Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

15 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

You're probably correct. The somewhat recent (?) controversy regarding cleaning up those defunct wells, returning unspent funding to the feds, etc, was disheartening. 

I don't actually have an issue with the general idea of limiting placement of (any) structure, (particularly where it would impact agriculture, less so tourism), but we'll have to see how it comes into effect. 

Never been a fan of the laws regarding mineral rights. God money, and all that.

I agree with you as to limiting placement with regard to agriculture but it’s the hypocrisy of attacking wind & solar when her roots are as an O&G lobbyist. Concern for losing arable farmland to solar farms could have some merit if  these new rules weren’t coming from a government that is supposedly anti-red tape, and absolutely is for oil & gas. 

If she is truly worried about Albertans in general and farmers in particular she might want to have a look at Suncor’s tailings ponds along the Athabasca River upstream from Fort Chip that contains a trillion litres of toxic byproducts.

https://thenarwhal.ca/newsletter-fort-chipewyan-residents-portraits-oilsands/

IMG_1891.jpeg

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

50 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

You're probably correct. The somewhat recent (?) controversy regarding cleaning up those defunct wells, returning unspent funding to the feds, etc, was disheartening. 

I don't actually have an issue with the general idea of limiting placement of (any) structure, (particularly where it would impact agriculture, less so tourism), but we'll have to see how it comes into effect. 

Never been a fan of the laws regarding mineral rights. God money, and all that.

Similar to mineral rights are the utilities rights to use your land, attach their stuff to your buildings and such, I am not a fan of that being baked into the land titles. 
Only person I have ever heard of to turn it around on them was my nephew. He invested in a restaurant that had natural gas affixed to the building. He was a bit angry they were billing him for having the equipment on his building but he wasn't using any natural gas: so he got a bill for like 13 bucks a month for nothing every month. 
He started to research and soon learned his was one of the few buildings where the right of way or easement or whatever it is in the paperwork, was NEVER put on the paperwork of the Title documents. 

So as the businessman he is, he billed them for the vertical square footage their equipment took up on his building. When he sold the business some years later, he was still collecting about 38 bucks a month from THEM and not having to pay their 13 a month in fees. So he was netting over 50 a month from Fortis or whatever they are now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maninthebox said:

1) It's irrelevant how much Suzie gets. My curiosity tends toward the less than 10% of the collected carbon tax that isn't slated for wealth redistribution.

The Australian example doesn't appear to answer any of my questions. It wasn't in effect long enough to bear much fruit. The additional cost of the tax appears to have been born largely by the consumer. Those costs disappeared after the repeal. The conjecture that a longer carbon program would likely have led to further 'green energy' development is probably accurate, though such development has continued at a (speculatively) slower pace in some fields, as it has virtually everywhere. Australia being heavily reliant on imported coal is an obvious concern, but without a greater understanding of their politics, it would seem Australians didn't feel a carbon tax was part of their solution. 

2) This is all a very basic summary of the information I read. I did not look up opinion pieces or similar articles. Was there something else I should have paid more attention to?

1) Suzie seemed pretty important in your first post.  If she's not now, fine.

2) Brexit like regret.  Maybe only among academics and other lefties but those are my kind of people.

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

1) Suzie seemed pretty important in your first post.  If she's not now, fine.

2) Brexit like regret.  Maybe only among academics and other lefties but those are my kind of people.

hmm I thought I was clear about that. While I don't particularly care about the wealth redistribution aspect of the carbon tax, I question the validity of a 'tax on pollution' that merely shuffles over 90% of the funds from one person's pocket to another's. These 'rebates' tend to be the main focus of debate for people on both sides of the issue. I would prefer to see/hear/read more about what happens with the other 10%, that presumably is earmarked to do... something... helpful for the environment.

For example, if I pay $1'000 and Suzie receives $900 of that, what is my other $100 doing? I know what I could do with that $100 that would positively effect my personal impact on the environment. The government should be trying to convince me that they will do something as effective, or better. Instead, all I ever see is that Suzie gets $900 so I should be content. And on the other side, all I see the opposition saying is 'Suzie only gets $700' or whatever nonsense.

