Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

How about the war going on in BC between the United Party??? lol, and the Conservatives. The right doesn't get it, so how do you take them seriously?

If things end up going even remotely the same way as they have been with the PPC and Conservatives federally, we may be with an NDP government for a while. There are only so many voters to go around.

The Conservatives don't even have to win seats in order to make an impact. In any riding that's close, they'd just need to take away 1000 votes (or less) here and there from voters who would otherwise vote BC United and suddenly we have an NDP riding where there wouldn't be otherwise.

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If things end up going even remotely the same way as they have been with the PPC and Conservatives federally, we may be with an NDP government for a while. There are only so many voters to go around.

I am working on a small project right now on the BC situation, all signs (although I am not finished data compilations yet) point to more NDP seats in the next cycle, rather than less. Several factors but among the top three are the sort of coming of age of the Conservative brand in BC. Not enough to make any meaningful gains like Official Party status in the LeG but enough to elect even more BC NDP members. I suspect the Green's will hold two seats, but only one of the ones they currently have, while they will be semi competitive in 4 ridings. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am working on a small project right now on the BC situation, all signs (although I am not finished data compilations yet) point to more NDP seats in the next cycle, rather than less. Several factors but among the top three are the sort of coming of age of the Conservative brand in BC. Not enough to make any meaningful gains like Official Party status in the LeG but enough to elect even more BC NDP members. I suspect the Green's will hold two seats, but only one of the ones they currently have, while they will be semi competitive in 4 ridings. 

Greens staying makes sense as they're voters who would likely be against the right wing. The only real threat to those seats in my opinion would be if the NDP managed to win over some of those voters somehow, which I can't think of how they'd be able to manage that.

(Or the Green Party shoots themselves in the foot which is possible and wouldn't be the first time)

Edited by The Lock

57 minutes ago, stawns said:

Guess what?  In Canada, most people are on the left and most are sick of the bs culture war the right is waging.  We outnumber you by a substantial margin, deal with it

I lied to you. I'll give you guys something to chat about because I know you guys hate Alberta so you can attack it a little bit here I'm sure. By the way, your post is kind of you engaging in your culture war lol.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/david-staples-guilbeaults-colonialist-plan-for-alberta-is-a-desecration-of-canadas-constitution

Edited by Ryan Strome

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Guess what?  In Canada, most people are on the left and most are sick of the bs culture war the right is waging.  We outnumber you by a substantial margin, deal with it

Actually, most people are centrist really...

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/politics-in-canada-the-rich-equally-on-right-and-left-but-overall-most-people-in-centre

If you need even further proof of that, just look at the two biggest parties in power and where they lie (ie. not far off center, or at least not supposed to be far off center if we look at their campaigns).

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Actually, most people are centrist really...

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/politics-in-canada-the-rich-equally-on-right-and-left-but-overall-most-people-in-centre

If you need even further proof of that, just look at the two biggest parties in power and where they lie (ie. not far off center, or at least not supposed to be far off center if we look at their campaigns).

Though not by tons, the Libs are a party on the left and most who vote lib would consider themselves on the left side of the spectrum, I'd say.  Certainly an NDP-Lib coalition is on the left 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Though not by tons, the Libs are a party on the left and most who vote lib would consider themselves on the left side of the spectrum, I'd say.  Certainly an NDP-Lib coalition is on the left 

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that. My guess is that it's a spread as I'm sure there are a lot of centrists such as me who only voted for the Liberals because the Conservatives can't get their act together.

There is no party that is directly at where I'm at on the spectrum so people like me are forced to choose towards the right or the left.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That's why I included them with the Greens and NDP to illustrate just how much voters tend to be on that side.  The 2019 election saw just over 56% of votes go to those 3 parties.

i'm on this page to talk hockey and criticism of the management team is something that is accepted/

a brief look at this thread and it seems that criticism of the current management teams of our country, the BC NDP and Federal Liberals, is not really tolerated.  Is that an accurate statement, I've not read through the whole thread, and if it is an accurate statement, why would that be, what about these current governments is above reproach?   

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

That's why I included them with the Greens and NDP to illustrate just how much voters tend to be on that side.  The 2019 election saw just over 56% of votes go to those 3 parties.

