Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My friend had them done.  They looked great 20 years ago after she had all the kids.  Now, they have actually increased in size and she says they are very painful sometimes.  She's thinking about having the reverse surgery now...

We're in our 40s, she has a 10-12 year exit strategy.

I'm not so concerned.

Just have to survive long enough for her to not leave me for some young boy

• Huggy Bear 1

On 9/13/2024 at 7:40 AM, aGENT said:

Do I think politicians engage in politicking? Yes. 

Do I think she was "tough" on him. Yes.

Do I think she took a few to many turns editorializing to an apparent agenda? Yes.

Do I think she was non-partisan? No. 

Do I think we see this treatment to other politicians regularly? Not often.

Was there a "gotcha" moment? Not really.

(Sorry for late response). Good response. I appreciate this.

Do you think Vassy is partisan 'right-wing' then? (I'd deduce that from your answers anyways)

I personally think she would be just as hard if the Cons they were in the same position; propping up a gov't people were increasingly unhappy with. (But to be fair, and I say this honestly, I'm looking forward to being proven wrong)

Not having a gotcha moment isn't the point imo. I'd like more pressure on politicians of all parties, including the Cons, me being critical of the NDP/Trudeau doesn't mean I view PP as a savior - I do not.

But ultimately this apparatus steals our money for their malfeasance & not only feels comfortable doing it but also often gets a pat on the back for doing it. I would like things to be a little harder on all of them (and also, to be fair, them paid far better b/c I think incentives are extremely important & they aren't paid enough to control a country as powerful as ours honestly imo).

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

(Sorry for late response). Good response. I appreciate this.

Do you think Vassy is partisan 'right-wing' then? (I'd deduce that from your answers anyways)

I personally think she would be just as hard if the Cons they were in the same position; propping up a gov't people were increasingly unhappy with. (But to be fair, and I say this honestly, I'm looking forward to being proven wrong)

Not having a gotcha moment isn't the point imo. I'd like more pressure on politicians of all parties, including the Cons, me being critical of the NDP/Trudeau doesn't mean I view PP as a savior - I do not.

But ultimately this apparatus steals our money for their malfeasance & not only feels comfortable doing it but also often gets a pat on the back for doing it. I would like things to be a little harder on all of them (and also, to be fair, them paid far better b/c I think incentives are extremely important & they aren't paid enough to control a country as powerful as ours honestly imo).

IMHO Canadians should always ask who's rice bowl benefits from whatever action happens. Political parties are simply a overlay of government rule and direction. The civil service controls much of what we see and percieve to be true. I appreciate that society needs a continuity beyond the politicians and the civil service provides that. My issue is who oversees the civil service and rewards or removes workers who do or don't perform well? The classic example is the PMO's office where unelected civil servants exert major influence and direction. 

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Canadians should always ask who's rice bowl benefits from whatever action happens. Political parties are simply a overlay of government rule and direction. The civil service controls much of what we see and percieve to be true. I appreciate that society needs a continuity beyond the politicians and the civil service provides that. My issue is who oversees the civil service and rewards or removes workers who do or don't perform well? The classic example is the PMO's office where unelected civil servants exert major influence and direction. 

its all here: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission.html

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

But ultimately this apparatus steals our money for their malfeasance & not only feels comfortable doing it but also often gets a pat on the back for doing it. I would like things to be a little harder on all of them

I just don't understand you. Where does this kind of thinking come from? What is it that you think the public service has done to you? 

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My sister-in-law runs a +30 person department in the federal government in Ottawa. She has become very concerned over the lack of effective oversight and direction. Projects are mostly not reviewed in an effetive manner. 

are the outcomes of the projects being met? or is it that people aren't sure if they are?

this kind of thing isn't hard to fix. 

This isn't a political thing per se, but I'm curious, does Canada have the equivalent of Miranda Rights (right to remain silent) when a citizen is being investigated for a crime?

When I'm bored, I will sometimes watch police cam videos on YouTube.  It amazes me how many people think that they can talk their way out of being arrested instead of just keeping their mouth shut and leaving the heavy lifting to a lawyer.  Even if you're not guilty of a crime, you can say something clumsy enough that could get yourself convicted of one.

Is that something stupid that people do in Canada also?

I've only had to deal with Canadian police once and that was only for speeding on the QEW, and that was almost 30 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

This isn't a political thing per se, but I'm curious, does Canada have the equivalent of Miranda Rights (right to remain silent) when a citizen is being investigated for a crime?

When I'm bored, I will sometimes watch police cam videos on YouTube.  It amazes me how many people think that they can talk their way out of being arrested instead of just keeping their mouth shut and leaving the heavy lifting to a lawyer.  Even if you're not guilty of a crime, you can say something clumsy enough that could get yourself convicted of one.

Is that something stupid that people do in Canada also?

I've only had to deal with Canadian police once and that was only for speeding on the QEW, and that was almost 30 years ago.

We have “Charter” rights that end up being quite similar. But stupid people exist on both sides of our shared border. 

• Vintage 1