46 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

hmm I thought I was clear about that. While I don't particularly care about the wealth redistribution aspect of the carbon tax, I question the validity of a 'tax on pollution' that merely shuffles over 90% of the funds from one person's pocket to another's. These 'rebates' tend to be the main focus of debate for people on both sides of the issue. I would prefer to see/hear/read more about what happens with the other 10%, that presumably is earmarked to do... something... helpful for the environment.

For example, if I pay $1'000 and Suzie receives $900 of that, what is my other $100 doing? I know what I could do with that $100 that would positively effect my personal impact on the environment. The government should be trying to convince me that they will do something as effective, or better. Instead, all I ever see is that Suzie gets $900 so I should be content. And on the other side, all I see the opposition saying is 'Suzie only gets $700' or whatever nonsense.

Taking money from polluters based on how much they pollute tends to reduce pollution.  It prompts companies to figure out ways to pollute less so they pay less.  For those reasons alone I don't mind taking their money and transferring it around. From what I've read all the money is accounted for and there is no missing $100.

Australians have found pollution to have increased since their carbon tax was repealed. For that reason alone I want the carbon tax to stay. 

• Cheers 1

Burger King wants a manager for $48K. Experts say foreign workers aren’t the answer

A job listing at a Toronto-area Burger King has prompted observers and experts to wonder whether the temporary foreign workers program is being used to avoid paying higher salaries to Canadians.

On Sept. 25, a Burger King in Mississauga, Ont., posted an opening for a restaurant manager position on the federal government’s online job bank.

The post drew criticism from some social media users, who noted that underneath the posting, a banner reads, “This employer has applied for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire a foreign worker to fill labour or skills shortages on a temporary basis.”

This means that the employer, unable to hire a domestic worker for the post, has requested permission from the federal government to open the position up to foreign workers.

A spokesperson for Burger King told Global News that the posting “is directly related to one or more open management positions in the Mississauga area that have not been filled for several months after advertising across employment platforms and not receiving any qualified candidate."

https://globalnews.ca/news/10808022/foreign-workers-canada-domestic-wages/

This is the type of crap that needs to be addressed.

Edited by Ricky Ravioli
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Burger King wants a manager for $48K. Experts say foreign workers aren’t the answer

A job listing at a Toronto-area Burger King has prompted observers and experts to wonder whether the temporary foreign workers program is being used to avoid paying higher salaries to Canadians.

On Sept. 25, a Burger King in Mississauga, Ont., posted an opening for a restaurant manager position on the federal government’s online job bank.

The post drew criticism from some social media users, who noted that underneath the posting, a banner reads, “This employer has applied for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire a foreign worker to fill labour or skills shortages on a temporary basis.”

This means that the employer, unable to hire a domestic worker for the post, has requested permission from the federal government to open the position up to foreign workers.

A spokesperson for Burger King told Global News that the posting “is directly related to one or more open management positions in the Mississauga area that have not been filled for several months after advertising across employment platforms and not receiving any qualified candidate."

So you want the Government to tell buissnes owners how much the can pay their managers?  How very NDP'ish of you..😉

15 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What would you suggest?

The best thing people could do is not eat this crap, but outside of that what actual intervention do you want.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Agreed. The conservatives are the last party that will address it BTW. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

What would you suggest?

The best thing people could do is not eat this crap, but outside of that what actual intervention do you want.

Not allowing them to keep Canadian wages artificially low by abusing TFW programs? It's crap like this, businesses refusing to pay market wages etc that are contributing to the constant spread in wage gap. 

Don't "tax the rich", pay the poor.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Canada's inflation rate falls to 1.6% as per the news today.

Later PP calls a news conference and how we have the worse inflation rate of any country.

FB_IMG_1729003327256.jpg

Lowered gasoline prices?  You mean that gouging at the pumps wasn't due to the carbon tax?  Say it ain't so.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

And the current government has done what exactly?

Not enough. Why do you want to "punish" them by electing people who will do even less? 

