Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So here we have literally two different statements.

The first statement correctly states that MPs work for the people and that MPs should not be deciding when the PM should resign.  Which also suggests that they also do not have the right to call an election like Pierre wants, simply because he is selfish and knows the numbers currently favour him.

The other statement

States that MPs SHOULD in fact decide the fate of the PM and when he/they should resign and they should call an election now.

Which is it?

Which one did Trudeau pick in 2021?

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Red tape is the municipal costs associated with building a home as well as the time it takes to get permits, inspections and other things from the city that prolong the timeframe to build a home.  Roughly speaking, it takes upwards of 8 years to build a hi rise from start to finish, i.e. buying the land to the finished product.  This is because of "red tape".  Also, the city's cut is close to 30% in some cases, whereby in turn the developer adds that cost to the price of the home.  City costs alone account for almost 30% of the cost of a condo in Vancouver.

As for building non strata, you are looking at one year simply to get a building permit, in some cases maybe longer.  Another year or more to build the home.  Red tape would also include all of the city costs that go into building a home.  My buddy is a builder.  New construction now requires Hydro lines to be underground and the builder has to pay for it.  That's an added cost to the project of $60k that is passed on to the buyer.  2x8 construction is now needed in Vancouver and Richmond, which adds to the cost, insulation, heating systems, hvac, plumbing, electrical.  Look at the new step codes in the BC net zero building codes introduced last year.  Here is the article that explains it.

Guide to Net Zero Homes in BC, Canada | Bercum Builders

So municipal issue not Trudeau got it

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

10 years ago you could buy a condo in downtown Vancouver for under $500k.  Easily doable for a single income if you had a reasonable down payment.  Back then we didn’t have the mortgage stress test that was legislated under the Trudeau government. 

Nuff said.  Also the average wage for people working in Vancouver was far higher than the rest of BC

Again....Canada is not Vancouver.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Agreed. What is PP actually going to do?

I've seen slogans and little hand signals. 

Hopefully more than nothing, Trudeau has had ideas to fix things but the current government has failed to execute on most of their plans for the past 10 years. Hoping the new government stacks the cabinet with capable ministers (preferably business professionals). 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Is it sad?

If they are that important, let's  make more suburbs accessible by train. 

Oh, just my opinion. I like houses. I have hobbies that take up lots of space 🙂

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

In big cities that’s great! If people want a yard, like they grew up with, there’s lots of affordable detached homes with yards all across this great nation. And even the smallest towns have a Timmy’s. 

You are correct sir.

One of my fam just sold a sweet little 2 bedroom cottage with ocean views. 20 mins from Nanaimo, 10 from Parksville. $515k.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Everyone had a car lol

While Americans bought the majority of vehicles, Canada's love affair with the car was still growing. In 1946, there was one car for every 10 Canadians, but by 1956, it was one car for every five. Ontario and British Columbia had the highest concentration of cars by mid-decade.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

No, you are ignoring the fact that Trudeau did in 2021 exactly what PP is trying to do today.  What’s good for the goose is also good for the gander. 

No.  I am not.  I am not speaking of Trudeau.  You are trying to shift the conversation.  I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy in your statement in wich you claim MPs should not dictate elections/PMs resignations while also saying they should in this instance.

You can try to shift it any way you want with feeble sand tasteless red herrings but it doesn't fly here sir.

If you are looking for bait I can give you a nibble while also using YOUR statement.

The PEOPLE decide the PM.  The PEOPLE decide the PM should sit for 4 years.  So therefore until the term is served out the PEOPLE will happily wait will they not?  The PEOPLE should not be forced to do this at the whims of a petulant power hungry career politician who is only seeking to further their own agendas because that is against the will of the PEOPLE.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

While Americans bought the majority of vehicles, Canada's love affair with the car was still growing. In 1946, there was one car for every 10 Canadians, but by 1956, it was one car for every five. Ontario and British Columbia had the highest concentration of cars by mid-decade.

70 years ago was 1954.  My earliest memories would be 1962.  Everyone had a car in their driveway.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Your first article talks about a woman who was making $36,000 per year. Considering I was talking about someone making $100k per year in 2013, the two don’t even correlate. I didn’t bother to read the rest of the articles. 

