Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And many others are sick of Poilivre's absolute refusal to act like a civilized human being.  There's no good reason to vote for vermin like Poilivre, regardless of the current government.

Obviously not enough people to make him lose an election. People are more concerned about paying their mortgage and putting food on the table than they are about all the rhetoric. This is what happens when you put a government in charge that doesn’t know how to balance a budget and looks the other way at uncontrolled immigration just to get votes. 

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Obviously not enough people to make him lose an election. People are more concerned about paying their mortgage and putting food on the table than they are about all the rhetoric. This is what happens when you put a government in charge that doesn’t know how to balance a budget and looks the other way at uncontrolled immigration just to get votes. 

Opponents of Poilievre are attacking his character and his service in a desperate effort to destroy his appeal to voters. There is a reason for his popularlity in the polls. He is talking about what impacts the majority of people in Canada. The Liberal/NDP coalition has failed to address these concerns. The excuses for failed government over the last 10 years are ongoing. If Trudeau and Jag don't sell anymore then shuffle the deck. The principals by which they have ruled this country for 10 years will continue under a different leadership. Their philosophical committment within the progressive movement remains. Their willingness to backtrack is only based on polls that show their imminent loss of jobs. If nothing else they drag out the Harper era as the reason for current failures.

Look at the flip flop the BC NDP are doing to retain power. DO voters really think their committment to policy they have enacted is changing? We will see.   

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Opponents of Poilievre are attacking his character and his service in a desperate effort to destroy his appeal to voters. There is a reason for his popularlity in the polls. He is talking about what impacts the majority of people in Canada. The Liberal/NDP coalition has failed to address these concerns. The excuses for failed government over the last 10 years are ongoing. If Trudeau and Jag don't sell anymore then shuffle the deck. The principals by which they have ruled this country for 10 years will continue under a different leadership. Their philosophical committment within the progressive movement remains. Their willingness to backtrack is only based on polls that show their imminent loss of jobs. If nothing else they drag out the Harper era as the reason for current failures.

Look at the flip flop the BC NDP are doing to retain power. DO voters really think their committment to policy they have enacted is changing? We will see.   

Poo Poo is a McSofty. He’s an embarrassment. He coward from a fight. Can’t have that guy representing our country internationally. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Opponents of Poilievre are attacking his character and his service in a desperate effort to destroy his appeal to voters.

its actually based on who he is and his record. He's been an abrasive mouthpiece for the CPC from day 1. He's stepped into the void left by Baird, who if you recall, was the one who really brought abusive discussion into the house to a new level. 

PP's voting record often doesn't match his public statements. 

PP has elevated the use of US-style right wing tactics.

This is all provable, and has been many times in this thread.

Add to that his unwillingness to get security clearance and I think you know he's not a high character guy. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

There is a reason for his popularlity in the polls. He is talking about what impacts the majority of people in Canada. The Liberal/NDP coalition has failed to address these concerns. The excuses for failed government over the last 10 years are ongoing. If Trudeau and Jag don't sell anymore then shuffle the deck. The principals by which they have ruled this country for 10 years will continue under a different leadership. Their philosophical committment within the progressive movement remains. Their willingness to backtrack is only based on polls that show their imminent loss of jobs. If nothing else they drag out the Harper era as the reason for current failures.

Sure Skippy talks a good game, can get people whipped up. Show me a solution he's presented that goes beyond a slogan. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Poo Poo is a McSofty. He’s an embarrassment. He coward from a fight. Can’t have that guy representing our country internationally. 

he's simply going to continue to follow Harpers lead. This is the kind of thing that should bother people. Its from 2018 but tells you a lot abut the CPC: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/harper-plans-visit-to-white-house-without-telling-canadian-government-report

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No wonder he’s so unhinged and so desperate not to call an election now. I’m sure Dana White will give him a call once he’s unemployed…

This is hilarious because only a couple days a go I was told in no uncertain terms that his riding was basically a lock for him 🤔🤷

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

This is hilarious because only a couple days a go I was told in no uncertain terms that his riding was basically a lock for him 🤔🤷

That riding has always been NDP going back to the 1970’s and Svend Robinson. Seems like a lot of Liberal and NDP strongholds are being flipped to Conservative.  That tells you everything you need to know about the state of the country. 

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That riding has always been NDP going back to the 1970’s and Svend Robinson. Seems like a lot of Liberal and NDP strongholds are being flipped to Conservative.  That tells you everything you need to know about the state of the country. 

It's a left side vote split problem. PP is polling under the CPC national average in that riding.

On 9/23/2024 at 10:54 AM, Optimist Prime said:

We are almost half a year past "peak" BQ support in Quebec. 
More notably, the CONS didn't make the inroads they needed to and the NDP, for having that Orange Crush under Layton, failed to make hay as well. 
I love Chantel Hebert, a brilliant lady and she was high on Trudeau in the early years of his being the PM but lately she has had a sharp tongue for him, like two years now. 
I still really view her as a Canadian Politics version of Chris Higgins, just absolutely brilliant. She suggested Thursday that Trudeau is loved in Quebec head and shoulders more than anywhere else in Canada. To suggest the Liberals are done in Quebec is a foolish notion. Her words not mine. 
Poilevre has a very hard sell in Quebec, and at peak Poilievre the CONS still trail there and could even lose seats based upon regional breakdowns of polling.

