Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

24 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Federal election is a long way away.

anyone thinking their side is the definite winner, is taking a large leap.

This isn't America, I'm getting tired of the Conservative attempts to try and normalize the constant ads of the American election cycle.

I understand it is in his interest to get an election going now, but it doesn't make sense for any of the other parties in the 'coalition' so far. We'll see though, if the Libs/NDP/Bloc maintain this detente to late next year

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

As much I would hate to see PP and the Cons win I will not vote Lib if JT is still leader. If they swap him out, I will vote strategically to go against the little bully and co.

I get it. Its been a long run with him and he's become the story, and then add to that if he doesn't actually align with your political wants its a tough sell.

But I do think keeping PP out is the bigger issue. I really hope people don't split the left side vote because thats a much worse alternative than Jag vs Justin imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

As with most things political, there are two sides to this story....

It's pretty much universally agreed that the influx of International students needed to be curtailed, due to a lack of housing infrastructure. (Some are also blaming them for a shortage of jobs, but I don't buy it)

The problem is, when recruiters went to countries like India, Nigeria and the Philippines, they made some promises to those students.....one of the biggest was a path towards Permanent Residency, providing the students met certain educational criteria.....

Now these students are being told that the rules have changed. Understandably, they are feeling betrayed, especially considering the fact that fees for International students are much higher than those for domestic students.

It's fair to blame the Liberals for this entire mess, however the fact remains, everyone was onboard with this idea when it was first launched. It was good for the economy and especially good for post secondary institutions.

Now we're seeing the political version of Monday morning quarterbacking from the usual suspects....

we still need about 440,000 people coming in, so its really more of a tweak than a change in immigration strategy.

I don't know how Trudeau can be blamed for what some scumbag recruiter said to someone in another country. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

we still need about 440,000 people coming in, so its really more of a tweak than a change in immigration strategy.

I don't know how Trudeau can be blamed for what some scumbag recruiter said to someone in another country. 

My understanding was that the agreement for the path to PR was part of a government program that got pulled.....the recruiters were acting in good faith. (as far as they knew)

Just now, RupertKBD said:

My understanding was that the agreement for the path to PR was part of a government program that got pulled.....the recruiters were acting in good faith. (as far as they knew)

ah, I thought some of them also had links to those thieving immigration consultants too. Maybe I'm mixing up issues here.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

ah, I thought some of them also had links to those thieving immigration consultants too. Maybe I'm mixing up issues here.

I can only speak for the Institution that I work at. They did things the right way, only to have the rules change and now they (and the students) are left holding the bag.

If you want a good analogy, it's kind of like the Cap Recapture penalty on Lou's contract....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I can only speak for the Institution that I work at. They did things the right way, only to have the rules change and now they (and the students) are left holding the bag.

If you want a good analogy, it's kind of like the Cap Recapture penalty on Lou's contract....

were they guaranteed citizenship? 

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So PP got to waste two days of parliament time only to have it end in defeat for him. Such as shame. 

Not just defeat but 211 MP's voted against Pierre Poilivre's motion of Non Confidence. Only 120 voted for it. 

To put it in the official parlance The Liberal Government enjoys the confidence of 211 MP's in the house. 

• Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Sapper said:

He has already served notice that tommorow he is tabling 2 more non confidence motions 

I get it polls show him leading. This insanity of using polling numbers to demand and end to governments is more a threat to our democracy that anything we have seen in the last decade ... Other than his indorsed klown.konvoy Kids.

If he lives by the same rules ... As soon as he is in power and cuts health programs and or

raises OAS age ( again ) .... He will take a big polling drop. If the libs have replaced Truduea with anyone at all ... They could poll higher than the cons.

Would PP then agree to go to an election ? Hell no

We elect our governments to sever a term. Some things they must do piss off half he country but are needed for the other half. His theatrical temper tantrums are for Soley his personal gain.

No person could govern based on maintaining poll leads... Not even him

The House has voted ... For him to table the exact same thing the day after it but just re worded Is ridiculous and frankly embarrassing on a global level

It undermines Canada's ability to make unpopular decisions when needed .... Another words PP wants us to be a weak country in the eyes of the world 

The vote failed ..... Get your ass back to work PP..... That's my taxes your using to play around instead of being the opposition and working. Run your election campaigns on your dime and time.

His long speech yesterday about the Canadian promise is only viable under a full communist regime. Wages are not going to jump so high to pave the streets in gold  unless it's legislated .... Housing and rent is not collapsing to 1960 rates unless it's legislated 

Food and grocery is not going to become cheaper unless it's legislated 

Everything he's promising requires state legislated price and wage control ... Aka old school USSR 

It's all just theatre....

Except this part is the cartoons before the feature.....

15 minutes ago, Sapper said:

He has already served notice that tommorow he is tabling 2 more non confidence motions 

I get it polls show him leading. This insanity of using polling numbers to demand and end to governments is more a threat to our democracy that anything we have seen in the last decade ... Other than his indorsed klown.konvoy Kids.

If he lives by the same rules ... As soon as he is in power and cuts health programs and or

raises OAS age ( again ) .... He will take a big polling drop. If the libs have replaced Truduea with anyone at all ... They could poll higher than the cons.

Would PP then agree to go to an election ? Hell no

We elect our governments to sever a term. Some things they must do piss off half he country but are needed for the other half. His theatrical temper tantrums are for Soley his personal gain.

No person could govern based on maintaining poll leads... Not even him

The House has voted ... For him to table the exact same thing the day after it but just re worded Is ridiculous and frankly embarrassing on a global level

It undermines Canada's ability to make unpopular decisions when needed .... Another words PP wants us to be a weak country in the eyes of the world 

The vote failed ..... Get your ass back to work PP..... That's my taxes your using to play around instead of being the opposition and working. Run your election campaigns on your dime and time.

His long speech yesterday about the Canadian promise is only viable under a full communist regime. Wages are not going to jump so high to pave the streets in gold  unless it's legislated .... Housing and rent is not collapsing to 1960 rates unless it's legislated 

Food and grocery is not going to become cheaper unless it's legislated 

Everything he's promising requires state legislated price and wage control ... Aka old school USSR 

its fine, he can burn all his opposition days doing this if he wants to.

I'm not sure we can start legislating prices on things, government isn't really set up for that kind of monitoring and reaction to markets. Not sure what Skippy thinks he's going to get Loblaws to do. 

The Bloc has set up an unrealistic timeline for their demands today, so its probably back to the NDP supporting pharmacare through to a spring election.

Maybe PP would have more MPs confidence if he got security clearance.  You know, an important aspect of the job he is aspiring to get.  It would help to have the new PM briefed on issues before taking the job and not have to play catchup. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Maybe PP would have more MPs confidence if he got security clearance.  You know, an important aspect of the job he is aspiring to get.  It would help to have the new PM briefed on issues before taking the job and not have to play catchup. 

Whatever happened to Stephen Harper’s order that elected officials must have security clearances every two years after the Maxine Bernier scandal? What would happen if Poilievre was elected and then failed his security clearance? That would be a laughable, avoidable mess.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Sapper said:

The less "work" this parasite does, the better off Canada is.  I don't like that my tax dollars are wasted on keeping this garbage alive, but it's far better to spend them on him taking a vacation instead of paying him to destroy the country.