31 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So, if Trudeau proposed tomorrow a $27 min wage, you would vote for that? 

Don't need to. Just let them compete for employees in the open market, like they're supposed to. Free market works just fine for three companies when they're talking about product prices and profits, why is it different when it comes to employee pay, benefits, hours etc?

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

That's not surprising for Torronna.   keep in mind that there are more immigrants, TFW's, refugees, nonpermanent residents, foreign students and illegals and tourist overstays in that city than "Real" Canadians - most of which abandoned and fled out of that "soul-less" concrete hell-hole years ago.  That's a FACT BTW!

https://immigration.ca/a-snapshot-of-toronto-51-of-residents-were-born-outside-canada-vital-signs-report-finds/#:~:text=Immigration News Articles-,A Snapshot of Toronto%3A 51% of Residents Were Born Outside,Canada%2C Vital Signs Report Finds

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo

The shine seems to be coming off Poilievre's penny among young voters. 

Cons enjoyed 46.57% support among the fickle age demographic on Sept 24th of this year.

17 days later: 33.69% on the 11th of October. a 13% drop in support with some going Liberal but more going NDP and a bit more even going Green. 

It is the most fickle of voter demographics as any time in the last year all three parties have held the lead there. 

A drop of over 5% as well in the age 30 to 39 catagory, split 60/40 to the NDP/Libs.

Cons are now sitting at just 34.54% among the 40 to 49 age group. down from a peak of 52.75% in April. (historically cons can't form a majority with 34% or less support)

Still going strong with the 50-59 demo at 47.78%, although they were dipping below 40% on Aug 30th, some big fluctuations here too. Noteworthy is the NDP has cratered in this demographic down to 11.66% canada wide. Liberals are hovering over 23%

the biggest voter block and the oldest, those 60+ still have the Cons and Libs statistically tied, within the margin of error at 35.66% Cons, and 33.00% Libs. A month ago this demo was at 37.22% Liberal support and 30.14% Conservative support. A week ago it was 35.02% Cons and 30.43% Libs. 

Libs are back on top in the Atlantic Provinces, closely followed by the CONS who plunged steeply down 14% in two weeks time while the LIBS shot up 17% in the same two weeks.

Quebec shows a tight three way race with the Block and COns down a little bit and the liberals up a little bit in what is now a statistical three way tie. 

Ontario a year ago was a tie between cons and libs and on the 11th of October this year sits at 46.11% Conservative support to 27.47% Liberal support. NDP at 15.25% and greens up nearly double to 7.97%

The prairies have always been a runaway Conservative stronghold for a few generations at least. STill there today, CONS: 49.53%, NDP: 24.76%. Notable is that the Conservative brand is below 50% in territory they are traditionally over 60% in. 

BC, the most chaotic of voter intentions among the provinces: the NDP are on top for the first time in a year. NDP: 39.28%, CONS: 33.66%, LIBS: 17.27%, GRN: 9.78%. Notworthy here is that the CONS have been sliding since a 'peak poilievre' moment of 59.7% support for CONS on April 19th 2024. Half a year has seen the CONS lose 26% of the vote here in BC> WOW. 

Female voters Canada Wide used to favour the LIberals by a wide margin, and today it is a fairly tight three way race: CON: 28.7%, LIB: 27.64% and NDP: 24.76%.

Male voters Canada Wide still strongly favour the Conservatives, albeit down from the peak in March. Currently 49.23% and in march was 53.84%. LIbs barely edge out NDP for second place almost splitting the remainder between them. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

The weirdness of it is that a foriegn worker also will not be a qualified candidate, the difference is they are willing to run an entire franchise for less than 50k a year, but will still need training to become qualified. I hope this application is denied. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

😵

One of the best things that could happen for Canadian politics would be a Trump loss. His loss to Biden took some of the air out of the MAGA movement, another loss would do the same. The federal and provincial Cons are emulating the US Republicans too much as is. 

US politics inevitably affect us, the Dems are a centrist part at best, if not just a center right party. But them getting in would still likely have a more positive affect on Canadian politics. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1