Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, someone making $100k a year could buy a house in East Van in 2013. At the very least you could have bought a half duplex, townhome or even a condo with an average wage with one income. 

The payments would take over 70% of your take home pay .... An absolute recipe for.bankrupcy

Your math only works with a massive down payment 

What is being discussed is workers with 5% down getting into the market 

I can't think of a single bank that would provide a mortgage that eats up to 75% of your take home pay 

2 people making 100k per year could pull it off as it would be around 35 to 40% of their combined income for housing which is well within the normal range 

There is zero chance one job in the average income range ... Or even slightly higher ... Has been in range to afford Vancouver housing for a very long time 

Coquitlam, Burnaby maybe ... Parts of Surrey and Langley yes 2013 a single worker at 100k could have gotten them into the housing market .. Vancouver not a chance in hell without a massive helping hand on a downpayment 

For shits and giggles did the TD Bank mortgage qualifier online

With an income of 125k and 20k down, $500 a month in all bills and zero loans or credit cards

Qualified for a mortgage up to 315k

To buy a 800k house that would require a 500k down payment ..... 

Edited by Sapper

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They had power tools you jabroni. It's not like we were Amishing together houses. Homes were easier, cheaper and less complicated to build 70 years ago. 

I wish we had it as easy as they did back then, old people have just been lying this whole time about their hardships apparently.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sapper said:

The payments would take over 70% of your take home pay .... An absolute recipe for.bankrupcy

Your math only works with a massive down payment 

What is being discussed is workers with 5% down getting into the market 

I can't think of a single bank that would provide a mortgage that eats up to 75% of your take home pay 

2 people making 100k per year could pull it off as it would be around 35 to 40% of their combined income for housing which is well within the normal range 

There is zero chance one job in the average income range ... Or even slightly higher ... Has been in range to afford Vancouver housing for a very long time 

Coquitlam, Burnaby maybe ... Parts of Surrey and Langley yes 2013 a single worker at 100k could have gotten them into the housing market .. Vancouver not a chance in hell without a massive helping hand on a downpayment 

Of course you need a downpayment. Did I say the home would be bought with no money down?  I’m not Tom Vu trying to sell people on no money down homes. 

You could buy an actual detached home in Vancouver in 2013 for under $700k. I am very familiar with the market back then because that is when my family sold my mother’s house.  We got $900k for her place and it was only 20 years old. 

So making $100k with a reasonable downpayment of $140k, a mortgage of $600k for a purchase price of $700k, your monthly payment back then with no stress test was around $3000 per month. You would have easily qualified for a mortgage making $100k per year.

Even if you only had half that amount of downpayment of $70k, you would have been borderline qualifying with a $3800 payment. With good credit the bank could have pushed the deal through. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Ahhh so now we're shifting the goal posts.  It's a person making a single income vastly ABOVE the median average in vancouver in 2014, not the average person. got it.  So which of these is your "average single income earner capable of purchasing a dwelling in the vancouver area"

https://www.broadbentinstitute.ca/richest_tenth_of_b_c_families_has_half_of_province_s_wealth_report

The median after-tax income of Canadian economic families and persons not in an economic family was $55,600 in 2014, up 2.6% from 2013.

The median after-tax income of economic families of two or more people rose 2.4% from 2013 to $75,700 in 2014, while for persons not in an economic family, the median was virtually unchanged, at $29,100.

I never said a person making only $36k back in 2013 could buy an actual detached home. 

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I wish we had it as easy as they did back then, old people have just been lying this whole time about their hardships apparently.  

Right.

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you.

🤥

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

The problem is that the vermin leading the opposition is unfit to hold any kind of public office and is incapable of acting like a reasonable facsimile of an adult.  It would be irresponsible to resign and subject Canadians to Poilivre and the atrocities he is planning on committing against them.  Poilivre should resign and be replaced with an actual human.

Trudeau can easily resign and the Liberal government can pick somebody else to run the country. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I never said a person making only $36k back in 2013 could buy an actual detached home. 

So only a specialized type of single income earner in a top bracket with a large down payment and little appreciable debt in a specific market for a specific type of home.

Got it.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So only a specialized type of single income earner in a top bracket with a large down payment and little appreciable debt in a specific market for a specific type of home.

Got it.

Did you watch a lot of Tom Vu commercials back in the day or something?  Not sure how you ever figured you could buy a home with little to no downpayment. Also, $36k was not a lot of money even in the 90’s. Could you buy a home in East Van in the 1990’s with no downpayment and a $36k income? 