But back to the Block: 
May 10th: 42.18% BQ support in QC

Sept 20th: 23.78% BQ support in QC

In four months and ten days they lost 18.4% from their peak support. Pierre Poilievre should take note how fast the decline has been. 
I think you are viewing the BQ win the byelection with a bit too big a magnifying lense. They won, sure, but by 200 or 300 votes and the Liberal nobody running for the first time almost made it. The riding will flip back to Liberal Red in the next general. turnout was pitiful showing it wasn't about a change of representation in the riding it was about stiffled liberal support. Granted that reflects the national mood at the moment, but those stay at home nonvoters in the byelection will be voting in the general next year. At least that is my take on it. I do believe the CONS in a year will droop back in QC to their natural resting place as the 4th place party. 

image.thumb.jpeg.193b6facd1cf990f6c168a85b435724b.jpeg

I vastly appreciate and encourage these kind of analogies haha, it's helpful.

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No wonder he’s so unhinged and so desperate not to call an election now. I’m sure Dana White will give him a call once he’s unemployed…

@Elias Pettersson I hope you do appreciate the irony of using these descriptors from your feeds while saying everyone against PP is fear mongering.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 hours ago, Bob Long said:

This is one of those ridings where the NDP and libs need to consider not splitting the vote. Libs should step out of this one in exchange for the NDP not running a candidate elsewhere.

Not likely to happen. Justin gave Jagmeet an olive branch in one of the first debates where the CON MAN was going after him for something other than politics. Fast forward to the agreement to provide supply and confidence support to the government thru to next summer: broken by Singh at the earliest politically advantageous moment. 
I think it would be somewhat of a justice being served moment if Singh 'ripping up the agreement' ultimately led to his own defeat. Shrug. 

quick edit: It would also be highly entertaining to see the NDP drop to 13 seats and have their leader defeated, from my partisan perspective that is. 8 of his 20 MP's are not even running again, they see the writing on the wall.

The only way to keep Poilievre from a supermajority at this time is to vote Liberal. Sorry to say it but it is very true, The Greens won't be running the country, the BLOC won't be running the country and Mr Singh will NOT be running the country. 

So it is exactly the choice between a right wing career swamp gator in Poilivre, or the Liberal Team under Trudeau who have guided us through Covid and inflation to get to where we are today. 

I still think the folks who want to punish the Prime Minister for not delivering election reform will soon realize that voting for the party 100% opposed to it is not a good enough way forward. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Not likely to happen. Justin gave Jagmeet an olive branch in one of the first debates where the CON MAN was going after him for something other than politics. Fast forward to the agreement to provide supply and confidence support to the government thru to next summer: broken by Singh at the earliest politically advantageous moment. 
I think it would be somewhat of a justice being served moment if Singh 'ripping up the agreement' ultimately led to his own defeat. Shrug. 

quick edit: It would also be highly entertaining to see the NDP drop to 13 seats and have their leader defeated, from my partisan perspective that is. 8 of his 20 MP's are not even running again, they see the writing on the wall.

The only way to keep Poilievre from a supermajority at this time is to vote Liberal. Sorry to say it but it is very true, The Greens won't be running the country, the BLOC won't be running the country and Mr Singh will NOT be running the country. 

So it is exactly the choice between a right wing career swamp gator in Poilivre, or the Liberal Team under Trudeau who have guided us through Covid and inflation to get to where we are today. 

I still think the folks who want to punish the Prime Minister for not delivering election reform will soon realize that voting for the party 100% opposed to it is not a good enough way forward. 

I admit I would chuckle if jag lost his seat, back to Ontario I guess.

The irony for me is financially I'll likely do better under PP. Still don't want him.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Yeah, no he isn't....he's selling the voters on fear and angst.....as well as grasping at low hanging fruit like "axe the tax"....

The reason he's so "popular" is that Canadians have decided that Justin Trudeau is some sort of anti-christ and it's preferable to elect the little corporal, despite his lack of actual ideas....

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, no he isn't....he's selling the voters on fear and angst.....as well as grasping at low hanging fruit like "axe the tax"....

The reason he's so "popular" is that Canadians have decided that Justin Trudeau is some sort of anti-christ and it's preferable to elect the little corporal, despite his lack of actual ideas....

Trudeaus biggest enemy is ten years in power.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yep. Ive said it before... PP isnt helping the Cons in the polls, JT is. 

54 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Failing.... Broken... Fish meet hook.

As with most things political, there are two sides to this story....

It's pretty much universally agreed that the influx of International students needed to be curtailed, due to a lack of housing infrastructure. (Some are also blaming them for a shortage of jobs, but I don't buy it)

The problem is, when recruiters went to countries like India, Nigeria and the Philippines, they made some promises to those students.....one of the biggest was a path towards Permanent Residency, providing the students met certain educational criteria.....

Now these students are being told that the rules have changed. Understandably, they are feeling betrayed, especially considering the fact that fees for International students are much higher than those for domestic students.

It's fair to blame the Liberals for this entire mess, however the fact remains, everyone was onboard with this idea when it was first launched. It was good for the economy and especially good for post secondary institutions.

Now we're seeing the political version of Monday morning quarterbacking from the usual suspects....