Well, like I was just saying though, how many of those voters who voted Liberal are actually to the right of the Liberals but not far enough right to vote Conservative? That 56% is rather misleading in my opinion if we're to use that to describe "who's left leaning". I'd argue that, if anything, that 56% would then be the maximum value it could be and the actual number's going to be less than that because you have to take out the centrists like me who voted Liberal.

(edit: if I can type Conservative correctly that would be nice lol)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

i'm on this page to talk hockey and criticism of the management team is something that is accepted/

a brief look at this thread and it seems that criticism of the current management teams of our country, the BC NDP and Federal Liberals, is not really tolerated.  Is that an accurate statement, I've not read through the whole thread, and if it is an accurate statement, why would that be, what about these current governments is above reproach?   

No one is saying the government is perfect.  I'm definitely not a fan of the proposed reduction in military spending.  Find a legitimately better alternative without the social conservatism and I'll vote for it.

Just now, King Heffy said:

No one is saying the government is perfect.  I'm definitely not a fan of the proposed reduction in military spending.  Find a legitimately better alternative without the social conservatism and I'll vote for it.

But but, the government is perfect! There! I said it! It's perfect at being imperfect!

14 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

Yeah unfortunately this was the same in the former CDC and it's just continuing now. If you don't support left-wing parties, you get attacked name called never-ending really. There used to be a few people that I could have a legitimate conversation with, but that doesn't seem to be the case so much. They probably gave up on off topic talk. It's sad really. In my opinion, it kind of just shows how narrow-minded those in the so-called left camp are. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Yeah, the issue with your assessment is not all liberals are left wing in which some of your cohorts are telling us that the liberals in fact, aren't left-wing. In fact that was @stawns who said that to me. So I'm not sure what he's actually talking about cuz he's contradicting himself. Sounds like my grade 9 social studies teacher. Anyway, the liberals are never known as the left wing party. They were known as a center party so there's far more center voters than there is left voters.

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I mean I guess I could give you a chance to go delete it now, but should I maybe quote this comment you just made with the one a couple days ago when you said Trudeau and the liberals aren't left wing? It's too hard to keep up with you lol

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah, the issue with your assessment is not all liberals are left wing in which some of your cohorts are telling us that the liberals in fact, aren't left-wing. In fact that was @stawns who said that to me. So I'm not sure what he's actually talking about cuz he's contradicting himself. Sounds like my grade 9 social studies teacher. Anyway, the liberals are never known as the left wing party. They were known as a center party so there's far more center voters than there is left voters.

Well... the Liberals are SUPPOSED to be centrist. Are they at the moment? Not really. They've shifted left a bit.

(lol I feel like the thorn in everyone's side today)

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Thanks for the reply.  Agreed, military ppl work hard, have real world skills, deserve a raise and could be better utilized. 

What do you mean by "social conservatism"? 

In my opinion, we basically have an elected dictatorship.  If we can't or won't vote out the existing ruling parties, how would we hold our governments to account or expect change?   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Well... the Liberals are SUPPOSED to be centrist. Are they at the moment? Not really. They've shifted left a bit.

(lol I feel like the thorn in everyone's side today)

No no. I actually agree with you. That's the point I was making is they were always known for the Centre party and under Trudeau they've moved to the left but that doesn't change the fact that they still have Centre people voting for them like some of my family members in BC. So to assume just based on the parties in the house of Commons that kind of is a more left-wing country is not a good assessment.

1 minute ago, Future Considerations said:

Thanks for the reply.  Agreed, military ppl work hard, have real world skills, deserve a raise and could be better utilized. 

In my opinion, we basically have an elected dictatorship.  If we can't or won't vote out the existing ruling parties, how would we hold our governments to account or expect change?   

Bingo! This is what keeps getting said but but PP is no good. Okay so let's just stick with the status quo. That is a failure and almost every category.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

No no. I actually agree with you. That's the point I was making is they were always known for the Centre party and under Trudeau they've moved to the left but that doesn't change the fact that they still have Centre people voting for them like some of my family members in BC. So to assume just based on the parties in the house of Commons that kind of is a more left-wing country is not a good assessment.

Yeah, I know there's a lot of voters like me going "Now what? I hate all the parties." lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

Opposition of a woman's right to choose, against gay and trans rights, stricter drug prohibition, anti-immigrant. 

Edited by King Heffy