Why won't Pierre get his security clearance?

Wanting to get specific candidates defeated?  Hmm

A foreign government tried to get a Liberal candidate defeated and a former MP is suspected of having worked to influence parliamentary business on behalf of a foreign government, the public inquiry into interference in Canadian politics was told Friday.

Officials from the Canadian Security and Intelligence Service (CSIS) unveiled two new examples of such foreign interference, in addition to four examples that had already been released publicly. 

Officials did not name the individuals suspected in the newest examples. However, they did say the former MP's attempts to influence parliamentary business did not have the impact the foreign government was seeking. 

Officials said China is the most active country trying to interfere in Canada's affairs, followed by India. However, they warned that the current conflict in the Middle East could result in Iran trying to interfere in the next federal election.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why won't Pierre get his security clearance?

Wanting to get specific candidates defeated?  Hmm

A foreign government tried to get a Liberal candidate defeated and a former MP is suspected of having worked to influence parliamentary business on behalf of a foreign government, the public inquiry into interference in Canadian politics was told Friday.

Officials from the Canadian Security and Intelligence Service (CSIS) unveiled two new examples of such foreign interference, in addition to four examples that had already been released publicly. 

Officials did not name the individuals suspected in the newest examples. However, they did say the former MP's attempts to influence parliamentary business did not have the impact the foreign government was seeking. 

Officials said China is the most active country trying to interfere in Canada's affairs, followed by India. However, they warned that the current conflict in the Middle East could result in Iran trying to interfere in the next federal election.

Yet you care less of the proven 11 members who have yet to be named who colluded with China.  

Edited by bolt

26 minutes ago, bolt said:

Yet you care less of the proven 11 members who have yet to be named who colluded with China.  

That's a bold statement.  Erroneous and way off base but ok.

To say I don't care when my every statement has been the following is kind of amusing, especially as NOBODY has been named but the allegations are starting to lean one way on the political spectrum which is now lending weight to the concerns as to why the Conservative PM hopeful has not gone and gotten, but refused to get his security clearance.

Here's the funny thing, as of now NONE have been named but we now have 5 statements in which the levels of interference were allegedly only against Liberal candidates or to influence conservative part leadership and mp races.

But ok.

Let's say for instance that the interference from China/India/Iran was all to the benefit of the LIbs.  They need to be thrown out of office and placed in jail period.  That is essentially treason and I don't care who a person is they need to be in jail.  Zero tolerance.

Now, can you say the same about Polievre and his potential assistance in his leadership race?  Or this story in which a Lib was targeted for attack?  What if the actual names come out and they are a majority Conservative?  Will you be as outraged and want the same level of punishment?

Edited by Warhippy

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Another CSIS report on two politicians implicated for influence peddling for China. No names released. Absolutely bizarre that Canada can be undermined in this way with absolute silence. The CSIS reports should be largely disclosed by now. 

What kind of leader of a party would not want to know the details? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

That is what is concerning.

Ignorance is bliss is only valid if you are a patron in a restaurant or in a steam room and usually is spoken of specifically about not knowing the cleanliness of the facility or kitchen.  It has worlds of meaning in a relationship by ignoring red flags with a partners behaviour

But when it comes to a potential leader of a nation.  Ignorance is bliss is NOT acceptable and refusing to have clearance when our democracy is at risk from foreign powers is a massive red flag.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Thats one of the strangest things.

Leadership means 'willing to go first'.

How anyone could follow a guy like PP is beyond me. Just a shell of a human. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

That is what is concerning.

Ignorance is bliss is only valid if you are a patron in a restaurant or in a steam room and usually is spoken of specifically about not knowing the cleanliness of the facility or kitchen.  It has worlds of meaning in a relationship by ignoring red flags with a partners behaviour

But when it comes to a potential leader of a nation.  Ignorance is bliss is NOT acceptable and refusing to have clearance when our democracy is at risk from foreign powers is a massive red flag.

Soundbites over safety.

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

1. one whose political m.o. finds it impractical to use (ie. instead of just farming rage)

2. one who adheres to the mantra of plausible deniability

3. one who is compromised and can't get the clearance

There's three possible reasons above. And that's just off the top of my head, so there are likely other reasons that pp has been subscribing to.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thats one of the strangest things.

Leadership means 'willing to go first'.

How anyone could follow a guy like PP is beyond me. Just a shell of a human. 

Funny most people think he is more of a human than JT aka the clown who failed Canada.