I’m sorry, but even in 2013 you weren’t getting ahead in life making $36k per year. Today that’s barely minimum wage and you would be considered at the poverty line. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hopefully more than nothing, Trudeau has had ideas to fix things but the current government has failed to execute on most of their plans for the past 10 years. Hoping the new government stacks the cabinet with capable ministers (preferably business professionals). 

Considering that everything Poilivre had suggested will control contribute towards destroying the country, doing nothing is the best we can hope from this worthless piece of trash.  He's already nazified his party to the point there won't be anyone available who's fit for public office as a cabinet minister.

I assume these are all adult Canadians?

Otherwise 1 in 5 back then is pretty much every household. 

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No.  I am not.  I am not speaking of Trudeau.  You are trying to shift the conversation.  I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy in your statement in wich you claim MPs should not dictate elections/PMs resignations while also saying they should in this instance.

You can try to shift it any way you want with feeble sand tasteless red herrings but it doesn't fly here sir.

If you are looking for bait I can give you a nibble while also using YOUR statement.

The PEOPLE decide the PM.  The PEOPLE decide the PM should sit for 4 years.  So therefore until the term is served out the PEOPLE will happily wait will they not?  The PEOPLE should not be forced to do this at the whims of a petulant power hungry career politician who is only seeking to further their own agendas because that is against the will of the PEOPLE.

Well at least you called me sir. I’m feeling the love now Hippy…   😊

I agree. We should have had an election in 2023. Trudeau fucked it all up with his narcissistic behaviour by having an election after only 2 years. So he should resign now and let someone else run the country. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • chaos 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well at least you called me sir. I’m feeling the love now Hippy…   😊

I agree. We should have had an election in 2023. Trudeau fucked it all up with his narcissistic behaviour.  So he should resign now and let someone else run the country. 

The problem is that the vermin leading the opposition is unfit to hold any kind of public office and is incapable of acting like a reasonable facsimile of an adult.  It would be irresponsible to resign and subject Canadians to Poilivre and the atrocities he is planning on committing against them.  Poilivre should resign and be replaced with an actual human.

Edited by King Heffy

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I assume these are all adult Canadians?

Otherwise 1 in 5 back then is pretty much every household. 

I would assume it is per eligible drivers but not really worth diving too deep into. The point was that minus the red tape building a home in 1954 compared to 2024 was likely not easier, given the advances of the past 70 years (mainly transportation, communication, and technology). 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Your first article talks about a woman who was making $36,000 per year. Considering I was talking about someone making $100k per year in 2013. So, the two don’t even correlate. I didn’t bother to read the rest of the articles. 

I’m sorry, but even in 2013 you weren’t getting ahead in life making $36k per year. Today that’s barely minimum wage and you would be considered at the poverty line. 

Ahhh so now we're shifting the goal posts.  It's a person making a single income vastly ABOVE the median average in vancouver in 2014, not the average person. got it.  So which of these is your "average single income earner capable of purchasing a dwelling in the vancouver area"

https://www.broadbentinstitute.ca/richest_tenth_of_b_c_families_has_half_of_province_s_wealth_report

The median after-tax income of Canadian economic families and persons not in an economic family was $55,600 in 2014, up 2.6% from 2013.

The median after-tax income of economic families of two or more people rose 2.4% from 2013 to $75,700 in 2014, while for persons not in an economic family, the median was virtually unchanged, at $29,100.

• Upvote 1

I would assume it is per eligible drivers but not really worth diving too deep into. The point was that minus the red tape building a home in 1954 compared to 2024 was likely not easier, given the advances of the past 70 years (mainly transportation, communication, and technology). 

They had power tools you jabroni. It's not like we were Amishing together houses. Homes were easier, cheaper and less complicated to build 70 years ago. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They had power tools you jabroni. It's not like we were Amishing together houses. Homes were easier, cheaper and less complicated to build 70 years ago. 

Not to mention building codes weren't as onerous back then as they are now.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The government’s job is to enact legislation to help with supply of homes, cut the red tape, produce a thriving economy where people have a shot at a decent life. 

It’s up to each individual if they want to tough it out and stay in the city or move elsewhere where it’s more affordable for them. 

The government however should be doing everything possible to increase GDP, lower taxes and put more money into people’s pockets. 

Ok, but we all wanted an equity boom. You made a lot of money off it.

52 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

We are actually seeing a lot of housing projects now.