as much as 50% in certain areas since 2016. You seriously don't think that's of concern?

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Sexual assaults have gone up as much as 50% in certain areas since 2016. You seriously don't think that's of concern?

If you have 2 sexual assault in a year and the next year you get 3, you've seen an increase of 50%.  Without context, it's straight up fear mongering

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Hey LB.

Sorry mate, if the CPC is the centrist option we're screwed.  I have read over their manifesto/platform and it is so full of social politics it is insane.  As well regarding reducing corporate taxes, the issue is it also suggests and insinuates that that lost $ will be pulled from other places.  That inevitably ends up meaning less services at higher costs.

There are good people in the CPC party.  With smart ideas.  But the CPC is exactly the same as the Libs.  Top down and beholden to the party line.

Centrists, they are not

Corporate taxes disproportionately impact small businesses far more than large corporations like Rogers or Walmart, which have the resources to manage them effectively. Right-leaning governments typically reduce corporate taxes and deregulate industries to stimulate growth in the private sector. This approach relies on empowering individuals and businesses rather than expanding government involvement. The right focuses on reducing the size of government, while the left often leans on increased government intervention to drive economic and social outcomes.

Whether people agree or not, this will

mark a new chapter for Canada, and I'm excited about the opportunity for a fresh start.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

hey also took photos with them and also had various conservative senators and MPs stop in to say hi and shake hands

From their PM hopeful knowing literally nothing ever about the people he keeps hanging out with to their MPs also managing to know nothing about how they are associating with it's kind of sad.

the Prime minister or any public figure can’t just identify someone like a computer and their wiki page comes up in the reflection of their glasses. The denouncing of their affiliation should be the end of story. This “gotcha” bullshit is desperate. Canadians don’t care about this petty stuff. Y’all sound like red neck conspiracy theorists. 

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

If you have 2 sexual assault in a year and the next year you get 3, you've seen an increase of 50%.  Without context, it's straight up fear mongering

I'm sorry. Are these small numbers to you?

"The spike in sexual violence was especially sharp in the Greater Toronto Area. The sexual assault rate almost doubled in the York Region between 2016 and 2023, going from 28.0 to 55.2 per 100,000. Sexual assaults were up by more than 30 per cent in the neighbouring Peel Region, from 38 to 52 per 100,000.

Sexual assaults topped the 100 per 100,000 mark in two cities: Edmonton and Winnipeg. Vancouver was excluded from the sexual assault rankings because of an issue with local data collection."

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

"The spike in sexual violence was especially sharp in the Greater Toronto Area. The sexual assault rate almost doubled in the York Region between 2016 and 2023, going from 28.0 to 55.2 per 100,000. Sexual assaults were up by more than 30 per cent in the neighbouring Peel Region, from 38 to 52 per 100,000.

Sexual assaults topped the 100 per 100,000 mark in two cities: Edmonton and Winnipeg. Vancouver was excluded from the sexual assault rankings because of an issue with local data collection."

No one should belittle sexual assault (and I don't think anyone here has).  What do you suggest be done about it?  If your solution is a change in government, what has your preferred candidate said they will do about it? 

Edited by Satchmo

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

the Prime minister or any public figure can’t just identify someone like a computer and their wiki page comes up in the reflection of their glasses. The denouncing of their affiliation should be the end of story. This “gotcha” bullshit is desperate. Canadians don’t care about this petty stuff. Y’all sound like red neck conspiracy theorists. 

I care full well that my elected officials are enjoying the support attention of and are being seen with people like the ones in this conversation.

That's a huge problem 

7 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Again, context.

You're fear mongering because that's the foundation of every plan the Cons have.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, context.

You're fear mongering because that's the foundation of every plan the Cons have.

pretty much, that and acting like asshats. PP embarrassed himself in QP today, he's such a twerp. 

11 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

No one should belittle sexual assault (and I don't think anyone here has).  What do you suggest be done about it?  If your solution is a change in government, what has your preferred candidate said they will do about it? 

This isn't government specific. I don't have those answers. I'm just pointing out that it's anything but declining 

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, context.

Jesus Christ, I just provided you with numbers like you asked. I seriously hope the women in your life never have to experience as something as heinous as being sexually assaulted. Something tells me your opinion would be a little different...

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

This isn't government specific. I don't have those answers. I'm just pointing out that it's anything but declining 

Seems like only yesterday I posted 'It's easier to make a list of problems than it is to make a list of solutions'.

We don't need a list of problems to know people are displeased with JT.  I'd love to see a credible list of solutions from any party or politician.

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Seems like only yesterday I posted 'It's easier to make a list of problems than it is to make a list of solutions'.

We don't need a list of problems to know people are displeased with JT.  I'd love to see a credible list of solutions from any party or politician.

Apparently we do though. How are we ever supposed to improve the problems in our country if certain people refuse to acknowledge they exist. Regardless of how "small" they may think they are.

I would as well. No party seems to really be offering up much for plans of action at the moment.

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Apparently we do though. How are we ever supposed to improve the problems in our country if certain people refuse to acknowledge they exist. Regardless of how "small" you may think they are.

I would as well. No party seems to really be offering up much for plans of action at the moment.

I don't really understand the first paragraph or if I am the 'you' that thinks something is 'small'.

I agree that solutions are hard to come by from any party.

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I don't really understand the first paragraph or if I am the 'you' that thinks something is 'small'.

I agree that solutions are hard to come by from any party.

It should have been they. I have made the edit to reflect what I meant.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I loved his zero to hero biopic though

41+mpJ9-+UL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Good one.

Someone needs to remind the CPC base that it was Harper that brought in fixed election dates.

They have such a desperate case of blue balls I hope the election date is the last possible moment.